Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
I'm not a newbie, but I still think this is a cool thread. Thank you for making it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

EvanSchenck posted:

He was a UFC Light Heavyweight Champion a long time ago when the promotion was less competitive. He is notoriously dumb and lame for a myriad of reasons too long to list but I'll jot out the first few that come to mind
  • lost his first title shot by tapping to strikes against an opponent roughly 1.5 weight classes smaller than him
  • made up obviously false excuses after every fight whether he won or lost, such as that he was fighting with a fractured skull or a broken back
  • ducked Chuck Liddell for years, at one point claiming that he was close friends with Chuck and they had a standing agreement not to fight one another, to which Chuck said he was lying and there was no agreement and furthermore they weren't friends at all
  • lost the Light Heavyweight belt to Randy Couture in a fight where Couture dominated him so utterly that at one point Randy literally spanked his bottom while loudly laughing

I could go on but I've already wasted enough time (2 minutes) thinking about Tito Ortiz
Just adding to this off the top of my head, he also agreed to fight Dana White in a boxing match, which got serious enough (he apparently had that boxing bout in his UFC contract) that the commission got involved and they staged a weigh-in for the event. Tito no-showed the weigh-in, allegedly on the advice of his then-girlfriend Jenna Jameson, because the whole thing had blown up enough she didn't think he made enough money off it.

He also got hired as Chris Cyborg's manager, and convinced her to not sign a contract with the UFC where they'd pay her to fight in Invicta (all-female fighting org, pretty much a feeder league to the UFC at this point), but instead fight in Invicta on her own for less money.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Bluedeanie posted:

Sorry the FAQs took me this long to get posted, it took me longer than I thought!
Good post! Might want to add Jessica Andrade to the strawweight discussion though; she was competitive at Bantamweight and debuted at Strawweight by beating Penne almost as badly as JJ did in about half the time. Right now I'd probably favour her over JAG, although her big weakness is getting stupid and giving up submissions so she's also capable of losing against anyone with a half-decent submission game.

e: fun fact for newbies: I mention four fighters in this post and three of them have the first name 'Jessica'. Can you spot the aberration?

Zwachro fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Bluedeanie posted:

What are some of their best fights?
For Andrade: Check her out beating up Jessica Penne, and submitting Larissa Pacheco.
The most Jessica Andrade fight is the one against Sarah Moras. 14-minute beatdown, and then she gives up her back and almost gets submitted (two of her losses were due to getting stupid and giving up submissions).

Also, while she seems to have a ridiculous strenght advantage, saying she has a massive size advantage is stating it a bit strongly. She gives up height and reach to most people in the division:

• Locked thread