Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Might seed barrel bomb into thread to save time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Valentin posted:

After two games of the most anime weapons possible (switch axe and charge blade), I've decided that MHG is finally going to be the game where I charge blindly forward into trying gunner stuff for the first time. Excited for the learning curve to make me to feel like horrible useless trash all over again.

Gunner is very fun in this iteration.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Mortimer posted:

its always been fun
its always been good
but it hasn't always been this accessible

let me tell you about grinding fish for combine-able pierce 3

Dood, remember mh3, the parts THE PARTS!

I miss them so....

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

It is always a gunner rite of passage to run for your life while combining.

Or having friends carry combines for you and screaming for the hand off.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Wafflz posted:

"... and then we'll give him an instant beak slam with a huge hitbox"

:classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol:

That breaks lance tier blocks.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Ahh my old nemesis, how you returned.

Fishing quests...

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

In the old games, the only move that type of monster had was hip check. Or it would swim in the ocean for like 5 hours with no one to hit it with a melee weapon.

And we loved it

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

What do you all prefer for hammer time, aerial or adept?

I still like guild a bunch but adept is fun. I just don't like the weird floaty dodge associated with aerial. Maybe you just get used to it?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Drythe posted:

I like that the gamefaq posters still visit this thread. never change you crazy people you

What defines the "gamefaq" poster? Never been there save to find numbers like motion values for FU.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

TenWren posted:

Doing a gathering quest as prowler + 2 cats once again, not thinking about anything in particular, when I'm suddenly and severely aware these cats never shut up.

Coming to a stop/starting to move: meowmeowmeowmeowmeowmeow
Upsetting garghwas: meowmeowmeowAHHHHHHHmeowmeowmeowAHHHHHHH
Running into a bunch of melynxes: end my life

You get used to it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

You can hate the cats but one day, one of them is going to come back with the exact thing you need that very moment and you will be very grateful.

Prowler is a cool and neat system.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

If it's actually "okay" that's good enough for me, honestly. I'm a Fashion Hunter after all :unsmith:

In unrelated news I just fought a Rathian who did 90% of her damage to me in chip damage from stepping around. How do you deal with steppy-stomps like that? Does the Tremor Res skill affect it or does that only affect stuff like Lagombi's pound that make your character sway for a moment? (I suspect it's the latter)

You suspect correctly. Damage caused by that is due to improper positioning.Be glad that it is only enough to be considered chip, it was once substantial in ye olde hunting days. It just comes with practice.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Figured as much. Since I'm still a beginner; where exactly is proper positioning on something like Rathian? On my Hammer I always stick to their face, but I was using Lance and figured that staying underneath it would be much safer (which in hindsight I guess it wasn't).

Ideally for the raths, all weapons want to be hitting the head. The best spot for lance is no different. The advantage of lance over other weapons is even if Rathian is facing you, you don't have to respect many of her attacks and can keep hitting the head. So while being in front of the head isn't the best, lance is able to still mount an offense despite being in a poor position. Staying in good positions is the hard part.

You can be be relatively safe under the belly of Rathian, you just need to watch the legs and use more back hops, side hops and counters. By no means make attacking the belly your sole objective, there are breaks to do and lance is a surgeon's knife in getting exactly the breaks you want. It can still be good practice here for Deviljho, who makes it a habit to try to step all over you.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Emalde posted:

Aerial HBG basically turns you into a video game shotgunner. No need to worry about distance, recoil, or reload, just pack normal/pellet/crag and go HAM

Does this mean I can pellet gun online without stunlocking all the blademasters?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Countblanc posted:

My friend says he basically hates using HBG now because Aerial Pellet is stupidly good and really boring once you get over the initial hilarity, sorta like Aerial GS, but it's so potent that using anything else feels like a significant increase in hunt duration.

I don't know how true this is but it's pretty disappointing if it is.

If it was as strong as all that, it should dominate for speed run attempts in mhx. For gunner though, it looks like mostly adept and a bit of striker. On phone so can't post link but I can later if you want.

Personally, I don't like aerial cause it needs your siege/ rapid ammo to feel right. After that it is just a single shot not on a significant weakpoint generally. Mounts are nice but gunners don't need that to kill fast. All my adept times are way stronger than aerial.

It sure looks cool and feels powerful but I don't see it as heads and away better like striker is for lance, for example.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe I'm just explaining poorly. If my first attack of the combo bounces, then every attack afterwards when I'm trying to either continue that combo or immediately restart the combo will continue to bounce unless I wait a second or so inbetween inputs from when that first attack bounced.

Edit:

Looking forward to trying out both evade lancing and just stacking up on Guard, but don't think I've got the right armor available for either of them yet. Also still just wearing an upgraded Buja set. I made a Hermitaur armor set since it had better defense, but so far I've not actually needed to wear it for any fights.

You still are hitting something too hard. Lance has no built in mind's eye like switch axe, so hitting armor is very disruptive. The combo will work properly if you return hitting something you can pierce. You just have to clean up what you are hitting. That or you are going for a hard break.

You can touch evade lancing pretty quick, armor is available for it roughly the same as the crab. Lagombi has evade + you can gem into and unlocks at the same level as the crab. For a different take, nargacuga has evade extender but it is less forgiving. It does allow for some more aggressive plays though once you get used to it. The best to practice first is nargacuga, cause of its easy tells. Other monsters which works well with evade is the crabs. Agnanktor jump rope and plesioth hip check (yes, that hip check) are also good with evade, though they are much later.

Both styles are totally viable though, with monsters being more weak to one over the other. Generally evade is better on a lot of fights but guard is stronger on others, like Brachydios. One of the reasons why I love the weapon is that you can play it in two very distinct ways.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

What good are weapons when you can't hit the monster? :shepicide: Either way, I'm not gonna do that quest for a while because I finally got access to Gammoth. I'm gonna be busy killing him over and over for the next week until I get all his armor and weapons because drat if his stuff isn't my aesthetic.

Still haven't gotten the Nargacuga weapons (and still missing gloves) though, because despite sleepbombing, mind's eye oil and knowing where the break point is I just can't seem to break his wings before he dies. :(

Go solo the guild hall version. It has enough health to survive considering you are focusing a part.

Alternatively, try gunning the wings off. I think captures also gives you chances on more wings, not sure.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Do you also get the additional carts from the Prowler Quests? Found the one that gave me the bug jelly which was nice but now i'm gonna be needing extra carts.

Ya, knocking the frill off of Kut-Ku while a Prowler will give you an additional cart.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Well yes, I know that. What I'm wondering is whether the supply box is offering clues as to how to defeat the monster.

Everything in the box is relevant to that fight, so yeah. Items given will always be effective for that monster.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

enojy posted:

That ending should've been the games intro cinematic. Would've been perfect.

Well now the DLC screen makes a lot more sense...

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm not entirely awake. I was gonna say that I thought "pft, whatever" to the idea, but I totally love the flagship monsters the most just like people said I would :negative:

As far as monsters I really love fighting, Nargacuga is also on the top of the list though.

Nargacuga was the flagship for Freedom Unite.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Which is funny because that's technically the first Monster Hunter I played (even if I never finished a single quest) :shepface:

I understand. Technically Tri was my first but I killed Lagiacrus in the village and that is as far as I got.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

RossCo posted:

Out of interest, what did people do when they hit HR re: armor? Roll on with their LR sets for a while, or go hunt Jaggis for that set?

Depends on how attached you are to a set. Generally, a new rank means getting new armour all over again. In a way, you kinda start over. It really depends though how much of a shock going from low to high feels to you.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

He's an ultrabitch to solo though. I had the best insect glaive attainable before beating him and every attack buff I could stack and I still finished with seconds to spare.

I do agree that he's probably the bext giant fight, though.

You'd hardly know he was the flagship monster in FU from playing it. You'd probably think it was Tigrex. They don't really put much emphasis on Narga.

I like Narga but it feels like he gets chumpier every game they put him in.

It was kinda the same thing between Gore Magala and Seregios. Steve got some decent time in high rank but Gore Magala probably got more development than any monster before. Nargacuga got the same level of love as Brachydios did as the high rank scary thing.

If anyone has gotten chumpier between games though, that award goes to Tigrex. The pain train goes off the rails now, instead of chugging on and on through you. Before, it kinda mattered for a decent shot at breaks to get him embedded in a wall. Now you just have to wait for him to tire out.

Nargacuga is one of the better designed fights in the series. The problem is that after a few years, everyone knows the pattern like the back of their hand. He has gotten predictable after all this time. Zinogre suffers from the same problem.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Worst monster in the game to fight, not on difficulty but on :ughh: factor, go

Voting Nibelsnarf

Lao-Shan Lung. God drat is he boring.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

This whole 'the only way to get fish is doing it the old fashioned way or gimping your Meownster Hunter quests by aiming for fish instead of monsters' thing is really aggravating. It also makes Malfestio's gear worthless. You're not gonna take sleep weapons on normal hunts anyway, but even if you did you're just going to have Barrel Bomb Ls because who wants to god drat fish in the hopes of getting the right thing to make L+s. And anyone who just brings Ls to a sleep bombing run is a bad person. :mad:

Does Neko (means "Cat") ever get the option of going "Hey make these fuckers from Moga send their boatmans out"? If so, what quest do I have to do so I can go on it immediately.

As for awful fights, any 'massive' monster. Lao, Gaoren, Dalamadur, they're all poo poo and take forever.

The Prowler quest to get 3 Goldenfish at village 4 unlocks fish trading from Neko.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Lemonpieman posted:

All my dragonite ore problems have been solved after I figured out you can send the hunters for hire out to the volcano for the coal quest. Thank god.

Thank you....

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Holy poo poo, new least favorite fight. I'll spoiler it just because maybe it's a village quest spoiler since I haven't seen people mention it before...and for whatever reason the quest disappeared after I finished it, Kirin. Never standing still for more than 5 seconds, worse than Blangonga... Lightning more annoying than Khezu and staying in that lightning form 80% of the time during which it's skin is the hardest of any monster I've seen. To top all of that off, it appears that you can't even trap it???

Yea, real fun fight. Will avoid 100% if possible.

Pellet gun that goddamn horse.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Squidtentacle posted:

What's weirder to me is that you can't continue to see what those upgrades are if you've already brought a weapon up to that point. Using your earlier example, if I've already upgraded one Iron Sword to level 3, shouldn't I be able to see that I can get the Buster Sword on the second Iron Sword I'm upgrading? I feel like it's fine to make it a secret at first, but after that it just becomes more of a hassle. "What does this upgrade into again? Come here, phone."

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone have any tips for soloing Redhelm Arzuros? Is it reasonable to do with equipment I've upgraded to the best of LR's ability? It feels like I SHOULD be able to do it, considering the stats on the armor, but that fucker hits like a truck filled with bears.

Totally doable even with mid tier LR stuff. While he hits like a truck, the move set is still the bear. It just is not a cakewalk by yourself. Bring honey if you need extra healing coverage.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

scaterry posted:

Did they remove maestro as a charm skill? I haven't seen a charm drop with Maestro is a long time

It is still there.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

SilverGryphon posted:

*dodges Glavenus tail slam by scooting like an inch to the left*
*feels awesome*
*gets comboed by Glavenus and carts two minutes later*

Such is the monster hunting life.

Any tips for getting Glavenus's tail? I need his glaive.

I need it.

To get difficult tails, you need trips, mounts or traps.

Shock traps can cause a monster's tail to conviently kink, making it easy to hit. Try to trap them when exhausted for a longer duration. Pitfalls do nothing for you though.

Mounts are something you can definitely spam with IG, other aerial styles will also work. Mounts don't give you enough time as they used to but they still are good.

For Glavenus, you can be hitting the bottom 3rd of his tail and still have it count.

Otherwise focus on the legs a bunch to get the monster to fall over. Things like flash bombs or sonic can also work depending.

That should get off any tail eventually with anything that can cut.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

SilverGryphon posted:

By bottom third, do you mean the third near his butt or the third near the tip?

I'll see if I can focus on getting in to his legs more often without getting crushed. I main Aerial IG so I can usually be assured of either getting or setting someone else up for 2-3 mounts per hunt. He just doesn't seem to like heating his tail up in the later part of the fight when that damage accumulates.

Near the butt.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I actually found pubbies in this game to be generally nicer and more cooperative than any other. Everytime somebody says they're setting a trap, the entire group hauls butt to it, everybody uses their preset greetings, that kind of thing. Normally it's a wild west of selfishness out there, but MH seems unique.

It is out there though. I have been in rooms in 4u where I got kicked cause I was a gunner. "Your defense is half mine, go back to high rank." Nevermind that gunner is always half the defense value. Same thing is happening with prowlers now. There is a "tier" list but it never matters, though people have their own ideas.

The good players though can carry just about anyone though. The guy with hunter rank 700 will sit through 2 carts on a basic monster just to see it through. Almost fun to do, see if you can beat the monster before your team dies. There are jerks who do abandon at the first sign of trouble though.

Compared to a lot of games, it is quite a bit better. I have only met one player who cussed me out in 3u cause I was using a "bad" weapon.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Meldonox posted:

Let's say I wanna try getting pokey or blasty. Assuming lances/gunlances are in good shape in Gen, can someone give me a quick and dirty basic "make this, take this style and art(s), kill this and see how you like it"?

Kinda hard to do cause lance/ gunlance can be divided into two different schools, guard or evade. Additionally, gunlance comes in 3 different flavours of normal, long and wide shot types. These shot types are specialized in certain attacks and do better in different styles. I'll try though for a quick and dirty look.

Evade lance:
Style = striker
Defining skills = evade + and/or evade up
Lance = brachydios (slime goes well with lance)
Arts = guard enrage, rest to taste but an evasion one is nice.
Monster = Nargacuga (easy timings), Zinogre works too. Plesioth if you are ballsy.

Guard lance:
Style = adept
Defining skills = guard + and/or guard up
Lance = brachydios
Arts = guard enrage
Monster: Nargacuga, Tigrex is another option. Brachydios if you are ballsy.

Gunlance:
Style = adept (aerial with a normal gun is fun though)
Defining skill = guard + and/or guard up
Gunlance: something with long shots like Brachydios (no penalties, forgiving range).
Arts = dragon blast but totally negotiable.
Monster = Nargacuga, Tigrex, Agnanktor is another option.

You can totally run evade gunlance, just change skills accordingly. Striker may be a better style for this. What defines evade lance also works for gunlance. Gunlance is less forgiving on positioning though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Why is evade distance a lovely perk? I usually like it on some weapons. And yeah naracuga armor is always lower than average defense cause you are supposed to dodge more in it.

Evade distance is one of my favourite skills. Frames are and feel amazing but sometimes the best way to dodge an attack is just to not be there at all.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Pierson posted:

On the one hand having an MMO-style wardrobe feature would be cool but on the other I do appreciate every set (outside of minmax clownsuits) has a different purpose and I know more or less exactly how my party members are gonna play based on what they're wearing. Plus the dick-swinging rep of being in full Alatreon R or whatever. I know the sheer amount of stuff Gens has was a selling point but realistically most of the armor will never ever be worn. I'd be fine with half the armours or skills of Gens if all of them were worth using for different situations.

I do hope 5 really mixes poo poo up after 4 and the 'best-of' Gens/XX. The power creep is feeling pretty real and most monsters just don't keep up anymore.

Ya, I would agree that many of the monsters require a re-design to combat the power creep.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Deviants in general really push the envelope, since not only do you have to fight them over and over again, some Deviants are dangerous enough where leaving it to attrition greatly increases their chances to cart you.

Besides, it's not like "min-maxing" is really hard in this game. It basically just boils down to punching in whatever skills you want into Athena's rear end and making what it gives you.

Ya, the Deviants are easily my favourite thing that Gen introduced. The varied and different movesets were very refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Elman posted:

I'm surprised nobody recommended buying MH4U just because there's no reason to buy MHGen now that MHXX is coming.

...Unless MHXX doesn't get released outside Japan, I guess.

Umm, I heard that you will be able to port over your save file from MHGen to XX when it hits. Has that changed?

• Locked thread