Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Terrific Accident posted:

Having played the beta, I wouldn't hold my breath for Dauntless being any good. The combat is janky even by monster hunter standards and they tried way too hard to make the weapons distinct from their MH counterparts. The hammer has a poorly explained gun mechanic that doesn't jive with the playstyle and the sword is extremely simple except for a pointless power up mechanic where you gain charges and then release them for a temporary boost. This would be fine if the weapons themselves were satisfying or had any oomph to them, but the animations themselves lack any weight and it feels like you're whacking monsters with wiffle bats. In the current build monsters also stand around for periods of time literally not doing anything while you beat them to death. It's unsatisfying to play on just about every front and I can't see future builds really turning this around, having seen what their philosophy on weapon design is. It's even more pointless now that we're only two months away from World.

I gotta ask, how far you did you get? Because it sounds like you're describing the training wheel monsters you start off on. The latter behemoths could actually stand to have more opportunities to whale on em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

This is the problem I have with every MH knockoff. Theres no weight behind it. The first World trailer with the greatsword golf swing just game me the tingles. Thats MH. I cant wait.

Another thing I noticed by playing other hunting games is that usually you can achieve a build that lets you be very sloppy without affecting your DPS too much, just going ham on the monster without any regard for dodging. Usually that's because either the damage you take is too low or the recovery time from being hit is too low and the healing is too fast. In MH sloppy playing severely affects your DPS, not to mention your chances of clearing a quest.

In Toukiden I had a lifesteal build that just let me use the dual knives spin attack forever while healing myself from almost dead to full HP in half a second or so, making get hit almost a nonissue. Soul sacrifice had the rock armor that let you simply shrug off damage and removed all stagger. Let's not even mention God Eater and all its stupid overpowered stuff. It usually makes every fight the same since you don't really have to learn patterns or strategies anymore. That's what kills the longevity of these games for me.

Is Dauntless like that?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

I gotta ask, how far you did you get? Because it sounds like you're describing the training wheel monsters you start off on. The latter behemoths could actually stand to have more opportunities to whale on em.

We got up to Quillshot on the first island before getting bored. I could see the later monsters being more aggressive.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nerdz posted:

Another thing I noticed by playing other hunting games is that usually you can achieve a build that lets you be very sloppy without affecting your DPS too much, just going ham on the monster without any regard for dodging. Usually that's because either the damage you take is too low or the recovery time from being hit is too low and the healing is too fast. In MH sloppy playing severely affects your DPS, not to mention your chances of clearing a quest.

In Toukiden I had a lifesteal build that just let me use the dual knives spin attack forever while healing myself from almost dead to full HP in half a second or so, making get hit almost a nonissue. Soul sacrifice had the rock armor that let you simply shrug off damage and removed all stagger. Let's not even mention God Eater and all its stupid overpowered stuff. It usually makes every fight the same since you don't really have to learn patterns or strategies anymore. That's what kills the longevity of these games for me.

Is Dauntless like that?

Once you get past the early monsters, no.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Welp, just remembered I've been neglecting my credit card rewards building up for like half a year now and I have enough points to cover most of a ps4 pro. Are there any other games worth getting on a ps4 besides MHW that aren't also on PC?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Umbreon posted:

Welp, just remembered I've been neglecting my credit card rewards building up for like half a year now and I have enough points to cover most of a ps4 pro. Are there any other games worth getting on a ps4 besides MHW that aren't also on PC?

Persona 5, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0/Kiwami, and Until Dawn if you're into horror.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Persona 5, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0/Kiwami, and Until Dawn if you're into horror.

I've been wanting to try the Persona series out, sounds like this would be a good time to start

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Horizon Zero Dawn is also a definite must-buy for exclusives.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The last of us

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Umbreon posted:

ff12: zodiac age

its so gd good

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ff12: zodiac age

its so gd good

I want this but I know I'll never put in the time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just found out monster hunter world isn't getting the same release date on PC as consoles

fuuck

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

eonwe posted:

I just found out monster hunter world isn't getting the same release date on PC as consoles

fuuck

I'm gonna get it for PS4 right away and then I'm gonna get it again for my laptop when it comes out an eternity later. I'm still mad it's not on the Switch so it can just be portable and have local multiplayer immediately, but fine, I'll buy your stupid great game twice. I'm mad I don't get to play with my husband immediately, but he might be angrier that I won't be able to carry him through every hunt in the game until the PC version, cause we sure aren't getting a second tv and PS4 for this.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

eonwe posted:

fuuck

This ain't our first rodeo, friend.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flowers posted:

I'm gonna get it for PS4 right away and then I'm gonna get it again for my laptop when it comes out an eternity later. I'm still mad it's not on the Switch so it can just be portable and have local multiplayer immediately, but fine, I'll buy your stupid great game twice. I'm mad I don't get to play with my husband immediately, but he might be angrier that I won't be able to carry him through every hunt in the game until the PC version, cause we sure aren't getting a second tv and PS4 for this.

i don't own a ps4 so im fuked!!!!!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This ain't our first rodeo, friend.

ya :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

i don't own a ps4 so im fuked!!!!!

ya :(

From the Japanese interviews they don't sound confident in their porting abilities. Best guess late 2018 early 2019. Inc. Ps4 purchase lol

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Dauntless founder packs are 50% off for the next day if anyone is interested.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Dauntless founder packs are 50% off for the next day if anyone is interested.

Is it worth it?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Elman posted:

Is it worth it?

Ehh... I think so, but it's gonna move to open beta in a few moths and be free to play thereafter. Do it if you really want to try it early and want to support more hunting action games in general.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I’d say no, but I’ve only played 3-4 hours of the alpha. I think the combat is really poorly done and the game itself is laid out poorly in terms of upgrades and loot. I think you would be better off just replaying a different MH game and just waiting for world. It’d take a pretty huge change for me to say Dauntless is moving in the right direction.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddammit, I'll definitely buy mhw on bone and pc. Like I'm not going to have my fix on multiple systems

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Elman posted:

Is it worth it?

Short answer no. Long answer probably not.

Definitely don't spend 40 bux or whatever "50% off" is right now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Haquer posted:

Short answer no. Long answer probably not.

Definitely don't spend 40 bux or whatever "50% off" is right now.

40 is the regular price, so 20. I really don't know why everyone is so down on Dauntless. It's still got some hangups, but it's still in beta. I suppose that's the thing, I like seeing games grow from beta but a lot of people should probably wait for launch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

40 is the regular price, so 20. I really don't know why everyone is so down on Dauntless. It's still got some hangups, but it's still in beta. I suppose that's the thing, I like seeing games grow from beta but a lot of people should probably wait for launch.

It's real ugly, dude. And as dumb as Capcom is sometimes it's hard for other people to make a game as fun as Monster Hunter.

Also I know that killing a monster is basically the same as opening a loot box, but it feels way better to rip chunks out of the monster myself with a 10 year old carving animation that it does to open a literal loot box I pulled out of a monster.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Anyone with experience with the Bow in most recent games? I stopped playing on early PSP so I'm not sure how viable it is now. The videos shown for MH:W don't really show it at higher level play, just some small hunts.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kortel posted:

Anyone with experience with the Bow in most recent games? I stopped playing on early PSP so I'm not sure how viable it is now. The videos shown for MH:W don't really show it at higher level play, just some small hunts.

Bow has been ridiculously good since 3U. Whether by having a single extra overpowered example (Kelbi Bow in 3U, Seregios Bow in 4U, Teostra Bow in Gen), or the weapon class in general getting new tricks (Power Shot in 4U, Adept style in Gen).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I've played enough knock-off hunting action titles to see every iteration of mechanics, and those are rough enough, it's impossible to recommend Dauntless because it's a literal actual beta instead of just a half-baked genre title.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Kortel posted:

Bow will probably be OP in world on PC. Mouse controls are constantly better than controllers.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I tried using those sickles in dauntless. they suck rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Bow will probably be OP in world on PC. Mouse controls are constantly better than controllers.

I admire your optimism regarding World PC having usable KB+M controls

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

That was definitely not the case for MHO.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am expecting the PC version to perform playably as an MT framework game, while having mouse and keyboard support so unplayable that it basically won't exist as an option

I would never want to play this kind of game with a mouse and keyboard anyway

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Be cool to support local network/ad-hoc multilayer on pc

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nechronic posted:

It's real ugly, dude. And as dumb as Capcom is sometimes it's hard for other people to make a game as fun as Monster Hunter.

Dauntless has it's own issues, both technical and design, but even a non-alpha hunting action game is always going to be secondary. We like monhun, they want to differentiate their game from monhun, and then all we talk about is how not-monhun it is. If some hypothetical company did what World is doing (MH minus the bullshit) then they'd get bashed for being a clone. There really isn't a winning scenario.

Digirat posted:

I would never want to play this kind of game with a mouse and keyboard anyway

Frontier, aside from the fact that it was gen2 controls in a language I couldn't read, performed just fine. Remapping will be mandatory and that's one of the areas where PC ports mess up, but it's not like sticks are required for the game to function.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I hope I'm not a huge rear end in a top hat for asking this, but what does World actually change? So far all I've heard is that they plan to remove loading screens between zones and make bows and guns work more like a third person shooter.

Frankly the first bit would be enough to get me to try the series again, when I do try to play a MH game I just get annoyed by staring at a loading screen every 20 seconds while looking for poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flytrap posted:

So I hope I'm not a huge rear end in a top hat for asking this, but what does World actually change? So far all I've heard is that they plan to remove loading screens between zones and make bows and guns work more like a third person shooter.

Frankly the first bit would be enough to get me to try the series again, when I do try to play a MH game I just get annoyed by staring at a loading screen every 20 seconds while looking for poo poo.

Off the top of my head
-You can move while using items and your character doesn't flex anymore afterwards
-You only get one cat which you create at the beginning of the game
-fishing doesn't suck anymore
-You can call in help mid mission like the Souls series
-You can change weapons mid mission
-up to three monsters can appear now also they got unique animations when fighting each other
-You don't have to go back after the mission ends, you can stick around to gather or kill other monsters
-Insect Glaive has a real cool airdash now and it's the first weapon I'm gonna use when I get World

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
IGN posted this a few days ago:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/22/monster-hunter-world-47-changes-only-fans-will-notice
47 Changes Only Fans Will Notice

Goes into a bit more detail about things established fans will be interested in.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Boco_T posted:

IGN posted this a few days ago:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/22/monster-hunter-world-47-changes-only-fans-will-notice
47 Changes Only Fans Will Notice

Goes into a bit more detail about things established fans will be interested in.

I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the pre-release hype videos, but abolishing the Blademaster/Gunner schism might be the greatest change ever? It was always such a hassle when trying to explore new weapon types with that silly arbitrary armor requirement.

I'm only at #5 and there's already so many game changers.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh, drat, that's actually a lot. Never expected such a major overhaul from such a long series.

Thanks! I think I'll actually have to get into this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the pre-release hype videos, but abolishing the Blademaster/Gunner schism might be the greatest change ever? It was always such a hassle when trying to explore new weapon types with that silly arbitrary armor requirement.

I'm only at #5 and there's already so many game changers.

:yeah:

And it makes a lot of sense since you can change equipment at base camp mid quest now. They want people to be able to easily change weapons and equipment.

I'll miss how blademaster and gunner armor look different, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

• Locked thread