Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

redm posted:

all of my tech is in poor shape because i always try to fix it with balled fists of rage

try a shoe covered foot sometime

use a rubber base as you would for a tuning fork

BirryJoru fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I killed my first car, does that count? I was a dumb kid and got sold a 1985 AMC/Renault Alliant. It was the perfect abstraction of shoddy tech made into corporeal form. I hated that loving car, and was glad when I finally killed it and sold the corpse to a junkyard for $100 as scrap metal. It was a terrible loving car.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I killed my first car, does that count? I was a dumb kid and got sold a 1985 AMC/Renault Alliant. It was the perfect abstraction of shoddy tech made into corporeal form. I hated that loving car, and was glad when I finally killed it and sold the corpse to a junkyard for $100 as scrap metal. It was a terrible loving car.

totally counts

tech = technology

LurkBot
Jan 4, 2007
Something has gone horribly wrong.
I just love the color temperature with these old CFL bulbs. LED lights are just naturally flatter with no true intra-red vibrancy.

And sure LEDs don't start leaking toxic mercury vapor in the middle of the night because of ancient Chinese assembly line curses, but is that really such a high price to pay for bringing such beauty and grace into our lives? Absolutely not!

CFL for light! CFL for life!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have lots of dumb poo poo cause im always ordering dumb poo poo from china

naem
May 29, 2011

I own a MacBook Air I've never used for anything

I had a vague idea I could do some freelance work on the side at one point and just haven't

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Why yes, I DO want crushed ice even though I specifically selected "cubed." You know best, refrigerator.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bought a playstation 4 because I wanted to play bloodborne and I attempted to fool myself by saying "once i get it i'm sure i'll find other games i want to play on it" but there aren't really any so i have a 300 dollar bloodborne machine basically

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I paid five dollars for my cell phone about six years ago or so, the battery still lasts over a week and it texts so I'm keeping it. I'd like to try pokemon go, seems like it'd be fun to do with my dog, at least the folks playing it are friendly :unsmith:

CJacobs posted:

I bought a playstation 4 because I wanted to play bloodborne and I attempted to fool myself by saying "once i get it i'm sure i'll find other games i want to play on it" but there aren't really any so i have a 300 dollar bloodborne machine basically

I've got a splatoon box myself, I really ought to get some games for it, especially since the final splatfest is happening this month.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

made fire

not that hot

hot enough to cook

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have owned a Lenovo D10 workstation for years and years. It weighs a ton and sounds like a jet engine when I turn it on. The only real upgrades I have done to it is 10 TB of external hard drives, added a couple USB 3.0 cards, and set up an 8 GB RAM Drive to install my most used programs on. I justify keeping it because for what I use it for (photoshop, encoding, this forum, buying poo poo on amazon, word) it still works fine. I suppose I could get a new one.

I still have the description from when I bought it.

•Unit Dimensions:
•19.4 x 8.1 x 22.5-inches (H x W x D)

Enjoy high performance computing with this Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Dual Xeon 2.33 GHz Tower!

With two Intel Xeon E5410 2.33 GHz quad-core processors and 32 GB of DDR2 RAM, the ThinkStation D10 provides the power you need to get things done quickly and easily! Store your files on two 73 GB 15,000 RPM SAS hard drives. Connect to a network with two Intel 82563EB Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports.

Load software and access DVD and CD media with the DVD-ROM drive. The NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600 768 MB PCI Express video card features two DVI-I and S-Video ports for connecting multiple monitors. With PCI Express, PCI-X and PCI slots, there's plenty of room to expand.

Add the operating system of choice and connect the peripherals! Order your Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Dual Xeon E5410 2.33 GHz Tower System today!

Features/Specifications:
•Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Dual Xeon E5410 2.33 GHz Tower System

•General Features:
•No Operating System!
•Tower form factor
•Two (2) Xeon E5410 2.33 GHz quad-core processors
•1333 MHz bus speed, 12 MB L2 Cache, Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x), Intel 64, Idle States, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, Intel Demand Based Switching, Thermal Monitoring Technologies, Execute Disable Bit
•Intel 5400A chipset
•32 GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Fully Buffered RAM (supports up to 64 GB)
•Two (2) 73 GB 15,000 RPM SAS hard hard drives
•DVD-ROM SATA drive
•No floppy drive
•NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600 768 MB PCI Express video card
•Integrated audio
•Integrated Intel 82563EB Gigabit Ethernet LAN
•Rack mountable

•Motherboard Features:
•Two (2) PCI Express x16 slots (one occupied by video card)
•Two (2) PCI Express x4 slots (x8 mechanical) (one occupied by video card)
•Video card requires two expansion slots
•Two (2) PCI-X slots
•One (1) PCI slot
•Five (6) SATA connectors
•Five (5) SAS connectors
•Eight (8) 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets

•Rear I/O Ports:
•Two (2) PS/2 ports
•One (1) 9-pin serial port
•One (1) SPDIF optical in port
•One (1) SPDIF optical out port
•Two (2) DVI-I ports (on video card)
•One (1) S-Video TV-out port (on video card)
•Four (4) USB ports
•Six (6) Audio 3.5 mm jacks
•One (1) RJ-45 Ethernet jack

•Case Features:
•Three (3) 5.25-inch external drive bays
•One (1) 3.5-inch external drive bay
•Five (5) 3.5-inch internal drive bays
•1000-watt power supply (100 - 240V, 15A, 50/60Hz)

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

the wheel never stops rolling

guaranteed

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only need to listen to one album when I'm away from my computer anyway, and this way it kinda forces me to really listen to the music, y'know? It's like the layers of an onion.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I bought a Sony Vaio Pro 13 because I wanted a laptop that was really light and thin.

It's light and thin alright, but it feels about as solid as a sheet of tinfoil, and because it's so thin, it's undercooled, so the fan runs constantly and the CPU throttles down on any sustained load.

Now I use a 5 year old Dell Latitude I pulled out of the electronics recycling as my main laptop.

I own a Zune HD. No excuses for that, because that is loving awesome.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's "vintage."

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Same except it was a '95 Jetta. It knew I was trying to kill it and tried to kill me first by refusing to switch gears a couple of times on the way to the junkyard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

redm posted:

all of my tech is in poor shape because i always try to fix it with balled fists of rage

Is there any other way to fix something?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

suits my needs

Perfect post.

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
Bought/upgraded/built several different htpcs over the years, along with upgrades to the libraries for my media. It got the job done but the setup was never intuitive enough for friends or family to use easily. For awhile one of the HTPCs was my Surface Pro 4 with a long hdmi cable that I would hook up every time we wanted to watch something in the living room (we only get like 3 channels over the air antenna, anything else we watch is through the internet.)

Finally said gently caress it last week, bought a $35 roku stick and downloaded Plex. Easily beats the crap out of everything I've set up over the years.

Also my Surface Pro 4 is great but I rarely use the stylus anymore and probably should have just bought a much cheaper laptop. Bought it shortly after release, paid full price, etc.

My post is more along the lines of "look at all the money I've wasted on tech over the years" thanks for reading god bless

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i got a lime green game boy color for christmas 2001, and the buttons don't work but it's otherwise in good condition and i feel like it can probably be fixed

also i keep my 4+ year old broken-screened laptop because it can at least be hooked up to the tv to be usable...

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I bought a really lovely underpowered $100 HP tablet that ran webOS because "hey I can just root it and install Android". I did and it ran like poo poo and crashed all the time but I was still smarter than all those tech illiterates who spent money on an actual good tablet and just couldn't be bothered to cobble together some barely working pile of trash.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have a capt Toshiba Satellite laptop that is outdated, buggy and absolutely refuses to burn a DVD. I can't bear to part with it because it was my dad's and he died a couple years ago when, for stupid reasons, we weren't talking.

I'd probably get another laptop if I didn't use my tablet for most things, but keeping his wallpaper and goofy conspiracy theory text files feels like a link to him.

That's my justification.

I also have a ps4, but I actually enjoy it and get plenty of use out of it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i dont buy poo poo OP

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have a "land line". It's VOIP and costs $2.37 a month.

criscodisco posted:

I also have a ps4, but I actually enjoy it and get plenty of use out of it.

I like my PS4 a lot. I haven't owned a PS since PS1 and this has been a fun toy to play with.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oh and I have a dreamcast. Had to get a hdmi box thingy to even hook it to my TV. I keep it for Sega Bass Fishing.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Oh and I have a dreamcast. Had to get a hdmi box thingy to even hook it to my TV. I keep it for Sega Bass Fishing.

You can download all the games for free - all the copy protection was built into the discs themselves (some proprietary format that I think you used to use DiscJuggler to write) so it's piss-easy to just burn and play discs no mod chips or loading discs or softmods or anything required

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I had a Blackberry Z10 and a Windows phone (two of them!)

I also have this toshiba libretto that I have always intended on fixing and never did. welp

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Tubes let you hear your music like never before.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

I'm using a Lenovo IdeaPad U510. It works fine with a monitor plugged in. I don't need a portable computer now that I'm finished college. I use a USB keyboard and mouse. The fan gets very loud, but I wear headphones much of the time anyhow. The desktop computer stopped working in May, but it keeps the laptop off my desk, so it's still useful.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

paco650 posted:

BONUS PURCHASE: I bought a smartwatch for like $15 and all it does is annoy me. It sometimes tells me about an email 2-5 times, often after I've already dismissed the alert. It's supposed to have a world clock and the weather, but both features worked exactly one time before mysteriously loving off forever. It still tells the time though, and doesn't look like an embarassing tech bro device like google glass or apple watch, so I give it a solid 4.20/10

you paid money to add your pulse and blood pressure to the list of things logged in a server lol

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Everywhere I go I still carry around a Creative Zen Vision M mp3 player that I bought in 2005.
It has a bass boost and full 7-band EQ that even makes earbuds sound like pure gold.
It's only 30GB and feels like a brick in my pocket, but I've tried iPods, Zunes and every other off-brand player and they all sound like complete rear end compared to my beloved ZVM.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've got the old ipod with the wheel, they don't make them anymore. I like the wheel so I'm not gonna upgrade or I'll find another one with a wheel.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

ghlbtsk posted:

Everywhere I go I still carry around a Creative Zen Vision M mp3 player that I bought in 2005.
It has a bass boost and full 7-band EQ that even makes earbuds sound like pure gold.
It's only 30GB and feels like a brick in my pocket, but I've tried iPods, Zunes and every other off-brand player and they all sound like complete rear end compared to my beloved ZVM.

I used to have one of these, it owned

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i own a hand-me-down Discman because i just outright prefer CDs to iTunes. something about physically handling a CD is very satisfying. it probably also has twice the battery life at my iPod, which is great for travel.

The_end
May 17, 2014
I paid five hundred dollars for a machine that gives me spankings.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

what the gently caress are you clowns doing to my thread!?

now I gotta think of excuses for all of you who just buy garbage

uh

A: dropped on head as baby

2: parents were heavy drug users

D: child of divorce

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

BirryJoru posted:

uh

thread bad, so what

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
my co.puter is hp I bought it at walmart

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A steam powered dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

BirryJoru posted:

uh

2 and D, with 2 being a heavy contribution to the purchase of that Jetta.

• Locked thread