Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thinking about Stories, has anyone done any write ups for it? I'm just curious if there is a good number of monsters to use and how hard is it to play with your favorites if it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm also interested in that because I crave MH content at the moment. God Eater didn't satisfy me at all. Felt wrong.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The Monster Hunter clone wasn't Monster Hunter enough, so you want to try a turn based JRPG? :confused:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BMan posted:

The Monster Hunter clone wasn't Monster Hunter enough, so you want to try a turn based JRPG? :confused:

I haven't played a monster hunter clone that's actually a clone. They're clearly trying to be similar but they're all different in various ways, some more than others. Depending on where your preferences lie, the rest of the hunting genre of games outside your particular one can be awful because they get things wrong in just the right way. Monster Hunter Stories isn't a Monster Hunter hunting game, but it's drawing on series staples.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Argas posted:

I haven't played a monster hunter clone that's actually a clone. They're clearly trying to be similar but they're all different in various ways, some more than others. Depending on where your preferences lie, the rest of the hunting genre of games outside your particular one can be awful because they get things wrong in just the right way. Monster Hunter Stories isn't a Monster Hunter hunting game, but it's drawing on series staples.

this is why nano diver is the only good monster hunter clone and im sad that it never caught on because it had a really cool dynamic difficulty system that added a lot of tension to hunts

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragon enthusiast posted:

this is why nano diver is the only good monster hunter clone and im sad that it never caught on because it had a really cool dynamic difficulty system that added a lot of tension to hunts
I'd never even heard of it before you mentioned it just now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jumping back in finally, downloaded a load of content. I'm excited to actually do things again! Is there a goon spreadsheet for friends, didn't see it in the op.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

White Fatalis got some G Rank music for Frontier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1RoRSD-Pvw

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

BipolarAurora posted:

White Fatalis got some G Rank music for Frontier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1RoRSD-Pvw

Say what you will about Frontier, but its music has been pretty top-tier. I think I still like White Fatalis's original music more just for being unique, but this is awesome.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One of my favorite memories of MH is playing locally with friends at work and while I hope MHW does well since Capcom likes to go nuclear on series that don't preform well after they do a large change to them (I still miss you Lost Planet) I still want portable MH to play with friends

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

Say what you will about Frontier, but its music has been pretty top-tier. I think I still like White Fatalis's original music more just for being unique, but this is awesome.
Hell yeah, once you get past newbie hell and hiden hell. It becomes like one of the most addicting MonHun you could ever play imo.

Like just today, me and a fellow guild member took down some Erus. He hits like a truck even with all ZX/ZP armor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So since I started playing Portable 3rd again, I decided to look into online play and it turns out it's easier than ever.

Check it out http://www.hunstermonter.net/

Since my current character has basically no ranks, I decided to dust off my old main character.

Aww yeah, looking fresh to death. Also I love the kind of Nation of Islam look I have going with DJ Boomkat.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Direct feed English walkthrough of the MHW Gameplay Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfK-YqLUbU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

empathe posted:

This made me feel much better about World. Looks like they added a bunch of features but the core is still intact. Now super hyped for 2018.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I like the controls list in the top right updating mid-combo to show what you can continue it with. Good for people learning weapons.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
stuff I noticed

Pachycephalosaurus! Or at least the MH world version. Love those guys.

CARVE THE TAIL

I can't take the Anjanath Palico armor...

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
From glancing at the equipment selection screen armor skills might be different. At 16:21 it showed "Attack Boost level 1" and it looked like the max would be level 7. I'm going to guess that now every piece of gear just gives a skill effect only the values are much smaller. To be effective you'd likely still need to finagle gear around to reach level 7 but people who don't understand the system might be level 2 in a bunch of places or something and not be entirely skill-less.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

empathe posted:

For such a huge map, it feels insanely cramped a lot of the time. I can't imagine fighting anything but the monster featured in the video there, it feels like it'd be a huge pain in the rear end.

I know it's just the first map of the game and the verticality is probably there so much so you can play around with the grappling hook, much like the first map of 4U had ledges loving everywhere, but still. That kind of theme is where I'd expect to fight Najarala for example, but he'd practically fill half the areas they were fighting in.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

For such a huge map, it feels insanely cramped a lot of the time. I can't imagine fighting anything but the monster featured in the video there, it feels like it'd be a huge pain in the rear end.

I know it's just the first map of the game and the verticality is probably there so much so you can play around with the grappling hook, much like the first map of 4U had ledges loving everywhere, but still. That kind of theme is where I'd expect to fight Najarala for example, but he'd practically fill half the areas they were fighting in.

That's nothing new though, monsters have always had areas that they wouldn't go to because they were too big to fight there. Like one of the problems I have with the snowy mountain is that that most monster can't use 70% of the map.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm a big dumb idiot and hadn't been keeping up with anything. I had no idea world was on the bone, and now I'm turgid with the idea of finally getting my fix on it!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

7c Nickel posted:

That's nothing new though, monsters have always had areas that they wouldn't go to because they were too big to fight there. Like one of the problems I have with the snowy mountain is that that most monster can't use 70% of the map.

Well, yeah. We obviously don't have the whole picture yet and the video is made to show off things like kiting the monster around to more advantageous fighting locations (which seems to be a fairly big part of the game), but what I meant is that while the hunter was kiting it around the monster was getting into more than a few surprisingly compact areas.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

empathe posted:

that HBG machine gun mode and Wyvern Ammo :vince:

The Angina armor looks pretty slick too. gently caress, it's Monster Hunter! on PC! With beautiful HD graphics! :allears:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
a bunch of dauntless alpha invites went out today and the alpha test lasts two days.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
So MHW is almost certainly going to be released for pc some indeterminate time after consoles, correct?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

So MHW is almost certainly going to be released for pc some indeterminate time after consoles, correct?

Yes, PC version is coming "at a later date."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's definitely coming and it seemed like the version they were most excited about, since it's a new experience for them on the development side.

I don't see it coming out too long after the console release since otherwise they've not presented something to investors in good faith--they had it listed as a PC, PS4, Xbone title releasing before March 31st and if the PC release were truly going to be more than a month or two later they would've clarified at the time. Stuff can happen to delay it I guess, but at least from the planning phase they're not planning to take a long while--more than a couple months--on it.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I am jumping in and getting one of the new 2DS XL units next week when they come out. I've never played a monster hunter game before, but my brother and I are both getting Generations and trying some co-op.

Outside of that, are people still playing Generations over 4U?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lord Wexia posted:

I am jumping in and getting one of the new 2DS XL units next week when they come out. I've never played a monster hunter game before, but my brother and I are both getting Generations and trying some co-op.

I'd recommend you guys pick up 4U. The single player and overall presentation is much better, and Hunter Arts and Styles are a crutch that's going to be kicked out from under you once MHW comes out.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I would say there is a larger population on Generations simply because it is newer. 4U has more content in the form of G rank, though you can and will certainly get 200+ hours out of both titles.

Styles and Arts are a neat addition in Generations and although they may not return in MHW there's no reason to change your game choice because of their presence (or absence).

Ultimately, pick what looks fun. Likely you can find groups in either game and there's no sense in worrying about the meta (or whatever you'd like to call beating a hunt 30 seconds faster). I definitely disagree that Styles and Arts are a crutch but the community is pretty split over them.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Styles appear to have been melded into the base weapon moveset in mhw. So it's not exactly going away per say.

But yeah both gen and 4u are really really good, so enjoy!

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
4U still has a decent number of people playing. Been playing that instead of Gen latley, and I can usually find a G3 room or two, and I know there's a ton of stuff at different ranking levels from accidentally searching without the G3 filter.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lord Wexia posted:

Generations lets you play as a cat. Generations >>>> 4U.

Also Aerial Style is a ton of fun. More rodeo? YES. I personally couldn't go back to 4U.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

All that matters is SA.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Monster Hunter World is going to release in the US before stories has a date, isn't it? :(

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Monster Hunter World is going to release in the US before stories has a date, isn't it? :(

Europe release for Stories is in September, I don't think the US release would slip far enough back to be next year.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the one and only person on the entire planet who's excited for MH Stories! We finally found him!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cicadas! posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the one and only person on the entire planet who's excited for MH Stories! We finally found him!

I'm excited for stories :(

It looks fun.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Shhh shut up we're all mad about Switch XX not getting announced, remember? You're not allowed to say you're excited for Stories yet.

(I'm also excited to ride my favorite monsters into battle)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wrist Watch posted:

Shhh shut up we're all mad about Switch XX not getting announced, remember? You're not allowed to say you're excited for Stories yet.

(I'm also excited to ride my favorite monsters into battle)

Oh, yeah, I'm still mad about that thing!!!

(I am, I'm just mostly resigned at this point. And waiting to see if they hosed up IG in MHW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
They're supposed to be showing MHW at Comic Con at some point today right?

It's probably just gonna be the same demo but maybe they'll show some new weapons.

I wanna see Charge Blade return to it's 4U glory days! :black101:

• Locked thread