Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy is the latest installment in the Danganronpa series. Following the first two installments, both of which were visual novel/adventure games making their original debut on the PlayStation Portable in Japan (and later on PlayStation Vita, which the US ended up getting), Danganronpa 3 is a brand new story set in the same universe as the first two games, but is actually an anime production. It is intended to be the final chapter in the "Hope's Peak Academy" storyline, while another game titled New Danganronpa V3 is currently in development taking place in an entirely new setting.

However, Danganronpa 3 itself is not just one anime show, but two different shows under the same name. The first half, Side: Future (Mirai-hen), takes place following the events of Danganronpa 2, while the second half, Side: Despair (Zetsubō-hen), is actually a prequel to Danganronpa 2, starring the cast of that game. Both parts will be airing during the Summer 2016 anime season.

It is highly recommended that those who have not played Danganronpa 1 and Danganronpa 2 should do so immediately. This thread will contain unmarked spoilers for both of these games, along with other material related to the "Hope's Peak Academy" storyline (namely Ultra Despair Girls). If you would like to play them for yourself, you can purchase the games for PlayStation Vita, or you can buy both DR1 and DR2 on Steam.

Both shows are available for viewing on Funimation. Side: Future begins July 11th, and Side: Despair begins July 14th.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Side: Future is the sequel to Danganronpa 2 and the final chapter of the "Hope's Peak Academy" storyline established in Danganronpa 1 and 2.

PLOT
Makoto Naegi, one of the survivors of the School Life of Mutual Killing, is under suspicion of treason by his comrades in the Future Foundation following his protection of the Remnants of Despair, those who carry on the will of Ultimate Despair. As they gather to decide his fate, Monokuma traps all of them and initiates a "Final Killing" game. In this game that foregoes the use of the Class Trial, Naegi and his comrades must find the traitor among their ranks that plans to kill all of them, lest they all perish to a time-activated poison.

CAST

Makoto Naegi: Ultimate Lucky Student. Is a bit more optimistic than most people.

Kyoko Kirigiri: Ultimate Detective. Possesses a cool head and sharp reasoning skills.

Aoi Asahina: Ultimate Swimmer. Air-headed and has a love of donuts.

Yasuhiro Hagakure: Ultimate Clairvoyant. Cheery and laid-back, but incredibly bad with money.

Kazuo Tengan: Former Hope's Peak Academy Headmaster. Laments over exterminating despair and wishes for a peaceful world.

Kyosuke Munakata: Former Ultimate Student Council President. Cold and authoritative, his goal is the complete extermination of Ultimate Despair.

Chisa Yukizome: Former Ultimate Housekeeper. Brave and hard-working, with a cheerful disposition.

Ruruka Andō: Former Ultimate Confectioner. Seems friendly, but gets annoyed easily, and hates those who betray her.

Sōnosuke Izayoi: Former Ultimate Blacksmith. Skilled in weapons development, but rarely talks to anyone aside from Ruruka.

Ryōta Mitarai: Ultimate Animator. Very timid, but also very serious with a strong sense of justice.

Daisaku Bandai: Former Ultimate Farmer. Has a soft and cutesy voice contrasting his large build, often makes up his own phrases.

Great Gozu: Former Ultimate Wrestler. Wears a mask over his head. Seems intimidating, but is actually calm and gentle in nature.

Miaya Gekkōgahara: Former Ultimate Therapist. Extremely shy and doesn't speak.

Jūzō Sakakura: Former Ultimate Boxer. Rough and prideful, very accustomed to bullying and demeaning others.

Kōichi Kizakura: Former Hope's Peak Academy Talent Scout. Known to be careless, but is also reliable and has a sharp intuition.

Seiko Kimura: Former Ultimate Pharmacist. Has a reserved personality, can be startled easily.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 12, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Side: Despair is the prequel to Danganronpa 2 and will air concurrently alongside Side: Future.

PLOT
Taking place before Danganronpa 1, the story will follow the cast of Danganronpa 2 prior to the events leading up to "The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History."

CAST

Hajime Hinata: Ultimate ???. Reveres Hope's Peak more than anyone.

Chiaki Nanami: Ultimate Gamer. Oblivious and spacey, tends to nap a lot.

Nagito Komaeda: Ultimate Lucky Student. Is fascinated with the concept of hope.

Kazuichi Souda: Ultimate Mechanic. Has a tendency to overreact.

Gundam Tanaka: Ultimate Breeder. Dramatic in appearance and manner, but has a soft spot for animals. Has four hamsters that he calls his "Four Dark Devas of Destruction."

Mikan Tsumiki: Ultimate Nurse. Extremely frail and anxious, cries easily.

Ibuki Mioda: Ultimate Musician. Hyperactive and outgoing, left her former band due to... creative differences.

Nekomaru Nidai: Ultimate Team Manager. Bursting at the seams with energy, suffers from dyspepsia.

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: Ultimate Yakuza. Successor of the largest yakuza family in the country. Quick to anger if his boyish face is mentioned.

Mahiru Koizumi: Ultimate Photographer. Strong-minded and bears a deep loathing of men.

Peko Pekoyama: Ultimate Swordswoman. Appears very serious, but is quite feminine.

Sonia Nevermind: Ultimate Princess. Foreign exchange student from Novoselic who is greatly interested in the occult.

Teruteru Hanamura: Ultimate Cook. Often makes perverse remarks around women, prefers to be called Chef.

Hiyoko Saionji: Ultimate Traditional Dancer. Appears innocent and childlike, but is actually incredibly selfish and malicious.

Akane Owari: Ultimate Gymnast. Dim-witted and blunt, but loves food.

Byakuya TogamiRyōta Mitarai: Ultimate Animator. Very timid, but also very serious with a strong sense of justice.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 12, 2016

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't quite explain my fondness for this weird, gross franchise but it's definitely a thing. I was freaking out in the first episode of Future at the sight of the despair kids in their actual despair forms. Tanaka was leading an army of bloodthirsty animals! Kuzuryu and Peko leading an army of Monokuma gangsters! The forbidden fusion of traditional Japanese dance and experimental Japanese music!

The rest of the episode kind of played out like I expected it to, but that little montage blew me away. Will be interesting to see how the Persona 4 protagonist shapes up through the course of this series, as he seems to be the Naegi/Hinata of Future Foundation (even though Naegi is actually in the FF)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm going to watch. i need to know what happened to my academy friends.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm interested to see how this will handle having no Class Trials and maybe that'll better fit a 12 episode format cause hooooly hell was the anime of the first game not good. Sending the tired animator boy all my power so he survives this show cause he's my fav. but I really doubt it.

Also this show's biggest failing so far is that my favorite DR friend, Byakuya Togami, will not be in this series. I do not remember enough of Despair Girls to say if it's impossible he could be here, but like he's in DR2 with Kirigiri and Naegi, what are you doing, put my boy in.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Also this show's biggest failing so far is that my favorite DR friend, Byakuya Togami, will not be in this series. I do not remember enough of Despair Girls to say if it's impossible he could be here, but like he's in DR2 with Kirigiri and Naegi, what are you doing, put my boy in.

https://my.mixtape.moe/fdmfpr.webm

oh drat they don't loop by default here

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
look I appreciate the sentiment, and Fat Togami is an absolute delight, I love them, but it aint the same. I need my mean rich boy being a dick to everyone because he has a superiority complex

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
All I know is that the opening is amazing and that my boy Hagakure will survive this whole thing because he's that kinda guy who doesn't do anything and never dies( hell he was outside when they were attacked so he isn't even part of the killing game in the first place it looks like)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kinda a bummer if they don't show much of what happened to the DR2 cast during the Future segment, though I understand why it's probably necessary from the perspective of making a coherent show and avoiding cast bloat. I liked Hajime a lot more than Naegi.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm going to watch. i need to know what happened to my academy friends.

I just want to see what the deal with Chiaki is!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

IceBorg posted:

All I know is that the opening is amazing and that my boy Hagakure will survive this whole thing because he's that kinda guy who doesn't do anything and never dies( hell he was outside when they were attacked so he isn't even part of the killing game in the first place it looks like)

Well they're counting him for the survivors tally in the op or are they

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"Ah yes let's bring in Makoto for questioning." "I'm gonna punch him right in the face." "We'll question you later on account of you having no teeth left."

I'm in for the long haul. I need to know how this all ends.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IceBorg posted:

I imagine he'll be part of the rescue party on the outside.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

I imagine he'll be part of the rescue party on the outside.

I wonder. A lot of time might have passed since they went to sleep, the room looks really different and almost everyone is in a different place when they wake up.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Been looking forward to this. :neckbeard: Will probably do better than the first anime since its original content.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's kinda a bummer if they don't show much of what happened to the DR2 cast during the Future segment, though I understand why it's probably necessary from the perspective of making a coherent show and avoiding cast bloat. I liked Hajime a lot more than Naegi.

Couldn't agree more, Hajime's in my top 5 of video game characters

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

IceBorg posted:

I have this feeling that at least one of the survivors from DR1 is going to die here. It would be the most despairing thing to do with them. :ohdear:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Also I really like the thing they are doing with having two animes

The fact that Chisa was the first to die despite we not knowing very much about her (we did get a bit with her relationship with Munakata but not enough) only works here because it seems like she will be a major character in the Despair side since she was the teacher of the DR2 kids and it answer my question about why would the part that takes place in the past air after the Future Side

It's only something that is possible since there's two animes so I hope they keep doing stuff like this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I really like asahina's character design

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

also the ultimate farmer owns and better survive this thing

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Kishi Seiji is a pretty mediocre director but he has Kodaka and most of the DR staff carrying him so I hope this turns out to be good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

COBRARocky posted:

Kishi Seiji is a pretty mediocre director but he has Kodaka and most of the DR staff carrying him so I hope this turns out to be good.

i hate that guy!!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

series has potential, first ep wasn't offensive. I'm glad they were able to get Yu Narukami in this, and I hope these series can get me to care about the DR extended universe after 2 soured it for me.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

IceBorg posted:

Also I really like the thing they are doing with having two animes

The fact that Chisa was the first to die despite we not knowing very much about her (we did get a bit with her relationship with Munakata but not enough) only works here because it seems like she will be a major character in the Despair side since she was the teacher of the DR2 kids and it answer my question about why would the part that takes place in the past air after the Future Side

It's only something that is possible since there's two animes so I hope they keep doing stuff like this.

It certainly at least has the potential to be interesting - we'll see if they carry through on the promise or not.

Also, you're assuming she's actually dead, rather than this being some sort of bait and switch.:v: The kind, sweet forgiving Super housekeeper who used to be the teacher of our Despair group certainly seems the A potential traitor. Not like that necessarily means she isn't dead though, a la Mukuro.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Bait and switch seems like an obvious choice so far, especially because she was killed before everyone even woke up. Or so it seems. As a traitor, her faking her death might be the push the warriors of hope need to turn on eachother.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Anatharon posted:

I just want to see what the deal with Chiaki is!

I'm really worried that it'll be revealed that she was the only one in that class not to go evil, and will be murdered while tearfully begging her classmates to remember they were good once and can be again :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man, I was real excited from the trailer, but so far the anime seems so generic it hurts. But I imagine the despair side should be more interesting. And no matter what, they got me as a captive audience. I gotta keep watching just to see what the hell my boy Komaeda gets up to. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm really worried that it'll be revealed that she was the only one in that class not to go evil, and will be murdered while tearfully begging her classmates to remember they were good once and can be again :ohdear:
Wasn't Chiaki just a program?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna watch this and see if I like it but DR2 and Ultra Despair Girls was bad so i have low expectations

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Beef who are you hoping will survive in Danganronpa 3

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Butt Ghost posted:

Wasn't Chiaki just a program?

My guess is that Chiaki in DR2 was based off of someone in real life, like Alter Ego and Chihiro. That could explain her existence.

One way or another I'm happy to see her here because she's my favorite character from DR2 but I can't help but feel like I'm gonna have to sit through her being killed a second time :(

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i hope the ghost of robot junko is the villain this time

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I found it a little hard to keep track of all the new characters, so for my reference I've matched pictures of them to the descriptions in the OP. Thought I'd post them here in case anyone else is as bewildered as me.

(There are white half-borders on some of these images on account of my incompetent cropping, but I can't be bothered to reupload them, so I fear we'll all have to live with it.)

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Kazuo Tengan: Former Hope's Peak Academy Headmaster. Laments over exterminating despair and wishes for a peaceful world.

Easy one to start with: this is the old guy.

Kyosuke Munakata: Former Ultimate Student Council President. Cold and authoritative, his goal is the complete extermination of Ultimate Despair.

Obligatory guy who looks like Togami.

Chisa Yukizome: Former Ultimate Housekeeper. Brave and hard-working, with a cheerful disposition.

So far, the only new character who isn't a dick to Naegi and therefore my favourite. (For some reason I'm hugely fond of Naegi, even though he was specifically designed to be bland.)

Ruruka Andō: Former Ultimate Confectioner. Seems friendly, but gets annoyed easily, and hates those who betray her.

I'll be honest: I don't remember this character at all. I assume she was in the episode somewhere.

Sōnosuke Izayoi: Former Ultimate Blacksmith. Skilled in weapons development, but rarely talks to anyone aside from Ruruka.

I remember this guy mainly by virtue of his great coat.

Ryōta Mitarai: Ultimate Animator. Very timid, but also very serious with a strong sense of justice.

When I first saw this guy in the trailer, I thought he was Chiaki Nanami.

Daisaku Bandai: Former Ultimate Farmer. Has a soft and cutesy voice contrasting his large build, often makes up his own phrases.

You know who this guy is.

Great Gozu: Former Ultimate Wrestler. Wears a mask over his head. Seems intimidating, but is actually calm and gentle in nature.

Him, too.

Miaya Gekkōgahara: Former Ultimate Therapist. Extremely shy and doesn't speak.

I don't remember her either, although I suppose that makes sense if she doesn't speak. (Odd that, between her and Izayoi, we have two new characters who don't really talk.) The scarf is a helpful identifying feature.

Jūzō Sakakura: Former Ultimate Boxer. Rough and prideful, very accustomed to bullying and demeaning others.

This guy was a huge arsehole to Naegi and is therefore the worst character.

Kōichi Kizakura: Former Hope's Peak Academy Talent Scout. Known to be careless, but is also reliable and has a sharp intuition.

Who is this guy?? I'm starting to think I'm looking at pictures of characters from the wrong show.

Seiko Kimura: Former Ultimate Pharmacist. Has a reserved personality, can be startled easily.

Okay, this one I definitely remember on account of her creepy mask.

I have no idea whether this list will be of use to anyone else, but there it is!

Something I just noticed while compiling this: with ten men and six women, this is the first murder game we've seen without an even gender split.

Rith fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 12, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A problem with the first ep is that almost every new character was only seen in a dark room bathed in green filter which really didn't help you get a solid look at em

Rith posted:

When I first saw this guy in the trailer, I thought he was Chiaki Nanami
This boy just looks like he wants a freaking nap, I hope he lives

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Seiko's crazy monokuma eye betrays that she is actually a Junko sleeper body.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh poo poo, I didn't know this was a direct continuation of the overarching story post-DR2. I just finished that a month ago so this is perfect timing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I also thought the animator guy was Chiaki at first, and Seiko is seriously treading on Komaeda territory.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rith posted:

I don't remember her either, although I suppose that makes sense if she doesn't speak. (Odd that, between her and Izayoi, we have two new characters who don't really talk.) The scarf is a helpful identifying feature.

They're being cagey about it but she's in some kind of future wheelchair too. It's always just out of view except for in like one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moltrey posted:

A problem with the first ep is that almost every new character was only seen in a dark room bathed in green filter which really didn't help you get a solid look at em
It doesn't help that their name/Ultimate ability was on screen for about 2 seconds per person. Good for episode flow, bad for remembering who anybody is.

• Locked thread