Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Hey, I said from a third person perspective. I just want to be entertained is all.

I guess look for fights where Dan Henderson, Roy Nelson, or Anthony "Rumble" Johnson won by KO and see if those do anything for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
There aren't a ton of punches here, but try this - http://uproxx.com/sports/loudest-hits-mma/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

There aren't a ton of punches here, but try this - http://uproxx.com/sports/loudest-hits-mma/

i really wish more videos were still available but the kyle noke liver kick remains one of the most haunting things i have ever heard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

peramene posted:

That OP is really intimidating - how does a total 100% newbie get into watching ladies beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit? Where should I start?

The best place to begin is to watch the history of the W135 belt. if you start with Roxy vs Sarah Kaufmann and watch every single Strikeforce and UFC women's 135 title fight, up to present, you will have a good time. Every single one of those fights was great entertainment in some way - with the exception of the inaugural fight, that belt has never changed hands on a decision. Most of the 145 lb fights are as entertaining, with the exception of some of the Cyborg-Coenen fights.

If you watch TUF, just watch the semifinals and finals, and then watch Esparza's first title defense, and then watch JJ's most recent fight (or watch all of her fights - JJ rules). There's some fun drama on the show, for example involving Roxy, but without context of having an idea of who she is, it won't make any sense.

Lots of Invicta stuff is really good, too. Here have a short list of cool fights that from my memory were cool.

Sarah Kaufmann vs Alexis Davis 2 (SF)
Meisha Tate vs Julie Kedzie (SF)
Meisha Tate vs Cat Zingano (UFC)
Amanda Nunes vs Cat Zingano (UFC)
Mizuki Inoue vs Alexa Grasso (Inv)
Joanne Calderwood vs Ashley Cummins (Inv)
Leslie Smith vs Kaitlyn Young + Rematch (Inv)

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 16, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I was at Invicta 8 live and that was a really fun card from top to bottom. Plus the woman who won the main event, Michelle Waterson, is now in the ufc- albeit at a higher weight division, where she's pretty severely undersized.

And sorry if all my :words: were too intimidating or inaccessible for anyone!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i really wish more videos were still available but the kyle noke liver kick remains one of the most haunting things i have ever heard.

I got you fam

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/665713215611867136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
yeEEaaoUGH

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey, I said from a third person perspective. I just want to be entertained is all.

Just watch more fights and you'll get a better eye for striking. I am still really bad at watching boxing but mma punches are easier to suss out imo.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think its ok to not like watching striking but its kinda funny that watching fake wrestling there they do big choreographed slaps and stomp the ground and stuff can desensitize you to what it looks like when people actually getting punched

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I don't know how you can complain about real life punches not having weight while watching pro wrestling where the punches not only look worse but also intentionally don't have weight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If punches don't seem weight enough to you, you should check out some ~Phantom Cam~ highlights.

The Phantom Cam is just a fancy word for the high def slow mo cameras the UFC got ahold of as part of the FOX broadcast deal. At least for a while they put out a Phantom Cam highlight for pretty much every big card, and they really let you see the pepper on every shot that didn't look Iike much in real time. You can search on YouTube and find a whole bunch, but I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZhiYp6sEM

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 17, 2016

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I couldn't watch boxing for the longest time (well I still don't really because I like MMA better) because I thought everyone was pillow fisted because I was too trained to only recognize AISH AISH AISH from kung fu movies.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

If punches don't seem weight enough to you, you should check out some ~Phantom Cam~ highlights.

The Phantom Cam is just a fancy word for the high def slow mo cameras the UFC got ahold of as part of the FOX broadcast deal. At least for a while they put out a Phantom Cam highlight for pretty much every big card, and they really let you see the pepper on every shot that didn't look look Iike much in real time. You can search on YouTube and find a while bunch, but I like this one.

Ultra HQ Gonzaga is not something you want to see while eating.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The thing that made striking more "impactful", for me, was having been struck in the head by really anything and my body reflexively ragdolling. I have negative chin, I guess.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bluedeanie posted:

The Phantom Cam is just a fancy word for the high def slow mo cameras the UFC got ahold of as part of the FOX broadcast deal. At least for a while they put out a Phantom Cam highlight for pretty much every big card, and they really let you see the pepper on every shot that didn't look Iike much in real time. You can search on YouTube and find a whole bunch, but I like this one.

the whole image of JDS standing totally straight with his arms down getting punched is the weirdest poo poo and i don't know why he does that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He was so tired in the second and third (this is the third) Cain fights that he probably couldn't get his arms up to defend properly, honestly. He does keep his arms down anyway, but that fight was brutal for him. I like JDS, so I'm not gonna watch those fights again any time soon.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

yeah... like some old school boxing fights, you too can see this guys brain getting permanent damage in real time!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Werdum paid the beatings Cain put on JDS in 2 and 3 right back to him.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Werdum whooped his rear end but it still would've barely put a dent in the hypothetical JDS damage debt Cain owes

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Biafraid posted:

Werdum whooped his rear end but it still would've barely put a dent in the hypothetical JDS damage debt Cain owes

Yeah, Cain bounced back after that loss by murdering Travis Brown. JDS hasn't been the same since. Yeah, he's 2-1, but he could have lost that split against Stipe and was killed by Overeem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

JDS looked great against Rothwell.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
the reason behind every time you see dudes in MMA with their hands down getting punched is because of the threat of takedowns.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

afatwhiteloaf posted:

the reason behind every time you see dudes in MMA with their hands down getting punched is because of the threat of takedowns.

I don't think that's the reason every time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

JDS looked great against Rothwell.

Yeah I've never understood the assertion 'he's not the same!' *beats the current literal world champion* *loses against the next title challenger who has always had the capacity to kill anyone* *gently caress up rothwell*

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah I've never understood the assertion 'he's not the same!' *beats the current literal world champion* *loses against the next title challenger who has always had the capacity to kill anyone* *gently caress up rothwell*

i wanted him to quit after that third fight, and then he got knocked out pretty hard. Glad to see a return to bouncy feet jds tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

afatwhiteloaf posted:

For some fighters that is just their style and they make up for it with head movement and other evasive techniques. Some people are just masters at moving away from, deflecting, and blocking strikes without having to keep their hands up high. Dom Cruz and Anderson Silva both immediately jump out as fighters that just simply can evade almost all of an opponents strikes.

Here's a great video that is just about showing off head movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Striking coaches are still going to tell everyone to keep their hands up at all times. Some people are just good at dodging and don't keep their hands up regardless of takedown threat.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Cruz is a great example because everyone swings for his seemingly defenseless face then miss all the time. Dillashaw finally got wise and started kicking his body and legs but it was too little too late.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

I thought he looked flat, but it turns out Stipe is really good, so that was probably it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I thought he looked flat, but it turns out Stipe is really good, so that was probably it

To be fair stipe's efforts against struve were really fresh at that point and even now that they're not fresh and he's the champ I'm still waiting for him to lose to Dave Herman in some z league

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Honestly keeping your hands low can have advantages. If you are staring at your target (the other guy's face) and he has his hands up covering his face, you are going to notice it the instant he cocks one of his fists to punch. If he has his hands down low in your peripheral vision, you won't notice the punch until a split second later. There's a good reason why noted smart man Dominic Cruz throws a lot of really wide arcing punches that look more like swings than traditional efficient punches. Watch Roy Jones Jr fights if you want to see the pinnacle of this.
(Of course, caveat that you need really good movement and freaky reflexes to pull this off a lot of times, and also the fact that we're talking about MMA, which really doesn't have one correct style that will beat every other style)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Good strikers make a point of not cocking their hands prior to punching. poo poo even reasonably competent strikers can do this while adding some defence and ensuring your punches travel the shortest distance to target.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

Good strikers make a point of not cocking their hands prior to punching. poo poo even reasonably competent strikers can do this while adding some defence and ensuring your punches travel the shortest distance to target.

It's less to do with cocking and more that you see a high hand as soon as it starts moving, whereas a low hand can have travelled a bit before your vision registers it, on account of how peripheral vision works.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

It's less to do with cocking and more that you see a high hand as soon as it starts moving, whereas a low hand can have travelled a bit before your vision registers it, on account of how peripheral vision works.

Yes, but in the traditional boxing stance the fists can be given the illusion of movement behind movement of the hips, shoulders, or just by feinting. There's a reason you can still evade punches coming from below your peripheral, and that's because it takes many movements to throw a punch, some of which you can always see.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

Yes, but in the traditional boxing stance the fists can be given the illusion of movement behind movement of the hips, shoulders, or just by feinting. There's a reason you can still evade punches coming from below your peripheral, and that's because it takes many movements to throw a punch, some of which you can always see.

The "traditional" boxing stance doesn't have both your hands at your face, either, which is why actual boxers that do so are a rarity

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

The "traditional" boxing stance doesn't have both your hands at your face, either, which is why actual boxers that do so are a rarity

All I'm saying is that actual physically being able to see the gloves at their resting position is not the boon it was made out to be and uses of feints and other types of movement if you were just looking for any movement of the glove itself would be literally worthless.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

All I'm saying is that actual physically being able to see the gloves at their resting position is not the boon it was made out to be and uses of feints and other types of movement if you were just looking for any movement of the glove itself would be literally worthless.

that's not true. feints and footwork and movement are worth much more than convincing a guy to drop his impervious double forearm guard. like it's a huge oversimplification to say that is like the ultimate defense like being the homunculus from full metal alchemist

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

that's not true. feints and footwork and movement are worth much more than convincing a guy to drop his impervious double forearm guard. like it's a huge oversimplification to say that is like the ultimate defense like being the homunculus from full metal alchemist

Hahahahahahaha

I don't know what the gently caress you think I'm talking about but I'm going to say if I ever had a point it's been lost in my complete inability to articulate the argument. Apologies to all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

THe double fore-arm X guard is incredibly powerful as evidenced by the following:

Goku Vs. Freiza 1
Goku Vs Cell 1
Vegeta vs Android 19

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

Hahahahahahaha

I don't know what the gently caress you think I'm talking about but I'm going to say if I ever had a point it's been lost in my complete inability to articulate the argument. Apologies to all.

I get what you're saying, you're just not right? it's late, fatherdog can probably articulate this better

e: yeah hiding your gloves outside of the periphery by not holding them at eye level is a very useful technique which real people do all the time and is responsible for probably a whole lot of good knockouts from fists you don't see coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I get what you're saying, you're just not right? it's late, fatherdog can probably articulate this better

e: yeah hiding your gloves outside of the periphery by not holding them at eye level is a very useful technique which real people do all the time and is responsible for probably a whole lot of good knockouts from fists you don't see coming

I am not arguing that. At all. I'm saying the punch you don't see coming can come from eye level, and does all the time, if properly disguised by feints and other subtle movements of the body. 'seeing' the gloves means gently caress all, see also, goal keepers in soccer penalties. The ball is right there! Just follow it! *dives in complete opposite direction*

• Locked thread