Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

En route to our planet, they'd be detected and probably catch every missile (and possibly nuke) on Earth before they could successfully land.

If they could even get as far as landing, they'd be facing nonstop attempts to kill and dissect them.

With a non-zero chance that somewhere in the process of meet->kill->dissect, there's the addition of gently caress and/or eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RareAcumen posted:

En route to our planet, they'd be detected and probably catch every missile (and possibly nuke) on Earth before they could successfully land.

If they could even get as far as landing, they'd be facing nonstop attempts to kill and dissect them.

And they'd certainly best not wait to fight out a rhythm game with a dragon.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

And they'd certainly best not wait to fight out a rhythm game with a dragon.

Great, now you're making me think of a Drakengard/XCOM crossover (to get the best ending you have to commit at least 1 child murder per mission), I hope you're happy.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just watched the final episode. Nice work and thanks!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

I've never quite understood the whole "we're subjugating you to combat a larger threat that would subjugate you even worse" stance aliens seem to love to take.

Like, you've studied humanity, you've seen how they react to poo poo. Why not just say hi and ask for help? Too much work?

e: I know it's all narrative convenience, but it's just dumb to me

I like the Star Control twist on this. The backstory there is that humanity finally gets their poo poo together after a teeny little android uprising, they unite for world peace, seal away all their nuclear weapons as obsolete, and start patting each other on the backs.

Then the Alliance shows up and says 'Yeah, you kids are adorable, but we could really use the crazy nuke-flinging monkey variety of humans right now, please invent some warships, chop chop'

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Before anyone asks, no, I won't be attempting the final mission solo. More due to my computer being ancient than anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

apostateCourier posted:

Before anyone asks, no, I won't be attempting the final mission solo. More due to my computer being ancient than anything.

Will it even let you start the final mission with only the Commander's Avatar?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tendales posted:

I like the Star Control twist on this. The backstory there is that humanity finally gets their poo poo together after a teeny little android uprising, they unite for world peace, seal away all their nuclear weapons as obsolete, and start patting each other on the backs.

Then the Alliance shows up and says 'Yeah, you kids are adorable, but we could really use the crazy nuke-flinging monkey variety of humans right now, please invent some warships, chop chop'

Actually, it was a case of Humanity beat the android uprising.

Then aliens showed up and were like "Well, we could get you some ships, but we've got no way to arm them because this war is kinda taxing our industry."
And Humanity was all "It's cool. We GOT dis."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a setting where humans are kept on earth because everything else is scared about how insane we are?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tendales posted:

I'm a fan of how the Asgard treated humanity as highly dangerous children right up until the point that they realized that the earthling method of killing things with bullets was the only way to kill the replicators. Then they abducted Earth's most intelligent scientist because she was smart/dumb enough to help them after the replicators took over one of their warships.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kurieg posted:

I'm a fan of how the Asgard treated humanity as highly dangerous children right up until the point that they realized that the earthling method of killing things with bullets was the only way to kill the replicators. Then they abducted Earth's most intelligent scientist because she was smart/dumb enough to help them after the replicators took over one of their warships.

At which point it became "you're still dangerous children, but I like your moxie and you've got potential in a few thousand years."

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Isn't there a setting where humans are kept on earth because everything else is scared about how insane we are?

Yes, reality.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

At which point it became "you're still dangerous children, but I like your moxie and you've got potential in a few thousand years."

"a small talent for war"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

time to weaponize this new technology, someone drag the humans out of the freezer again

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kurieg posted:

More than one of their warships.
The O'Niel was being pursued by multiple (6?) Replicator Asgard warships when Carter solved that problem for them

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
A good ending. Thanks Jade, Guava, Guava, Guava, other Guava and robot Guava. :allears:

E: I always liked the trope that earth, compared to the rest of the universe, was either a deathworld of terrifying proportions or some insane collection of single intelligences compared to the commonplace hive minds.

And yeah, The Asgard treating us like dangerous children was great. Heck even the more technologically advanced humans on other worlds tended to view us with worry!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 20, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Bruce Coville's 'My Teacher...' series of children's novels, but I rather suspect that's not what you're talking about.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Hitchhiker's Guide quadrilogy did that because the sport of Cricket inexplicably referenced the method of attack of the genocidal war robots from the planet Krikkit, so the galaxy as a whole decided humanity was best left oblivious to the races on worlds beyond Earth.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

vdate posted:

Bruce Coville's 'My Teacher...' series of children's novels, but I rather suspect that's not what you're talking about.

Holy poo poo my parents read those to me when I was a little kid, I had forgotten about it until just now. They called their spaceship the New Jersey because it was the size of New Jersey.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Thyrork posted:

A good ending. Thanks Jade, Guava, Guava, Guava, other Guava and robot Guava. :allears:

E: I always liked the trope that earth, compared to the rest of the universe, was either a deathworld of terrifying proportions or some insane collection of single intelligences compared to the commonplace hive minds.

And yeah, The Asgard treating us like dangerous children was great. Heck even the more technologically advanced humans on other worlds tended to view us with worry!

We had a really good reason for that,

Fire off a Goa'uld Staff weapon, "This is a weapon of terror, It's made to intimidate the enemy", Pulls out his normal gun "this is a weapon of war, Its made to kill"

Earth weaponize's poo poo specifically to kill, we don't want prisoners, we don't want slaves, we want land and resources. We also have a nasty habit of not liking things that pretend to be gods. We're also quick to adapt and more then willing to steal weapons or just nuke something if the situation requires it.

Point being, technology does not trump everything all the time and we're fairly good at proving that.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
I'm a little bit late to the party here, but I just want to say a big "Thank You" to Jade Star and the numerous Guavamoments for doing this LP.

After all, what kind of person does that?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

zyxophoj posted:

I'm a little bit late to the party here, but I just want to say a big "Thank You" to Jade Star and the numerous Guavamoments for doing this LP.

After all, what kind of person does that?

Make him a pistol sniper.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Holy poo poo my parents read those to me when I was a little kid, I had forgotten about it until just now. They called their spaceship the New Jersey because it was the size of New Jersey.

That's the series! They stood out to me as a kid because I seem to remember the ending to either 3/4 or all four books being real downers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the ride, Jade and Guava. Hopefully, the upcoming expansion doesn't lead to the two of you getting into too many arguments over unit builds.

• Locked thread