Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Canta Per Me posts great videos, no doubt. I also have no doubt there are going to be people really good with GL too. It's not like "weaker" weapons are so truly terrible across the board as to be unsuable. Hell I'm sure someone will be using Striker Insect Glaive somewhere in this world.

What is wrong with Striker Insect Glaive?

I was sorta thinking of trying that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

IIRC you lose the A button combos. I know Striker IG's running joke is that even the official guide calls it bad or something. I'm sure there's a camp out there of people who love doing dps with the kinsect though who will find use of it.

woah

okay that sounds loving terrible.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

With this game being soo close I needed something to scratch the itch so I booted up MH4U. I didn't realize that right when I stopped playing I got to a Fatalis. That was my first time ever fighting one in a MH game - it was a blast.

I cannot wait to IG the gently caress out of everything in Generations. A Bug's Lyfe 4 eva.

:hfive:

IG 4 lyfe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know how anyone could use the IG considering it requires aiming with a thumbstick or worse, the n3DS nub. :(

Aiming is useless. You just angle your hunter and shoot when what you want to hit is in front of you.

Like, there's about three monsters in the entire game where it isn't easy to get the extracts you want just by default shooting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I can't recommend this enough, I used their apps for MH3U and MH4U (they used to publish as "daviancorp") and it changed my Monhun life. You can look up weaknesses and drop rates, key quests, plan your hunts by comparing weapon upgrade paths and the drops you need, build weapon and armor wishlists, even see what nodes in which zones to farm for certain mats. It's way easier to browse on your phone than any of the sites and of course it's a great option for plane/subway/etc travel. I probably sound like a shill but you really should download this.

I tried it and it doesn't list Great Jaggi in the list of large monsters.

0/10

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Jaggi armor is in MHGen, but that's via the smaller jaggi. The big guy isn't around this time. :(

this is some bullshit

also no Wroggi armor?????

goddammit gen you had 1 job

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 14, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

natetimm posted:

Hey guys how does the Nintendo eshop work with new releases? Will I be able to buy this midnight New York time here in CA digitally or do they release it at 10am like some Steam titles?

Midnight EST for most (and apparently this one for the UK at least).

If not it'll be 12pm EST tomorrow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Isn't a human with a full gathering set better than a prowler for gathering or is the gathering skill on cats that good?

Humans are easier to specialize (like you can't get a cat who will emulate the effects of special fishing lures for quite a while, though you can eventually) but Prowlers are totally fire and forget. You never need to buy nets/picks ever again and it feels amazing. Also gathering cats can be built passively and don't require any separate monster parts like building gathering sets does. Cats also move faster and have no stamina.

You can, and should, bring a human to fish for the low-rank quests that need poo poo like Brocadefish or Goldenfish but literally any other kind of gathering is better done by a cat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

As a bit of a completionist, I'm not a fan of all the prowler quests that are just "remember that thing you did? Now do the exact same thing, on the exact same map... But as a cat" :effort:

Especially since they lock poo poo like farms and food behind it.

Though my proudest moment of Generations so far was when I ran into Gyceperos on one of those mindless hunts and Catte-Team 6 took him down :america:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a list of all of the styles and their sacrifices? From the game it seems like Guild is 2 Hunter Arts and Striker is 3 but they're easier to charge. It seems like Guild is a pointless style unless I'm missing something. Also, Striker seems fun to have a mix of Arts to use all of the time but god drat if I don't love perfect dodging poo poo with Adept.

Striker is incredibly variable and tends to lose some important stuff.

Like IG loses the entire A-button. Also IG arts suck.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lynza posted:

My unabiding love of the hunting horn has made me feel like I'm cheating on it with the IG, but I loved the IG in 4U and I love it even more now that there's aerial style. It is so my poo poo.

Are any of the hunter arts for it worth a drat? The extract hunter thing seems like the only useful one so far.

Not really.

I've gotten some mileage out of Absolute Evade as a panic button. Nothing else is really worthwhile before you get to like tier 2 or 3

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

This game tried to make all weapons endgame-capable eventually, so go with whatever you think is cool.

Edit: Ahahaha, oh man, the game actually referenced Khezu's dick-like qualities. That got a laugh out of me.

Also, I need some help. Does anyone know what you need to do to get the trader to offer you the different bug jellies? Farming up speed jelly is boring, and I want to get started on a new glaive so I need a lot.

One of the Village 3 star prowler quests. The one from Neko (means "cat"")

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Fuuuuuuck Nieblesnarf.

Goddamn do I hate him, his stupid face and the fact I constantly jump over him with Aerial IG. :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NT Plus posted:

How do I change styles? Visiting the guy about them does nothing.

At the chest in your house where you change equipment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a trade-off. It means that your damage will suffer during the "everybody go nuts on the monster after it fell over" part of the mounting. Longsword loses its spirit slashes, for example, which are normally its most damaging attacks. You basically lose the ability to use your heaviest attacks with the same precision you could have gotten from the ground.

Unless you're IG where you only lose two lovely attacks and gain the ability to be a flying buzzsaw.

Aerial IG is so good :3:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a farm?

Yes. Its in the Palico Ranch run by Neko (Means "cat")

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So what's the ideal Prowler build then? Is it that boomerang build that GaijinHunter has on his channel? Just want to start moving towards a viable online Prowler build.

And if it is the boomerang build, what should be the base of it? A support palico right?

Fighting or support that has Piercing Boomerang/Big Boomerang as innate moves and most of the skills listed.

Fighting or Support depends on whether you'd rather do more damage or charge your gauge faster. You need one that has those skills innately because you can only inherit one move and one skill, and there are really good moves/skills that Fighting and Support types cannot learn inherently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cool thanks, what skills are those out of interest? Internet is really bad where I'm at right now so trying to find them online is bit of a challenge.

Boomerang Pro, Critical up (s) and Earplugs are the big ones.

Last Stand is another one with a huge DPS boost.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Now to make a murder cat, and get booted from every pub room I visit, least that's what I've heard the Prowler online experience is like.

Also, Mega Boomerang is useless and doesn't stack with the other two. You're specifically looking for Piercing (it'll be its second locked skill) and Big Boomerang (one of the random ones).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I've happily pubbed all the arena quests in previous titles but it's much easier with goons. Some of the goons are legendary in skill but always don't post here.

Goddamn I just did one prowler quest and it unlocked like five prowler gathering quests what the gently caress :(

Yeah, Prowler quests tend to gate a lot of poo poo.

They're also usually repeats of hunter quests at the same level with slightly lower requirements, which is such a loving bizarre design choice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Uh, maybe the monsters during a hunt-a-thon are just weak? The Daimyo Hermitaurs went down incredibly quickly too.

Ooh, I like this idea. Isn't the sword extremely weak though? 80 attack seems pretty bad even if it has 10 sleep.

Yeah, hunts with multiple monsters usually cut their HP down some.

Sorta like in the intro-stage where you're introduced to Mizutsune and have to hunt a Bulldrome, you can take that sucker out in like 45 seconds with a decent weapon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that I got some Water ammo from the supply box in the Tetsucabra mission. Are the last few items in a supply box random or do they have meaning to the mission?

They're all unique to the mission. You usually get bonus ammo the monsters are weak too, sonic bombs for the ones that burrow, nullberries if they use an element, cleanser if they throw poo poo at you, antidotes if they're poisonous etc.. That ends in HR where you stop getting anything but a map, so make sure to actually bring Hot/Cold drinks, healing items, whetstones, ammo, etc.

Its for this reason LR quests are good ways to stock up on some poo poo that can be annoying to craft (Tranq bombs/ammo) and why they don't give you real potions/whetstones/traps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Should I always be trying to aim for the head regardless of weapon, or is it still okay if I hit other body parts? I'm poo poo awful at positioning, and always end up hitting Tetsu's side or legs. I'm wondering if that's why it takes me so long to kill them.

Head usually (but not always) takes the most damage so for early monsters yeah. Plus most of them only have head breaks and they drop rare parts from them. If you break Tetsu's big tusks in particular he gets a lot less threatening since his rock balls get way smaller, he scoops slower and when he breaks them you don't stagger.

Later on Monsters get more breakable parts you will want to aim for, and being in front of/near their head can sometimes be stupid or impossible.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

If you mean in the entire series, I'd say MHFU Cephadrome. In Gen, uh, I dunno, Ceanataur has been the biggest pain in the rear end for me as a gunner.

Ceanataur is just obnoxious with its claws, breaking them is horrible. Also having various shells when one drops a rare material is just :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Nibelsnarf's only redeeming feature is that it makes the best cat costumes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

scissorman posted:

Can you capture monsters with the prowler?
I know there are skills to set traps but I have yet to see a skill that replicates tranqs.

Nope, no tranq skills. You can't take quests that require capturing a monster as a Prowler either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, you sort of need Aerial if you want mounting/IG to be a thing going forward. You can design arenas, but you limit your design space a ton if you have one weapon that can mount on command while everything else is up to the whims of monster AI wandering near convenient jutting rock #9832.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any monster that's more annoying to get red extract from than shogun ceanataur? As far as I can tell the only place that works is its claws. I straight up couldn't do it without using the pheromone shot, which is a first.

Nah, Ceanataur is the loving worst. I hate fighting that rear end in a top hat more than anyone else, and everything requires an absurd number of claws to craft.

IG is pain against him :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Why are all the gunner sets cooler looking than the blademaster sets? :smith:

Blademaster sets need to accommodate a bug/shield on the arm so they can't have cool arm pieces.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The IG one is the most :effort: thing like most of their HAs.

:(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
ABI

Always
Be
Insect Glaiving

Unless you're fighting Nieblsnarf, gently caress that dude and his low rear end hitbox you jump over all the time :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Does IG get anything worthwhile from the new styles or is it still the 'all-aerial, all the time' weapon since Striker is trash, Aerial is guild+ and Adept is meh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Skill question for you guys; if you have Mind's eye active does your weapon still lose more sharpness than normal on bits that would have caused you to bounce without it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I just hope we keep Charge Blade and Insect Glaive moving forward. I do worry if they do another Tri style reboot those two will be the first weapons cut especially if they get rid of mounting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

They should get rid of the bug stick and replace it with the dog from the concept art. Dogs > Bugs as far as companions go. The math checks out. :shittydog:

The IG is amazing and way better than shoving another lovely dog into a video game :colbert:

Also the Kinsects are adorable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You'll have to look up the information to confirm, but I'm pretty sure every style of Cat gets it's own unique perk now. I want to say Charisma gets vaults, Guard cats get Adept Guards, Stealing cats can... throw a third boomerang, maybe? Nevermind, don't trust me at all, but I know they all got some neat tricks and I hope it's enough to make a wider variety of builds viable.

Also the new Beast Mode skill which gives the cat a better melee attack set and damage. Also makes them slash with their paws :3:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dreamy Souffle posted:

I'm another one who Capcom will have to pry Prowler from my cold, dead hands. It is incredibly satisfying to take down huge dragons as a bitty cat, please let me keep this.

A lot has been changed up! Unfortunately it seems like they gave the demo cats subpar abilities again, so it's a little hard to judge strength on that front. But here's what we do know from the demo and magazines:

- Some biases now have perks akin to the hunter styles. Fighter type gets the aerial launch when enraged, Protection gets the adept guard, Bomber cats get an adept evade that also drops a bomb, etc.

- It sounds like they've adjusted the ability gauge to overall build a little faster?

- The forward dash attack (the one with the weapon pointed forward and out) now does mounting damage. Folks have reported it taking about five-ish hits with this to mount a monster.

- Boomerang has been adjusted. Probably to encourage more aggressive, close up play: the range is shorter, and the second boomerang now has a curve to its trajectory. In exchange though you can now aim boomerangs, and Assist type biases get a third boomerang throw that is slower, but stronger.

- Beast bias/mode looks promising! Costs two points to use, lasts a while, and is apparently pretty easy to upkeep. (Presumably Beast bias gets a meter bonus from... being in beast mode, so.) It's got a mobile attack combo that'll send you all over though, so it's going to be a pain versus smaller monsters.

Prowlers are also getting new abilities! You can now roulette away abilities you don't want for something else by spending points. Which... isn't perfect, but it's kinder than what we've currently got. In the "oh my god, thank you" area, magazines have mentioned a farcaster ability as well as an ability that takes away an acorn, in exchange for a full heal and a full ability meter. In the "for fun" front, there's been mention/preview of a spiked ball attack, an attack where you drill out of the ground, etc. There's probably more I'm forgetting at the moment.

Bring back the crazy poo poo cats could do in 4U. I want my tank buddies back. :colbert:

Honestly, while I like Prowler a lot, I vastly preferred how cats were handled in 4U. A dedicated Ace palico sidekick you got to customize was fun compared to Gen where your first cat just sucks and should never be used. Also Palicos had cooler overall abilities like the tank and their other weird combos.

My dream would be to have a 'main' cat again in 5 that you can customize by assigning it other cats which give it an ability each so you can Prowler like now. Or failing at that at least let us search for looks and inclinations capcom :argh:

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hey, there are also Scythe and Spear insect glaives if you don't want Longsword.

Honestly some of the IG designs are weird as gently caress. Like the ones that are basically giant clubs but still cut for ???? reasons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think some kind of flail would be interesting. Especially if you were just swinging around a spiked ball as big as your hunter and could throw it to do sick jumps/dodges as it pulled you after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Just be patient, they generally wait a while to announce the western release. Same stuff happened with every other game since 4.

Not the best example since 4 never made it over and we've only had 4U and 'we swear there's no G version' Gen since then :v:

It'll probably come out at some point very late this year or next. Or it could take 16 months and we get it with a Switch port like 3U. Or any number of weird things!

• Locked thread