Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lovely Senorita posted:

i am going to call gunlance the 'glance' and that's it

I prefer "gunce".

I don't think it's about efficacy or even style, it's about finding a weapon with a rhythm and method that works for you.

...evade gunce was way better that guard gunce though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Hnnnnng lets talk about the Gunlance forever please. The heat meter really pissed me off when I first started, but I learned to love it real fast. I am almost never outside of red gauge and the maintenance isn't too bad. If you're going to use normal GLs, aerial is not a decision, it's a requirement. Jump, slam, fullblast 3x for max gauge into wyvern fire to lock your gauge is the name of the game. There is no exception for normal GL to this rule. Adept gets rid of your quick reload, a necessity for wide gunlances so it is not a viable option imo. I still use aerial for long, but you could easily make an argument for adept with longs. Use striker for wide, because it gives you 3 hunter arts. With wide fullblast being bad, it is advantageous to get the most hunter arts possible to instant red gauge your wides

I'd type more but I'm on mobile

Disagree completely

Every gunlance works for every style. Well, except for aerial style, which I got tired of after a while - the jump slam feels slower than just a stab-stab-slam. Wide adept gets a lot of use out of the uppercut from a perfect block, and the quick reload is a bad idea on wide anyway- it's slower to quick reload two shells than it is to full reload after unloading two charged shells or stab-shell-stab-shelling. The quick reload is good for getting a slam on a hard body part, I guess, but I never use it on purpose outside of celebratory fireworks after hunts.

Striker normal you'd think would be bad since you don't get the slam but you actually build meter real fast if you just shell after every stab, and normal gunlances usually have really good physical stats so you're doing gobs of damage with longass combos. You also get three hunter arts so you can set dragon's breath if you're really worried about heat, but usually I go dragon's burst/blast dash/absolute readiness so I can keep that sharpness up while being just stupidly mobile for hauling around a cannon on a stick.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Normal Gunlances do not work with every style. The reason for this is that Normal GL's get a damage boost on fullbursts. Any style that doesn't have a slam is needlessly gimping yourself. It's not just about building gauge, but maximizing your damage potential. Pointlessly removing the main advantage of normal GLs is the worst idea. This immediately removes Striker from the list. The strong advantage of using aerial style for Normals is that fullburst will very quickly put you in red gauge, and wyvern fire is a very easy way to lock your gauge in the red. Hitting your wyvern fire is much easier post mount, especially with the faster monsters. This also frees up your hunter slot to be blast dash or Super Wyvern Fire (idr the name), so you can further improve your damage rate rather than having Wyvern Breath to lock gauge. You can also easily use adept style as the perfect guard gives a full reload into a quick slam, which makes it easy to fullburst. The loss of the quick reoad on normals isn't really a pain since you do less combo shelling, and more full burst. Guild style is fine whatever it's normal and hunter arts are cool and good.

Wide GLs don't play well with Aerial or Adept style, really. You get no benefits from aerial style with the aerial slam and with no aerial charge shell it's not worth playing. Adept loses quick reload, which is absolutely critical for wides. I can't even fathom why you would think it's okay for wides to not have a quick reload. Yes, it is faster in a vacuum to full reload than to just quick reload multiple times, but you have to stop attacking to do so. You can chain quick reloads into combos, and when monsters are downed, quick reload to continue chaining combos with your charged shells and pokes is essential. I'd even go so far as to avoid any style but Striker for your wides, as any slam set is not nearly as powerful as the great long combos you can string together with quick reload and pokes. You're usually looking at poke->poke->charge->quick reload->poke->charge shot->poke->charge shot while a monster is down, possibly more if your positioning starts well. The added hunter arts are nice, because locking yourself in red gauge early is great without having to build up to it which is relatively slow with wides. I don't understand why you aren't quick reloading and then shelling again or continuing your poke combo, but that could be why you think quick reloads are poor.

Longs are sorta just your go-tos for whatever you want. They don't have any playstyle they particularly excel at, which allows you to do whatever you feel is best. Personally, I prefer aerial for the quick gauge building and easy to confirm wyvern fires, as they get a boost to the damage produced by wyvern fires. However, adept is also fine for the full reload after guard which is useful since they only have 3 shells (but they also have 3 shells so the loss of the quick reload isn't terrible). Striker and Guild, not much to say again. If you have a slam for fullburst great, if not great. It doesn't really change the longs at all, and the long is definitely the one you want if you just want to not have to think too much about the style you have.

Striker style doesn't really remove the full burst though, if you're consistent about hitting with that blast dash. I'm not quick reloading because it's a waste of the time I have to actually attack the monsters - if I'm adjusting my ratio of stabs to shoots right, I run out of bullets and my combo ends after the opportunity ends - at which point I can side hop and reload without losing any time that I'd actually use hitting or shooting the monster. Yeah, wides don't burst as well as the normals or longs, but they get just as much advantage out of the uppercut reload and the slam is still a strong attack. If I can rely on the monster being aggressive and semi-predictable, I can usually reload my wide gunlance as fast as I'm firing it.

Yeah, intellectually it would seem like these styles are sub-optimal, but with some experimentation I've found that you can be effective with any style with any gunlance - it's much more about making sure your style and gunlance matches the monster. Even though I dislike aerial, I'm not taking anything else to a najarala or a gammoth. Striker normal is really good against, in particular, ape-type monsters - the two evades gets you out of dangerous attacks, and the smaller shell size means you aren't blasting people away on the smaller target as you build your gauge. Adept wide is really nice against high-speed, aggressive, tough-hided annoyer monsters, like say a certain unicorn, since you'd never get that slam off usefully anyway and the riposte has mind's eye naturally.

I'm just saying you shouldn't be dismissive just because it seems on first impressions to be sub-optimal. There are definitely situations where odd style/gl choices are very effective.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I don't lance much, but have you considered Absolute Readiness for that third slot? I've found it to have really nice synergy with absolute evasion in that I pretty much always have an invincible dodge up when I've got both of them.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

No...because somehow I'm HR7 and haven't even heard of Absolute Readiness. How do I not have at least rank 1 of all the hunter arts yet :psyduck:.

Eh, it's a little bit obscure because it only has one rank and it comes from some LR multi-monster hub quest. Seregios and gendrome, iirc.

It's really handy, because it's basically absolute evade except it leaves your weapon drawn (or draws it if it isn't drawn) and sharpens it a little bit. Charges just a bit slower than absolute evasion, though.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Back to gunlance, for like, a second...

How do I stay safe in a group? I want to give it a whirl, but we've already got an rear end in a top hat in our group who is constantly slapping us around with his longsword. Either I wasn't paying attention, or Gaijin Hunter didn't cover it in his video.

Best practice is to stick your gunlance in the air if you're close to others, usually. x+a, shoot, x, shoot, etc. You still might hit them if they're right next to or on top of you, but it's a lot more group-safe.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

thorsilver posted:

I think we're operating on different definitions of 'very effective' here. If by that you mean you can kill the monster relatively well using odd style/weapon combos with GL, then sure. But the modifiers between Normal, Long and Wide GLs for shelling, Wyvern Fires, and Full Bursts are significant and are specifically intended to discourage you from using the less effective mechanics with those weapons. I can guarantee that whatever time you felt you've gained from avoiding quick reloads was completely obviated by the loss of the 1.45 modifier to shelling damage for Wide types when you shell less frequently. Similarly, losing the frequent Full Bursts for Normal by using Striker loses you the substantial damage boost of five shells with a 1.1 damage modifier (compared to Wide with 2 shells at 0.9).

Numbers-wise, a charged shell from Wide at Lv4 does 83 damage -- Normal at Lv4 does 32. A Full Burst from Normal at Lv4 does 150 damage -- Wide at Lv4 does 103. Long meanwhile gets a 20% damage boost on Wyvern Fires. Note I'm assuming you're using Artillery Expert here, which gives a 20% shelling damage boost and brings the damage back to 4U levels -- shelling was nerfed in Gen :(

These are all significant differences and easily outweigh any momentary conveniences you're talking about. They add up massively over the course of a hunt.

That being said, if it's more fun for you, do whatever you want -- just be aware that you're going to be doing much less damage with the 'gun' part of the gunlance if you're not maximising the bonuses each of the types gets.

When did I say I shell less frequently? Really, how many monsters are down for so long you can stab -> charged shell -> stab -> charged shell and still have time to kill while it's grounded? Even in that situation, you'd squeeze more damage in by backstepping and reloading after the second charged shot than doing the "quick" reload.

You're completely ignoring the stabbing part of the gunlance. Yeah, losing that fullburst on normal sucks, but it doesn't actually matter for some monsters. Try using fullburst on that rajang or blagonga, I dare you - you might get one good opportunity the entire hunt, and even that opportunity might be ruined by having another player in the wrong spot - a fullburst isn't worth it if it knocks someone away.

Maximizing the bonuses of each type of gunlance in a vacuum is pointless, you have to consider how to use them against each monster.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I get fullblasts regularly on everything with aerial idk how you can't?

Like, it doesn't just suck to lose it on normals, it severely gimps the weapon.

Hyper gypceros? Deadeye yian-garuga? gently caress, I don't know, tigrex? Maybe you're much, much better at aerial gunlance than I am, I don't know, but a lot of monsters can swat you right out of the air or just move slightly such that you'll whiff with the burst afterwards, and just spamming the burst -> sidestep reload -> jump slam burst feels... boring.

You don't even really lose the burst with striker style. Not when you consider how fast blast dash charges.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

SilverGryphon posted:

For the love of wool.

Shogun Ceanataur.

Let. Me. Stand. Up.

Stupid pointy hermit crab likes to blast up at me when he burrows, knock me off my feet, then later rinse repeat two or three times before I can get off the ground again.

Maybe I should switch back to Aerial IG for him but I like using Aerial Hammer against the crabs...

Stay on the ground. As long as you don't get up, he can't hit you. You'll automatically get up after a bit, but you can just keep down to avoid the next after you get hit once.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

thorsilver posted:

If you're not using the quick reload during shelling opportunities with Wide, you're shelling less frequently.

Why not simply quick reload --> charged shell --> repeat? If you want more pokes, then in Striker Style quick reloads combo into a low poke instead of a slam. So again, good for shelling-heavy Wide GLs, as you can keep the shell-->poke train going easier.

Getting to Full Burst is far, far easier in this game than in 3U or 4U, so I don't personally have a problem with this at all. Aerial Style gives you Full Burst opportunities constantly. Adept gives you an opportunity every time you Adept Guard. If you're only having one opportunity the whole hunt you're being overly cautious, the move takes only a couple of seconds to come out.

And using Full Bursts out of Blast Dash is fine, but that happens far less frequently than the constant Full Burst opportunities offered by Aerial or Adept.

That changes your tactics during the fight, yes, but it shouldn't alter your strategy going in to the point that you impose a massive shelling damage nerf on yourself. You should still be using Full Bursts on Normal regardless of the monster when opportunities arise, just be more cautious if you're fighting Rajang. Use Aerial Style, get some traps down, etc.

I think you're ignoring me when I say "The quick reload is slower". No, I wouldn't be getting more shelling opportunities when if I quick reloaded because I'd be spending more time doing something that isn't shooting. A backhop reload does not take twice as long as a quick reload and after doing it I can shoot twice, not once.

When I'm saying "You're ignoring the pokes", I mean when you say things like "Why not just quick reload, charged shell, repeat?", that's what I mean - for all the flat numbers the shells give you, the pokes are VERY powerful when aimed well, and poke-shell is very nearly the same timing as just shelling while doing much more damage. Why are you ignoring half of the weapon?

I don't know, maybe I'm carrying some baggage from 4u where shelling was just not worth doing at all outside of extending combos or breaking hard parts, and full bursts even less so. I've been trying to basically just blast with every poke in this game, but I still feel like just a shell on any part that won't bounce you when you could instead poke-shell is a waste.

Also I feel like you're underestimating how fast blast dash charges - it's seriously like five or six pokes + a few shells, less if you use hunter drinks or a variant weapon or both.

Kashuno posted:

Or hell, switch your GL based on what style you will be using for that fight if you can. I am ridiculous and make every possible GL, so I realize that option is not viable for everyone.

You're not alone, I've made a stupid number of gunlances in this game already. Yeah I'll probably never use a sheep-shaped gunlance, or a snowcat gunlance, but it's just so cute! Sure, I've already got a wide lightning gunlance, but what if I want one with fur on it?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

thorsilver posted:

The point is that you were talking about quick reloads not being that important for Wide. Wide GLs should be shelling more often than the other types. In those circumstances, quick reloads are important. I'm not saying that there aren't edge cases where you want to backstep-reload instead, I'm saying that losing the capacity to quick-reload is going to reduce your shelling opportunities with Wide a significant number of times. As I mentioned, quick reloads combo into pokes as well in Striker, and they reset the combo counter, so quick reloads are really useful in general for Striker and particularly for Wide.

Having said that a backhop reload is slower than you think it is, so I would still use quick reload over backstep-reload most of the time. Backstep-reload is what I do at the end of an attack sequence, not in the middle -- particularly as it slightly alters my positioning.

Why are you ignoring everything I've said about the shelling differences? Your pokes with Normal are NOT going to make up for doing less than half the damage on every shell if you're wasting Normal shells in Striker Style. That's the point!

And the specific comment you mentioned was in response to you saying something that implied poke-->shell-->poke-->shell is the only way to go and my point there is that you have other options -- and for Wide, repeated charged shells are very effective and encouraged by the design of the weapon.

Poking is great, I use pokes of course, not using them would be idiotic. The point is that your pokes are not the only effective part of the weapon, and what you are advocating is decimating your shelling damage for no reason whatsoever. For the cases you've been talking about -- fast-moving monsters like Rajang -- the playstyle you're advocating is exactly what Wide/Striker is best for. Normal/Striker is a huge damage hit for no reason, and on top of that you lose many chances for Full Burst which is 50% stronger for Normal over Wide.

Yes, you are. This game is not 4U and does not have G-Rank, which is where shelling damage fell off massively and was nearly always worse than simply using pokes. In X/Gen, shells still scale with HR monsters and are perfectly usable throughout the game.

After using the weapon for the majority of my 920 hours in 4U and 500 hours in MHX and maybe half of my 140 hours in MHGen so far I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of Gunlance, including how fast the Arts charge in the current iteration.

No matter how fast Blast Dash charges, Aerial Style lets you Full Burst faster. Striker Style loses you opportunities to Full Burst outside of Blast Dash, and is therefore a bad match for Normal.

I concede, I admit to having much less experience with this one since I never imported mhx. I'm glad that blasting is better in this one though, I was always a bit disappointed that you basically didn't do it if you wanted to be good in 4u, as much as I love the funky, swingy pokes.

Also, half of that was fashion - I basically want more excuses to use the master gunlance because it looks real cool.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Is striker gunlance wide a good combo? I want to try out gunlance and have enough to make the crystal beard one which looks super neat.

Yup! Losing the slam->blam is no problem for wide, so striker is nothing but advantages.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Elman posted:

I'm at HR5 and using a Narga longsword, am I right to think the Narga Armor S would be a good fit? Don't wanna grind it if it's not gonna make much of a difference (I'm currently using a Jaggi set with Damage L).

If you're not using adept, the evasion and and evade distance might help you, and the extra armor means you're going to be taking quite a bit less damage if you're moving up from a low-rank armor set.

The expert isn't going to be as much of a damage increase as the attack up L though, especially on a relatively low raw/high affinity weapon like a narga weapon.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Veskit posted:

Is the Hellblade armor set the best way to get Sharpness +2 or is there a way to get some variety with it?

Savage Jho's set gives sharpness +2 and razor sharp and doesn't require you to kill a deviant 25-30 times.

Edit: Yeah, what those guys said.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm curious about lance sets as well. Right now I'm using a mixed set with three pieces of drilltusk armor to get Razor Sharp/Guard+2/Weakness Exploit, but the fact that I'm using so much deviant armor without even using its signature skill makes me feel like I could be doing a bit better than that.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ooh. Mind elaborating on the mixed set? That's a nice set of skills, and I have (technical) access to Drilltusk now.

It's the drilltusk hat/hands/pants, along with the vaik S waist and the rathalos EX chest. It does need a sharpness + 5 OO charm, though. Or a worse charm and a weapon with a slot or two.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

USMC_Karl posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm still playing around with just the petrified gun lance, but as I said it's been a total blast. Are there any particular elements that I should avoid, or is basically anything workable? To be honest, that Moofa gunlance seems like it would be hilarious to wield.

I'm still using that first hunter art for gunlance, the one that seems to work a bit like Wyvern's Fire. I'm really not sure how good it is, but it seems to hit pretty hard and it does look massively bad rear end. Since I'm using aerial style, I don't really feel the need to be boosting mobility. Usually I'll sheath my lance, wait for an opening, jump on the monster and whack it once, then unload a full shotgun blast on it. If I have time I'll reload and poke it some, then rinse and repeat.

I was just using gunlance to change things up a bit while I tried to build the Macerator DBs, but I'm thinking of shelving the DB for a while and just plugging along with my gun on a stick.

Definitely try the blast dash. It charges nearly instantly, rockets you across the arena, and hits pretty hard. I play a lot of gunlance, and while when I'm gonna be a tryhard it's gotta be absolute readiness, when I'm having fun it's blast dash every time.

The super dragon blast looks really cool, but it doesn't hit nearly as hard as it looks. If you're going to keep using it, though, make sure you're hitting with the first smallish blue explosion - it's like half the damage, with the other half being spread between all the hits with the large explosion.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Elemental Weaknesses are on a per-monster basis, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're using Long Gunlances. If you're using Normal or Wide the majority of your damage will come from shelling, which is determined by shell level and whether or not you have artillery/felyne bombardier since shelling deals fixed damage and isn't at the mercy of motion values or which part of the monster you hit. All of the Hunter Arts deal good damage, I just prefer the two I mentioned because despite your shield, your best defense is not getting hit at all, and Absolute Evasion sheathes your weapon for you. Try out Adept Style if you've got good reflexes, you can turn a monster's attacks against itself for some absolutely brutal shotgun slamming.

Unless you're just sitting there spamming wide shells/spamming fullbursts in aerial, shells aren't going to be most of your damage. Which is not to say that you shouldn't, but you'll definitely go faster if you mix it up rather than just spamming explosions.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Thanks!

I noticed that there's a separate option to search for hubs that are already in a quest, does that mean after the quest is picked/queued or after embarking?

e: another dumb question; I want to try the Gunlance some time, but am I right in thinking that it might be a bit... online unfriendly? Seems like exploding stuff in people's faces might not be a lot of fun for anyone other than yourself.

It really depends on how you use it. Normal and long shot gunlances are really no more trippy than any other weapon, and with wide shots you just need to be a bit careful; probably angle upwards before you fire.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

God, the sense of mastery is so good in this game. For example, I remember Gypceros being the first monster I carted to and thinking he was complete BS (and perhaps posting about it too :v:) and now I can completely clown on him with no effort using any weapon. It feels so good (even if I know he's an easy monster) :3: I don't know what it is about these games, but it's insanely satisfying when you start mastering a monster.

I see! Thanks. I know gunlances have been nerfed (and a lot of people are saying it's the worst weapon in the game), but what's the best/most fun style/type right now? I'm awful at Adept blocking, so I was thinking perhaps aerial.. but I have no idea if I should go for long, wide or normal lances.

My go-to styles are striker and adept - striker if I'm confident I can avoid damage without the adept guard, adept if I'm not or if it's eminently counterable (glavenus, either magala, etc.) Aerial is fun occasionally, but it's kind of a one-trick pony.

I'd recommend starting with a good wide or long gunlance - normal is good in this game, but you have to be good at getting the slam -> bam out (which is a risky, high-commit move) and it's also much easier to overheat than the other two.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Thanks :3: I finally completed Mizutsune's armor set and a couple of weapons (all those claws... Capcom why) and I also want to start upgrading the Long Sword so I can be the prettiest anime :sparkles:

Found out that I need to fight Shagaru Magala for upgrade mats though.. not looking forward to that. Fought it once online with another person and it took us ages to kill it, does it have an incredibly huge HP pool?

Not really. Shaggy's one of my favorite fights because it's super intimidating and dangerous, but it's very good about telegraphing its attacks and once you know what you're doing it's basically the perfect monster to go adept against, since a lot of its attacks end with its head right there on the ground. The exploding ground keeps things dynamic, as well.

I could see it taking a long time if you keep getting blown around, though.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I have a max upgraded (for this point of the game, which I think means it's still level 1) metal bagpipe, which is upgraded off of the level 3 Iron Horn. I cannot upgrade it further until I hit 4 star quests. It does not come with green sharpness at this point, and the Nibelsnarf is a key quest.

Edit: Other gear is level 3 BuJa armor with Attack Up L from decorations. I cannot go higher on that either until 4 star quests.

Wait. You're using a hunting horn?

Play the purple-purple song twice, or once with double notes. You literally can't bounce.

Also, you ideally want to be attacking his gills or the inside of his mouth. The outside of his head is made out of hard stuff and you ain't gonna be doing much damage there anyway.

If at all possible, make another hunting horn - yellow sharpness is bad. Pretty much any hunting horn you make out of monster materials will get you green. I'm having trouble remembering what you might've fought by that point, but I think even the upgraded petrified horn will get you green.

edit: doh, missed the two posts above this one. Ignore that bit about the self-improvement song.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Ok.

For various reasons, mainly that I'm not good at games like this and I'd like to try to just learn one weapon well, I'm not super interested in switching weapon types yet. Maybe when I get more comfortable with things, but honestly I think it'd just frustrate me in a completely different way right now. It's certainly plausible that the HH isn't the best weapon for this rear end in a top hat, but ultimately it has to come down to me doing something wrong. Whatever I'm doing wrong now, I'd probably still be doing wrong with a different weapon. I'm hesitant to blame the weapon here, unless it's an actual quantifiable thing like "Yellow sharpness doesn't work on this thing."

Any weapon type can work for any monster, but horn might be a bit tougher for this guy because his weak points are sort of surrounded by bounce points, and horn tends to hit wide. You're gonna need good aim.

Yellow sharpness is very bad. If you have yellow sharpness, your attacks are basically 60% - 70% as effective if you hit too early or too late in your animation.

Consider trying different styles - adept might help with those sand lunges you're having difficulty with, and getting a mount or two off could make him a much shorter fight since he otherwise spends so much time underground.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I love the idea that if I gently caress up really bad or just decide to go on a hunt without bringing anything or w/e, I can be self-sufficient just from poo poo I find laying around in the level. Mega potions, bombs, etc. Even bug nets and picks if I need ores or bugs for some other combine I need.

In practice that never actually happens after the tutorial, but I think it's cool as part of the whole hunter-gatherer thing they've got going on.

dragon enthusiast posted:

again you're spelling out why the various systems in monster hunter are bad without really thinking about why they are the way they are

in most cases the answer is either well we did it in the original and spergs would hang us with nooses if we got rid of the potion flex animation, or that people hated it so we came up with a farming system to bypass mass material gathering

also your evaluation of botw is like the polar opposite of my experience with the game so idk

Potion flex animation is wonderful, it adds both to the atmosphere of the game and to the depth of the gameplay.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Elman posted:

Other than that, I'd like even more feedback depending on what you do to the monster. Like making them limp if you hit their leg. There's already a lot of this but it works on a monster-to-monster basis, more consistency would be nice.

Specifically making them limp if you hit the leg seems like it would be a bad idea, since it would make it more difficult to tell when things are ready to be captured. I get what you're saying though, more things like tigrex's claws and gypceros' bulb would be nice, it feels good to watch a monster gently caress up because you sabotaged it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Tigrex hammer is real nice and way less of a grind.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Sometimes I feel like I don't like styles, but I think what I really don't like is the absolute evades and how easy adept is. It makes positioning less of a factor, which is part of the game I enjoyed.

I think adept evade windows are a little smaller in XX though? So that could help.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zodack posted:

I've never understood why people complain about Adpet or CB or anything else that is "overpowered" when it is released. If you don't want to use it, don't, and if someone else uses it it certainly isn't ruining your gameplay. This isn't some kind of MMO with PvP or anything competitive. Even then the level of convenience those things give are marginal.

It feels like a lot of the new monsters were sort of designed around adept, and it's pretty much always the easiest way to not die. If you're not king poo poo of hunter mountain, it's difficult to justify not taking adept against something that might kill you in one or two hits in multiplayer when you're taking carts away from everyone else - and then once you've chosen adept, it's much less important to think about what the monster is likely to do next because you have this perfect dodge/perfect guard.

The absolute evasions also do that, and make a lot of more "marginal" hunter arts completely useless/unused because there's no reason you'd slot them over a perfect evade that charges after a few attacks and sheathes/sharpens your weapon. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use provoke, for example.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zodack posted:

I don't understand this. You play the game for you - play how you want. If you're dick at the game I don't think you're gonna be able to not get blown out by timing your adept dodges wrong. There's not some meta here to where you should feel pressured to take any one style. Adept is a good style but if you don't want to use it, there's nothing stopping you.

You really think adept doesn't make it easier to survive against, for example, level 10 dreadqueen or hellblade? It's not like the timing on adept dodges is particularly difficult.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Arthil posted:

The backlash to some of the stuff is really funny, honestly. Games have moved on since the PS2 era, we can have big open game worlds now instead of compacting everything into smaller areas broken apart by load screens. A lot of the stuff people strangely consider "iconic" about the series, are just hanger-ons from an era where it had to be done that way. It's stuck cause the series ended up on a handheld for way too long.

Glad I lived to see the day that all games can finally live up to what they were always intended to be: open world stealth brawlers

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

pulp rag posted:

I consider GS and Bow similar because both involve charging up and waiting for a good moment to strike. Same with Hammer?

Pretty much: which weapon focuses on getting right up in a monster's face and smashing that Attack button?

e: I'll try out IG and HH for shits and giggles.

Grab a lance, they're built for standing knee-deep in monster. It's still not mindless, but they've got a lot of tools for staying in.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm doin another Generations playthrough to tamp down some of my hype for World, and I think I'll pick up a new weapon to use. My last playthrough was Adept LBG/HBG, and I played HH and IG in 4U. Any recommendations for a cool+good weapon to try?

They are all good and cool. Hammer and Greatsword might be a good change from those!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

xanthan posted:

Fuuuuuck gore masala. High rank armor and the low rank one still clowns me anyway. I have good dragon resist and physical defense, a dragon S&S that got me past the grown up one before, but I keep dying. Tried a hammer, same result. Good old switch axe with a dragon phile? Dead. Greatsword with crit draw armor? Dead.

Did generations nerf him? Because in 4 he is kicking my rear end much more. Any advice?

What attacks are hitting you? Pretty much any monster where you can't dodge most of the attacks most of the time is going to clown you, armor or no. Gore is more dangerous in that regard thanks to the frenzy disabling your natural regen for a while.

Near his left hind leg is usually pretty safe, or at least gives you a bit more time to react when he starts an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

nerdz posted:

The only thing shittier than the urgent quest system is when you need to to like 2 or 3 of them in a row to rank up. I really hope that's gone.

Also one question about the join mid quest thing. Does anyone even know how that will work out? Will you just enter a queue and wait for someone to call for help? Will you be able to choose the quest you'll join?

I don't really see myself using that feature (either hosting or joining), but we'll see.

If I could join a queue and just guaranteed get into some random hunt instead of having to faff about in a lobby, I'd do it instantly, so I'm really hoping that's how it works.

• Locked thread