Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

What's this talk and where can I read about it?

https://youtu.be/s3GdUhg56l0

It seems there's no more skill thresholds. Meaning you don't need 10 skill points to activate attack up. Every point will increase attack.

Also, there is no separate armors for blade and gunner weapons. If you're using a blade weapon then your physical defense is increased. Using a gunner weapon increases your elemental defense. How they handle skills like sharpness or load up is unknown at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Plessy is super fun to fight when you use Pierce HBG. Even better when you use LBG and Pierce Thunder shots. Dies in a couple minutes.

Garuga is the worst. The way he just skips his recovery animation and goes straight into an instant charge is the absolute worst.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Social Dissonance posted:

I'm going to shamelessly self-promote a video I was able to capture at Pax West. World is really good, and I imagine the final build will be even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEwoo8Nsq4

I watched this last night when I saw it in my recommends. And was like, oh poo poo it's Social Dissonance! I remember your super helpful posts back when I first started playing Tri.

Vid was awesome btw. Glad to finally see people take on Rath. And some actually good Bow gameplay too!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My go to for Brachy was always water DBs. I was in constant need of Brachy pounders and DBs were perfect for hitting those. Plus, water element has the added effect of washing away the slime on his arms, causing him to have to lick them more constantly. I think! :v:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

In other news I found someone selling a Circle Pad Pro XL and 3U dirt cheap. I can't imagine there's much of any online going on in 3U so how's the game from a pure solo perspective? Never played any 3rd gen so I feel like I want to at least try it since I got it basically for free :v: Of course, between MHXX and MHStories and now this.... I have so much Monster Hunter to play that I'm not sure where to even start. Hopefully enough to get my MH fix until MHW? :getin:

I solo'ed all of 3U. It wasn't really that bad tbh. Though I did it with dual blades and those things were pretty beastly in that game. GRank quests usually took 10-20 minutes.

Goldbeard Ceadeus is the gate to G-rank. He can be a challenge to kill by yourself. I'd use Lance, or even better HBG for that. Actually use those for all underwater fights.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It's not exciting, but infinite whetstones should already be a thing. And they should automatically be in your inventory if you're using a melee weapon. Kind of similar to all gunner weapons having normal 1 shots with infinite ammo.

Quality of life improvements like these seem small but they have all added up throughout the series to make the game better.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like Switch Axe but yeah, Charge Blade does a better job of utilizing both forms. Sword and board for charging phials and guard points, axe for damage. Switch Axe is just try and stay in sword mode as much as possible. At least Axe mode charges it, but Gen made even that useless with it's insane arts.

Switch Axe looks very badass in World though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The Raths are programmed to flock to each other whenever one of them roars iirc. It's kinda cool but also incredibly annoying. It's best to just forget dung bombs and focus on killing one of them asap. You could also spam smoke bombs before they both see you. You'd need to sheathe and reapply every time the effect is about to wear off though. But it makes things super easy in arena quests and also for the Raths.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
For HBG, Pierce is the best ammo to use on most monsters. Normal is good too, especially early on on the smaller monsters. At least this was the case for Gen.

So look for a gun with a large Pierce or Normal clip. Mizutsune gun was really good in Gen as it had large Pierce 1 and 2 clips. Or that can siege pierce shots, like the Kushala gun. Shaggy gun was good for Normal2.

As for skills, weakness exploit is real good as you should always be aiming at a weak spot anyway. Evade extender if you're not using adept style (or brave, not sure how that works). Shot booster extends the critical window, which helps a lot with pierce shots. Though that's more of an endgame skill. Then there's pierce/normal/pellet up of course. And all the crit skills, crit eye, crit booster, etc.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Should I play generations or is there something fresher? I have a switch and a 3ds.

Well if you have a Switch you can import the sequel to gen, xx. It's the freshest game but it's also only in Japanese. Some other posters here have done this, though if this is your first MH game probably not a good idea...

Otherwise, yeah Gen is the newest US game. I think 4U is the better game overall, but Gen's online is more populated. Though not what it once was obviously.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

instead of spending hours of my life mining or grinding the exact same quest I edit perfect (but legal) charms into the game

things that let me play fashion hunter but also have insane stats

people that hack in impossible charms should be drawn and quartered

Yeah, charm RNG is poo poo. So I'm fine with modding in charms when you're in endgame and don't feel like endlessly mining.

Modding was the worst in 4U though, with the relic weapons and people modding in outrageous stats. I played with a guy using a 1800 sleep weapon once. We were doing a level 140 dual Deviljho quest and they would fall asleep every time he hit them. Kind of amusing.

We managed to still fail that quest though. Surprise surprise the guy was terrible and somehow he got carted when both Jhos showed up at once lol.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Sporkie posted:

So, I'm a little late on that whole Monster Hunter: World trailer and probably missed some news somewhere... But am I seriously seeing a Palico riding a little lizardthing into battle along side his hunter, and someone please tell me this is actually a thing even if it isn't really a thing because that makes me happy in so many ways.

It is definitely a thing :3:

Your palico can learn the language of the indigenous catte people which let's them communicate with small monsters in the area. It's why you only have 1 palico slot in this game bacause the monster fills the 2nd slot when your palico recruits it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The melee moves for prowlers were beyond terrible.

But a cat decked out with boomerang skills was awesome and had decent dps too.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I was initially concerned about changes but now that I've seen plenty of gameplay footage it looks like classic monster hunter. Now I'm just looking to see the number of monsters in the game. We've already seen plenty of awesome newcomers, and they brought back my boy Barroth, so I'm not worried much about that anymore either.

What I'm trying to say is, this game is gonna own bones.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
They said they were going to cycle event quests. So my guess is that endgame subspecies like Gold/Silver Rath and a large Jhen-esque monster will be part of that instead of $5 dlc packs.

I'd prefer if they released G-rank at a later date as a DLC pack, instead of a new game. If it's not in the base game (it won't be). Maybe throw in a new map and hub. Charge $30 instead of $60 again.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The whole point of this game is to kill big monsters so you can wear them as hats so you can kill bigger monsters. It's supposed to be somewhat difficult but rewarding to craft a full set of armor or new weapon.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I don't think Capcom fucks with that formula by introducing loot boxes.

Someone remind me I made this post as I'm on my 20th Rathalos kill for that ruby.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I only have to actively farm for ones when I first unlock a new area like the volcano and I need 5 Dragonite ores to upgrade my weapon. Otherwise the game spits ores at you in the reward screen. So if you wanna pay some money for ores then be my guest.

Oh and Earth crystals are sometimes an issue if you plan on upgrading rusted weapons.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys normally play solo or online?

Playing online is fun! I'll play with pubs, even if they suck. I only have problems with people being dicks to other players.

If I can't find a room for a particular monster or quest, like an urgent, then I'll just solo it.

Not sure how I'm going to tackle World. Think I'll solo the more important story related quests, like the new flagship, and play online for the rest.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
While I will miss naming all my cats with cat puns, I do prefer having a cat I can customize throughout the game instead of going hunting for cats with random skills.

I do wish you had two cats though. But keeping that second slot open for befriending monsters and other cats is cool too. :3:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My bad pub experience in Tri:

Had my Alatreon Urgent. Tried soloing. I got decent at fighting him. Cut his tail, broke his horns, but could not do enough damage and timed out a couple times. So I made a room online.
Two randoms come in and join.
Me: ok, let's go!
Rando1: no let's wait for a 4th
Me: nah we got this
Rando2: no
Me: fine whatever
In comes some pub who immediately posts his own Alatreon urgent
Pub: help
Me: do my quest first and we'll help with yours
Pub: no, help
Me: forget him, let's just go
Rando1: no I want a 4th. how about you arm wrestle to see who's quest we join?
Me: what? no let's just go!
Rando1: no
Me: fiiine
I lose at arm wrestling and everyone joins pub's quest
Rando1: ok everyone ready?
Rando2: wait, let's sleep bomb him!
Rando1: great idea! *changes to sleep SnS*
At this point I'm so loving done so I decide to stock up on felvine bombs to gently caress with these guys.

Literally two minutes into the quest....
Pub: *carts*
Me: OMG are you serious....gently caress it *suicides*
Everyone quits
Pub leaves. Two randos berate me back at the hub for some reason.

I did finally manage to beat the quest, about three rooms later. A guy joined and one shot Alatreon.

The end.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I don't think Urgents won't be that big of a deal anymore in World. Since the single and multi player quests are merged. It will make it much easier to solo since you can just go offline. Or you can even send up a flare mid-quest to get some help instead of waiting around in an empty lobby. Plus upping the max to 16 players in a single lobby should help. Or maybe that will make thing worse, who knows lol.

I would like them to just have you clear it even if you didn't post the quest. As long as you have the urgent available.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It seems like it's kind of like Dark Souls where you essentially put your summon sign down and get pulled into someone's world when they request it.

Oh God sorry I brought up a Dark Souls comparison. :ohdear:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

Can't wait for all the reviews this time around. "Monster Hunter World is like Dark Souls mixed with Skyrim, and it's just too hard to be fun!"

https://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls/status/925836804493688832

You must have missed this gem of an article.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Speaking of communities, guilds are a thing now right? So we'll have a Goon Squad going I'm sure.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Given MHW's imminent (in monhun terms) release, is it worth it getting Gen or 4U? Which one is better for a solo experience considering multiplayer's prolly dead?

4U is the better game overall imo. Has an actual story and whatnot. Better monster roster. Less bullshit gathering quests.

Gen has styles/arts and prowler mode though, which are both fun. Neither will be in World though. Gen probably has a more active online population.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the pre-release hype videos, but abolishing the Blademaster/Gunner schism might be the greatest change ever? It was always such a hassle when trying to explore new weapon types with that silly arbitrary armor requirement.

I'm only at #5 and there's already so many game changers.

:yeah:

And it makes a lot of sense since you can change equipment at base camp mid quest now. They want people to be able to easily change weapons and equipment.

I'll miss how blademaster and gunner armor look different, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

BMan posted:

So does carrying a gun make your armor weaker or are gunners just going to be invincible?

Gunners take more physical damage and less elemental. Blademasters vice versa. It's tied to the weapons this time, not the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Now that you can change weapons midhunt, they wanted players to be able to freely change between melee and gunner weapons without having to worry about different armors for the two. So it makes perfect sense in that regard.

Like has been previously stated though, I will miss the different designs for gunner armor. :(

• Locked thread