Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation on my Amazon preorder. I hope I don't get the game late. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Ahh charm hunting

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Monster Hunter Generations" on this list
https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

I bought it for star knight armor months before it came here
Holy crap Action Master. I haven't seen that in ages.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone else not gotten a shipping notification from Amazon for their preorders? I'm starting to get nervous.

Meanwhile, I gave SA a try in the demo. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet; it feels like it should be swinging faster than I'm swinging it. Like, the wind-ups are huge. Or, at least they feel huge. Maybe I'm just too used to CB.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

The localization in this game is amazing :allears:

They've also put in a GaijinHunter reference.

Hurry up and get here, UPS dude! Those monsters aren't going to hunt themselves! :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

enojy posted:

Perfect time to pick up a new weapon you've never (or seldom) tried before!
I've been thinking about moving away from CB (I constantly do the vial load by accident mid-combo, and I can't remember how to do the drat shield charge), but I can't decide if I want to so Switch Axe or dual blades, or just stay with charge blade.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemming posted:

Do the dual swords have a lot of bullshit combos to memorize? I have a very tiny brain, I used insect glaive in 4u and that only has one damage combo most of the time so I could handle it

[yrl="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHc2Wj95htvNA17XAu5BYSvmPEiXuFRct"]This guy[/url] has a bunch of weapon tutorials that go over the basic combos for all the weapons. The downside is that they're mixed in with a ton of other videos.

Here's dual blades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWZgzkEj0Q

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, farming Bulldrome is a really good way to get the hang of guard pointing. I managed to KO him when he charged into my red-shield guard, and I was able to unload the full elemental combo into him. :black101:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elysiume posted:

In finding a video to help show someone what guardpoints are I discovered they changed/nerfed chargeblade in a lot of areas. I was really confused about why I couldn't charge my shield to full, and why I couldn't combo the shield bash into an ultra. So if anyone else is like me and can't figure out how to get their shield red because you're used to MH4U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZfIaO9l-0

Summary:
  • Ultra doesn't have a shockwave anymore, it's just point of impact
  • Shield bash can't be comboed into ultra, just into shield charge
  • You can only charge your shield to red if you're in axe mode
  • Guardpoints will move into axe mode rather than dropping you back into SnS
  • Guardpoints have a longer delay before letting you combo out of them
  • Also I think they tweaked a lot of numbers including dropping stun rate to keep hammer more firmly in its niche
It's worth pointing out too that you can't charge to yellow if you're using Adept style; you can only charge to red by being in axe mode and doing the big elemental swing (X+A), and pressing R in the initial wind-up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Or from R via adept block

Oh, I was wondering how I did that. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't understand how charge blade works at all. Anybody got a guide for utterly stupid idiots like me? The ingame advice is useless.
I'm not an expert by any means, but:

Your bread-and-butter combo in sword mode is X -> X -> charge & release A -> (X+A) -> X. That's two swings, a charged swing that you release when the light flashes, a shield thrust, and ending in a wide swing. That'll generally get you a yellow charge on your phials.

The phials glow as you do damage, and you "load" that charge into the phials with R+A in sword mode. Yellow fills 3, red fills 5.

You can switch to axe mode with R+X. In axe mode, X does vertical slashes, and A does horizontal elemental slashes. Elemental slashes will drain one phial per hit, but will inflict more elemental (+300%) or impact (KO & exhaust) damage depending on the weapon. You can do X -> A -> X -> A as an infinite combo, A -> A -> A finishes with a huge super burst and switches you back to sword mode. You can also do a huge elemental swing with X+A but that'll drain all your phials.

You can also charge your shield with phials to power up your blocks. With three phials press X+A -> X+A to get a yellow shield charge, and with five you have to go into axe mode, start the X+A attack, then press R in the initial wind-up when you're holding the axe behind you.

When your shield is charged, your blocking becomes more effective, your shield will give off an explosion when you shield thrust or block, and your elemental axe attacks do more damage. With a red charge, you get all the yellow charge abilities, plus your shield will give off explosion when you block and your axe attacks do even more damage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Brekelefuw posted:

I am basically new to MH. Played the first PSP one, but haven't since.

I am having trouble capturing the monster in the tutorial. I get him weak and set the trap, but he runs away to a different zone.
I tried again and set the trap on the path to the zone he will run to before weakening him and he just ran by it.
The other issue is that I can't place a second trap in the new zone for some reason. It is crossed out.
Second point first: you can't have more than one trap "live" at a time. You have to wait for the first one to time out before you can lay down another one. I think it's five minutes for it to wear out.

When monsters start limping, they'll generally first go to an adjacent zone for a while, then after taking a little more damage they'll go to their "home" zone to sleep. That's the best time to trap.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: wrong thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why do my cattes keep laying down and slacking off mid-mission? Does it have to do with level or something?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also, whoever said to use aerial hammer against Daimyo Hermitaur wasn't loving kidding. Goddamn I wrecked his poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shoenin posted:

So how does one get more ingredients for meals?

Ive just been playing Hunter's Hub, so havent done much of the village quests

By doing village quests, actually. Mainly villager requests; a lot of the time the person will mention that they'll give you a new ingredient.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tonight I discovered the joy that is Aerial Hammer. KO and mount every five minutes. I've been thinking about changing from CB to switch axe, but holy poo poo Aerial Hammer is so much fun. Now if I just had a better one than the bone hammer...

I also fought Blangonga for the first time tonight and gently caress that guy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aerial SW drat near feels like cheating, especially with Energy Charge. I'm still not far in but I am just wrecking big monsters left and right.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So it turns out I'm the scrub running around with skill-less armor, because I made the Hermitaur set back when I was still doing the CB, but since I changed to SA the one skill I get off the armor doesn't work, and I didn't think to check until last night after I'd finished 3*. :downs:

What's a good armor set that I can make in 4* village for aerial SA? I'm kinda looking at the Narga set.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How do I get a second cart with Neko (means "Cat")?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think this has been posted before: Monster Hunter: The Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAWhIXyGlk

e: Or, if you prefer swing: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEB879E60BF5BC5B0

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 1, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this is kinda off topic, but how does GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst stand up as a PC Monster Hunter-y type game? I tried Toukiden: Kiwami a while back but wasn't super-impressed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kawabata posted:

I'm happy to hear it because in the first version of my post I did swear a lot about the fact that I got hit twice by his 360 while standing on a small hill- but then I cut that part because I thought I sounded salty enough. :) I suppose this is indeed a poo poo monster designed to be done in multi (disregard my cats, they were always dead against Tigrex). Not that the other dragons' hitboxes are always flawless either. I often whiff by literally 1 inch with the Hammer but any time the big beast moves his paw 1 meter from me I'm suddenly on my rear end for some reason. Please tell me there is a way to prevent getting ko'ed by the faintest loving breeze, an armor or something at some point.

The Hero Shield skill will prevent you from taking damage from small attacks. I think there's also one that keeps you from getting knocked over by small attacks, but I don't remember what it's called.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I finally got off my rear end and finished Village low-rank. This is my obligatory "well, that certainly was a video" post.

Now it's time to start grinding high-rank gear! :smithicide:

fake edit: oh god all these new missions are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Also, now that I've unlocked Village 6 I'm gonna need 12 Tigrex fangs to upgrade my all my bowguns. You get 0-2 per Tigrex.

At least you have a goal. I have no idea what gear I want to start working towards first.

• Locked thread