Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://vimeo.com/134231852

anderson's ufc debut vs. leben is over ten years old at this point, but it's still basically a perfect 49-second encapsulation of how anderson changed mma forever. sprawl-and-brawl (primarily relying on your striking ability while moving forward, and also being good enough at wrestling to defend the takedown) which was popularized by guys like chuck liddell and wanderlei silva had been the dominant style of fighting in mma for a long time. anderson was one of the first to become truly good at counter fighting and it took mma another seven or so years to actually catch up to him. he looked basically completely unbeatable for those seven years, save for his classic fight with chael sonnen and the occasional extremely boring and passive fight against anyone who were as content to stand back as anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the important thing to remember about pride is that sakuraba is the best, and pro wrestling defeated the gracies

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i will never understand how condit survived that round

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

that's josh koscheck, probably the best wrestler at welterweight during that era, getting gsp fully off the floor and still ending up on his back. he was a complete freak of nature.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the rematch happened about three years later and koscheck did get gsp down, but gsp popped right back up and proceeded to destroy koscheck's career by hitting him with so many lefts that he was visibly uncomfortable taking punches in every fight after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
turns out that the entire welterweight division was Always Bad even though it was the best division in the UFC for like a decade and GSP's domination of it makes him at worst tied for greatest ever

• Locked thread