Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This is an awful awful game about a collection of dollfies blundering through every single godawful anime cliche they can find. The voice acting is horrid, the music is trash and the graphics make everything look like plastic. It lasts for approximately 900 hours and feels twice as long.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I was on the fence about Welch, but then I listened to her theme music on repeat for ten hours and now I love her and her comedy antics.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I remember Lymle's backstory never really comes up in game, it's all hived off into the encyclopedia. So most players are just going to assume her voice acting is terrible by accident instead of deliberately.

Lymle is terrible in general though. She's creepy and obnoxious, and not in a funny way. Her weird movement animations jump her straight into the uncanny valley too.

McDragon posted:

I hope you carry on with the documentary shtick, it was making me laugh horribly.
I would also like to request that David Attenborough narrate every video from now on.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

There's still a long way to go.

I'm impressed Pork Lift and Wateyad have finished the tutorial, the first planet and a good chunk of the second planet in only 16 episodes, with no editing. It felt way longer when I played it. Maybe that's just the effect The Last Hope has on people.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

SO5's not that bad. I mean, it's not good but...

I found the cast to be way less irritating- in fact they're kind of fun. Even the Limb equivalent isn't insufferable. The battle system is dumb but sometimes enjoyable in a mindless way. The story moves faster than SO4's. Some of the music is alright. That's all the nice things I can think to say.

The worst thing is that they very obviously ran out of money half way through. Environments are sparse and repeat over and over again, as do the monster designs. The plot goes round and round in circles and the big epic events always happen off-screen. Sprawling capital cities consist of a town square and ten NPCs. It all just looks cheap in a way that SO4, for all its faults, doesn't.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

How much of it takes place in something other than a fantasy medieval land? Is it more than 5%? That's the like one good thing you can say about SO4, the plot goes to multiple loving places that aren't "medieval fantasy land.'
Nope, all fantasy land all the time. Well, almost all the time.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This dungeon is terrible, but at least we have the music of Blink-182 to soothe us.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Let's Play Star Ocean 4: The Testing of Eric Maverick

Inferior fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 21, 2016

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Drive Time with Pork Lift took a dark turn.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

megane posted:

You know... maybe it's pedantic of me, but I really hate the way this series drops its own name. In Star Ocean 1 the phrase "star ocean" is made up by a girl from Roak when she sees space for the first time. It's this defining moment for the sci-fi/fantasy thing the whole series is theoretically about. But every sequel has it casually thrown around by the space-faring people as well, with no explanation, so it's just... random slang, I guess? I dunno, it just bothers me. It'd be like if every Final Fantasy game made of point of having a line like "uh oh, this looks like it'll be our FINAL FANTASY right guys?"
I'd love it if they namedropped Final Fantasy more often in the FF games. Ideally it'd always happen just after you beat the final boss.

"Man, they really wanted to destroy the world."
"I guess it was their... FINAL FANTASY."

Everyone laughs, freeze frame, roll credits.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

1. Grandia because it is a lovely and charming game that mashes together everything good about JRPGs, and you guys deserve a break. Also the combat system still holds up.

2. Blue Dragon because ETERNITYYYYYY.

3. Opoona because I know nothing about it and it looks cute.

All the others are dull or repetitive or have been LP'd by other people recently.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Blue Dragon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The discussion of space battles reminds me that in Star Ocean 5 there is an equally lengthy clash between ships, but because they had no budget for CGI there's no cutscene. Instead the whole thing is just the heroes sat on their ship's bridge, talking about what's happening outside. Very dramatically. For twenty minutes. It's great.

• Locked thread