Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Ask me about anderson silva

Tell me about BJ Penn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's some generous talk about our friend -Atom-.

More Rowdy Ringsports/PSP MMA memes:
There was a dude who went to the McGregor fight in Dublin's Conor after party where he spent most of his time talking there posting on SA about how orange girls want to have sex with the fighters, who have very bad posture and terrible backs. So we rarely call back to that and laugh.

There was also a dude who suggested Carlos Condit, a notably exciting and dangerous fighter who always fights his heart out and loves a slugfest, is very milquetoast. He also said that he's boring because he's white and middle class or something. This tends to pop up when Condit fights (watch his entire fight history, he's awesome.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had gotten rusty on the text of after party man, our programmer poo poo runs deeper than I realised

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DC isn't the kind of person who really gets aggressive or cocky about things so there's no reason to believe anything based on him not sticking the knife in. Him lashing out at Cerrone yesterday on the MMA Hour is possibly the most aggressive I've seen him be about a fighter in public. I don't recall him every saying much like that about Jones.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was that time Phil Davis wrestled his wife, presumably because she has better stand up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Another MMA fighter/criminal is Lee Murray, who nicked £53 million from a cash depot. He has a win over Jorge Rivera in the UFC and lost to Anderson in his last fight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Murray

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The scoring talk after the Jackson/Winkeljohn time tag there should be mandatory listening for all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To move on: What would you guys think it is that makes a coach great?

Obviously, the likes of Edmond Tarverdyan are seen as a joke for obvious reasons and people like John Danaher, Mark Henry, Rafael Cordeiro and Firas Zahabi are seen as excellent. What's the biggest difference?

There's no resources for me around here to train, but what led those of you who do train to stick with those who you guys do train with?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

If punches don't seem weight enough to you, you should check out some ~Phantom Cam~ highlights.

The Phantom Cam is just a fancy word for the high def slow mo cameras the UFC got ahold of as part of the FOX broadcast deal. At least for a while they put out a Phantom Cam highlight for pretty much every big card, and they really let you see the pepper on every shot that didn't look look Iike much in real time. You can search on YouTube and find a while bunch, but I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZhiYp6sEM

Ultra HQ Gonzaga is not something you want to see while eating.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He was so tired in the second and third (this is the third) Cain fights that he probably couldn't get his arms up to defend properly, honestly. He does keep his arms down anyway, but that fight was brutal for him. I like JDS, so I'm not gonna watch those fights again any time soon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a bad one.

When it's a match that can go to a penalty shootout, teams always have studies put together about the habits of potential penalty takers, including tells in their run ups, areas the striker often tries to score in or other habits that have consistent tells into ways the the striker shoots. There's not much difference between this and studying a fighter's style.

When all is said and done, penalties are heavily skewed towards a striker and even if someone takes the same penalty they take a 100 times and it goes in the same angle, speed and place you probably won't save it, but the sport is so valuable and so much money rides on it in different ways that you better believe that goalkeepers study tape and try to figure out who will shoot where.

It's probably a lot less prevalent, but still likely to happen, week in week out for league matches. If you're playing Man United and you know Wayne Rooney takes their penalties, you're going to study up a bit just incase, even though you probably won't face a penner.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's a good card, nice match-ups all through out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They might as well put "Overeem will get hilariously sparked" on all of his posters, it's that common.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's actually a pretty interesting niche you could get into if you had the personality and ability to do a play by play for it. Surprised that few if anyone does it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

It's a good opportunity for fighters with personalities to show those personalities.

Yeah, especially in the age of reebok fighter kits and fighters not even allowed personally significant patches on their shorts or whatever. The fine they gave Cowboy was embarrassing, even though I believe they sorted it out satisfactorily in the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It doesn't say Condom Depot anywhere on the reebok kit, it's impossible for it to be better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

I am so in favor of this you have no idea

Can we also make it a rule that the video needs to be linked when it's brought up because it never gets old?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-strikeforce-miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can we have some highlights for those of us without archives?

And if I didn't know better, I'd almost think Lawler was happily sacrificing his leg to his blood god purely so he could land that specific punch from hell.

• Locked thread