Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
After this first hour, the only good thing I can say about this game is "At least it has Laura Bailey in it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

My perception of Tri-Ace is as an extremely creative studio but one with absolutely no filter applied to any of their ideas. They make games that are (mostly mechanically) full of weird poo poo with no attention paid to whether any of it is actually fun or makes any kind of sense. As such the games they make are generally fascinating but more often than not they are bad games. That said, I genuinely and sincerely hope they never stop doing their thing.
I assume the weird poo poo in 4 makes itself apparent later. I didn't see anything that creative in the 30-minute-long combat tutorial.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Poulpe posted:

- they weren't afraid to spend time developing weird/crappy distractions and mini-games, much like the aforementioned iron chef cook off. More generally, this is something I think really drags down modern RPGs, if you think of the "great classics", Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG for example, they're all chock full of weird mini games, plot based or otherwise to grab your attention and keep you from getting bored of endless RPG battles. And it works! I don't know why this trend dropped off so hard but RPGs took a hit with it!
Because now we understand that if players will get bored of the thing your game is actually about, you need to address that instead of trying to distract them from it. You have to make sure your core systems are fun before you start adding new ones.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 16, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

D_W posted:

Naw. It's more that now games are much more expensive to make and publishers pressure devs to get them out fast. So a lot of that stuff has to be cut or simplified.
That too. It's all related. Unless you're Blizzard, you don't have the money to stay in development forever, and because you know that, you have to focus your attention on the things that are most important - but we've also gotten better at understanding what's important. The "more is better" design mentality that led to a lot of those minigames and things is dying, if not dead. Of course every game has things that the team wishes they could have added or improved before they shipped, but that isn't new. If anything, it's gotten better - sometimes you get to do them in patches or DLC now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

HD art assets are unreasonably expensive to produce but for whatever reason, any time someone making an RPG gets a whiff of budget they immediately decide that they have to be producing an immersive high fidelity world even though they inevitably still don't actually have the AAA budget necessary to do that properly and almost anyone who's playing JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Xenoblade at this point would almost certainly be willing to accept visuals on a par with, say, Tales of Graces and an old school semi-abstracted world map if it meant more complete and fleshed out feeling games. Instead we get worlds that are tiny by virtue of having to be "to scale" and where getting from place to place involves crossing big empty fields surrounded by high cliffs.

As a side note though I should mention in the interests of fairness that Tales of Berseria is going to have a bunch of minigames.
Or you can play Compile Heart games and get the worst of all worlds!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If I'm being serious, I agree completely.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Games like this are the reason I'm so bewildered when people act like Final Fantasy 13 is the worst thing to ever happen to RPGs.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's certainly true that FF13 was much more expensive, and much more disappointing to a lot more people. And you could even argue that if it can be compared to this game at all, it's already failed.

It's hard for me to talk about this game in good faith, though, because no matter what I say about the game parts of the game, it will never really be about that. The real reason I already hate it after such little time is because it's sexist. That's the number one thing on my mind when I watch these videos.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 20, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Artix posted:

God help me, but I'm about to defend Star Ocean 4. Yeah, he's only got the one combo/special attack right now, but remember that we are like...an hour into the game, tops. And even then it's only that long because he stopped to fight literally everything he came across. Once(/If) he actually gets things moving and makes some progress we'll start seeing skill books and other goodies drop and we'll get more specials.
It's only an hour or less if you ignore the tutorial and all the cutscenes, which is pretty disingenuous. And even at that, an hour is probably way too long to go with so little to do.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

goatface posted:

Your spelf is a bit underwhelming.
That happened to me once. I got some cream from the chemist, and that cleared it right up. You don't need a prescription or anything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

It's like watching a comedy duo act, except one half of the duo has only heard of comedy in passing and the other half was told that this was going to be a serious drama scene.
Sounds just like my first marriage.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

This game, however, has managed to make me angrier than anything else we've ever played.
Glad to hear it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I know this game is never going to get good, but does it at least get silly before too long?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'll take it. Silly, crazy, stupid. Anything. As long as it starts being aggressively bad, it might at least be entertaining. So far all there is to even make fun of is Blade Firebrand's name.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sam Raimi not being the healer is the first thing about this game I don't hate.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On the topic of singing terrible anime songs, I can still sing most of Fuwa Fuwa Time from memory because of you fuckers.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

The K-On! music is all genuinely good and not just wateyad has broken taste in music good.

For the record the song we were talking about in the video was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByzXOc6HWA
I'm not sure I'd be so generous, but it's definitely better than that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

It's all still there, it's just blocked in specifically America for some reason by the music label.
It's blocked in Australia too.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 3, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

I'm sure the last time I checked it was just America but sure enough, it's now also Australia, New Zealand and Mexico.
That's even weirder. Does someone somehow have the rights to that music in exactly those four countries?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

No, the claimant is Pony Canyon, the Japanese record label.
It must be some automated system gone haywire, then, right?

The world may never know the answer to the Riddle of the K-On Geoblock.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, that makes sense. I guess the world may know after all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you happen to be in the very specific demographic that enjoys both this thread and magical girl shows, you might be exactly who I made my magical girl name generator for. It gives you ten at random each time you reload the page.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 11, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

I have .avs files for up to episode 33 and an entire other day of recording's footage I haven't touched yet. At the point we're at, Lymle technically has the most attack options with two different cerberus summoning techniques and three attack spells while Wet, SamRaimi and [REDACTED] have three non-spell special attacks each. Honestly though, the variety of attacks available doesn't change very much when the controls and system mechanics encourage you to construct a single combo to spam and do nothing to discourage that from being as many copies of the same attack as you can set.
I'm surprised you don't have more party members by that point. I was expecting this to be the kind of game that would poo poo out more characters than you could ever want or use.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As if these hacks know what a dimension really is. As far as they know or care "fourth dimension" probably just means "alternate universe", right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Don't you just hate it when your pickup group keeps standing in the fire and you have to solo the rest of the boss fight?

Good thing there are no enrage timers in this game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

The BEAT system is just stats. The video you watched the person would have likely set the tactics for the other characters to not be 'all out attack' and to something more useful.
If there's a "don't stand in the fire" setting, why isn't that the default?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

This series has so much promise to be something different in the massively overplayed JRPG catalog, but nope, gotta keep the idea of "Sci-Fi JRPG" as far as loving possible from this.

Seriously, you would think the idea of "JRPG in Outer Space" would have more entries, but there are honestly so loving few it's astounding.
Part of it is that the game mechanics don't translate to science fiction very well. It's nearly impossible to do without using psionics or nanomachines or whatever as Space Magic, and at that point you've already taken a huge step back toward what you're trying to get away from.

You're right that it's a huge problem that RPGs have become thematically and mechanically stagnant, but those things are related, and if someone manages to find a clean and elegant solution that really resonates with people, it won't just be a fantasy RPG with a fresh coat of paint.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 28, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

I don't mind the game mechanics so much. gently caress, you can keep most of the mechanics for skills and poo poo from SO4 or whatever, those aren't really important. The "fresh coat of paint" would in many ways be enough. I miss stuff like Wild Arms, too, where the world isn't just castles and forests and caves and the same fantasy poo poo over and over. Sometimes all you want is a new theme and style, and the idea of Star Ocean seemingly being "we take these fuckers from a backwards planet and throw them into the future" should be good, but it generally ends up being "space visits the backwater planet and tries really, really hard to be irrelevant, because gently caress you".
That's fair. You don't have to change the world to make a great game, and you sure as poo poo don't have to change the world to make one better than Star Ocean 4.

Plain old space fantasy isn't as interesting to me as going all-in on SF, but it's not too unreasonable to make a fantasy RPG where the first part is set on a failed interstellar colony and all the "magic" is lost technology from a precursor race of humans. Then later you go to space. Something like that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Had this game passed the Bechdel test before that conversation between Welch and Limb, or did it take nine and a half hours just to get that far?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Momomo posted:

To be fair I think most video games have this exact same problem.
If anything, that just means people should point it out more often.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"a FETUS!" yells the fourth-dimensional god-being at the traumatised child
yes, this is exactly the kind of positive representation of women that games need more of. I'm glad you agree

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why is Sam Raimi talking about "secondary school"? I thought this game was translated by yanks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've been watching someone stream Persona 5 lately. Makes for a hell of a contrast. The sheer gulf in quality between that game and this one is astonishing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You post the videos at around 1 or 2 AM my time, and Star Ocean 4 is very good at putting me to sleep.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

AI party members are kinda just inherently bad design on a pure skill testing action game level.
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with having extra pieces on the board that the player has to account for. The real question you have to ask is "What does it add to my game that I couldn't do better with an elaborate system of passive skills?".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

The fundamental gameplay of an action game is eliminating enemies while avoiding taking damage. If you introduce AI teammates, how good should they be at avoiding taking damage? If you have them taking damage while getting in there and mixing it up then that's damage the player couldn't skill their way out of. If you make them invincible then they become just a source of damage the player didn't have to earn. This isn't to say that there are absolutely no interesting things that can be done with AI party members but by including them, you are compromising your game as an action game in order to introduce elements of other genres.
You're absolutely right about all that, but I don't think it's a surprise that games like this prioritise other things over being the Platonic ideal of an action game, is it?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

Not a surprise, no but people seemed to be deciding that the game making the most bare bones of efforts at having interesting action game bosses was a bad thing because the AI couldn't handle them and that seemed kind of backwards to me. The AI isn't dying because it doesn't know how to deal with the boss having a weak point anyway, it's dying because it doesn't know how to dodge and, well, see my last post. If anything, the AI actively shouldn't know about the weak point thing because the whole point is that it's something the player needs to figure out and exploit.
Especially since it's not any harder to balance your fights around only one character hitting the weak point. I think this game probably is balanced around that. I can't imagine they were that stupid.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Shoutouts to the singular they. Eat poo poo, prescriptivists.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I remember this episode of Futurama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

filthychimp posted:

Oh god, I'm another person who played this game and forgot Meracle even existed, she's such a lovely character.
But look at how far she's come since the '50s - she's the chancellor of Germany now.

• Locked thread