Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

loving California

Nice REI employee gift water bottle you have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Just put my panic buy in gun jail. The shop at the local outdoor range was pushing Springfield SAINTs and I like my springer 1911 well enough so I went for it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rontalvos posted:

Nice REI employee gift water bottle you have there.

oh how scandalous

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

By looking far out into the 209 we are also looking far back into time, back toward the horizon of the universe, back toward the epoch of the Stockton Slap.

So if I have an AR that will qualify as an AW in 2017 and we don't have to register until 2018, what is the regulation on taking that unregistered technically an AW to a range in 2017?

In addition, where is that DOJ AW approved range list they reference?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Google Butt posted:

So if I have an AR that will qualify as an AW in 2017 and we don't have to register until 2018, what is the regulation on taking that unregistered technically an AW to a range in 2017?

I wasn't aware you have to take reg'd guns to specific ranges. Pretty sure no one is going to hassle you at the range for having the same type of gun people are taking to the range now en masse.

"Show me your papers!"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

By looking far out into the 209 we are also looking far back into time, back toward the horizon of the universe, back toward the epoch of the Stockton Slap.

Shaocaholica posted:

I wasn't aware you have to take reg'd guns to specific ranges. Pretty sure no one is going to hassle you at the range for having the same type of gun people are taking to the range now en masse.

"Show me your papers!"

I figured, but the doj site referenced it and I can't find it anywhere. Huh.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Knowing CA DOJ it probably doesn't exist.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

So my girlfriend's dad ordered a lower from Aero, but I'm now worried that between them taking a while to ship it, the shipping time, and gun jail, he might not be able to take possession of it before the clock strikes midnight and the gun turns evil. How long do you have to register an AW after December 1st? Is there somewhere I can read about it in plain English?

Actually I guess the more pressing thing is that it can't be transferred after it turns evil, is that right?

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rubber Slug posted:

Actually I guess the more pressing thing is that it can't be transferred after it turns evil, is that right?

I'd be interested to learn if the lower counts as an assault weapon. I'd think it would still be transferable but you'd have to build a flipper-baby featureless rifle or wait until you can get a BB2.0

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

I'd be interested to learn if the lower counts as an assault weapon. I'd think it would still be transferable but you'd have to build a flipper-baby featureless rifle or wait until you can get a BB2.0

AFAIK you have de-register the serialized part or sell it out of state. You're fine to sell the non serialized parts to whoever you want.

Strange situation if you sell out of state and then buy it back. It would still be registered to your name in CA. I wonder if an FFL could even process that.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

So my girlfriend's dad ordered a lower from Aero, but I'm now worried that between them taking a while to ship it, the shipping time, and gun jail, he might not be able to take possession of it before the clock strikes midnight and the gun turns evil. How long do you have to register an AW after December 1st? Is there somewhere I can read about it in plain English?

The drop dead date for taking possession is January 1st, meaning DROS must be started by Dec 20th. Also yes, registered AW's cannot be transferred in CA.

No, if it's been registered with the DOJ as an AW, it's now non-transferrable unless and until it's deregistered. Prior to deregistering it would need to be rendered a non-AW.

Shaocaholica posted:

AFAIK you have de-register the serialized part or sell it out of state.

Exactly. There are cases of people having done this with non-listed AW's after the 2000 ban.

Also this could all go up in smoke if the DOJ decides to interpret the law in a nonsensical manner so who the gently caress knows.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

For those poor souls who have waited until the last minute, Rainier is trying to help you out:

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

I emailed Aero and they said they're prioritizing CA orders to be delivered before or on the 20th.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rubber Slug posted:

I emailed Aero and they said they're prioritizing CA orders to be delivered before or on the 20th.

That's nice. Honestly, the big gun stores should have been doing that before now.

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dogbrisket posted:

No, if it's been registered with the DOJ as an AW, it's now non-transferrable unless and until it's deregistered. Prior to deregistering it would need to be rendered a non-AW.

Right, but a lower wouldn't have to be registered as an AW, right? If Rubber Slug's girlfriend's dad can't take possession of it in time he can always make it featureless or make it have a fixed magazine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Right, but a lower wouldn't have to be registered as an AW, right? If Rubber Slug's girlfriend's dad can't take possession of it in time he can always make it featureless or make it have a fixed magazine.

Most guns don't have to be registered if you can rebuild it to be featureless or a 22LR.

1)Register as AW provided you meet the prerequisites
2)Build into 2017+ non-AW compliant:
--2a)BBv2
--2b)Featureless
--2c)22LR conversion
3)Sell out of state
4)Bury in the ground/will not comply

Pick one.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 2, 2016

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

This is the only AR-10 lower I was able to find in stock, thanks to a beautiful angel sending me the link.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-308-Complete-Lowers.aspx

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Most guns don't have to be registered if you can rebuild it to be featureless or a 22LR.

1)Register as AW provided you meet the prerequisites
2)Build into 2017+ non-AW compliant:
--2a)BBv2
--2b)Featureless
--2c)22LR conversion
3)Sell out of state
4)Bury in the ground/will not comply

Pick one.

Be VERY careful with the 22lr conversion thing. I've seen some "interesting" interpretations of this, ie "gonna potentially get thrown into pound me in the rear end prison" interpretations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Rontalvos posted:

This is the only AR-10 lower I was able to find in stock, thanks to a beautiful angel sending me the link.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-308-Complete-Lowers.aspx

Be surprised if those are actually in stock

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

The stripped lowers are usually in stock, and they include the bullet button and a mag.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I think this is an AK. Mag blocked, stock pinned, etc.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

E2M2 posted:

They are, I also received a heavenly visitation and it's sitting at my FFL now.

They were weird about it though, I ordered the normal stripped lower since I have bullet buttons and lower parts and they called and said they had to put a bullet button on a stripped lower to send it to california...

Whatever, I didn't argue. Then they shipped quickly.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Nope, he's right. They're out of everything, both stripped and built. I called them and he said I MIGHT be able to get one if they get they get replenished in time. Call back on the 16th.

Dogbrisket posted:

Be VERY careful with the 22lr conversion thing. I've seen some "interesting" interpretations of this, ie "gonna potentially get thrown into pound me in the rear end prison" interpretations.

Could you expand on this? In theory a 22lr conversion would be completely fine. Are you thinking a CMMG conversion kit is more suspect than say, a dedicated upper? "Readily convertible" to centerfire with a kit?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 2, 2016

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Rontalvos posted:

Nope, he's right. They're out of everything, both stripped and built. I called them and he said I MIGHT be able to get one if they get they get replenished in time. Call back on the 16th.

welp.

Glad I started buying guns in July.

I'm going to have the makings of a huge box thread when this is all over.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rontalvos posted:

Could you expand on this? In theory a 22lr conversion would be completely fine. Are you thinking a CMMG conversion kit is more suspect than say, a dedicated upper? "Readily convertible" to centerfire with a kit?

You can convert a 5.56x45 AR15 to 22LR with just parts swapping and you get to remove the BBv1 because that doesn't apply to 22LR/Rimfire. Thus, the converse is also true. A 22LR converted AR15 can be changed back (without tools) to 5.56x45 and if you do the steps out of order you can temporarily create an AW.

I mean, it's really just in the same category as the 'crooked LEO' bogeyman who removes/disables your BBv1 or sticks a mag lock on it only this requires even more work on their part.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean, it's really just in the same category as the 'crooked LEO' bogeyman who removes/disables your BBv1 or sticks a mag lock on it only this requires even more work on their part.

If you wanna be the test case, be my guest. If I'm doing a rimfire AR in California, you can bet it's with a dedicated 22lr upper and not a conversion kit. You may be right that legally you're in the clear, but that won't stop one rear end in a top hat/idiot cop from ruining your day. Also the monetary cost to you I imagine would far outweigh any other consideration but hey we all pay our money and take our chances.

I personally think 22lr ARs are dumb though, whether it's a conversion kit, and upper or one of these complete M&P 22lr guns.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dogbrisket posted:

If you wanna be the test case, be my guest. If I'm doing a rimfire AR in California, you can bet it's with a dedicated 22lr upper and not a conversion kit. You may be right that legally you're in the clear, but that won't stop one rear end in a top hat/idiot cop from ruining your day. Also the monetary cost to you I imagine would far outweigh any other consideration but hey we all pay our money and take our chances.

I personally think 22lr ARs are dumb though, whether it's a conversion kit, and upper or one of these complete M&P 22lr guns.

All I'm saying is that it's even easier for a bad LEO to defeat a BBv1 so if you're already cruisin' around with BBv1 guns then you're not really adding any more risk realistically.

E: I agree it's sketchy but we've all been so complacent with BBv1. Remember when BBv1 first come around it was pretty sketchy too.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

My local shops have already stopped accepting any new orders and only selling what they have left in stock.

Wish I had more money, but I picked up a couple lowers and an Arsenal SAM7R which I'm pretty happy with.

Now on to stocking up ammo. Worst thing is this may have all been for naught as I'm looking into moving out of California anyways due to being priced out of the housing market.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Could you theoretically transfer a non-AW lower, then make it into an AW and register it in January?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rubber Slug posted:

Could you theoretically transfer a non-AW lower, then make it into an AW and register it in January?

You'd have to transfer before 12/20/2016 so the new owner can take possession before 1/1/2017.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gonna sell my idle lower for $500 on Dec 19.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

You'd have to transfer before 12/20/2016 so the new owner can take possession before 1/1/2017.

Oh right, I guess I didn't realize you had to be in possession of whatever gun you're registering prior to Jan 1, no matter what configuration it's in.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Gonna sell my idle lower for $500 on Dec 19.

we are our worst enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

LOL I know people sweating not being able to flip poo poo they bought that was slightly overpriced to begin with.

• Locked thread