Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Guava is handling the fact that Alessandra is blowing Duke out of the water a lot better than I imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I am still angerly waiting for Epthanada-whatever to post again. You jerk.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't understand why Guava has been contradicting how far he has been into this game in every one of the last couple of videos. But the only thing he can keep consistent at least is that it seems like he hasen't beaten the game?

I mean with his love for Gunslinger snipers and his hate for Bulwark i can kinda see why :v:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

thefailtrain posted:

It still makes very little sense overall, like, why do they need to basically murder all the candidates to get the genetic material? Wouldn't you just need tissue samples so you can read the genome? Yes, yes, video game science, etc etc. It only gets more confusing when we hit the last mission, though.

The aliens never had a Dr. Vahlen so they only know how to take samples with explosives.

Their STD tests are even more unpleasant than ours.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Jade Star posted:

I went and checked ProfessorBooty's old Long War thread to find out.

:laugh:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Rick_Hunter posted:

I went and checked ProfessorBooty's old Long War thread to find out.

:laugh:

Is that one still dead, btw?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

^ its flagged for archiving, I haven't seen a reboot appear yet

Jade Star posted:

Avatar project checking in. And yeah, I picked the aussie accent cause it's usually hilarious to hear voice actors replicate a country drawl.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 2, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ephphatha posted:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Is that one still dead, btw?

he hasn't posted in almost a year, hopefully he and his co-commentator friend are doing okay

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

something something, wrong neighborhood.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Lime Tonics posted:

In theaters this summer: Free 'Liddy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That three wolves and the moon shirt but instead of wolves its chryssalids.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lime Tonics posted:

He died on the way to his home planet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

Ducktales_Moontheme.mid

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lime Tonics posted:

I cant :allears: hard enough. The changes to overwatch reaction fire in this game is a priceless gem, wonky moment and all.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I have to chuckle at the gun "charging up" effect not moving as the gun continues to move upward.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Alessandra would have done better if Jade had used the high cover directly next to where he ultimately put her. High cover on high ground is rare, man, why would you not use it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

I wish there was a multi wave Chrysallid Avenger defense mission so you could have dozens and dozens of cinematic overwatch murders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

he hasn't posted in almost a year, hopefully he and his co-commentator friend are doing okay

The optimist in me hopes that he got the base defense mission (timing would be about right) and got wiped so horribly that he threw his computer out the window.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

..and he's psyyy-ing a stairway....

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm gonna say that the Bureau isn't that bad of a game, and the end-game twist Jade talked about is actually really cool!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grapplejack posted:

I'm gonna say that the Bureau isn't that bad of a game, and the end-game twist Jade talked about is actually really cool!

It's a pretty fun game, truth told. MacKilligan (Sorry if I butchered your name) did a pretty fun LP of it with a member of the dev team. They had plans to do the Hanger 6 DLC, but that never surfaced.

I'd recommend you give the LP a watch, or just get the Bureau on the cheap right now. It's a solid Mass Effect 1 clone, but a fun one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

It's a pretty fun game, truth told. MacKilligan (Sorry if I butchered your name) did a pretty fun LP of it with a member of the dev team. They had plans to do the Hanger 6 DLC, but that never surfaced.

I'd recommend you give the LP a watch, or just get the Bureau on the cheap right now. It's a solid Mass Effect 1 clone, but a fun one.

Obligatory link to the LP thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666200. It's one of the better LPs, especially if you like hearing about the process of game development and how things change over time (and The Bureau changed significantly.)

It's also a pretty good game and I enjoyed it a lot.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also learning about modelers putting a nice floppy dong on one of the models.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SIGSEGV posted:

Also learning about modelers putting a nice floppy dong on one of the models.

I mean, why wouldn't you?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I just looked back at a (likely failed) ironman save in which I lost 4 soldiers in a single mission, all to a single grenade atop a building. They might have survived the grenade, but the fall was an unfortunate complication.

Today I noticed the mission name: Portent Omen

I feel like I should have known what was coming.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

AriadneThread posted:

I imagine they're fine but I'm not going to bother PB by asking if he's gonna restart a year old LP. Guy deserves to not be bothered at least. PB and Kidneyman were a good duo though especially when poo poo went sideways.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I imagine they're fine but I'm not going to bother PB by asking if he's gonna restart a year old LP. Guy deserves to not be bothered at least. PB and Kidneyman were a good duo though especially when poo poo went sideways.

well, yeah, i don't give a drat about continuing the lp any more; i'm always going to be a little concerned when people just evaporate

monster on a stick posted:

Obligatory link to the LP thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666200. It's one of the better LPs, especially if you like hearing about the process of game development and how things change over time (and The Bureau changed significantly.)

It's also a pretty good game and I enjoyed it a lot.

this was a good lp, i agree

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised we haven't seen the bolt caster on Shellshock. With the amount of powers psy troops get they can get by entire encounters without making a shot. So even with one shot it is not as though it matters as chances are they will only shoot one or two times the entire mission.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised we haven't seen the bolt caster on Shellshock. With the amount of powers psy troops get they can get by entire encounters without making a shot. So even with one shot it is not as though it matters as chances are they will only shoot one or two times the entire mission.

I agree; the stun chance, aim boost, and damage also ensure that the shot can really mean something, especially in an overwatch trap. The main issue is the cost required to upgrade a single soldier.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2017

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Neophyte posted:

..and he's psyyy-ing a stairway....

That is so terrible I had to comment.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Plot Exposition

No mission today, just story. I thought these two scenes were important enough to be worth viewing alone, or at least I didn't want to stick them in front of the next mission that is coming (Or the sitting there and scanning for a few days then going on the mission they lead up to). I feel that XCom2 has a better feel for the story, as poorly as I maybe spaced it out. I like the feel of it more because it's less out of space and more like a traditional mystery maybe? We know the aliens are here, but why? And then you start following a trail of clues that starts with the black site and works up to the true nature of what the Avatar project is, and why it's worth invading and killing all the humans for. I like it. I also like the last hurrah of the Councilman. He's finally put to use as something other than an overlooking boss type figure to evaluate you. He actually implores you this time, pleads for you to do something for him rather than stoically judging you. For all the times he's just a menacing shadowy figure that is a dick, the last scene gives him some character besides that. That he does care about the over all fight, and that he's willing to burn his own cover and sacrifice himself to advance the fight. Not the sort of picture I'd gotten from the guy through out the game where he's comfortable hidden in the ADVENT council and maybe leaking information as he's able. I liked this part, so let's have a moment for that shadowy jerk and his smooth buttery voice.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

F
:patriot:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:rip:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
And so, the bravest shadowy man to have ever lived (seriously, give me ONE other example of a shadowy figure putting themselves on the line like this) has fallen, in order to grant us vital information, and to remind us of our duty.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I like where this game took the characterization of the Commander and the Councilman. Both the very start of the game and this last cutscene are scenes I never would have predicted after the last game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also, I liked the implication at the beginning of the game that all the games of the first XCOM ever played were simulations running in the Commander's head.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Also, I liked the implication at the beginning of the game that all the games of the first XCOM ever played were simulations running in the Commander's head.

It's pretty explicitly that, yeah. And by implication, EXALT never existed and was the aliens going "Now how would YOU root out an underground paramilitary resistance movement?"

Although, one of the clothing options for troopers is an EXALT bandanna...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I just realized that the Councilman said that Advent was going to cover its people mulching plan in the guise of a broadcast about "A final treatment for the human condition".
Does this mean the XCOM2 universe is populated by huge amounts of Otherkin?

• Locked thread