Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
Don't worry too much about missables in this game, because you will miss things, a lot. There's a recipe memo you can only get in the Calnus at the beginning; once you land, it's gone. Mostly just try to get everything you can and try not to sweat things that pass you by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Behold man's first steps into space, struggling to survive on a new world for a desperate mankind on the brief of extinction. Oh wait, never mind, the Vulcans Eldarians just turned up and fixed everything in five minutes while we were out taking a stroll on the beach.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

wateyad posted:

Episode 7: So why didn't we want to ask THEM for help?
Pride?

... That's all I got besides "unnecessary drama."

Also, goddamn, that first guy in the base has a fixation.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

We are recording today and the full weight of Star Ocean just hit us. Look forward to it!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just drink and sing songs for us.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Excellent.

By the way, make sure you periodically check your Glossary or whatever it's called, there's a few really absurd things in there that never actually get brought up by the game proper.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gameplay actually looks fun, but we're four hours in and the more I think about the story the more gigantic plot holes I see. Four hours in.

Makes sense that we seemed so ill prepared for the flight given we knew space elves were waiting for us, but, well, you'd think they'd tell us about the bugs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't think the space elfs knew about the bugs? They were just nearby setting up long-range viewing outposts to spy on earth girls and do capitalism even when it makes no sense and sleep in space beds, or something.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

chrisoya posted:

I don't think the space elfs knew about the bugs? They were just nearby setting up long-range viewing outposts to spy on earth girls and do capitalism even when it makes no sense and sleep in space beds, or something.

I mean, they said they were doing their own scans of the planet or something. It doesn't look like the bugs are particularly rare, so I'd assume they'd know that there were big bugs all over the place.

I find it funny that in lieu of giving this completely alien race a distinctive cultural vibe or pattern of speech, the space elves instead talk entirely like the human characters, and even objectify women just like humans do. Maybe we aren't so different after all.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Red Bones posted:

I mean, they said they were doing their own scans of the planet or something. It doesn't look like the bugs are particularly rare, so I'd assume they'd know that there were big bugs all over the place.

I find it funny that in lieu of giving this completely alien race a distinctive cultural vibe or pattern of speech, the space elves instead talk entirely like the human characters, and even objectify women just like humans do. Maybe we aren't so different after all.

I like the idea that the stupid universal translator also translates culture.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Red Bones posted:

They weren't investigating Aeos, they were "nearby" as in an interstellar travel scale.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 8: Oh Well, I Guess You'll Have to Do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWV8pmkyRCc

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Everyone reacting to Welch's terrible jokes is the best part of this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schubalts posted:

Everyone reacting to Welch's terrible jokes is the best part of this game.

Being subjected to Welch's jokes, on the other hand, is one of the worst.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Nah. The Welch scenes are pretty much the worst thing. The jokes she's making are wacky "Hey, check out how anime I am!" stuff and in the context of a game this anime, the other characters reacting with "You're being weird, I don't understand any of this." just comes across as insincere and weird. Which isn't to say that Welch is a good take on that style of humour or even that the flavour of it she represents can be done well but the reactions only make it worse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, her voice is even more annoying than I thought it would be. That chirping with every action in the menu would have me turn the sound off within 2 minutes.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I want to skewer her with that stupid pointing stick.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It's like watching a comedy duo act, except one half of the duo has only heard of comedy in passing and the other half was told that this was going to be a serious drama scene.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Okay, one thing I genuinely like is that the humans are saluting with their palm down, like the American armed forces do, but the space elves are saluting with their palm facing outwards, like the British armed forces do. (Except for the British navy, who salute palm-down, apparently because your hands are likely to get dirty working in the engine room and you don't want to present a dirty palm to your superior officer.)

Of course, I'm only three minutes into the video and haven't gotten to Welch part yet. I know it's coming, and I'm worried. Very worried...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

It's like watching a comedy duo act, except one half of the duo has only heard of comedy in passing and the other half was told that this was going to be a serious drama scene.
Sounds just like my first marriage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Now's a good moment to dissect just how badly the story's already poo poo the bed so far in just a few hours;
  • The best of humanity's technology has already been supplanted by Eldarian tech dropped on humanity's last surviving ship for free, which could've been done any time in the last ten years of contact between the races to prevent the whole catastrophe before it happened.

• The only intact ship has been handed over to two junior officers to command (which is admittedly semi-understandable/hand-wavable as the only capable command officers who aren't either hosed up by, or dead, from the crash), and no crew at all to man it. You would think they'd be able to scrounge up a couple of random techs just to keep the thing working while the party goes out to play Away Team.

• Welch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The spelfs are probably either evil, idiots who are themselves running on hand-me-down technology, or scared that humanity will do the "Just loving kill everyone" thing if they're given too much advanced tech. Which raises the question of why they would give away any tech at all. Maybe they want some meatshields for their galactic conquest?

Maybe they really are those pervert aliens who spent a few decades abducting rednecks to probe them for sexual kicks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• The only intact ship has been handed over to two junior officers to command (which is admittedly semi-understandable/hand-wavable as the only capable command officers who aren't either hosed up by, or dead, from the crash), and no crew at all to man it. You would think they'd be able to scrounge up a couple of random techs just to keep the thing working while the party goes out to play Away Team.

In my headcannon Edge is so dumb that the gave him the ship to get him out of their hair while they do the actual colonization and terraforming work.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I thought Welch was funny in the first scene she showed up in (though only because of Edge's reactions). Now it's just old and bad. Or I came back to my senses since then.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Welch and her awfulness actually owns. One day you'll come around and realise I was right.

This game, however, has managed to make me angrier than anything else we've ever played.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now's a good moment to dissect just how badly the story's already poo poo the bed so far in just a few hours;
  • The best of humanity's technology has already been supplanted by Eldarian tech dropped on humanity's last surviving ship for free, which could've been done any time in the last ten years of contact between the races to prevent the whole catastrophe before it happened.

• Welch.

Imo the reason the ship doesn't have a crew aside from those three teens is just because it's a lot more advanced than the ship they flew in on, so all that junk is automated/super easy to use now.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

My best Welch experience

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, let's hand our extremely super advanced Earth/alien hybrid ship which is officially the most advanced Human technology in the universe over to a crew of 13 year olds.

"Mr. Maverick, let me make it clear that there is LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE AVAILABLE to captain this ship. So congratulations, I guess?"

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, let's hand our extremely super advanced Earth/alien hybrid ship which is officially the most advanced Human technology in the universe over to a crew of 13 year olds.

"Mr. Maverick, let me make it clear that there is LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE AVAILABLE to captain this ship. So congratulations, I guess?"

Well, given that the elves are happy and easily capable of refitting any ship into a ship like that for free, in less than a day, it's not quite as valuable as you're making out.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

This game, however, has managed to make me angrier than anything else we've ever played.
Glad to hear it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least in Gundam, they gave Earth's last hope to a nineteen year old junior officer.

(He did better than you might expect given the circumstances. Admittedly, that does include a lot of borderline nervous breakdowns over the years, and eventually ordering his own son's execution before retiring to run a restaurant, but still. Better than might be expected.)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Pork Lift posted:

Welch and her awfulness actually owns. One day you'll come around and realise I was right
You mean when we get Stockholm syndrome, just like you did?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
If Welch turns out to be some kind of Q I will be really annoyed.

Yall know what was great about 2? You started out with a blaster pistol and it wrecked every enemy and boss in the first hour of the game, then it broke. Everyone thought you were a Chosen Hero with a Sword of Light, but you just had a gun.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 9, 2016

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

sleepy.eyes posted:

If Welch turns out to be some kind of Q I will be really annoyed.

Welch never "turns out" to be anything but is heavily implied across multiple games (including the PSP versions of the first two) to be a 4D hacker. Which I guess is sort of conceptually like being "some kind of Q" but when you visit 4D space in SO3, 4D people don't seem very different from 3D people and if that chunk of the game was meant to be metaphorical like whenever they visit the Q Continuum in Star Trek then they didn't do a very good job of indicating that.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
A webcam zoomed on to pork lifts mouth while he eats just might be what this LP needs.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
Welch is like the developers winking at the players, saying "Our writing sucks :frogc00l:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toma posted:

Welch is like the developers winking at the players, saying "Our writing sucks :frogc00l:"

TLH Welch is where comedy goes to die like a sick animal, cowering in the dark away from anything approaching mirth or joy while knowing its time has passed and the blissful end is imminent as Welch opens her mouth to utter her foul vernacular and rob all who hear it of happiness.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I was on the fence about Welch, but then I listened to her theme music on repeat for ten hours and now I love her and her comedy antics.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Here's a ship. Your mission is to go away, and come back to save us from the 666th Guards Heavy Space Elf Armoured Assault Brigade. But mostly just get off this planet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welch would be great in very small doses with every character reacting to her in horror, kind of like Edge's first encounter. The character played "straight" just does not really work.

• Locked thread