Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Haquer posted:

Lmao what.

https://playdauntless.com/news/dauntless-founders-packs

Also they didn't help by calling them all "founder's packs" and the top tier "founder's tier" which caused some teeth gnashing by people who didn't read carefully in the fourms (to be fair, each level clearly states which access you get as item number 1.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bremma posted:

https://playdauntless.com/news/dauntless-founders-packs

Also they didn't help by calling them all "founder's packs" and the top tier "founder's tier" which caused some teeth gnashing by people who didn't read carefully in the fourms (to be fair, each level clearly states which access you get as item number 1.)

No I mean people are literally playing $80 for an alpha

What the gently caress

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Haquer posted:

What the gently caress

You're not wrong but a lot of it is digital collectors edition type perks. Plus, being free to play, and hopefully not pay to win (isn't currently set up to be, but who knows) gotta make money now by creating a scarcity market on alpha and beta access.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bremma posted:

Plus, being free to play, and hopefully not pay to win (isn't currently set up to be, but who knows)

Those packs already contain loot boosting items. I interpret this to mean "drop rates will be intolerable unless you pay up".

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

BMan posted:

Those packs already contain loot boosting items. I interpret this to mean "drop rates will be intolerable unless you pay up".

That's how I felt after I read over the perks as well. :psyduck:

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Probably not super off from what I've seen. I'm more expecting an even worse rare drop rate issue so far from whay ive seen so far, but supposedly they will not be offering paid stuff to affect that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Haquer posted:

I thought that was pretty standard fare nowadays as part of the typical collector's deluxe edition.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I got into the Dauntless tech alphas for free and the game is definitely not worth paying $40+ for access to the alpha/beta. It's a F2P game, just wait for it to come out and try it for free if you're interested.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I was watching CohhCarnage stream it and while he's pretty good at other games I don't think hunting games are a good fit for him. He was complaining that the monsters had too much HP (hunts were maybe 10 minutes, some up to 15 so really roughly like a normal monhun when everyone is undergeared) and kept getting upset thinking a monster had swapped phases when it moved zones instead of assuming it ran off to do other poo poo or to lick its wounds or whatever.

Most of the streamers I've watched probably haven't played a monster hunter game before so they're trying to treat each fight like it's some sort of quick boss fight instead of a battle of attrition against something you are literally hunting, so they go in over and over and get hit over and over and then suddenly have no potions left and start dying left and right.

I know we often joke about "respect the hunt" but it's one of those tongue in cheek things where if you gently caress around with a monster it's going to waylay you.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Pretty interesting write-up about what you observed. Makes me wonder if Dauntless will find a niche of people who've never played MH. I just wonder if there's enough people to sustain them due to the F2P sounds like fairly long-term plans.

Who am I kidding, I should just assume the worst and it has been a dead game ever since they've been panicking to push it out and get alpha packs sold after MHW was announced lol.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, the harder monsters are definately punishing people (myself included). I wish they had native controller support, which i think would help people, but right now the best option is emulating it as a keyboard which has its own issues. As i noted a while back, ill probably play with a pal until MHW comes out

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Bremma posted:

ill probably play with a pal until MHW comes out

I'm gonna do this same thing I think, and I think a good 90% of the player base will do the same. I hope MHW coming out lit a fire under the rear end of the devs to make more weapons and monsters.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Haquer posted:

I was watching CohhCarnage stream it and while he's pretty good at other games I don't think hunting games are a good fit for him. He was complaining that the monsters had too much HP (hunts were maybe 10 minutes, some up to 15 so really roughly like a normal monhun when everyone is undergeared) and kept getting upset thinking a monster had swapped phases when it moved zones instead of assuming it ran off to do other poo poo or to lick its wounds or whatever.

Repeat here from Discord - you're not wrong, but the issue isn't so much the audience but rather what you the player can do. Your weapon toolsets are super boring, so a 10 minute hunt in Dauntless is tedious and boring, feeling like it just drags on and on. A 10 minute hunt in Monster Hunter feels like a reasonably well balanced boss encounter that has some good ups and downs by virtue of effect/ineffective use of a varied weapon movesets.

Until weapons in Dauntless get a good variety of tools simply increasing variety of monster types don't change anything and it'll just be one slog after another.

It isn't bad. Monsters are at least much better than first gen Monster Hunter, which had similar problems with weapons, and doesn't have half the faults otherwise. I think it'll be an OK introduction into the hunting genre, being free to play. Just recommend anyone on the fence so they can see the game circuit, play with them, and when they feel bored by the progression, mention the shortcomings and how these are better handled in modern iterations of the Monster Hunter.

I'll give it another whirl when it is out of Beta, but it doesn't have what I'm looking for at present - and I don't get the indication it will.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Anyone been able to parse out what aerial attacks will look like in World? Asking cause my sister LOVES aerial style and might get bored with a more pre-G system.

From what I can tell it looks like they'll be a mix of the old terrain based style and the new grappling hook thing. It would be cool if each weapon now had an aerial attack built in somewhere like with IG. Although maybe making aerial attacks more accessible would also remove too much of the character of IG.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently there's gonna be a female monster hunter character in MxC after all

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Camel Camus posted:

Anyone been able to parse out what aerial attacks will look like in World? Asking cause my sister LOVES aerial style and might get bored with a more pre-G system.

From what I can tell it looks like they'll be a mix of the old terrain based style and the new grappling hook thing. It would be cool if each weapon now had an aerial attack built in somewhere like with IG. Although maybe making aerial attacks more accessible would also remove too much of the character of IG.

You can jump off of terrain and climb up Monsters from what we've seen. Don't expect hunting styles but instead a blend of the styles.

Aerial DB was fun but I seriously doubt not having the jump is going to make anyone joy want to play MHW.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Camel Camus posted:

It looks like most weapons have a launching attack of some kind to do mounts with from what we've seen.

And IG gets legit air dashes now which is hilarious. And the Aerial style spinning flip attack when they have red extract.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, everyone seems to have gotten more air access without going full Aerial Style, and in turn the Insect Glaive now has air dashes and other craziness so it's still the uncontested master of the air, even if everyone else can actually get up there too. Your sister should be fine, I think.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

apparently there's gonna be a female monster hunter character in MxC after all

Guildmarm and Brachydios confirmed.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0rdazCw24&t=198s

This is where your animations come from.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I didn't even get to see someone do the running dive or the prance :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

please don't doxx me

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lot of video from gamescom going up today

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

where's my dab emote, capcom?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Looks like they completely reworked how charms work

on one hand gently caress charm farming, on the other ain't nothing beat that feeling of speccing out a kamioma

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
As someone who's more of a casual Monhun player (at least as casual as you can be with this weirdo series), I welcome that change.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
There was never anything good about charms, no matter what level you enjoy MH at.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Without charm farming my monhun playtime would probably be cut in half, clearly it's a big and important part of the games :colbert:

:smithicide:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Without charm farming my monhun playtime would probably be cut in half, clearly it's a big and important part of the games :colbert:

:smithicide:

same but rajang horn farming

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Charms are good but the rng for them is not. I like being able to squeeze in a skill that an armor isn't supposed to have.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I can hear people yelling "REEEEEEEEEEEE" already.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That's just ChibiSoma. Pay no mind.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

One of my discord groups dug up this on the new mantle equipment for MHworld. Looks like some interesting utility.

https://youtu.be/i4T0aRZNoJk

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

A few random things I've noticed from gameplay videos:
- You can eat at camp while on a hunt.
- You can hook onto those flying remobra-like things and manually fly them around, to some extent.
- Your palico can mount small monsters and ride them around (and fight monsters while mounted).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Triarii posted:

- Your palico can mount small monsters and ride them around (and fight monsters while mounted).

:homebrew:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give me that prowler mode so I can ride around on small monsters all day.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
just go to a petting zoo or something

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marogareh posted:

Charms are good but the rng for them is not. I like being able to squeeze in a skill that an armor isn't supposed to have.

Oh yeah, my entire approach to armor in monhun is making something that looks cool first and then trying to make it work skill-wise with decorations and charms.

This of course won't be a problem with transmogging which.... oh god MHW isn't going to have that, is it? :negative:

One thing I've never liked about monster hunter is how there's essentially "the greatsword set" and "the evade lance set" and so on due to how skills work, and with (presumably) fewer monsters that's just gonna get worse isn't it? Suddenly I worry for the fashion of MHW :ohdear:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Speaking of cats

http://i.imgur.com/N0OUg5s.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

NO 👏 HEAT 👏 GAUGE 👏 ON 👏 GUN 👏 LANCE

• Locked thread