Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JCDenton10
Feb 19, 2014

A bomb.

Shaocaholica posted:

Tell them how much the Atlantic price is and haggle them. Well, the way I would do it is haggle first and if they push back say Atlantic has it for $XYZ. I wouldn't haggle any gun unless I'm going to save like $80-100. Are you figuring in shipping and the CA compliance charge from Atlantic?

You should ask in the AK thread if you're not sure you want the Zastava.
Well, I picked up a featureless stamped ras47 from Parallax for babby's first AK. The price was comparable enough to what it would be to order one with shipping and compliance fees (and no mag) that the convenience seemed worth just getting it local.

My Handgun Safety Cert expired earlier this year so had to take the test again. They threw in laminating the card and they also threw in a 9mm lower for the cost of a 9mm lower.

JCDenton10 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

ZenMastaT posted:

I bought a SCAR in .223 since the .308 ones are a lot more money and I couldn't think of a compelling reason to get the .308

I think that and an AR receiver are gonna be it tho

Also I need to find a new rifle range now that Chabot shut down

Wow, where were you able to find a SCAR? I've been looking everywhere and All I could find were grossly overpriced guns via private parties on Calguns.

Also, I bought an HK clone. I think I'm done now.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Dogbrisket posted:

Wow, where were you able to find a SCAR? I've been looking everywhere and All I could find were grossly overpriced guns via private parties on Calguns.

Also, I bought an HK clone. I think I'm done now.

As you say, overpaid for it on Calguns. I'm sure I could have saved like a grand if I'd bought it a year or two ago but I never wanted one until I couldn't have one! I'm lining up a deal for a V93 myself so I can have one HK clone to stand the test of time and maybe planning to build an AK too even though I hate them. Thanks california!!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

I've been to Richmond like twice. Seems hella small with like 10 rifle benches?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Why are scars so hard to get into CA?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

SCARs are expensive and hard to get everywhere right now I think. A guy at a gunstore (lol) told me FN is busy fulfilling military contracts right now so SCARs aren't going to be imported for the civilian market until next year. Last time I checked gunbroker they were selling for like $4kish nationally. Another reason I don't feel soooo bad overpaying for one - I'm hopeful that if I become filled with regrets, I won't lose too much selling it out of state.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yeah, i think the last time i saw SCARs actually in stock at a distributer was back in January. They've not brought any more in and people are panic buying.

I've been sending guns to CA as fast as I can get them and get time to slap on a bullet button. Its sad and stupid really. I like dealing with CA customers. They are almost always polite and easy to work with.

I have 1 dealer that just bought 3 C39v2s, 3 WASRs, and a Galil Ace all in a single order heh.

Regarding Vector V93s, just so you know, many made have the original 15.4" barrel so the flash hider is perminantly attached for a legal OAL. Might not matter but just saying in case.
Vector does now have 16" RCM barrels and can build a V93 w/ a removable muzzle device upon request.

But both of the rifles i had come in from them last week had the original barrel with pinned on flash hider.
I know some CA guys are thinking to go 'featureless' next year and that would be difficult with the FH on there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I'd rather have a featureless gun that's originally designed as featureless like an M1A or that new Keltec bullpup that doesn't have a pistol grip. Featureless conversions seem kind of goofy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FYI the CA compliant version of the 'just released' M10x Zhukov version is still available directly from M+M for all your gimmick gun needs although I think it's quite practical at its price point.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anywhere selling decently priced CA-compliant Scorpions?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I saw this. If was going to go 80%, then why not go billet right?
https://www.groundzeroprecision.com/collections/featured/products/billet-aluminum-80-ar-15-lower-receiver?variant=32162365898

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

That looks kind of meh for a billet lower. Price is right though but what's another $30-40 in the big picture anyway?

Hopefully I'll have my ghost gunner 2.0 before Dec and I'll be selling it before the end of the year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anywhere selling decently priced CA-compliant Scorpions?

Check wilde built tactical and riflegear but IMO the scorpion is best as a pistol in CA. You got immediate family outside CA you can have them buy it and gift it to you as a pistol.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Check wilde built tactical and riflegear but IMO the scorpion is best as a pistol in CA. You got immediate family outside CA you can have them buy it and gift it to you as a pistol.

Eh true. My dad has a suppressed one in Ohio and I'm just jelly.

Can I not get the pistol version in CA flavor? Or is that also considered a mass-murder child killer? I assume since it has "features," then the barrel has to be 16"?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 7, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Shaocaholica posted:

That looks kind of meh for a billet lower. Price is right though but what's another $30-40 in the big picture anyway?

Hopefully I'll have my ghost gunner 2.0 before Dec and I'll be selling it before the end of the year.

What does that other $30-$40 get you?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Eh true. My dad has a suppressed one in Ohio and I'm just jelly.

Can I not get the pistol version in CA flavor? Or is that also considered a mass-murder child killer? I assume since it has "features," then the barrel has to be 16"?

You can't buy the pistol in CA because it's not on the roster of safe handguns and never will be. The only way to get it is to have a family member gift it. Seeing as you have a gun enthusiast father in a free state, you'd be stupid not to take advantage of it before the new year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

B4Ctom1 posted:

What does that other $30-$40 get you?

Other cooler looking billet 80 lowers.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Soupisgood posted:

So when bullet button rifles become evil scary assault weapons, they no longer need the bullet button, right?

That is the general thought. Makes a ton of sense, eh?

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Wait... what? Seriously?
While that would appear to be what the plain language of the law allows (since there is no distinction between different classes of registered assault weapon), the Cali Bureau of Firearms can always say that their interpretation of the law is that a gun has to be kept in its registered configuration or you're "re-manufacturing" an assault weapon, and count on the 9th Circuit to agree with them. I wouldn't think that's likely, though.

Also, spoilers: They're either going to start banning AWs entirely at the county level like they did with hi cap mags, or just remove grandfathering for RAWs entirely and demand that they be turned in, again like they did with hi caps, at some point during Newsom's term. Hence the recent ciminalization of failing to report lost or stolen guns (aka making "boating accidents" illegal.)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 7, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

You can't buy the pistol in CA because it's not on the roster of safe handguns and never will be. The only way to get it is to have a family member gift it. Seeing as you have a gun enthusiast father in a free state, you'd be stupid not to take advantage of it before the new year.

Wait... so gun is illegal to buy in California. But someone in another state can just gift me one? That's legal as far as California is concerned?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wait... so gun is illegal to buy in California. But someone in another state can just gift me one? That's legal as far as California is concerned?

It's call 'intrafamilial transfer' and it can only be your blood parents, grandparents or children, etc. Not your uncle bob who married into the family. It's an exemption to the rules so grand pappy can pass down his fancy WWII 1911 to his CA grandkids but is worded generally enough that any pistol from any direct blood relative is allowed.

The scorpion and other popular new pistols are not allowed to be sold through an FFL in CA. You can however private party transfer them face to face. So hypothetically if you did get that scorpion evo from your dad and you for whatever reason needed to sell it, you could sell it privately face to face and it would be totally legal. People on calguns are already doing this for profit and while doing it in large numbers for profit would get you in trouble I don't think anyone in the gun community gives a poo poo since it's getting sought after guns into CA 'legally'.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

I thought they closed that method of import (intrafamily transfers) a couple years ago. AFAIK the only way to obtain an off-roster handgun is to be LEO, or buy one private party, or own it when you move into CA (and register it within, 30 days, iirc).

But I could be wrong. Keeping up on CA stupidity is a full time job.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

It's call 'intrafamilial transfer' and it can only be your blood parents, grandparents or children, etc. Not your uncle bob who married into the family. It's an exemption to the rules so grand pappy can pass down his fancy WWII 1911 to his CA grandkids but is worded generally enough that any pistol from any direct blood relative is allowed.

The scorpion and other popular new pistols are not allowed to be sold through an FFL in CA. You can however private party transfer them face to face. So hypothetically if you did get that scorpion evo from your dad and you for whatever reason needed to sell it, you could sell it privately face to face and it would be totally legal. People on calguns are already doing this for profit and while doing it in large numbers for profit would get you in trouble I don't think anyone in the gun community gives a poo poo since it's getting sought after guns into CA 'legally'.

What do you mean privately face to face?

I'm visiting for the holidays. He can just say "here son, enjoy your new Scorpion"? He doesn't have to ship it to my FFL in CA?

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I thought they closed that method of import (intrafamily transfers) a couple years ago. AFAIK the only way to obtain an off-roster handgun is to be LEO, or buy one private party, or own it when you move into CA (and register it within, 30 days, iirc).

But I could be wrong. Keeping up on CA stupidity is a full time job.

they closed the single shot exemption, intrafamilial is still OK

if you do this be prepared for more than the usual transfer fuckery, i had to call like 8 places before i found somewhere willing to deal with it. (highlights: place A telling me it was absolutely illegal, do not pass go proceed directly to jail, then place B immediately after telling me i didn't need to bother with a FFL at all and grandad should just mail them to my door, lol)

from what i could tell the transfer software just had a box where they (the dealer) explained what exemption was being used to transfer a lowly citizen an off-roster gun, and i only needed a letter from my grandpa stating his relation and what he was gifting - not much more hassle than a normal transfer.

I'm visiting for the holidays. He can just say "here son, enjoy your new Scorpion"? He doesn't have to ship it to my FFL in CA?

if you take possession of it legally and it's legal to possess in CA you should be fine, i think. the only snag that i can think of is that you need to register it here and the form for registering imported handguns specifically refers to new residents of california.

wrong actually, fed law states you have to transfer though an FFL in recipients state of residence. i think he could visit you and then you two do a PPT, i think you might be able to dodge the 10 day waiting period there as well but i'm not sure. take your xmas gift home and shut up about it FTP

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 7, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What do you mean privately face to face?

When/If your awesome dad sends you a Scropion pistol, he would need to send it through an FFL to your local FFL with a letter saying its a intrafamilial transfer. You would go and pick it up, get back ground checked and wait 10 days.

Now lets say its been a while and you want/need to sell your Scorpion pistol to someone in CA. You can't just ship the pistol through your local CA FFL to their CA FFL. You would have to meet the buyer face to face at some FFL and complete the transaction. The buyer would get the usual background check and 10 day wait. That's what I meant by face to face. It only applies to special off-roster pistols like the Scorpion. If you look on calguns for sale forums, you'll see a lot of threads for off-roster sales and they all have the disclaimer of 'will not ship, face to face only'.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

So it's exactly the same only you literally see their face with your face? What the hell is that supposed to accomplish, legally?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rubber Slug posted:

So it's exactly the same only you literally see their face with your face? What the hell is that supposed to accomplish, legally?

It's supposed to make it more difficult to legally transfer those guns to someone else. There's literally no reason other than "gently caress those evil gunhavers."

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I honestly don't know what the actual legal text is in regard to face to face off roster transfers is. I just know it's a 'thing' on calguns and my local FFLs also abide by it.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

I know this doesn't exactly pertain to purchasing firearms, but I figure this is the right place for it.

I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zff_G_F18_8 to try and get more insight into some of the other Props on the ballot this year and noticed something interesting infuriating.

Starting at 29:00 in that video, two Newsom stooges bungle their way through their justification of Prop 63 and mention that there is a provision SB 1235 that, if Prop 63 were to pass, then some provisions in SB 1235 are superseded by Prop 63, namely that you will be subjected to a background check every time you purchase ammunition.

Has anyone else heard that?

Edit: Nevermind, I have it opposite. If Prop 63 passes AND SB1235 passes, then the provision in SB 1235 is the new law. Either way, those two retards can barely form a coherent sentence.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Just for what it's worth, the ammo background check part of the safe act in NY was suspended, because it's one thing to pass a law, but another thing to enforce it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/nyregion/plan-to-require-background-checks-for-ammunition-sales-is-suspended-in-new-york.html

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

McDeth posted:

I know this doesn't exactly pertain to purchasing firearms, but I figure this is the right place for it.

I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zff_G_F18_8 to try and get more insight into some of the other Props on the ballot this year and noticed something interesting infuriating.

Starting at 29:00 in that video, two Newsom stooges bungle their way through their justification of Prop 63 and mention that there is a provision SB 1235 that, if Prop 63 were to pass, then some provisions in SB 1235 are superseded by Prop 63, namely that you will be subjected to a background check every time you purchase ammunition.

Has anyone else heard that?

Edit: Nevermind, I have it opposite. If Prop 63 passes AND SB1235 passes, then the provision in SB 1235 is the new law. Either way, those two retards can barely form a coherent sentence.

Props go into the state constitution so I think that superceeds any SB(Senate Bills) and the only way to override a prop is with another passed prop.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

foozwak posted:

Just for what it's worth, the ammo background check part of the safe act in NY was suspended, because it's one thing to pass a law, but another thing to enforce it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/nyregion/plan-to-require-background-checks-for-ammunition-sales-is-suspended-in-new-york.html

It's just a face saving gesture if anything. The memo has no real legal weight so they can always spring it back on us. A big chunk of it is because things like AW database and this ammo background check were passed without any attached funding. They kicked the can on the cost issue down the road to budget filing time.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

loving California

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Herr Tog posted:

loving California

Good lord, does everything come in a clamshell to hang on a wall now? My B5 Sopmod and Raptor just came in bags.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

loving California

I haven't been keeping up. Do you actually have a gun to put this stuff on now?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogbrisket posted:

:bigtran:

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Dogbrisket posted:

He found this picture on Google

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

right arm posted:

He found this picture on Google

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

loving California

Is that a FREEDOM BONE????

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Is that a FREEDOM BONE????

Eh give me a week or two and we shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Herr Tog posted:

loving California

That's all you got? Let me show you my bucket.

• Locked thread