Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This reminds me of the post-episode recaps in the Doctor Who thread. After this it might be fun to just write up shorter versions of this for every event and put them in the main, monthly thread (with a link to the GDT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

VagueRant posted:

Never knew all that about Mark Hunt. That's crazy. Makes me all the more sad he lost.

I too am a little confused by the hatred for Browne, but that was the first time I've seen Velasquez fight and he was a loving beast.

Being sad about Mark Hunt losing is the correct answer.

People are probably going to disagree with me on this - and they do often - but I'd say that the Cain Velasquez of Cain-Bigfoot 1, Cain-JDS 2, Cain-Bigfoot 2, and Cain-JDS 3 is the greatest heavyweight in the sport's history. Goddamn terrifying. If you thought that what he did to Browne was scary, go watch Cain-Bigfoot 1.

(Bigfoot AKA Antonio Silva)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

team overhead smash posted:

What shots thought? From what I can see although Brock sometimes managed to counter a swing by going under it with the takedown (basically the reverse of what we're assuming Hunt was trying), when this didn't happen and Brock tried to take when Mark had his hands ready Mark didn't even try to counter punch and dropped them to defend against the takedown. He "didn't manage to hit him with anything cleanly enough off the shots" because there were no shots in terms of counter punches to takedowns.

Also if he wanted to back Brock into the cage, wouldn't he have needed more movement and aggression? That slow forward pace might walk Brock down a bit and wear him down as he circles around and covers more distance, but it obviously didn't work in terms of pressing Brock against the cage and as long as Brock was able to walk slightly faster in a circular direction I can't see how it was meant to. Hunt's meant to be a geek, surely he's aware of circle strafing.

Edited after rechecking a couple of bits.

In short, it's a distance and timing game, and Hunt had the shorter reach by a wide margin.

When a fighter is out-reached, he has two options

1) Leap in, guns a-blazing, relying on head movement to stay alive
2) Wait for the opponent to commit to some kind of forward movement.

The problem with #1 in MMA is that it leaves the attacker open to a reactive double-leg takedown, which Brock absolutely, positively wanted: Hunt couldn't provide too much forward movement because then his feet would likely be out of position for a good counter when Brock's inevitable shot would come.

So Hunt was waiting either for Brock to shoot and provide a counter, or for Brock to make a range error, probably (as Fatherdog said) by incrementally moving Brock close to the cage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Lee Murray didn't necessarily do it mind, not saying he's innocent for sure but like Joe Rogan, question everything.

What if someone refuses to name a source for an outlandish claim?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And no Gracie has won a UFC bout since torsion quit his rules czar position, which actually saw him changing the rules mid fight at one point to allow Royce to walk away with a draw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frankie Edgar's flag of Bahrain has a broken point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xtanstic posted:

RDA and...?

werdum

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

Also none of us mentioned serra/longo, the real best camp.

Serra-Longo is less a fight camp and more a five-star fight resort.

a guy who looks disturbingly like an old lesbian but who sounds like Doctor Girlfriend, and a fuckin' veal parm

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

And the first one isn't a distraction for him, I promise you.

Didn't Fatherdog threaten you with a ban if you posted about this again without revealing your "super duper secret source"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

I haven't been on IRC since March. I'm not sure why on earth you'd lie about something like this, but in retrospect, I also don't care. Get out of PSP.

willie_dee posted:

He threatened to suspend me if I carried on talking about it in that particular months thread when I first revealed the exclusive scoop, and then I talked about it with him on irc and he immediately figured out how I knew.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:dukedog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

Even if this is not true I believe this because it totally sounded liked GSP wanted to quit the Alves fight after tearing his groin and Greg Jackson was like "HIT HIM WITH YOUR GROIN" and after the fight he mentioned it to everybody in the ring

Dan Didio posted:

I also love Rashad Evans impression of GSP before a fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU5Vq5-dGc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

I presume he's suggesting Conor uses diuretics - a banned substance that makes you piss constantly so you shed water weight - to make the cut. He is also kind of just a weird guy with idiosyncratic speech patterns due to speaking in his second language, so he could just mean some other weird vague thing that only makes sense to him.

It wouldn't be unlike a francophone to say something like "I have an idea" to mean something like "I know" or "I can imagine"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

peramene posted:

That OP is really intimidating - how does a total 100% newbie get into watching ladies beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit? Where should I start?

The best place to begin is to watch the history of the W135 belt. if you start with Roxy vs Sarah Kaufmann and watch every single Strikeforce and UFC women's 135 title fight, up to present, you will have a good time. Every single one of those fights was great entertainment in some way - with the exception of the inaugural fight, that belt has never changed hands on a decision. Most of the 145 lb fights are as entertaining, with the exception of some of the Cyborg-Coenen fights.

If you watch TUF, just watch the semifinals and finals, and then watch Esparza's first title defense, and then watch JJ's most recent fight (or watch all of her fights - JJ rules). There's some fun drama on the show, for example involving Roxy, but without context of having an idea of who she is, it won't make any sense.

Lots of Invicta stuff is really good, too. Here have a short list of cool fights that from my memory were cool.

Sarah Kaufmann vs Alexis Davis 2 (SF)
Meisha Tate vs Julie Kedzie (SF)
Meisha Tate vs Cat Zingano (UFC)
Amanda Nunes vs Cat Zingano (UFC)
Mizuki Inoue vs Alexa Grasso (Inv)
Joanne Calderwood vs Ashley Cummins (Inv)
Leslie Smith vs Kaitlyn Young + Rematch (Inv)

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 16, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Valentijn is the older brother, not the younger one. :spergin:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm always confused when I see an almost-ran in one division turn into a terrifying contender in another. In a weird way Andrade's rebirth at 115 has smaller-scale echos of when Lawler came back down to 170 pounds and started smashing people out of nowhere after looking mediocre in Strikeforce for years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Name the fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

gotta be lawler/manhoef

This is correct. For those newbies in the thread, the winning fighter was on the left, and the fighter on the right is p4p the hardest puncher in the sport.

I had a bit of a trip down Strikeforce memory lane with this. I remember hating strikeforce when it was on, likely due to Mauro's hyperbole, but also never missing a card. Little details of their seedy but hillarious production made me feel nostalgic - they cut back to Manhoef's bleeding and twitching corpse like 9 times haha

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can we also make it a rule that the video needs to be linked when it's brought up because it never gets old?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-strikeforce-miami

Why make it a rule? Mods need to filter Lawler-Manhoef to that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What the gently caress lol

• Locked thread