Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dragon enthusiast posted:

glavenus sucks put in raizex instead

You shut your dirty mouth. Flaming Butt T-Rex rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

glavenus sucks put in raizex instead

Raizex is lucky gammoth exists because otherwise it would be the biggest chump in Generations.

Glavenus, Valfalk and Atlal are among the strongest designs they ever made though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Astalos rules :colbert:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Astalos rules :colbert:

I'll admit he and his equipment looks really good but why is he so weak? He's basically a downgraded zinogre fight. Gammoth is even more mind-blowing as he can't do poo poo to you if you're not directly in front of him.

Even his deviant is weaker than the rest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tigrex, Nargacuga, Zinogre, Gore Magala, and Glavenus were all amazing and wonderful flagships.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

moush posted:

Have they said what the Beta is going to be like in 10 days? I assume it will be like the ones on 3ds where you get to hunt a few different monsters.

It's the same as the trade show demo. Three hunts: One against Great Jagras in the forest, one against Anjanath in the forest, and one against Barroth in the desert. Additionally, there will be Rathalos, Jyuratodas, and Diablos available to fight, as a result of them being wandering monsters on those two maps. No character creation, one basic version of each weapon, three armor sets to choose from or mix and match, same armor set options for palico. A small selection of mantles and items to take with you, plus whatever you can combine in the environment. 20-minute hunt timers. Both solo and online multiplayer options.

One thing I'm not clear on is the basic structure. The trade show demo has no hub, and you are freehunting between hunts and can accept hunts on the other map to swap maps, which I believe you actually won't be able to do in the full game. However, they said that there would be access to the training room in the beta, and that isn't available AFAIK in the trade show build, so its possible that the hub will actually be available in the beta, but progression stuff like the blacksmith will almost certainly be disabled anyway. If the hub town is available, I'd also expect that to mean freehunt isn't an option either, but that's just a feeling, not solid info.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
will there be rock Wyverns in world because i want that old-rear end gravios armor

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
If Gravios is in the game, I may need to reconsider buying it. gently caress him.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Guns gently caress him up and he'll be even easier with the new gun controls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No more separate gunner armor :discourse:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Digirat posted:

No more separate gunner armor :discourse:

:yeah:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

In a perfect world we'd have Basarios but no Gravios. Get that sweet hunting horn and those goofy fake rocks without the annoying bounce n' beam laser show fight.

E: Also ptooey at all these people praising removal of gunner armor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gameplay-wise, the removal of gunner armor is fantastic; making entirely new sets like that was always a huge pain. Stylistically, I'm going to miss gunner gear, some of it looked great.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well they can't reuse the PS2-era models anymore so it's understandable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

But that Kirin gunner armor... :smithicide:

Edit: Meaning, we no longer have it. :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BMan posted:

Well they can't reuse the PS2-era models anymore so it's understandable.

Yeah if the amount of work needed to do this means that there's only half as many armor models but they're all actually brand new and not made out of recycled 13-goddamn-year-old assets, I will gladly take it

And if those armor models were part of a mechanic which is also going away that heavily discouraged variety and trying new things, that's even better

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So they've off the two new behemoths for the big december update of Dauntless.

Kharabak here seems to have a stacking speed buff you have to reset before he goes full blender on you. Also mentions of "ricochets" so I'm guessing those spines get launched at some point. Apparently has some sort of crazy enrage.

Skarn appears to be a big earthbending puppy lizard. Expect to break rock armor and dodge chunks of angry earth.

Also looks like they're adding gems of a sort.

https://playdauntless.com/news/sharpen-your-skills-cells

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't really see how gunner armor discouraged variety. Removing half of the armor in the game doesn't really increase variety... plus, since anyone could wear any helmet, that's a marked decrease in options for any given player.

It isn't a huge deal, and I see why people prefer it this way, but the variety argument is a very strange one to make.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't really see how gunner armor discouraged variety. Removing half of the armor in the game doesn't really increase variety... plus, since anyone could wear any helmet, that's a marked decrease in options for any given player.

It isn't a huge deal, and I see why people prefer it this way, but the variety argument is a very strange one to make.

playstyle variety, not visual variety

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Now that you can change weapons midhunt, they wanted players to be able to freely change between melee and gunner weapons without having to worry about different armors for the two. So it makes perfect sense in that regard.

Like has been previously stated though, I will miss the different designs for gunner armor. :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

playstyle variety, not visual variety

Those armors still have unique skill combinations, though... I understand what the argument IS (that you're discouraged from trying out gunner weapons as a blademaster or vice versa because you'd have to build a new set of armor), but the game IS killing monsters and grinding parts, so the complaint that you'd have to do that is one that falls flat for me. If you're just trying to see if it's for you or not, you can use arena quests.

The removal of gunner armor means less visual variety, but it ALSO means half as many helmet options for everyone and, potentially, less variety for either class due to some armor sets being gunner focused and some being blademaster focused... we'll have to see if that's the case or not since the skill system has changed, though.

It's a great change for ease of use purposes, but it lowers variety, rather than increasing it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
why does every dauntless monster look like they shoved one or two real animals, some rocks, and a bunch of glowsticks into a juicer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you are heavily discouraged from trying a different thing if just getting to use it takes three times as much effort as continuing to use the same weapon

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's not like they made all of the gunner armor and then removed it; they're making all of this from scratch, so not needing to make two armor sets for every monster means they have more resources to make more of everything. If the choice is between 20 blademaster sets + 20 gunner sets, or 30 universal sets, then the latter offers more variety (both functional and visual) unless you're a rare player who uses both ranged and melee weapons equally.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, there should still be plenty of customisation depth and what was "you can wear gunner helmets!" should be more than made up for in both the change to the skill system/charms and variety of armor. Also, what were gunner skills before are now tied to gun customisation itself.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm half expecting separate gunner visuals for MHW G or whatever comes next.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I mourn the loss of cool gunner armor, but I celebrate not having to make a different set of armor to use ranged weapons.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I wonder if they may eventually add the gunner versions as visual variations of those armour sets. I’d be happy to see that as part of a DLC pack.

Speaking of, have they talked about DLC for a World yet? I know that they said no loot boxes (thank god) but I gotta admit that I don’t care for the millions of new versions of the game that comes out for each generation for what could be an expansion pack on the game that I already own.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

why does every dauntless monster look like they shoved one or two real animals, some rocks, and a bunch of glowsticks into a juicer

:ssh:

Don't expose their design secrets!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

i am tim! posted:

I wonder if they may eventually add the gunner versions as visual variations of those armour sets. I’d be happy to see that as part of a DLC pack.

Speaking of, have they talked about DLC for a World yet? I know that they said no loot boxes (thank god) but I gotta admit that I don’t care for the millions of new versions of the game that comes out for each generation for what could be an expansion pack on the game that I already own.

Do you mean the exactly one new version of the game that comes out each generation and is completely predictable? Because if that's the case, you may as well just wait for World G/Ultimate because we all know it's going to come out.

They've touched on it a tiny bit, in a famitsu interview they said something along the lines of being excited to work on a platform where additions and tweaks can be made without having to release an entirely new game. However, since the 3DS was 100% capable of DLC and patches, the answer didn't make a lot of sense, and they didn't commit to any actual new content as DLC. What we do know is that they plan to add a theater mode to watch previously-viewed cutscenes in a post-launch update, and that they are going back to the old console version-styled rotating event quests rather than the handheld-styled keep-it-forever event quests. Anything else is speculation, although I don't think its unreasonable to guess they might release G rank as an expansion, history suggests they are just as likely to put out another game for it anyway.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Do you mean the exactly one new version of the game that comes out each generation and is completely predictable? Because if that's the case, you may as well just wait for World G/Ultimate because we all know it's going to come out.

The whole point of World is trying to win over the western market. Selling the same full price game twice seems counterproductive, I doubt that would fly on Steam.

I mean I can think of Dark Souls 2's enhanced edition, which did the same, but that offered an upgrade discount to players who already own the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they'll release new content via dlc like a sane company and call the standard goty edition disc that comes with all the dlc included by default 'monster hunter world g' in japan and 'monster hunter world ultimate' in the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Brother Entropy posted:

they'll release new content via dlc like a sane company and call the standard goty edition disc that comes with all the dlc included by default 'monster hunter world g' in japan and 'monster hunter world ultimate' in the west

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842457

New thread :getin:

• Locked thread