Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He's right though, that's a hosed up pick for Reigen.

But your message is true too, you have to separate the art from the artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
No, you really don't have to. There isn't some law you have to enjoy something made by bad people. 'Separate art from artist' is a terrible mantra that does nothing but enable lovely people.

If someone doesn't want to support a product made by bad people, that's just as valid a reason as any other.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I guess I better throw all my poo poo in the trash.

I'm not saying they should enable a lovely person to make a living, I'm saying they shouldn't necessarily throw an entire team of people under the bus because one guy is reprehensible.

Of course, you can always boycott it as much as you want, nobody can tell you what decision to make regarding your entertainment.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 12, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
separate your belongings from yourself

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I guess I better throw all my poo poo in the trash.

you know, maybe it could be a better world if we all just did this instead of making excuses to avoid inconveniencing ourselves

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you're okay with stuff like this in your dubs, that's fine. There's no need to poo poo on other people who are not okay with it or who feel like making some kind of protest about it, and the exaggerated 'cut off your nose to spite your face' or 'throw all my poo poo in the trash' or 'throw an entire team of people under the bus' rhetoric is just hilarious.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you know, maybe it could be a better world if we all just did this instead of making excuses to avoid inconveniencing ourselves

Cool, good luck with your new hermit lifestyle where you are morally superior to others, but you can't rely on any modern convenience.

By all means, I am not even sarcastic here. I've worked for the oil industry and the banking industry, so I am already doomed to having gotten more people killed than most people in this thread.

Don't be like me. Pick a decent life.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Aye. One thing is going "okay, I can't get anything at all that isn't produced in a morally dubious fashion, so caveman it is. An entirely different thing is "I can get two similar products, one would support known bad person, the other would not. I will not buy the one that supports this bad person, sticking with the other one."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Genocyber posted:

I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC he was one of a few e-famous dudes (SuperPsyguy was another one) who were found out to have used their fame to emotionally blackmail and groom teenage girls.

Not for nothing, but is there a source for this? I'm trying to find something to corroborate this but the only thing related that I can find is that people weren't happy with Kirbopher's decision to stay mum for a good chunk of the Psy incident despite knowing about what he was doing.

Edit: Never mind, I've found stuff to corroborate it. Not gonna link it because I don't think this is the thread for this, but this is certainly a thing.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 12, 2016

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Kirbopher is a weird hill to die on

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I didn't read any of this poo poo about the youtube guy you people posted and I don't care, but I think he doesn't make a good Reigen because he's trying a bit too hard to be wacky and that's Not Reigen, and thats the important thing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't even know who he is or what he sounds like, only what people in the thread say. If it's a deal-breaker to you that's fine. If you want a dub, well, at least one is being made.

Does anyone have any examples of how bad he'll be for the role?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Theowulv posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so in case you missed it the OST is out.

Best music track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44fDf_qRjY

Yes, finally!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yay, Mob talk!

:yikes:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mordaedil posted:

you have to separate the art from the artist.

gnome7 posted:

No, you really don't have to.

this is an important lesson for life and im glad someone beat me to saying it

Anyway, I'm reading the manga now and gently caress yall it's the tightest poo poo. it's a crime we won't get a second season of this till like 2019 holy poo poo

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Moltrey posted:

Anyway, I'm reading the manga now and gently caress yall it's the tightest poo poo. it's a crime we won't get a second season of this till like 2019 holy poo poo

I also just recently started reading the manga. Up to chapter 63 now and I am loving it. Really excited to see this stuff animated eventually.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just think Kirbopher's a bad voice actor who is super miscast in the role, I didn't even know about his creepy poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I mean, yes, that too. I didn't agree with the casting when I was commenting before, I was just being smarmy.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Trying to watch the first dub episode now. It's not terrible, but everything definitely sounds a bit off. It feels like they're doing too much post processing on the voices to try and add more "comedy" or "creepy" value depending on the situation.

--Edit because Mob showed up, dear lord the line delivery for Mob is atrocious. He sounds like a robot half the time.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 18, 2016

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Magnus Condomus posted:

--Edit because Mob showed up, dear lord the line delivery for Mob is atrocious. He sounds like a robot half the time.

Isn't that kind of what the original Japanese voice came across with as well? It'd be unusual to have Mob with a more chipper voice, tbh. I found it fitting.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

Isn't that kind of what the original Japanese voice came across with as well? It'd be unusual to have Mob with a more chipper voice, tbh. I found it fitting.

Yeah a bit, but it feels more forced somehow in the dub. Overdone a bit. It got better as the episode went on, so hopefully the VA was just getting used to things.

Having finished the full episode now, I can say I don't hate it. It just feels a bit off somehow. I do love that they still have Raigen delivering the ending "Watching it in real time? Excellent decision" stingers.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

A lesson that comes across as downright laughable when given on the ADTRW board of SA.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

LostRook posted:

A lesson that comes across as downright laughable when given on the ADTRW board of SA.

What a strong burn you've made, tempered only by it coming six days too late, although that's fitting since the argument you're making fits the ADTRW of several years ago better.

I dunno anything about the dude or if he's changed in the intervening time or whatever but if someone doesn't want to support him then that's honestly not a big deal, they can still support good series, Mob Psycho 100 through any way other than the English dub. There is so much goddamned art in the world. You literally cannot consume all media, so you absolutely can afford to be discerning on honestly whatever metric suits you as a person.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Adelheid posted:

What a strong burn you've made, tempered only by it coming six days too late, although that's fitting since the argument you're making fits the ADTRW of several years ago better.

Six days too late? It's not even a new page. poo poo, it's only even six posts later.

Whining because I wasn't breathlessly renewing pages to really commit to this important debate is the saddest and gooniest of things.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 19, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Adelheid posted:

I dunno anything about the dude or if he's changed in the intervening time or whatever but if someone doesn't want to support him then that's honestly not a big deal, they can still support good series, Mob Psycho 100 through any way other than the English dub. There is so much goddamned art in the world. You literally cannot consume all media, so you absolutely can afford to be discerning on honestly whatever metric suits you as a person.

Man, I really feel like my statement is being taken an awful lot more liberally than I had intended. Like I really don't have any kind of viewpoint on what media someone processes or how they chose to process it, I just happen to feel like I should be able to like Star Wars even if George Lucas is big rear end in a top hat.

But I guess everybody who likes anything that John Travolta has done are wrong for liking it because he's a Scientologist, but I don't think that's a particular productive path to go down. You could certainly boycott his movies, but telling people they are wrong to enjoy something because of an actor is doing a disservice to the rest of the cast.

Battlefield Earth doesn't have that excuse of course.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is this how far this thread has fallen?

Is this what Reigen would have wanted?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Man, I really feel like my statement is being taken an awful lot more liberally than I had intended. Like I really don't have any kind of viewpoint on what media someone processes or how they chose to process it, I just happen to feel like I should be able to like Star Wars even if George Lucas is big rear end in a top hat.

But I guess everybody who likes anything that John Travolta has done are wrong for liking it because he's a Scientologist, but I don't think that's a particular productive path to go down. You could certainly boycott his movies, but telling people they are wrong to enjoy something because of an actor is doing a disservice to the rest of the cast.

To be fair, there is a difference between someone who is an rear end in a top hat because they say dumb things, and someone who has serially emotionally/sexually abused multiple people including people who were underage.

Not every rear end in a top hat is the same. Everyone has got a line, and you gotta decide where you draw yours. Or not, I guess.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 19, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Personally I'm not going to say you're wrong to enjoy the dub because Kirbopher is a dumpster fire of a human being. Lots of other people worked on it, probably poured their hearts into it even, and I won't call you wrong to want to support them even in spite of Kirbopher's involvement. But the fact that it's a dealbreaker to some people is also reasonable and understandable, you know? You certainly can separate the art from the artist, but you also don't need to.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Adelheid posted:

You certainly can separate the art from the artist, but you also don't need to.

The problem being that differences between the those two groups. People who "don't need to" make an implicit value. They "don't need to" and people who do "need to" are morally wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dub Reigen maybe

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Adelheid posted:

But the fact that it's a dealbreaker to some people is also reasonable and understandable, you know? You certainly can separate the art from the artist, but you also don't need to.

I agree totally.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
So this is a thread I can be a sub only elitist after reading the last 2 pages?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's not elitist to grind dub likers into the mud, it's a Moral Imperative.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

paragon1 posted:

It's not elitist to grind dub likers into the mud, it's a Moral Imperative.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Major Ricardo posted:

So this is a thread I can be a sub only elitist after reading the last 2 pages?

You're allowed to be correct in this thread, yeh

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You're allowed to be correct in this thread, yeh

Hasn't this very thread had this conversation before?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If not this thread, any other.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Hasn't this very thread had this conversation before?

Practice makes perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this show is extremely good and i just watched the whole thing in the middle of the night on Christmas morning and now

is my wallpaper. love those strong boys

• Locked thread