Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gameplay actually looks fun, but we're four hours in and the more I think about the story the more gigantic plot holes I see. Four hours in.

Makes sense that we seemed so ill prepared for the flight given we knew space elves were waiting for us, but, well, you'd think they'd tell us about the bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welch would be great in very small doses with every character reacting to her in horror, kind of like Edge's first encounter. The character played "straight" just does not really work.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"To investigate planets suitable for colonization, and eliminate impediments to said colonization." Is that the first time we've had the mission statement explicitly spelled out? That seems so carefully localized I'm guessing "eliminate" is going to be interpreted very differently at some point in the story?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ivantod posted:

I remember some nasty sudden difficulty spikes soon.

I'm very curious how bad it gets. So far the story and characters are pretty low points, but the gameplay itself looks pretty fun. I'm still waiting to see why so many people near the start of this thread mentioned they just couldn't finish it (for unspecified reason).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

If you happen to be in the very specific demographic that enjoys both this thread and magical girl shows, you might be exactly who I made my magical girl name generator for. It gives you ten at random each time you reload the page.

This is amazing. The last time I was involved in setting up a cluster someone named all the servers after Gundams. I'll know what I'll be using next time.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coleman francis posted:

So we're like halfway thru the game right?

I was curious. We've had 18 updates, and in in game clock is at 18h28m. There have been only 7h19m of actual videos, so either there is a lot of stuff going on off camera, or a lot of time is spent idling in game while our heroes are doing real life things. I'm going to guess the latter.

Either way, according to google the game takes about 47.5 hours to beat normally. So we're either 39% of the way through, or 15% of the way through the game. I feel like nothing has really happened yet, and it doesn't look like there has been any grinding, so I'm guessing 15% is more likely.

At this rate, we got either 28 or 105 more updates. We've averaging an update every 3.5 days. This means the LP should be finished somewhere around December 21st 2016 (39%) or September 17, 2017 (15%). Curious how close we get to either of these figures.

(By the way, I wouldn't have made an effortpost if I wasn't really enjoying the LP. Also, I think there is a speedrun of this game in under 3 hours.)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 15, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

Really? That seems surprising, much like every RPG there's a whole lot of walking around and stuff you have to do that doesn't directly advance the plot that it feels like it takes up over 3 hours by itself, even minus required battles/battle prep.

I'm guessing either there is a huge context skipping exploit, or some exploit in the crafting system that basically turns every battle into an insta-win. Will be curious to find out which in a year. Assuming there isn't something in this game that just completely turns me off to it between now and the end.

I'm hoping it's not that at some point the final boss ungates but you have tons of optional missions to help with the battle, like Mass Effect. I don't mind this formula, but it tends to be incredibly hit-or-miss and I don't trust tri-Ace to not mess it up.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 16, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the SO3 LP out of curiosity, wanting the terribleness for myself. I feel like with a great writing staff you could have fit everything up to the big reveal in ~5-10 hours, spend the rest of the game focusing on fallout from what happened at the game's climax, and had a really interesting game. Instead they go out of their way to avoid any large implications from the plot twist and just used it to set up the final battles. I could go into a lot more depth about this, but it would be so incredibly spoiler heavy it really is the wrong thread. It does upset me how great of an opportunity they blew.

I did save one screenshot from that LP that really stuck out. Noone ever touching the subject again really shows how much the writers didn't want to deal with the ramifications of the world they created, and :elon musk:. Or it's a very poor attempt at lampshading -- but given the context and the skill of the writers I don't think it is. Super spoilery screenshot.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 24, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I youtube'd the fight because I was curious if others had this much trouble. I found a video that took the fight on at around the party's level -- basically controlling Edge who dances in and out of melee -- but the AI characters seem a lot less suicidal. Is that what the BEAT system controls? The :downs: solution is to grind to level 25 or so where your def is high enough you can just stand in the fire and have enough defense to survive.

I'm also guessing Edge is supposed to be wearing that ~25% fire resistance armor that we found.

I can't wait to find out what retarded plot twist we get that forces the ending to be non-cannon. So far it's pretty standard JRPG fare, and SO3 sets a really high bar.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: n/m

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i81icu812 posted:

counterpoint: he's an elf.

I just finished reading the Puntil thread, and now you've inexorably linked 555 with that glorious monstrosity in my mind.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 12, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When trying to google how to spell 555's name, half the results would be about the jiggle physics in this game. I was wondering how long until that was going to come into play.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty hard to beat Breath of Fire 6 for terrible mobile cash-ins, especially since Dragon Quarter (BoF 5) is such an excellent game. There was absolutely no shame in the design of this game, the initial press pack with images like this showcasing Nina 6 was enough for fans to pretty much immedietly give up hope.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never played a jRPG where the AI was in control of a good portion of your team. How do competently designed games of this nature handle bosses?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was triggering a kill switch. Which would have made a lot more sense if we skipped the exposition section and went right to the bulkheads. I wonder if that might have been the original intent, and the cutscene was shoehorned in later?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shoeless posted:

I think it fails because an ultimate protagonist who can do no wrong is in and of itself a bad, uncreative thing. It's why people don't like Mary Sues. And even if there is a way to do it without it being obnoxious, as you say the way they're trying to do it here is completely wrong.

Anime was a mistake.

We can blame Anime for a lot of this game, but the shining protagonist whose faults actually are hidden strengths is a trope they stole from the west. That chess scene is probably the poorest execution of the trope I've ever seen. So bad I couldn't stop laughing.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I hope we start the war.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Limb is growing on me. Really, a lot of the terrible things about her character are opaque if you aren't aware of the :anime: tropes surrounding her. Meracle is just god awful at face value.

Of course, I feel like there is a terrible side to Limb's characterization that really hasn't come out yet based on what some of the people who've played the game have implied. We'll see how I feel about this post in a couple of months.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is some of the worst storytelling I've ever seen in a game. I don't even know where to begin.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As I said I've grown fond of Limb, but I will never stop thinking of MeowMix as a terrible character. Limb's vocal tic at least has a equivalent in U.S. english (some people really do talk like Mr. Garrison) so I can live with it, but the whole "Nyan"/"Meow" thing just does not translate culturally and me cringe every time she says it. Also, the trope we were all fearing Limb would be playing off of never really came to be, and if you know nothing about the horrors of Anime doesn't even register initially. MeowMix's outfit puts it in your face every time she is on the screen; and you don't need to know a thing about Anime Tropes to understand what kid-in-bondage-gear is trying to convey.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 6, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was mentioned that triace wanted to sell the engine. I feel like a lot of the strangely detailed parts of the city were motivated as part of a tech demo.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Reimi's deal is basically the same as the immortal dilemma. She will live through things others won't. It's no fun having superpowers if everyone else you know doesn't and they die horrible deaths, resenting you for the gift you never asked for.

It feels more like plain old survivor's guilt. I'm pretty sure the trio will still age and die of natural causes.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jokes aside is the LP actually over? Based on hints you guys dropped earlier in the thread I just assumed this dungeon was taking so long because of how hard it was to edit. Did the LP curse finally strike you guys and something more catastrophic happened to the footage or your computer?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wateyad posted:

Okay so I know what answer this forum would give to this question in any other context but you all watch our videos and have stuck with this mess up until now so I figured I'd ask.

Two videos of mostly backtracking studded with occasional important cutscenes and instances of dead air that speak volumes on how we're feeling at the time or one video edited down to just the bits that at least sort of matter?

If you hate yourself you could always do both. I mean, if you do the latter it seems like it would be zero extra work to do the former.

I vote for the unedited option over the edited one.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zagglezig posted:

Now I'm trying to think of what the oldest realistic age for a party member in one of these types of games has been. Not including special cases of young-looking people who are actually centuries old dragons/vampires/cryo-sleep victims. The ones coming to mind generally top out at mid 30s. Maybe that merchant dude from Dragon Quest 4.

First one that came to mind was Tella from FF4, at 60 years.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

Wow, that speech Reimi gave halfway through the video sounded like a dang marriage proposal.

You know, considering man-proposes-to-woman is pretty much the one untouchable gender norm in our culture, I would have had to give the game some respect if this actually happened. They were so close too.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Blue Dragon actually a good game? I've always been interested in it because of it's history but almost never hear anything about the game itself.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Genuinely curious what the gimmick of that fight was supposed to be.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wateyad posted:

Episode 85: Gratuitous(ly Drawn Out) Space Battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPR4cLcATs

I'm a bit late to the party, but this is the video made me realize that I've wasted close to two days of my life on this game.

The way they dealt with the drawings to me is the absolute worst part of this video*. I didn't see it coming either, but I also feel like what really should have happened after the dramatic landing and meowmix's cut is . . . nothing. Instead not only do we get Lyml revealing what just happened, which ok I guess that isn't out of character; but we get to spend a full minute of narration making absolutely sure it's not lost on us exactly what just happened. Literally the worst possible way to handle what could have been a genuinely good narrative point.

(*ok, maybe second worst. If we're all running around with black hole superweapons absolutely nothing about the battles and tactics we've seen in this game makes sense)

Is this where we start the pool on how long the ending cutscene is going to be? If this was 35 minutes it has to be at least an hour, right?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for suffering through this games for us.

So what is the postgame like, and how broken is Synthesis? I attempted to google a bit about Synthesis, and discovered that the first hit on google for "so4 crafting system" is an article entitled "Star Ocean 5's combat is the worst battle system I've ever played ...".

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread