Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
couscous owns but is weirdly expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
How's this thread goin, we got some good opinions in here yet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

couscous is bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

How's this thread goin, we got some good opinions in here yet

ham radios are consumer electronics

POST DEM OPINIONS

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

ham radios are consumer electronics

POST DEM OPINIONS

the japanese ones are Real Good. the chinese ones are REAL BAD. the European ones are expensive and break a lot and have very ardent fans that snob on everything else. The American ones are shadows of their former selves and the brand new owner of the biggest american ham manufacturer told people that if they wanted a new radio from them, they had to pay up front and wait up to 2 years.

upon reading that its pretty much identical to the auto industry

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i also like ham radio consumer electronics

my opinions there are reflected as such

that's all good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im a very big nerd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that looks good but you need some sort of over-desk storage, some sort of shelving or something that sits on top of the desk

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

that's all good

My mom gave me my dad's prized Yaesu FT890 when he died. I threw it right in the trash.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

My mom gave me my dad's prized Yaesu FT890 when he died. I threw it right in the trash.

prolly was worth at least a few hundred bucks, but, you do you

Apr 7, 2003

This was fifteen years ago, but ham radio is obsolete. Why keep obsolete stuff around?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sniep posted:

that's all good

that yaesu display and the big knob are really neat. i'd never be able to figure that radio stuff out, but the hardware is really appealing

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

it would be v fun to figure that stuff out and set it up and such however i have no interest in broadcasting my voice or listening to others talk

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

yea also that knob

Apr 7, 2003

Satellit3 posted:

it would be v fun to figure that stuff out and set it up and such however i have no interest in broadcasting my voice or listening to others talk

From what I can remember of my father's ham days, it's mostly obese old white guys talking about how the blacks have ruined America. You aren't missing a lot.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

From what I can remember of my father's ham days, it's mostly obese old white guys talking about how the blacks have ruined America. You aren't missing a lot.

its also a great way to talk to people about interesting topics

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah i stay away from the old farts

they're definitely a thing, but, a dwindling minority as time moves forward

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's really cool.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

that's all good

nice minimus 7's

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BANME.sh posted:

nice minimus 7's

thrift store buy. they make really good ham radio speakers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the tinder app on ham radio yet

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

That's really cool.

Thank you.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

i just want an excuse to have one of those mikes

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
consumer electronics are good, except when they're not. in that case they're bad. i hope this helps

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just probed a lot of ppl for not postig opinions in the opinion thread. take care gents

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hmm. sniep says his post was an opinion, and sure, ill take it. for my misdeed i will suffer the consequences.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
iphone's notification center is a useless joke

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
never mind that if you accidentally activate it from a lock screen all your notificatrions disappear

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sniep posted:

yeah i stay away from the old farts

they're definitely a thing, but, a dwindling minority as time moves forward

it really set the tone for my ham experience when i went to take the exam and the guys administrating it were a bunch of older local firefighters who were discussing a black kid that had gotten shot that morning in a "home invasion" had unfortunately survived but luckily had been flown to the next county over to receive treatment rather than wasting OUR TAX DOLLARS. my general license has gone unused.

but back to the topic at hand, HTC Vive is really cool, too bad HTC is dying off anyway and this is too niche and expensive to save it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

thrift store buy. they make really good ham radio speakers.

im using a pair of white 77's (same as the 7's but larger 5" woofers) for my TV in a 2.0 set up and they're really good. I found somebody selling a vintage pair, brand new in box a couple of years ago

ive had several people comment on how they haven't seen or heard of the realistic brand in years and years and didn't know they were still around, because the speakers look brand new and white consumer electronics happens to be popular again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think it would be neat if the aesthetic of giant-rear end consumer speakers came back

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

same. speakers are cool + good

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Captain Foo posted:

I think it would be neat if the aesthetic of giant-rear end consumer speakers came back

disagree, they're ugly + bad (breaking the post signing rule)

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

ur wrong bitch. hows that for a CE opinion

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Satellit3 posted:

ur wrong bitch. hows that for a CE opinion

if anything, i should be probed for posting a fact in the opinion thread :colbert:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Glans Dillzig posted:

if anything, i should be probed for posting a fact in the opinion thread :colbert:

u should be probed for posting, imo

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

knickerbocker expert

Roosevelt posted:

u should be probed for posting, imo

yeah probably

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Never left in my home, where I have the Bang and Olufson RedLine speakers installed in the horizontal kickstand configuration, on my Bang and Olufson Beomaster 4500 and attached BeoCD - which is, for the record, the sickest HiFi unit of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
my tv says "this thread sucks"

• Locked thread