Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I currently own a RRA AR-15. I'm planning to buy a WASR 10 and an AR15 lower. I've got a $2,000 budget, so around $1,000 left after those. What else should I consider picking up while I still can? A semi-auto shotty? Something in .308? 10 more lowers?

Help me in choosing an "evil assault weapon" before it's too late!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

805 Bren carbine

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

My sister moved to Texas and likes it. I doubt I'll be here forever; plenty of other stuff to not like in addition to lovely gun laws.

Something in .308 sounds fun, but not sure I want to end up spending that much on ammo. My buddy has been bugging me to do a 3 gun with him, so maybe a light weight build would be good. My Rock River feels heavy at 8.5lbs unloaded and just irons on it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I vote you track down a Benelli MR1 with the featureless comfortech stock and drop an Aimpoint Micro on top.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

If you like AKs, and you're going to be stuck with this one the rest of your life, why not buy the best AK you can afford (or at least the one with the best receiver and you can swap out other parts internally to upgrade)? That or a VZ58 instead of an AK since they're better anyway plus you can cosplay as a Canadian. I don't see too much utility in buying a bunch of AR15 lower, how many simultaneously-functional ARs do you need at once considering they'll be non-transferable within California?

After 2017 goes down and you finish registering all your stuff, next just buy an Ares SCR, those are awesome and featureless.

EDIT: Comedy option, get a Daewoo, those are awesome and can be bought under $800 and can be modded (as far as I understand) to get them into CA. That way too you'll be the only guy with one at the range.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 13, 2016

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013

A Burrito op, The Deadliest of Assault Weapons.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

There's no point buying a featureless rifle before 2017, the whole point is to buy stuff he can't buy later.

Also the MR is far inferior to, and pricier than, the SCR which accepts the majority of AR components but will still be legal after 2017 as a normal non-AW rifle.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If you like AKs, and you're going to be stuck with this one the rest of your life, why not buy the best AK you can afford (or at least the one with the best receiver and you can swap out other parts internally to upgrade)? That or a VZ58 instead of an AK since they're better anyway plus you can cosplay as a Canadian. I don't see too much utility in buying a bunch of AR15 lower, how many simultaneously-functional ARs do you need at once considering they'll be non-transferable within California?

After 2017 goes down and you finish registering all your stuff, next just buy an Ares SCR, those are awesome and featureless.

EDIT: Comedy option, get a Daewoo, those are awesome and can be bought under $800 and can be modded (as far as I understand) to get them into CA. That way too you'll be the only guy with one at the range.

I completely agree, but part of my problem is what is also available here. As of today, the WASR 10 seems to be the best AK I've been able to find. I'd love to get an Arsenal, but have no clue where I could get one. The only other options I've seen available to me are Century (and IO lol). Every online place I've seen that will do California compliant is out of stock on anything AK. One of my local shops is the only one I found that could even get a WASR (this is what they have access to https://www.wbtguns.com/collections/california-legal-semi-auto-rifles).

I was just joking about a bunch of lowers. I'm going to get one to do a light weight build for 3gun, and turn my existing one into a longer range setup.

Availability seems like it's going to screw me over the most in finding something.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Order a Daweoo from whoever online, get one of those generic "two flaps of kydex and a bolt to hold them together" and have the seller bolt the thumbhole shut before shipping to CA. Then just register that as an AW and after registration goes through you can evil it up to your heart's content. Much better option than an AK I think, still piston action really distinctive, pretty affordable, and can use your same ammo and mags as AR.

EDIT: or instead of filling the thumbhole on a postban model, I believe you can have the seller put on a mag lock and then ship it to you, and with that you could buy one that's already evil except for the maglock and then register it and unlock the mag in 2017. Seriously better option than an AK; prices are all over the board but they can be found pretty affordable if you peruse the usual sites.

If I hadn't just gotten an AR-180 I'd be looking hard at a Daewoo, and these are actually *easier* to find and get spares for than the AR180 for some reason.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 13, 2016

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

M1 carbine. $1000 will get you a nice one plus a buttload of mags. Plus, USGI mags are easy enough to find that you aren't a complete monster if you pop a rivet through one or whatever CA madness you need to do to make sure it isn't high cap.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M1 Carbine is still fine to purchase after 2017; isn't the whole point of this thread to figure out stuff that will be barred after January so he can buy it now and register it as an AW during the window?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

M1 Carbine is still fine to purchase after 2017; isn't the whole point of this thread to figure out stuff that will be barred after January so he can buy it now and register it as an AW during the window?

Not many of us live in California and don't have a drat clue about what will or won't be legal there after the new laws went into effect.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I thought they were bringing the hammer down on semi auto mag fed in general?

Edit if not change my vote to a FAL. Semi auto battle rifle is way less practical than intermed for a billion reasons but if you already have an AR and AK it brings that certain something to a range trip.

Edit: comedy option m1 carbine in s para stock as a direct gently caress you to the laws.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 13, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I was going to continue the escalation, but I'm bad at telling how far is too far, and Lowtax would probably perma me if I got him another secret service visit.

I say Vz.58. You don't need another AR when you can just build a new upper for the same gun. Maybe buy mags for anything you might want to build a new upper for.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Yes, "assault weapons" are being banned in California. That means if the rifle has any "evil features" it must have a fixed magazine. Or if it does not have a fixed magazine, it must not have any of those features.

Those include telescoping / folding stock, pistol grip (and thumb-hole stocks), forward grip, flash hider, bayonet, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

So things like a Mini14 or a stock Saiga will still be legal.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was going to continue the escalation, but I'm bad at telling how far is too far, and Lowtax would probably perma me if I got him another secret service visit.

Don't be silly, I was posting a picture of milsurp cleaning supplies.

(was going to post a picture of a saw, but it would probably have gone over some heads)

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Is there any exemption for milsurp guns that have those evil features? I think I vaguely remember something about there being a list of older guns that were exempt from the previous laws, does that list still apply?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. Given how much more of a pain it is to find an affordable m1 carbine without a bayo lug on it I think I"m falling back to my original suggestion.

edit: interestingly a G/K43 has none of those evil features, so I guess that's still OK if you want post-ban funtime with a $3k german rifle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the post-ban status of all those guns in CA? Does it just grandfather having a bullet button, or does it put htem on the AW registry so you can go hog wild with all your real-deal AR15 dreams?

Because if the latter get the M1 carbine then get a repro para stock for it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

You might wanna email Mishico about AKs. He does ship to CA.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress, I wish. It just grandfathers in bullet buttons. Can't even pass them down to your kids either. Hopefully I won't be in California at that point though.

E2M2 posted:

You might wanna email Mishico about AKs. He does ship to CA.

Who is this Mishico? The forums search and google turned up nothing. I absolutely appreciate any leads on shops or middle men that will do cali compliant mods. Most FFLs don't seem to want to gently caress with it.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 13, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dustoph posted:

gently caress, I wish. It just grandfathers in bullet buttons. Can't even pass them down to your kids either. Hopefully I won't be in California at that point though.

Who is this Mishico? The forums search and google turned up nothing. I absolutely appreciate any leads on shops or middle men that will do cali compliant mods. Most FFLs don't seem to want to gently caress with it.

check the AK thread. I'd drop an email address but I'm on phone atm.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks, spelling was different.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Would a PAP M90NP be blasphemous? California is also going to require background checks to purchase ammo starting 2019, forcing face to face purchases. Obviously I'll stock up as much as I can by then, but I can't help but wonder if 7.62x39 will become more expensive and limited compared to .223/5.56...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Dustoph posted:

Would a PAP M90NP be blasphemous? California is also going to require background checks to purchase ammo starting 2019, forcing face to face purchases. Obviously I'll stock up as much as I can by then, but I can't help but wonder if 7.62x39 will become more expensive and limited compared to .223/5.56...

Like California will be able to enforce that law across state lines.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Seriously. If ammo gets really expensive in CA, rent a mailbox over the border and order it to there. That probably wouldn't be illegal, and even if it was it would be impossible to enforce.

Are they making it illegal to bring your own ammo into the state?

E: If it is illegal, I'm not encouraging it, but you would never get caught. Do we get banned for suggesting illegal behavior? I mean, TCC exists.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 14, 2016

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Seriously. If ammo gets really expensive in CA, rent a mailbox over the border and order it to there. That probably wouldn't be illegal, and even if it was it would be impossible to enforce.

They are making it illegal to bring ammo from out of state across the border into California. All ammo must be bought face to face and a check must have been done in the system. How do they enforce this? How do they prove that you aren't merely coming back into California with the ammo you left with?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

BeAuMaN posted:

How do they prove that you aren't merely coming back into California with the ammo you left with?

Then you can petition to prove that you are innocent.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 14, 2016

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

BeAuMaN posted:

They are making it illegal to bring ammo from out of state across the border into California. All ammo must be bought face to face and a check must have been done in the system. How do they enforce this? How do they prove that you aren't merely coming back into California with the ammo you left with?

Pretty sure the importation of ammo is banned period.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

MAGIC!

It's drat near unenforceable, but don't be surprised if the CHP starts "random checks" and the bugcheck stations ask questions. California also doesn't allow cocaine to be imported, but that also somehow gets into the state.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: If it is illegal, I'm not encouraging it, but you would never get caught. Do we get banned for suggesting illegal behavior? I mean, TCC exists.

I want to build a range straddling the border, with the backstop in CA, just to troll that abortion of a state.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Cartouche posted:

I want to build a range straddling the border, with the backstop in CA, just to troll that abortion of a state.

Yes you can stand there and snark them from the legendary political paradises of NV or AZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The NV/CA border is a pretty fun place. Boat around on the Colorado then head to buffalo bills for cheap booze and gambling.

• Locked thread