Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So, fun fact: The original 360 release of this did not have a target switch button. At all. You were at the mercy of the auto-targeting. That's why it's so weirdly mapped to Start.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

When I played this I didn't have an HDTV yet so this really didn't look so bad compared to other games, but holy poo poo look at that resolution in battle. Is that even 480p? It looks like someone put a smear filter over everything that's not the UI.

Also the amount of bloom is straight up absurd.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think that skill you learned is related to the BEAT system thing, so it would be under Character rather than under Skills. Despite the fact that the "Learned" prompt at the end of battle used the same icon as the Skills category in the menu.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Excellent.

By the way, make sure you periodically check your Glossary or whatever it's called, there's a few really absurd things in there that never actually get brought up by the game proper.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh, you think that one's the worst? I feel like there's at least two that are even worse.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

coleman francis posted:

So we're like halfway thru the game right?

Lemme put it this way: This game came on 3 DVDs on the Xbox 360. We're still in the middle of Disc 1.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Vesperia does definitely have the "you can't hold this item, do you want to put it back?" prompt.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I forgot how long this terrible dungeon was. Geez.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Considering the sequel was made on a fraction of the budget while also featuring double the AI characters while still having a PS3 version, no, not even slightly.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The chests were there before, it's just that Lymle has the "show chests on map" skill.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For reference, this is the Star Ocean 1 track this is a remix of, which sounds much more like a battle theme if you ask me.

I mean, I appreciate that they actually bothered changing the battle track, but yeah, I agree that it's not a particularly good choice for a battle track.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Am I missing something or are you guys intentionally playing dumb here? We have a party member whose last name is almost exactly 'Lemuria'.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh that's definitely what they're going for but that doesn't make her any less annoying.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You know a thing I actually appreciate? The subtitles for character names work correctly even when the character name is cut off. Wet's subtitle said "S-SamRaimi!?" instead of "R-SamRaimi!?".

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For those keeping track, if we were playing the Xbox 360 release of this game, we would have switched from Disc 1 to Disc 2 during the loading screen at 13:28. Yes, during that completely arbitrary screen transition.

This also feels like a good time to remind people that this game is three discs on the 360.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

If I'm remembering what I heard about the 360 version correctly, we would have to disc swap every single time we crossed that zone line due to how data was allocated: everything up to that point was disc 1, everything from there to final planet was disc 2, final planet is disc 3.

You're only partially correct. Once you swap from Disc 1 to Disc 2, you never need Disc 1 again -- all the still accessible areas of Disc 1 (Tungus, Skyrim, and our current planet) are still on Disc 2. However, the areas on Disc 2 and the areas on Disc 3 are indeed mutually exclusive, and require swapping back and forth.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

All the boss fights in this game are such goddamn slogs. Who thought this was a good battle system?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I don't even blame them, the UI for special skills in equipment is terrible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

65535 is the maximum for an unsigned 16 bit integer, or two bytes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Like all Star Ocean games, levels mean nothing compared to the synthesis system. Not that this game in particular makes it easy to (ab)use, unlike say SO3, especially since we only just got access to it with Serah joining the party.

Also, like SO3, I think the game wants you to use the Bonus Board way more (read: farm for a full set of 14 +10% EXP and not lose it) than we're doing here.

It probably doesn't help that we've been spreading around EXP to a full party rather than sticking to a core few instead, either.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 16, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I definitely remember this revisit to Aeos and especially this cutscene being the dumbest part of the game, though none of the specifics.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I do like the idea of playing a Tales game for contrast, something like Graces or Xillia probably works.

Though I wouldn't mind a non-JRPG game as a palette cleanser either.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

https://bd.baldurk.org/lp/167

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah I dunno what happened to that one.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

E: he said if it's PS4 he needs a new capture device

If you're fine with recording in 720p than some HDMI -> Component converter like this should work just fine, which is much cheaper.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

In order:

Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia
Pandora's Tower
Grandia 1
Super Mario 3D world
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Opoona

The rest I don't have any particular preference either way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

As in the classic RTS style fog of war? You just don't draw any object (or partially draw it with 100% transparency on one side) that is far enough away from any of your units.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So uh how does that work? Do we just re-vote between the two? I'm still for Graces.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For reference, landing on En II switches from Disc 2 to Disc 3 (of 3) on the 360 version. If you ever want to go back to Tungus, Skyrim, or Roak, you'll have to switch back to Disc 2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

God this game is stupid. I'm not surprised I forgot pretty much everything about this plot.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I actually had to laugh at the comment at 11:58, you think this game has some sensible design somewhere.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Xbox 360 release of Star Ocean 4 had two different UI styles; one for the Japanese version of the game (the light blue with anime-style portraits in the latest video) and one for the version the rest of the world got (the dark blue with 3D renders). For the PS3 version they realized, hey, maybe people would like to be able to select instead of it being forced on them depending on where they live.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Can't you disintegrate those force field diamonds? I seem to remember that, out of all things.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It was the secret commentary on one of the Two Worlds videos, I think the super long one: https://bd.baldurk.org/lp/168 / https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL81s2Z1UedT5Ol9VzGF58eFmbqIc-qu37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You forgot an important detail, at least assuming you're playing the 360 version: The Calnus, and thus your synthesis menu, is stuck on the final dungeon planet, which is on Disc 3. The (first) bonus dungeon is on Roak, which is on Disc 2. Have fun with that one.

• Locked thread