Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

Gaijinhunter actually has a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

That is extremely my poo poo, and a great name too. Gonna get that day 1 and start smashing faces. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mortimer posted:

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

Man that's horrific. Since some people here apparently can't math, these gunlance times are 58% and 42% longer than the lance times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

voltcatfish posted:

Is the longsword still its 4u-nerfed self?
Nah, the spirit bar now goes to yellow instead of empty when you lose red. So you just have to do one combo to go back to red. Also doing the full combo in red doesn't pause the meter anymore but rather just refills the meter.

It has sick hunter arts too and there are different ways to level the spirit meter depending on which style you pick.

It's got all the same moves though. I don't see why anyone would complain about the weapon other than just not liking the play style in general.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have a link handy that explains what styles grant/lose for each weapon? I know Gainjinhunter's videos talk about it but he doesn't have any up for the guns, particularly HBG.

Also god damnit I still can't decide between SnS, Hammer, HBG, and catmode to start.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

BMan posted:

Man that's horrific. Since some people here apparently can't math, these gunlance times are 58% and 42% longer than the lance times.

I don't think you understand monster hunter.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a link handy that explains what styles grant/lose for each weapon? I know Gainjinhunter's videos talk about it but he doesn't have any up for the guns, particularly HBG.

Also god damnit I still can't decide between SnS, Hammer, HBG, and catmode to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3LkRguLuHA

This dude goes over it for each weapon in their respective videos.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

keyboard vomit posted:

I don't think you understand monster hunter.

we get it dude, you want to make stuff go boom wowee zowee :c00l:

some people are curious what weapons are mechanically better, just turn your brain off for those posts, thanks

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Ahh charm hunting

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Monster Hunter Generations" on this list
https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

e: apparently powersaves don't work for MHX/G....because it saves to the SD card and you can pop it into your computer and edit that directly :stonk: oh boy

I bought it for star knight armor months before it came here

Not quite, you still have to use some sort of save manager using homebrew.
Not like getting that up and running is super hard or anything, but it's probably enough to make people not want to bother with that.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Mortimer posted:

some people are curious what weapons are mechanically better, just turn your brain off for those posts, thanks

Being extremely stylish is a core mechanic of monster hunter and the you fail to account for it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Not quite, you still have to use some sort of save manager using homebrew.
Not like getting that up and running is super hard or anything, but it's probably enough to make people not want to bother with that.

That's good! But also bad because I don't want to farm fish or charms, RIP

keyboard vomit posted:

Being extremely stylish is a core mechanic of monster hunter and the you fail to account for it.

you can be stylish and efficient at the same time

look at early 20th century germans

What I'm going to miss most about no powersaves is I can't hack a legit charm that would allow me to fashion hunter but still be a god :(

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
smh, people are already blatantly cheating online. Joined a charm farming group and one guy instantly turned in 89 coal. he was speedhacking and asked one of us for a farcaster (which he reused infinitely).

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

MohShuvuu posted:

smh, people are already blatantly cheating online. Joined a charm farming group and one guy instantly turned in 89 coal. he was speedhacking and asked one of us for a farcaster (which he reused infinitely).

Play with goons and avoid cheaters~

2 more days...

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Why use Sword / Shield / Gunlance anymore if the Charge Blade exists? I understand you have to be Pretty Good to use it .. but I mean if you can, then why bother with anything else? I plan on shooting poo poo with bowguns and bows. So I'm just wondering for :spergin: reasons.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

NT Plus posted:

Why use Sword / Shield / Gunlance anymore if the Charge Blade exists? I understand you have to be Pretty Good to use it .. but I mean if you can, then why bother with anything else? I plan on shooting poo poo with bowguns and bows. So I'm just wondering for :spergin: reasons.

Sword and Shields are great for status and in MHG are also getting a "coating"-like item to give them another edge. They also have the advantage of being able to use items while unsheathed.

Gunlances are lances with guns attached to them! I mean come on!!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Because other weapons are fun and all, but sometimes you want to pull out a literal cannon on a stick, shove it in a monster's face, and pull the trigger

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

NT Plus posted:

From what I read, Charge blade got nerfed in MHX/Gen.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

NT Plus posted:

Reposting from old thread:

https://giant.gfycat.com/UltimateBlaringGermanwirehairedpointer.mp4

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
SnS is straight up buffed between hunter arts and coating. I'm really looking forward to them. Don't forget guild style increases the rate which hunter arts charge so all you lose in SnS is the back hop for a third art and the fast build up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

okay if shieldryukens are a thing i might have to give sns a try

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Electric Lady posted:

Play with goons and avoid cheaters~

It's funny you posted this in the middle of powersave chat.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Yo the OP might wanna mention the recently-revived iOS port of Freedom Unite, which despite goons having a heart attack about the notion of playing this game on a phone is awesome, controls really well, and made for an excellent entryway into the series. It might break for another year whenever they update iOS again, tho

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'mma adept bow and striker sns.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

I've played SnS as a support class before. There was this cool Red Khezu monk outfit that let normal potions and other consumables affect all players in an area. I used sword and shield since I didn't need to sheathe it to do. I used a weapon that applied paralysis so that, even though I did relatively low damage, I could still contribute to the offense that way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How does SnS's stun potential match up against hammer's (using the coating that lets you stun on sword swings, of course)?

Also which weapons have the strongest/most fun Aerial styles? I really love mounting as a mechanic but I don't like using the IG, but now Aerial means I theoretically have lots of other options!

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Countblanc posted:

How does SnS's stun potential match up against hammer's (using the coating that lets you stun on sword swings, of course)?

Also which weapons have the strongest/most fun Aerial styles? I really love mounting as a mechanic but I don't like using the IG, but now Aerial means I theoretically have lots of other options!

Aerial Switch Axe's sword form does a hit on the vault and a hit coming down that count toward mounting. The energy charge skill means you can be in sword form 100% of the time if you want. It's super easy to rodeo with it.

edit: Aerial Charge Blade can do the 2-hit burst from the air which is also pretty dang good.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mortimer posted:

You guys sound like you've never used gunlance before. Look, fundamentally gunlance is a slow weapon. It has always been a slow weapon. It is a bunker weapon.

Bunker shoot. Bunker poke. Bunker wyvern fire. Bunker and then charge your bullet and then shoot. Need to move away? Too bad, your rear end is slow so you bunker. Now take a good second or so to reload after that full burst, and then sit and poke until your wyvern fire recharges.

This does not make gunlance the worst weapon. It's the style of the weapon itself, this isn't new. Stop looking at run times and start looking at mechanics charges. You guys aren't getting the issue is that the heating mechanic is a stupid upkeep system that wasn't needed for the weapon. It's not difficult, and it isn't gonna make gunlance awful, but it's unwanted.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How did they nerf the charge blade, at risk of causing another spergy derail? I mean, it kinda needed it, but I did not put in enough time in the weapon in 4U to notice any difference.

Pls don't link a Gaijinhunter video. I mean, I like his videos but I am at work.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

How did they nerf the charge blade, at risk of causing another spergy derail? I mean, it kinda needed it, but I did not put in enough time in the weapon in 4U to notice any difference.

Pls don't link a Gaijinhunter video. I mean, I like his videos but I am at work.

They limited the way you can get red charge for your shield and made it so you cannot do an elemental burst after a guard/guard-point among some other minor things.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The main thing is they took away the ability to go from a guard point straight into the super elemental discharge.

Edit to have some semblance of non-redundant commentary: But if you weren't a super strong player who knew exactly when it was safe to take that free super, there probably won't be much of a difference for you.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lovely Senorita posted:

i am going to call gunlance the 'glance' and that's it

I prefer "gunce".

I don't think it's about efficacy or even style, it's about finding a weapon with a rhythm and method that works for you.

...evade gunce was way better that guard gunce though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The CB nerf means you can do things besides GP into Super and not feel like you're wasting your vials. Getting into red shield isn't harder, you just lose the bash -> charge move to quickly top up and have to cancel another super instead.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
In regards to Adept style, what should I be looking for if I'm doing a last second block?

I have no problems dodging at the right time to trigger the super cool dash, but I never notice anything different when I block at the last second.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I am sticking with the CB because gently caress the haters. So glad Hammer is awesome again, as well. Bought this on impulse this afternoon when I heard it was coming to the US (day after tomorrow, apparently!)

Maybe this will be the MH game that I actually use Bowguns. What's that? MORE ammo types? :fuckoff:

Hammer/CB supremacy. If you're not breaking skulls, you're doing it wrong.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

In regards to Adept style, what should I be looking for if I'm doing a last second block?

I have no problems dodging at the right time to trigger the super cool dash, but I never notice anything different when I block at the last second.

Some weapons, despite having a shield, do not actually have an adept guard

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Gaijinhunter actually has a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

Thanks for this, will probably make use of it! Ultimately I think I want Gammoth or Mizutsune armor for ~pretty~, though.

I am thoroughly ready to Hunt Monsters. Bring on aerial bugblade and the revised bow. :getin:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
This is gonna be it, this is gonna be the monster hunter that I keep playing enough to actually get somewhere in it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:stare:

uh ok wow guess I'm playing SnS instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Incidentally I still wish capture hardware or some other form of screen mirroring for the 3DS weren't so goddamned expensive at $200+, I want this on a bigger screen for my eyes, resolution be damned :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh, I just fought Yian Garuga for the first time. :goleft: I assume everyone had a good laugh at the board meeting where he was being designed.

• Locked thread