Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

goatface posted:

Ok, my brain somehow skipped over the part where this was the target planet for all five ships. I had assumed the ships were all going to different places (Because why would you send five ships to the same place? These people weren't behaving like this was a potential suicide mission, they expected to transit without problem. Send one, bigger ship if you're not expecting a significant fraction of them to blow up), and the magic space rock had brought them all to some different place as part of its sinister plan.
I assumed someone was going to say something to the effect of 'we're in the right place, but not the right TIME' because that would be more cliche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, let's hand our extremely super advanced Earth/alien hybrid ship which is officially the most advanced Human technology in the universe over to a crew of 13 year olds.

"Mr. Maverick, let me make it clear that there is LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE AVAILABLE to captain this ship. So congratulations, I guess?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love how the (probable) villain of this game is the only person to say "hey wait, why are we giving our most powerful ship to a bunch of teenagers?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes let's keep adding children to our party, seems like a good idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AltaBrown posted:

So Team Teen Angst lands on a previously undiscovered planet, finds Humans and doesn't bat a friickin' eye? Seriously, the spelfs were bad enough, but now there are humans infesting random planets, and they don't even question it!
This is the equivalent of that early season 1 ST:TNG episode where they found Space Irish living like it was 1820

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wet, Sam Raimi, 555 and Limb were too weak to defeat the angel, RIP and goodnight

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

I played this game for 100 hours and I don't remember much of this because it is rather dull.
I can't imagine playing a game like this for 10 hours let alone 100. There's nothing here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Bacchus' race are the 'guardians of the galaxy', as he said, then Bacchus is clearly Drax.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love how hard this game is trying to make Wet the Ultimate Protagonist Who Can Do No Wrong, but it keeps failing at it miserably

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mega64 posted:

So I can blame Time Warrior Edge Maverick for President Trump?
If you told me we lived in the timeline of theirs where the Earth becomes uninhabitable, I would buy that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wateyad posted:

Episode 37: This Chunk of Game Did Not Divide Easily into Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f_m_HqGlQ
Edge "To Hell With the Prime Directive' Maverick

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You guys missed a pretty great opportunity to title this episode We Need to Talk About Kevin

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm wondering if that was an alternate Earth where the Nazis won WW2. I mean that was a lot of Germanic names and Naziesque uniforms for New Mexico.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm aware, but those were basically Nazi uniforms down to the armbands.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wouldn't Edge's actual superiors be more interested in contacting him than whatever Welch is supposed to be other than terrible attempted comic relief?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I appreciate the fact that Raimi was more competent in that one segment where she took command than Edge has been in the whole game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OK I take back the credit I gave the game for making Raimi look competent. They just went right back on that with the 'well actually because Wet is not being the leader he is supposed to be Raimi couldn't handle it and got sick because she's not meant to be the leader'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Let's Play Star Ocean 4: Can You Deliberately Make Something Terrible for Me?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shoeless posted:

I'd prefer it cut down.
Yeah I agree...these endless dungeons get old after awhile

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Go with your heart.

I would say "What would Edge Maverick do?" but that answer would be "Blow up Earth" so maybe don't do that one.
At least it was Nazi Earth though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Is there an actual overarching plot to this game or are our merry band of sociopaths bumbling from one disconnected vignette to another?
They once in awhile try to pretend that the missing ship is an overarching plot and then they spend 8 hours on Medieval Planet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welch is indeed their handler. Orders get relayed through her to the Calnus.
Except when that one fat guy with the crazy mustache decides to just call and yell at them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone, including Backup himself, has completely forgotten that was their original goal. I'm convinced that isn't even in the game.
I mean it barely matters since the game has no plot really. They were on their way to that planet when they ended up on Alternate Nazi Earth, which was another completely pointless thing that only resulted in adding a party member and making Edge even whinier for a period. Then this whole Roak section, which so far has taken up like 50% of the gameplay as seen, really didn't make a huge difference anyway. It's been ages since the original plotline of 'we are in space to find a habitable planet for colonization' has even come up. Almost as long is the whole 'we have a missing ship we're trying to find' plotline which was last mentioned when Boob Elf became a party member.

Now that I think about it, initially at the beginning of the game it was a big deal when Faize showed up since he was the first alien any of them had seen. But that whole thing was rendered moot when it turned out that the captain and the Earth Starfleet people revealed that they had known about these aliens for some time. Since then Edge/Raimi don't bat much of an eye when they see a new alien.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do love how anytime a character is having a existential crisis or is having issues all of the others just ignore it (Edge, Faize). In fairness though, no one cares about Faize and his awful scarf cape

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pork Lift posted:

2 of the people in this LP are proper adults, one is an internet celebrity and today I dried myself off after a shower with a pair of socks.
This was one of the funnier LPs I'd ever seen and I was disappointed when it was abandoned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Escape From Bug Island

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why are there portraits now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Momomo posted:

I was honestly expecting it to be some sort of hivemind thing that would give him the power of every Eldarian, so finding out it's essentially nothing is pretty disappointing.
I assumed the Missing Procedure or whatever was controlling him somehow and there would be a payoff, but nooooopppeeee

Really amazing all of the completely unnecessary side plots this game has, between Nazi Earth and almost everything on Roak, where the plot basically ground to a halt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wateyad posted:

Episode 89: These Bubbles Are Forever Blowing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirpQW6gRBE

+10 bonus points for the Rocco's Modern Life reference

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At least we get to kill Faize ourselves

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I was laughing at the thought that Faize might be the final boss when he started to go all red eyed earlier and then it actually loving happened. I hate this game.
It's fitting to me that Faize's master plan is, 'Well I couldn't save my people, so I guess I will just hit the universe-wide reset button! No, this is totally not incoherent!'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

coleman francis posted:

I too am sick of wet mavericks nonsense.
Whoever wins, we lose

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Benach posted:

I still don't understand what the gently caress was the deal with this. I thought it might've been foreshadowing for something, but this never came up again, so I'm forced to assume it's just nonsense.

This game sure was garbage from start to finish. Makes me feel silly for ever wanting to play it myself. Thanks for the LP.
Like about 80% of this game, that whole "we're going rogue" plot thread was immediately solved when the giant angry planet thing showed up in the solar system.

That whole 'hey, it's the dead scientist from doomed Nazi Earth' thing was also unnecessary unless that comes up in another one of these games or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear there was no reason for MeowMix to even be in this game, out of all the characters. Granted Faize didn't really need to be in it either except so they could make him the final boss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm like 90% sure it was just because SO1 had a cat lady so SO4 needed one too
I mean seriously, that entire Nazi Earth side-plot was just so they could add one more party member and then have Raimi/Edge do a double-take in an end-game cutscene when an identical looking scientist guy shows up. That's it.

Also like 90% of what happened on Roak was pointless, and I'm pretty sure that was 1/3 of the game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and apparently if you get all the endings, no characters actually died. Faize somehow survives and shows up on Lemuris, and even Crowe washes up on a beach on Roak and marries BoobElf? The hell?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wateyad posted:

Err, Nazi Earth is the big example of how high tech people interacting with low tech people can go horribly wrong and also the thing that makes Edge get introspective about the knock on effects his actions migt have. As thoroughly idiotic as both are, that part of the game is absolutely vital to both the game's overall narrative arc and Edge's arc as a character.
They already do that to an extent with the idea that the Grigori are forcing evolution though. It seems redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.
My favorite thing has to be Faize being dead, until it turns out he has merged with some entity. Then he falls to his death, except once again no, he magics his way out of the black hole or whatever if you get the right ending. Stakes? In a video game? What are those?

• Locked thread