Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«194 »
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Monster Hunter world is going to be awesome, and I hope capcom doesn't kill it with unrealistic sales expectations, but I still don't wanna play monster Hunter on a non portable!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zelder posted:

Monster Hunter world is going to be awesome, and I hope capcom doesn't kill it with unrealistic sales expectations, but I still don't wanna play monster Hunter on a non portable!!

They haven't had much hitting luck meeting their expectations. This past year, Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, Monster Hunter Stories, and Dead Rising 4 all underperformed. Several of the sales targets were quite modest so it was doubly embarrassing for them to fall short of them.

Monster Hunter World probably has a lot riding on it since they're targeting a global audience and positioning the game as service. Given Capcom's recent record, I'm not sure they can pull off a blockbuster. Their games just haven't been competitive.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Brinty posted:

The way the game is focused is really off putting to me, the increased mobility and focus on environmental and inter-enemy combat stuff is just not for me.

I come to monster hunter for the deliberate combat and stuff so while the game looks fine for what it is, it also looks like it moves stuff away from that stuff as much as X and XX did with it's super moves and stuff.

The "Dynamic" stuff is cool the first time or two it happens but like I don't want to use that sorta stuff at all because it'd get boring after the 3rd or 4th time.

Maybe MH isn't for me anymore, I dunno.

There's literally been one real gameplay video and its focus was on the terrain and ecology. It is not time to panic about this yet.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sunning posted:

They haven't had much hitting luck meeting their expectations. This past year, Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, Monster Hunter Stories, and Dead Rising 4 all underperformed. Several of the sales targets were quite modest so it was doubly embarrassing for them to fall short of them.

Monster Hunter World probably has a lot riding on it since they're targeting a global audience and positioning the game as service. Given Capcom's recent record, I'm not sure they can pull off a blockbuster. Their games just haven't been competitive.

It's going to be very distressing when capcom fails to hit their crazy estimate and shutters monster Hunter entirely

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Odd they are highlighting new features in their hype videos.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

I recall their estimate for MHW--assuming it's the kind of title they meant--was 2 million abroad, which is modest in that it's close to what MHX did in Japan and what something like Horizon Zero Dawn did abroad. If it fails to meet that I really would call it a failure. If they didn't mean MHW during that meeting and they want it to hit 4 million or something that's another story though.

I mean, we'll definitely get more MHW engine titles regardless--most of the cost of something like that is going to be the first game so just to recoup they're guaranteed to make more unless it really and truly bombs somehow against all odds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

I still don't wanna play monster Hunter on a non portable!!

I don't want to do it either.

I'm still going to.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'm still going to.

Same, but also, hopefully different

*tearfully looks out the window at XX, praying for it's localisation*

s.i.r.e.
Apr 22, 2008

Down the Rabbit Hole.

Andrast posted:

I'm still going to.

Get a laptop, problem solved.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sunning posted:

Don't forget Street Fighter V's massive flop. I really don't want MHW to end up like SFV.

Come to think of it, Capcom may just not have the money to localize both MHXX and MHW. It's not the first time they've been super short on cash.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 03:57

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neo_Crimson posted:

Don't forget Street Fighter V's massive flop. I really don't want MHW to end up like SFV.

When you release a game in the state they released SFV in, it deserves to flop. I cant believe I wasted money on that piece of poo poo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yesss this is the only thing I want

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm 22 years old and my opinions about Donkey Kong are sincere and unironic

AttackBacon posted:

All-in-all I think it's a really cool direction, in that it brings much more emphasis to the "Hunting" part of the "Hunting Action" genre, which I feel has really lacked before. The new tools they are adding also .

I think this is pretty key... The "hunting" part of the game seems to be mainly rooted in things that players universally dislike (running from zone to zone looking for the monster, gathering) and without those it's more like Monster Boss Rush. Adding some fun environment stuff that complements the fight rather than distracting from it seems like a good way to go.

s.i.r.e.
Apr 22, 2008

Down the Rabbit Hole.

Golden Goat posted:

Yesss this is the only thing I want

Why does this look so bad? He kinda just... floats away after a strange delay.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The game isn't done and that was a gameplay demo presentation is probably why. I doubt that's a finished build of that area or the game mechanics.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

s.i.r.e. posted:

The delay seems to be from stunlock on the first downward hit and then the roundhouse swing is what sends the guy flying towards the camera.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010

This pleases me greatly!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Camera angle is a big part of the weird floaty effect, the Gunner is moving straight towards the camera so you don't see the arc of her trajectory at all. Watch it on the Gunner cam (kinda hard cause they do a screen swap at that second), looks normal. Ends in the classic MH faceplant too.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle
Aug 13, 2012

Dario is searching for me.
I am afraid of Dario
I am afraid of Dario
I am afraid of Dario

Buglord

part of the movement/animation changes makes me think it's going to control like lost planet, which would be
very
bad

but I hope that isn't true

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Brinty posted:

The way the game is focused is really off putting to me, the increased mobility and focus on environmental and inter-enemy combat stuff is just not for me.

I come to monster hunter for the deliberate combat and stuff so while the game looks fine for what it is, it also looks like it moves stuff away from that stuff as much as X and XX did with it's super moves and stuff.

The "Dynamic" stuff is cool the first time or two it happens but like I don't want to use that sorta stuff at all because it'd get boring after the 3rd or 4th time.

Maybe MH isn't for me anymore, I dunno.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on the one gameplay demo we've seen. If I'm looking at the numbers right it looks like outright fighting a monster is going to be faster than trying to lure a monster all over the drat place, and while some features of the combat are... less deliberate, the fact player attacks aren't quite as fast, while monsters seem generally more responsive means you're in for MORE deliberate combat, at least with respect to hitting the monster and getting away with it unscathed.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would definitely concede that I believe your concern is warranted. I just don't think you should really take it to the point where you say it isn't for you anymore. For example, potion use. It's a huge change to allow near item use with near impunity. I feel you on this. BUT, what I'm looking at with the item wheel,we MIGHT have dramatically reduced inventories, so instead of potion use just being "free" (comparatively) they may rather moderate 'abuse' of restoratives by simply not allowing you to bring literally 4000HP worth of healing items along for the ride. In this case, all of those environment hazards, lures, and the like become tools players who otherwise have difficulty protecting their healthbar to make some progress, while the rest can simply fight it out.

Anyway, it is definitely taking a different lean, and change is scary. I can absolutely see a situation where the relative speed of monster attacks vs hunter attacks could pose a situation where it becomes impractical to hunt monsters WITHOUT using all of the available hazards, even for your Cantapermes out there. That would suck. I just don't think it will be such a hard requirement. First blush, I'm sure I will feel that way, but then I'll learn monster movesets, start working in more combos, and eventually I'll probably get frustrated by that pub who literally lures monsters around to every single hazard, because it'll basically double the hunt time, for however "safe" it might be.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

s.i.r.e. posted:

He had to return to his home planet.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kiggles posted:

For example, potion use. It's a huge change to allow near item use with near impunity. I feel you on this. BUT, what I'm looking at with the item wheel,we MIGHT have dramatically reduced inventories, so instead of potion use just being "free" (comparatively) they may rather moderate 'abuse' of restoratives by simply not allowing you to bring literally 4000HP worth of healing items along for the ride. In this case, all of those environment hazards, lures, and the like become tools players who otherwise have difficulty protecting their healthbar to make some progress, while the rest can simply fight it out.

The reason they changed it is that they're removing loading screens between areas, so you can't just do the usual "switch areas, heal, sharpen, go back" that you did in the old games.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Kiggles posted:

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on the one gameplay demo we've seen. If I'm looking at the numbers right it looks like outright fighting a monster is going to be faster than trying to lure a monster all over the drat place, and while some features of the combat are... less deliberate, the fact player attacks aren't quite as fast, while monsters seem generally more responsive means you're in for MORE deliberate combat, at least with respect to hitting the monster and getting away with it unscathed.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would definitely concede that I believe your concern is warranted. I just don't think you should really take it to the point where you say it isn't for you anymore. For example, potion use. It's a huge change to allow near item use with near impunity. I feel you on this. BUT, what I'm looking at with the item wheel,we MIGHT have dramatically reduced inventories, so instead of potion use just being "free" (comparatively) they may rather moderate 'abuse' of restoratives by simply not allowing you to bring literally 4000HP worth of healing items along for the ride. In this case, all of those environment hazards, lures, and the like become tools players who otherwise have difficulty protecting their healthbar to make some progress, while the rest can simply fight it out.

Anyway, it is definitely taking a different lean, and change is scary. I can absolutely see a situation where the relative speed of monster attacks vs hunter attacks could pose a situation where it becomes impractical to hunt monsters WITHOUT using all of the available hazards, even for your Cantapermes out there. That would suck. I just don't think it will be such a hard requirement. First blush, I'm sure I will feel that way, but then I'll learn monster movesets, start working in more combos, and eventually I'll probably get frustrated by that pub who literally lures monsters around to every single hazard, because it'll basically double the hunt time, for however "safe" it might be.

Yeah I agree. I think the weapons they used in the demos were probably the starter weapons, so that the dinosaur guy didn't immediately keel over and they could show off more combat. I'm sure with proper gear attacking the monster will outdamage just luring the monsters around to various traps or other monsters.

This reminds me of pubs that set a trap and stand by it and constantly ping the map until the rest of the team went over to him. It slows the hunt down and is annoying. And no one is going to be luring anything up to that Rathalos in multiplayer unless all four players are on the same page. But it will own when that Rathalos swoops in out of nowhere to bitch slap whatever you're fighting and then chaos ensues.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Actually if someone sets a trap down take time out of your busy schedule to walk over there and lure the monster to it so everyone can get cool free hits and the monster dies way sooner what is wrong with you

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Actually if someone sets a trap down take time out of your busy schedule to walk over there and lure the monster to it so everyone can get cool free hits and the monster dies way sooner what is wrong with you

Oh yeah, I forgot mention that the traps they set would be on the other side of the room. I remember one time someone tried this against a Black Gravios and he just said nope and spammed lasers at us from a distance.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

That gif looks a lot better if you imagine mario party noises to go along with it. Waaawaaawaaawaaaawoah.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Elman posted:

The reason they changed it is that they're removing loading screens between areas, so you can't just do the usual "switch areas, heal, sharpen, go back" that you did in the old games.

Of, for sure, and there may be lot of other reasons they opted for speedy item consumption given otherwise radical changes to the world. I'm just pointing out possibilities to illustrate why I think jumping to conclusions would be a bad idea ATM. So far, it looks like monster hunter, smells like monster hunter, and tastes like monster hunter. It just actually comes with a side of fantasy hunting this time.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

This reminds me of pubs that set a trap and stand by it and constantly ping the map until the rest of the team went over to him. It slows the hunt down and is annoying. And no one is going to be luring anything up to that Rathalos in multiplayer unless all four players are on the same page. But it will own when that Rathalos swoops in out of nowhere to bitch slap whatever you're fighting and then chaos ensues.
Nah, it's completely different. People that burn their own traps in hunts are rad, because it takes like 10 seconds (usually) to get the monster over there. Compare that to the marathon the live demonstration presented to get Anjanath up to Rathalos. For sure, 1200 damage is big, but even whacking away at 30-80 on well placed hits would add up to be comparable.

You clarified with people who place traps BADLY, and yeah, it's sort of like that, but still probably not nearly so tedious as what is likely to happen in end game MH World. That one dude with lure mantles could seriously drag out hunts, to say nothing of two dudes doing the same, trying to go in opposite directions. I think it'll be fun enough to watch if you go in expecting these shennanigans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE7IRO-EhPk

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

I hope MHWorld is good. Thank you.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I hope MHWorld is good. Thank you.

Hi I'm here to tell you that you're wrong in your hope. Hope this helps. You're welcome!

I hope it's good toooooooooooo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I hope it's good

on Switch

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I think this is the same footage as the japanese video above, just with all the early stuff cut out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFIFfhq-wc

Makes me much happier about it. Does look like it's mostly a case of lovely marketers like with doom and prey!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, they were definitely trying really hard not to kill the monster before showing off everything they wanted. It's why the GS user only did charges on the Rathalos and swapped to an LS when they went to hunt the new monster again. No excuses for all of the missed attacks after that though--they were just bad.

I can only imagine that the devs know about the troll potential for stuff like the mantles and would balance accordingly. I mean, the threat generated by a hunter slashing away should be higher than that of a troll trying to lure it away with an outfit. In XX they made it so you could destroy traps but had the foresight to know that you should only be able to destroy your own, as an example of them "getting it" in the past. Stuff like the para frogs might be a bother but functionally no worse than a troll hunter spending the entire quest staggering you.

My biggest concern multiplayer wise is how pointless drop-in, drop-out seems at the moment. No quest rewards for drop-in players save for minimal resources like potions/meat, only real monster bits gained are from carves. So, uh, does that means that there aren't any capture quests? Or as a drop-in player should I just want to murder every monster and ruin every host's capture quest so I can get my carves and peace out? Should I even want to be a drop-in player ever? By joining an actual quest from the beginning I'd get more out of my time.

s.i.r.e.
Apr 22, 2008

Down the Rabbit Hole.

AttackBacon posted:

Camera angle is a big part of the weird floaty effect, the Gunner is moving straight towards the camera so you don't see the arc of her trajectory at all. Watch it on the Gunner cam (kinda hard cause they do a screen swap at that second), looks normal. Ends in the classic MH faceplant too.

I'm glad it was just a strange angle because it looked so off, especially for a game like MH were animations are amazing.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Decus posted:

My biggest concern multiplayer wise is how pointless drop-in, drop-out seems at the moment. No quest rewards for drop-in players save for minimal resources like potions/meat, only real monster bits gained are from carves. So, uh, does that means that there aren't any capture quests? Or as a drop-in player should I just want to murder every monster and ruin every host's capture quest so I can get my carves and peace out? Should I even want to be a drop-in player ever? By joining an actual quest from the beginning I'd get more out of my time.
Or, you know, you can jump into active quests that began without a full room after you joined the lobby.

Joining on a flare is equivalent joining a lobby in progress, except instead of twiddling your thumbs (for no reward) you actually get to play) for minor rewards.

What is more likely to be a troll will be people who nearly kill a monster, fire off a flare, wait for other hunters to connect, then kill it before they can even get carves, wasting other people's times in loading screens.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 01:23

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Kiggles posted:

Or, you know, you can jump into active quests that began without a full room after you joined the lobby.

Joining on a flare is equivalent joining a lobby in progress, except instead of twiddling your thumbs (for no reward) you actually get to play) for minor rewards.

What is more likely to be a troll will be people who nearly kill a monster, fire off a flare, wait for other hunters to connect, then kill it before they can even get kills, wasting other people's times in loading screens.

Yeah, from a lobby it's a good feature for sure but in any other situation it's still bad.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

I think the idea is that flares will simply function more like "lobby is open". In practice, you're probably not going to be bothered one way or the other. You're just going to jump in, finish the active hunt, then -as a group- start up the next hunt.

e:now that I think of it, I'm a bit biased in that I sell like 90% of quest rewards, and haven't really cared about the money for a while. So maybe I'm not really representative of what most people will think about flares, or how they treat them.

In fact, given a little more thought, I can see them being a big source of trolling. Join on flare -> deliberately cart 3x -> quest failure. Not like you were going to get more than carves.

I will say this - not rewarding drop-ins with quest rewards seems arbitrary. I certainly wouldn't be bothered about it the other way around. Like... how could it be exploited? Start quest solo - flare up - complete quest with 3 hunters who didn't pay the quest fee? Unless for example friends can get priority, it isn't like this could deliberately be exploited. It would just be 3 random people getting a shot at parts without paying a nominal quest fee.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 01:35

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

If you have a spreadsheet of optimal clear times and expect everyone to follow it, or complain that styles suck because some are more DPS oriented while others are more utilitarian, I'd really rather not play with you. You're probably the guy who kicks people for having defensive skills on their gear instead of all damage ones, or for playing as a cat or hunting horner.

You are not fun to be around. Don't be that guy. This is a game about carving monsters into hats and giving them to your cats. In fact, let's just shorten it to "This is a game.". Don't treat it like a job.

MHW looks like it will be rad. I also want Monster Hunter Stories, but there's no US release date yet.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 05:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Don't tell people they have a broken brain about gameplay opinions, holy poo poo.

«194 »