Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Wrist Watch posted:

In a video someone posted last thread, someone was using aerial greatsword and the initial jump seemed to be doing a slash during the initial hop onto the monster before they actually started air charging. Does aerial style actually do that or are they somehow attacking during their initial jump?

It was probably the draw attack, which for Aerial GS is a leaping slash that does mounting damage. As far as I know there is no way to attack during the initial Aerial hop for any weapon, you have to trigger the second jump. There are also no attack you can execute during a jump (with Aerial GS) before you begin a charge, the one hit, charged or no, is all you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It can depending on the kind of weapon you're using or if you're really building around doing elemental damage as a whole. Unless they've changed how it works for this version, for the most part you really don't want to use elemental weapons that are of the big,slow,heavy hitting(barring the Greatsword since i believe the bonus damage now multiplies up with charged up hits) type since the bonus damage you are getting off one hit is kinda negligible compared if you were using say a duel blade or SnS or even a gun that's getting multiple hits off at a time.

Then again i still woulden't entirely neglect them, since everybody is going to be starting all over again in a little while and if the only upgrade paths available to you are a sharp increase in damage+sharpness with some ice damage or whatever thrown on i woulden't say no :v:

To expand on this a bit, the general rule is as Hooly Booly says, faster=better when it comes to elemental. LS, SnS, DS, Lance, and IG can all do elemental focused builds right out of the box. However, there are ways of making other weapons work well with elemental damage.

-Great Swords gets a 1.3x modifier for elemental damage on charge attacks, so two ways to make elements work with GS are to use a Crit Draw+Elemental Crit set with Guild or Striker style and go for draw charges or to use an Elemental Atk Up set and go Aerial/Adept and focus on their speed charges.

-Hammer is probably the worst weapon to use since its charges do not get a multiplier for elemental damage, however it does have the very fast multi-hitting spin attack off a moving lvl 3 charge so you can get some decent use out of your elemental damage that way. Make an Exhaust+Element Atk focused set and just go for those body spins. This is extremely gimmicky.

-Hunting Horn is also not ideal due to slower attacks and no special bonuses. Basically if you want to focus on elemental damage find a HH with Elemental Atk Up and decent element and stack it with element focused skills. Adept style is probably best here since it allows for the most aggression and gives you that nice triple hit after the evade.

-Gunlance you can just use a Long or Wide type with Striker style and play it similarly to a Lance. Alternatively, you could take Wyvern's Breath+Load Up and do a Normal or Long type gunlance with Guild/Aerial/Adept and focus on getting as many bursts out as possible since Wyvern's Breath increases the innate fire damage shelling does by quite a bit.

-Switch Axe is as simple as taking an Elemental phial type and picking a hunting style that let's you focus on sword attacks (such as Striker or Aerial). Take the phial recharge hunting art and spam spam spam. You probably want an Elemental Crit set as the phial recharge hunting art gives you a hefty affinity boost as well.

-Charge Blade is similar, take an Elemental phial type. Then either do Aerial and just spam the aerial super bursts or go for ultra bursts and shield jabs with Guild or Adept. That second playstyle is kind of a neat changeup, since normally you want to use super bursts to preserve your red shield and focus on axe for your damage output. However with an elemental build you mostly do your damage in sword mode and go for ultra bursts (which just do crazy insane damage with Elemental phials) when you get the openings. I've seen some insane Elemental phial speed runs with Charge Blade.

The other caveat with elemental focused builds is you have to build completely around that element (the specific elemental+ skills, such as Fire Atk+2 etc, are extremely powerful due to flat+percentage scaling) and you have to know your hitzones more so than with a regular build. Elemental hitzones tend to be a lot stricter in terms of a good hitzone vs a bad one. A bad physical hitzone means you are doing like 20-40% damage, whereas a bad elemental hitzone could easily have you doing literally 0 damage. So it tends to be a bit to a lot more work to use an elemental build vs just doing a regular build that may happen to have some elemental damage as a bonus and even after all of that there's no guarantee you will be more effective. However, if you can make it work they can be extremely powerful and stylish and give you a nice change of pace.

Your Computer posted:

What exactly is improved with the bow? I just tried the bow in the tutorial (Adept Style) and after some settings fenagling (Bow Controls Type 2, Bow Aim Mode Cancel Manual) it owned pretty hard :stare:

Power Shot (the second quick shot you can get off after a regular shot) used to be only on specific bows instead of universal. Additionally, Adept style is incredibly powerful for Bow, which often had to run Evasion skills due to it's mid/close range positioning (getting hit in gunner armor is a bad time). With Adept you get your free super evade and on top of that you get an instant level 3 charge so it's just bonkers. Bow was one of the slower killing weapons in basically every previous MH (although there was a super cheesy bow build in MH3U and 4U Power Shot bows were decent) but MHGen bow is at the top of the charts.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 15, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Lastgirl posted:

only in adept. Aerial has no power shot

Guild style is at the whim of the bow's shot type, so if a bow is normally arc, you get arc in Guild style. You get adept style, it's a power shot bow now

I think striker is the same as guild, at the whim at the bow's shot type, not sure

Naw this is incorrect. All bows in Gen have Power Shot in Guild and Adept style (it's just that in Adept you can skip directly to the Power Shot with A since Adept does not have Arc Shots). Striker does not have Power Shot and is therefore pretty garbage, although Striker does retain the neat little double backhop into instant level 3 charge from Guild.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Electric Lady posted:

So how do y'all like to get into it? Do you start slow and do village? Or go straight into online?

I got my Amazon preorder yesterday so I got to do both. I did all the 1-star village quests and got a good gathering ground going. Then, I played online and farmed Great Maccao with strangers. Destroyed some Bulldromes in like a minute too. Was fun! Not sure whether I want to do Village or go straight into Guild first.

Does anyone have any idea what I'd be missing going straight into Guild? Any ingredients, anything like that?

Also, DLC just went up today, right? I tried to get on there last night and got an error.

Village has all (or most of them) the level 1 and 2 Hunter Arts and a lot of the food and trading stuff. It's almost always worth it to cruise through Village. The way I do it is I do Village when I have a bit of time here and there and then whenever my friends are on we go do Guild together. You generally want to balance them out but focusing on one over the other isn't going to absolutely screw you like in MH4U where you couldn't fight Apex monsters without completing the Village.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Mortimer posted:

Bows feel real bad in this one. I've got focus/weakness exploit/attack up M with 2nd rank teostra bow and still manage like 8 minute solo hunts. Hammer/LS/HBG times are half that.

Bow requiring stamina to attack is another dumb thing, you actually have to pay attention to your stamina bar because if you get a stamina status effect or attack one too many times, you can't roll. Status especially, my first run out I got a frozen effect from lacgombi and didn't have nulberries. It meant I couldn't attack because the stamina bar drained full to zero in a single charge.

I'm glad bow has at least one intricate thing about it, because the rest of the gameplay is keeping at critical distance and holding r and pressing a over and over until the thing dies.

:shrug: Unless you really love bows or are absolutely insane (and japanese) at adept dodging every single attack, bows are not a great weapon. The speedrunners drop focus and rely entirely on adept dodging to charge which is ultra high risk high reward but that's how you do it I guess.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I realize I'm in "SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!" territory but come on man! Bows in every previous game (barring the Kelbi bow silliness in Tri) were near the bottom of the kill-time pile if not at the very bottom and now they are at the top. Bows have only gained moves (backhop->backroll->instacharge, power shot on all bows) and effects (more coatings, styles, hunter arts) so how on earth do they "feel real bad in this one", which implies they felt good in other games, when in older games they were both absolutely and relatively weaker. I understand it's your subjective opinion but have some perspective, objectively they are good now whereas before they were objectively bad (in the context of weapon performance compared to other weapons, all weapons are generally viable in MH games).

Furthermore (:goonsay: I know), to say that "the speedrunners" are dropping focus and relying entirely on adept charging is flat out wrong. Top clear times generally barely give the monster an opportunity to attack, let alone attack in a way that allows for constant adept dodging.

It's fine to say "I don't like bows" but plenty of non "MLG Pros" are having a great time with the weapon because it is objectively better than it ever has been by any metric that matters in MH.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ethiser posted:

Is it wrong that that reason I like Gunlance so much is that I can shoot my gun into the air at the end of quests to celebrate?

Also what is the point of Long Gunlances? I see why you might want Normal or Wide but Long doesn't seem to offer anything I don't get better from the other two types.

Extremely broadly: Normal is for full bursts, Wide is for charged shelling, and Long is for Wyvern Fire and poking. Long also has arguably the best regular shelling, it's long and narrow so it hits quite a ways out past your lance but doesn't blast everyone in a 10 foot radius like Wide. Finally Long has the...well...longest red gauge so it's comparatively easier to lock in red, which of course is very useful given its focus on pokes. An interesting fact is that due to Long having higher shelling damage than Normal, a Load Up full burst with a Long style gunlance is extremely competitive with a Load Up Normal full burst (it's something like a 5% damage difference). Of course if you use the Wyvern's Breath HA Normal pulls heavily ahead again due to the bonus damage being per shell. Still, if you are using a 1-Art style and using Blast Dash or something, you can do a full burst focused playstyle with Long and do just as much damage as Normal with all the benefits of Long type shells. Which is very convenient given that Aerial and Adept both have an emphasis on full bursts.

I actually prefer Long for Aerial because you can shell in the air and hit the monster much easier (and for more damage) and then land and burst or go right into pokes, whereas with Normal you pretty much always want to go straight for the slam->burst. It's also a lot harder to gently caress up and overheat with Long which is a big boon with Aerial style. Plus your Wyvern Fire is stronger and guess what style lets you easily disable the monster? The final bit of coolness is that the Tamarod Sedition is one of the best Long lances and the Seregios auto-sharpen characteristic synergizes extremely well with Aerial style. It's fun fun fun!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think i'm in love with Astalos :allears:

His music is awesome, he looks cool and armor weapons are just badass looking.

The skill on his armor Crit Chase i think it's called, from the looks of the description,sound like it'd be good for weapons that are super fast because the increase of affinity with every hit? I wanna use it with my bug staff.

Chain Crit is a really solid skill. The way it works is that it triggers on hit and then increases with subsequent hits within a fairly generous window to the max. If you miss or stop track for a bit it resets and it has a short cool down. It starts at 25% and increases to 30% over the next 5 hits so it is a pretty hefty boost.

With several weapons (DS being the kings but IG is right up there) you can nearly instantly max it out, so it effectively becomes Crit Eye +3 for half the points.

His armor is alright, Stam Recov is a solid skill and in particular quite useful with Aerial style. Stun resist is pretty whatever but it will save you from a cart every now and then. Having a good charm that lets you get Crit Boost or Elemental Crit would be the best way to use it, or just going for straight up Attack.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

:hf:

Astalos is the best Fated Four. Also, his armor and insect glaive together decimates pretty much anything weak to lightning in LR. Mizutsune and Rathalos barely take about ten minutes. That skill really encourages rapid attacks, and the IG (Aerial especially) kicks it up instantaneously. Especially when the weapon already has good affinity.

I'm totally there with you on your enthusiasm (Astalos is fkn sweet) but this is one thing I think it's good to talk about briefly. When a weapon has good affinity, it almost always pays for that with lower than average raw (with a few exceptions). Affinity is a multiplier for your base raw, so when a weapon has good affinity it is actually much more efficient to stack raw attack boosts (conversely, when a weapon has high raw, affinity becomes more valuable).

The chief exception to this is if you are going for a crit based build where you are utilizing skills such as Critical Up (Crit Boost), Elemental Crit, etc, which add additional scaling to your crits. Outside of that though, it's basically always better to pair high natural affinity with Attack increasing skills and high natural raw with Affinity increasing skills. There's always caveats (having a Hunting Horn with Atk Up increases the value of raw by a lot, etc) of course. Hopefully I'm not mathing up your hunting high too much but I thought it was a good thing for people to be aware of.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

enojy posted:

Man, I fought deviant Nargacuga way more times than I'd ever want to to make its Rare X set, only to find out that Evade Dist is a lovely waste of an armor perk, and that the set kinda upgrades like poo poo compared to the Rare 4(?) Ceanataur S set I'm currently using -- wtf? Is kiranico wrong? If not, the fully upgraded set has something like 200 less defense, and eh.

So now I'm back to the armor grind to get the Shinobi Sky set for Adept Long Sword. At least the deviant Nargacuga set looks really cool, in a "Bleach meets Ninja Gaiden" kind of way.

The Silverwind armor set is extremely, extremely good but it takes a specific playstyle to use it. First off you need a natural white sharpness weapon with decent raw and some affinity to take advantage of it's Crit Eye+3 and Crit Boost skills. So the Silverwind weapons themselves, regular Narga, Seregios, etc. Then you can't really use Adept with it, since Evade+2 is a dead skill with Adept and Evade Dist is mostly useless. On top of all of that, it has extremely low defense (60 less than the Ceanataur S at max rank). However, once you've met those equipment and style conditions and are capable of using Evade+2 to avoid most hits, it is one of the top tier sets in the game. Crit Eye+3 combined with Crit Boost is a huge damage increase on max rank gear. Evade+2 and Evade Dist Up are extremely strong defensive skills. Getting all of that on one set is really hard to do normally, you need a godly charm and Silverwind does it without the charm or weapon slots.

Still, the low Def values hurt it a lot if you aren't confident in your ability to dodge 90% of the attacks a monster throws at you. I think trying to use the deviant sets while ranking up isn't really the best, they are pretty materials intensive and are extremely gimped below level 6 when the combo skills activate. The easier deviants like Crimsonhelm, Snowbaron, etc might be alright but lvl 6+ quests for the harder ones are pretty intense, definitely end-game content. It's also best to use the deviant sets with a "self-contained" charm that has enough points/slots to activate a skill all by itself (or with a slot or two from your weapon) and most people probably haven't gotten a decent self-contained charm before end-game.

Rascyc posted:

As for armor meh it all sucks until HR6 or so. Just upgrade your LR armor as much as possible. If you want you can make the HR version of Bujubujabu or w/e you were wearing in LR. You can make the HR version of ceanataur if you want and that's pretty good but it's a pain when all the Rathalos variants are opening up in HR6.

If you take a lot of hits though I always tell my more casual friends to make Tetsucabra HR because it's a tank in defense.

Eh, I had a lot of success making the Maccao S armor when I hit HR (Lagombi S is a really solid alternative). You can get Airborne, Mounting Master, and KO with just a slotted charm, which is a really solid set for Aerial hammer or charge blade (Impact Phial), both of which are super fun and strong. Conveniently, the Maccao hammer and charge blade are super easy to get to max rank, where they have above average raw, a decent chunk of blue sharpness, and two slots, making them super solid for getting through early/mid HR. So you get to be all fashionable and have your weapons and armor match. Everything is easily acquired at early HR and having the combined utility of mounts + KO's is extremely amazing for carrying your friends or randoms through High Rank as you can keep the monster CC'd for extended periods of time all by yourself.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 31, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Fuzz posted:

Am I dumb for focusing on the Hidden Breaker as my hammer line? Good sharpness, looks awesome, and has high affinity and high raw. Seems like a no brainer, unless I'm missing something?

You can't really go wrong with Nargacuga weapons, they are rarely the best but almost always above average for whatever you are fighting. The only exception is maybe the GS, where the affinity is wasted on a Crit Draw set and the raw suffers for it. Even then, Crit Draw isn't the end-all-be-all of GSing anymore, due to how Aerial and Adept work. It's still never a bad skill for GS but you get a lot less use of it if you want to use either of those styles to their full potential. Anyways back on topic, Narga weapons are great. Only thing to keep in mind is Sharpness+1 or +2 is totally wasted on them and due to how affinity works you want to get raw boosting skills (like Attack) unless you are able to get Crit Boost.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Speaking of which, I asked earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer: is Knockout King worth it in MHG? I remember that in MH4U all it did was increase stun damage by 10%, which was basically nothing, and it didn't even stack with Felyne Slugger.

The problem with KO is that it maybe adds up to one extra knockout over the course of a fight, MAYBE, and is that worth a whole skill? Usually not. It is a bit more worth it in Gen because of SnS (and CB although that already was the case) emerging as a really solid KO weapon that relies on tons of small hits to get a stun. KO helps more when it's lots of small hits because you don't overkill the knockout as much. A big problem it had with regular Hammer is that the chunks of KO damage were so big that adding 10% was often just overkill and didn't get you a KO any faster. With the Gen changes those chunks often come in smaller pieces (SnS, CB, Aerial or Striker Hammer, etc). So you won't necessarily get more KO's with it but you will often get them faster. It's noticeable when you are playing Aerial style in particular, where having KO lets you get the knockout within the knockdown window more reliably. That's the main draw of the Maccau set, the synergy between mounting and KO.

dragon enthusiast posted:

so I went and fought a silverwind :stonklol:

He's really one of the easier ones too, Dreadking and Dreadqueen are fuckin assholes goddam.

Squidtentacle posted:

Just beat the LR Nakarkos urgent. I think I have a new favorite elder dragon. Such a loving ominous atmosphere, especially when he rages out and the music just stays the same. It's an incredibly unique fight already.

And goddamn I want all of his weapons. I don't care of they kinda suck!

His alternate HR weapons are really good actually, so there's no harm in grabbing the boney bones now and then just switching them over once you start doing HR Nakarkos.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So a couple things re: lorechat. Keep in mind Monster Hunter is not Dark Souls and hasn't historically had that same connection between item descriptions and concrete lore. Item descriptions tend to run the gamut from being concrete and factual to tongue-in-cheek and humorous to allegorical to mythological. It's very hard to assign any definite history or event to them that isn't completely speculative. Additionally, the world of Monster Hunter has always been presented as a fundamentally natural one. The seemingly improbable powers of the monsters tend to all have rational explanations, such as Zinogre's electricity being generated by the swarms of Thunderbugs that surround it. The elder dragons are only supernatural inasmuch as their abilities are not fully understood, due to how rare they are and how catastrophic their power is.

As for Fatalis, Monster Hunter began as a relatively European fantasy style setting. Kokoto was a dumpy little peasant village while Minegard Town was a fortified castle. MH1 also had much more of a "survival" feel to it, using the resources of the world and the beasts that inhabited it to cobble together gear and equipment. Everything you wore or used, you went out and gathered or hunted the pieces for. This can be seen in the designs of many of the early MH weapons and armor, which is very clearly rooted in the monster it came from, as opposed to equipment in subsequent games, which is often designed more to invoke the monster rather than look literally created from actual pieces of it. To put it another way, the world of Monster Hunter has become more fanciful and stylized as the series has progressed. Fatalis is a relic of that first game. Up until you fight Fatalis in MH1, everything is completely rationally explainable. Rathian has a poisonous stinger in her tail. Rathalos generates fire from a gland. Diablos uses its powerful claws and armored frame to burrow through the sand. Lao Shan Lung is really loving big but that's about it. The designs were also much more reminiscent of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, rather than mythological ones. Then Fatalis shows up, heralded as the ultimate badass. And there he is, a straight up European style dragon who is doing unexplainable poo poo like summoning meteors from the sky and who has apparently laid waste to a kingdom. It was a pretty powerful culmination to the game, it really made you feel like "whoa, there is some poo poo going on here I just do not understand". He also fit right into the first games more European aesthetic. Finally, he was cool because the lore surrounding Fatalis is what first hinted at a lot of the backstory we now know, about the Wyverians and the war between humanoid civilization and the elder dragons.

The reason that Fatalis is still portrayed as this "ultimate badass" also has a lot to do with how the games have progressed. In the first two generations, monsters just kept the same settings and item descriptions. So despite the addition of a ton of other monsters up through MHFU, Fatalis was still hanging out in Castle Schrade and still described as some kind of unknowable natural disaster despite having been around for like 5 games now and having gained two new variations. At least when he showed up in 4 he had switched things up a bit! Monster Hunter has always been an incredibly self-referential series as well. In many ways new MH releases are more akin to content patches for an MMO rather than what we traditionally think of as sequels to a game series.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

katkillad2 posted:

I got a +8 attack 3 slot talisman while charm farming, how much better can a pure attack talisman get? After way too many runs trying to get that bow talisman it's nice to get something good.

Attack caps out at +10 so you got pretty close to the max. It's a great charm, with a 2 slot weapon you have Atk M just from your charm and weapon which is a big deal.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

The Moon Monster posted:

I kinda wish they had made Frenzy Res a decoration only skill or rolled it into biology. Seeing it on armor feels like a complete waste (Thunderlord Armor!). I guess the only time it's useful is if you're using the frenzy art or on the 7 or 8 missions against the magalas.

Frenzy Rez is actually a pretty cool skill because it is budgeted extremely cheaply but if you are fighting a Magala or take the Frenzy Pill art it is 30% affinity which is a hefty chunk (equivalent to Crit Eye +3). It's a 10 point skill that conditionally gives you a 20 point skill (like Peak Performance, Crisis, etc) but it is a bit unique in that it has a 3-slot 5-point gem (usually those skills have 2-slot 3-pointers which are slightly less efficient). Losing a Hunter Art is a pretty big opportunity cost but 30% affinity is almost always a DPS gain over a regular Art, it's a big boost.

As an aside I normally completely ignore Latent Power since it has annoying conditionals but the Thunderlord armor stacks things so much that it's kinda neat. Marathon Runner + Constitution+2 is already busted (and extremely hard to achieve normally due to jewel conflicts) and when Frenzy Res + Latent Power trigger you get 80% affinity and effectively infinite stamina. Since healing horns actually work in this game due to double notes (not to mention healing cats) you can actually get Latent Power to trigger by just playing risky (which the extreme stamina efficiency encourages) and not spend 50% of the fight chugging potions. It's pretty janky (and of course just using Dreadking or something would be simpler and probably more effective) but it's a lot of fun.

Skippy Granola posted:

I've nearly finished my HBG set that will give me load up, dead eye and normal up, but I need a Dead Eye +4 3 slot talisman due to decoration interactions - is such a thing possible or is Dead Eye budgeted too highly?

Dead Eye goes up to +5 on Timeworn charms so it's definitely doable. Here is the table with the skill point limits on charms if people are interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N7lqzdSzNl1o_W8JiYyQz_cXDXJEE_Ur4myI4Uf0F7E/htmlview?sle=true#gid=649773752

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

The main thing about Aerial SA is that, in sword mode, your vault automatically counts as an attack, and you can still do an attack in the air. It's the only weapon, I think, that automatically attacks when vaulting.

Aerial SnS and Dual Swords (when you are in Demon or Archdemon mode) also have automatic attacks on the way up. Additionally, almost all of the Aerial weapons have the ability to get multiple hits while airborne, although those three are the only ones that get the automatic swing I believe. I think SA feels so good at it because of the range and speed it has, it's very easy to connect both swings. I haven't looked into any numbers on the mounting damage values but it's quite possible that SA has really good ones (or that sword mode gets a bonus) as well, since anecdotally it feels faster than almost any other weapon at mounting.

As an aside, one cool thing about Adept SnS is that all of it's Adept counter moves also do mounting damage. It's definitely slower at getting mounts than an Aerial style weapon but it can get one or two reliably. Aerial or Adept SnS using Deathprize, Exhaust Oil, and Shoryugeki is competitive with LBG as a CC bot and it's really fun.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Anybody got opinions on kinsects in MHG? I wanna make Highest Glaive to run support.

If you want to play support then Balanced is the way to go. The Balanced kinsect has the Wide-Range skill which applies all your basic extract buffs to all allies in the area. So red gives +raw, white gives +10% affinity, and orange gives +defense (I forget the exact numbers for red and orange, +5/+5 maybe). Green also heals your entire party. Then on top of that you have the utility of mounting and paralyzing the monster. Hunting Horn and SnS are still the kings of support but a Balanced kinsect IG isn't half bad at it. You are pretty severely nerfing your damage with Highest of Glaives though, 140 raw is basically Low Rank in terms of damage. You'll be worth about half of a proper damage dealer but if you have good teammates your utility should make up for it.

On a damage focused glaive Speed 1 is the top tier, then Balanced, then Power 1. Speed 1 gives you by far the most damage from your glaive attacks: 30% affinity vs 10% from the other bugs, plus it boosts the percentage-based Def bonus you get from double/triple-up. It also allows you to refresh your red+white double-up which can be really useful. Balanced has the utility of wide range and the ease of use of triple-up extender. Power 1 gives you additional red duration which is pretty meh, however it also increases the Atk Up effect of red from +5 to +15 which is a hefty amount (due to how much free affinity is floating around and the game capping out at High Rank, flat raw is more powerful in Gen than it was in 4U). The Power 1 kinsect also does a LOT of damage due to having a 20% power boost and fast charge. It's way more gimmicky than the other two but weaving in bug attacks can be pretty powerful, particularly with Striker or Adept style.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 13, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
No I believe some testing was done and the buffs actually apply to everyone (contrary to GHunters video). That's anecdotal however, I haven't double checked myself.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I have sunk about 200 hours into Gen so far, the vast majority of that at HR unlock and I am way more gated by heavy armor spheres than by any rare piece. MH4U was worse in that regard however. I vastly prefer the new system, in fact I'd be happy with a further marginalization of armor spheres.

The final tier of spheres is always obnoxious to farm specifically for when compared to monster parts. They have a low chance across a wide spectrum of end game quests and are probably intended to accrue naturally over time as you do stuff. They gate the final couple tiers, which aren't optional (unlike the absolute final upgrade) for endgame sets.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Rascyc posted:

Go kill Nakarkos in five minutes and get your spheres. But yeah that part sucked too.

Specifically it seems the S series of armors have it the worst with gems. R series just seem to require a hyper part which can range from dirt easy (Rathalos hyper scales) to mildly annoying (hyper pyroshell).

I've killed a lot of Nakarkos (I've made 7 of his weapons and maxed out his Blademaster set), it's not enough. Nothing is enough...my hunger for Heavy Armorspheres is unending.

thorsilver posted:

In practice they're not show pieces at all though, that much defence makes a large difference at endgame. Until I got those gems I regularly got kicked from endgame hunts in MHX as a gunner, and it was common for rooms to kick for less than 600 defence for Blademasters too.

That's why I find the new system annoying, in MHX the grind for armour was far worse than 4U because it was expected that any set you bring to deviant quests or Alatreon or whatever was fully maxed out, and a lot of good sets require rare drops. Really sucks as a gunner where you need different sets for each gun too!

This is one of the reasons I got really into Prowler -- basically no gear grind at all!

Rascyc posted:

I use a 550 and a few 500 def sets and I have yet to be kicked fwiw. Even when I started after HR break in like 415 los+hayabusa I was surprised at how few times I was kicked.

Mh4u was a lot worse about def kicking so far for me.

I use several sets that rely on Gunner helmets so I routinely tool around at 540 Defense or so and I've never had a problem with kicking. Really all you need as a Blademaster is 500, everything past that is just padding. There's nothing in this game that's really hard enough to require maxed gear like 140 GQ's did. There might be an attack or two (Amatsu's vortex, Nakarkos' beam, etc) that can one shot you but they're all heavily telegraphed and relatively easy to avoid. That's probably part of the reason I prefer this system, I feel much less pressured to max sets out. I hated that MH4U not only needed maxed sets but hid the necessary armorspheres away in Guild Quests.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Junkie Disease posted:

Its good that there is no clue in game

I'm not going to say it's a good thing but if you want to understand how basically anything works in Monster Hunter you need to do a fuckload of research. I've been playing this series since day one and I still learn new things about the game all the time. A lot of stuff is explained in game but it may as well not be since it's hidden away in obscure-rear end menus and not elaborated upon at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

But Fashion Hunter is important! :(

Fashion Hunter is the most important but there is a lot of fun to be had in balancing fashion and function. Having played both WoW/D3 and MH, I have to admit there is something to be said for the MH system of "you get what you get" in terms of skills and looks on armor. Making a great looking set that also works amazingly feels awesome and is something that you lose with an out-and-out transmog system. That being said, the Deviant system is really cool for encouraging people to use full sets, which is something that has been missing from the endgame of Monster Hunter. It helps that the Deviant sets basically all look incredible.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Kiggles posted:

This is especially rewarding with Greatswords - most hits from a gs will proc status effects
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/greatsword/teostra-blade
With 45 blast and the element bonus from charged greatsword attacks, this thing is basically guaranteed to loving explode on the first hit.

It's not the "best", but hosed if it isn't the best.

In MH4U I had a critdraw/focus/quicksheathe/bombardier/status crit(status+2 doesn't affect blast but status crit does) that used the G-rank version of the Teo GS and it was amazing. Was pretty fashionable too. The first 3-4 hits were guaranteed blast procs and they kept coming fast and furious after that.

Txn posted:

Can anyone recommend me a Switch Axe? I'm currently using the chameleos one but I'm stuck at 130 raw with no way to upgrade it, and the HR6 monsters are taking too long to kill. :(

I'll mention the Aksa Switch (Seregios) again, it's extremely solid even in LR and the hyper upgrade (Seditious Axe->Baraq Sedition) is probably the best Aerial SA in the game and top 3 overall. I can't recommend it enough for Aerial style, the Seregios auto-sharpen mechanic makes it's naturally high sharpness last much longer than the bar would suggest when you are hopping constantly.

Honestly the Seregios Blademaster weapons are even better in this game than they were in 4U (and they were good in that game). The Gunner weapons got gutted pretty harshly, although the HBG is decent, but the BM weapons are just incredible for Aerial style and solid in general. Large natural white (especially with how much evades extend it), good balance of raw and affinity, and 2 slots. There's not a bad weapon among them and they look excellent to boot.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

Hey if any of you want sick art of the Generations flagships and their associated equipment, this guy's done great pictures for all four of them.

http://ninesicks.tumblr.com/tagged/monster-hunter

Looks like he just finished today.

This art triggers me because he didn't follow their neat convention of oppositional eye color to theme color. Instead they all have red eyes except for the Glavenus armor which has blue. At least make them all red! 0/10.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does a monster burn through their stamina faster in rage mode? I read that flash bombs will make Nargacuga rage and wondered why I would want to do that.

Aside from the aforementioned reasons, the main reason you would want to sonic Narga is that if you sonic him while he is in his "ready stance* before he does his multi-pounces, he will fall over. He rages afterwards but it's a great way to get a free knockdown and a good player or group will be doing enough damage that he will just be perma-raged anyways.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah, the monsters in the hub are roughly scaled for two hunters. So they should be taking you about twice as long. They don't hit harder or anything.

Actually monsters in the hub do hit harder, for example a LR Hub Yian Kut Ku on the Local Threat quest hits about 10% harder than a Village one. It's a bit more complicated than just Hub vs Village though, each quest actually has specific monster stats for that quest. For instance the V3 Stomping Grounds YKK hits harder and is harder to stagger than the V3 Into the Wyvern's Den YKK, on top of obviously having more hp due to it being a single vs multi-monster quest. The modifiers are listed on Kiranico at the bottom of the monster page, here's the Yian Kut Ku one for example: http://mhgen.kiranico.com/monster/yian-kut-ku (check out Hyper Investigtion, the solo Hyper YKK. Yup, 3x damage.)

Pollyanna posted:

So it's :gitgud: then. :sigh: Gonna have to get used to 2 frame evades and memorization, then.

The strict and stiff controls have been fighting me the whole time I've been playing, too. Feels like I'm playing Dark Souls on an N64.

It's really not too bad to solo Guild stuff, although it is certainly harder than the Village. Memorization helps a lot but don't try to get used to i-frame evasion without using Adept Style or Evade+1/+2. A vanilla Monster Hunter evade is nowhere near a Dark Souls evade in terms of i-frames and it will just lead to frustration. The most important tip I can give for soloing stuff in a timely manner is to learn how to optimize damage. You don't need to be taking risks if you are able to be precise about how and when you hit the monster. Hitting a weaker area on a monster can triple or quadruple your damage compared to just slashing away at its flanks. Use resources like Kiranico or Ping's Dex to find vulnerable areas (or intuition but that can be hit or miss). Items can help a lot as well but I would recommend being good about Meownster Hunter and the trader if you are using a lot of items, you should never have to gather for item materials once you have them going. Other than that just keep grinding away and you will keep getting better.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zmej posted:

Anyone have any tips for setting up traps? I just wasted 40 min on a hunt (some rear end in a top hat named Duramboros) and I keep getting told by friends "USE TRAPS" but no real pointers.

99.999999999999% of hunt-speed problems can be solved by knowing how and where to attack the monster. The how is a combination of knowing the monster's openings, knowing your weapon's moves, and using equipment (traps, bombs, etc). You can get a handle on the how just by playing the game, although there are plenty of guides out there if you want to do some research. The where, which is literally referring to which part of the monster you hit, requires out-of-game knowledge but is hugely important. Hitting a monster in the wrong area (let alone with the wrong element) can literally cause you to do a tenth (or more) of hitting it in a weak area with the right attacks and element.

For instance, Duramboros takes by far the most damage on his humps, especially once they've been broken. The next best place to hit him is his hind legs (unless you are gunning, then it's his tail). That gives you a pretty straightforward plan of attack, hit him in the legs until you can hit him in the humps. Now we can apply some monster and game knowledge. If you stagger Duramboros' legs by hitting them while he is doing his ballerina spin, he'll fall over and give you a perfect chance to hit his humps. This can be pretty tricky with melee weapons however, so there are some other tricks we can pull out. A pitfall trap will lower Duramboros enough that his humps become easily accessed (whereas a shock trap won't). Additionally, a mount or a KO will also knock him over and give you access to the humps. Put all that together and you should be able to take care of him much quicker.

I didn't talk about elements in there (Duramboros is very weak to fire) because I like to stick to raw weapons before endgame. An elemental weapon can be extremely sub-optimal for a fight whereas a raw weapon will always just work. That's a personal choice but be aware that hitting weak areas becomes even more important when you are using elemental weapons, because elemental hitzones tend to be much more binary than physical ones.

As for where to find out hitzones, I personally prefer to use Ping's Dex (https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmhxdex) because it has nice pictures and diagrams but kiranico (http://mhgen.kiranico.com/) or one of the infographics floating around will do just fine as well.

Monster Hunter is a game where if you don't do your homework, poo poo is going to take a long rear end time. You can certainly play it without any out-of-game knowledge but I really, really don't recommend it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Flython posted:

Some good advice there. Man I love Arzuros and was super glad to see him get a subspecies in generations. You can keep your elder dragons and gods, I just want a really big bear.

Some quick questions about adept. Does it just totally obsolete dodge+ and does reloading after a dodge with a LBG provide anything more than minor +damage to the next few shots?

As far as we know, Adept is not affected by Evasion+1/+2 (although Evade Dist works for the regular roll and may also give you a longer Adept roll/run). Reloading after an Adept evade gives you a...10% damage boost if I recall correctly, might be 20%. Lasts for something like 10-15 seconds afterwards. The main reason to go Adept with LBG is for the safety the evade provides, the reload/run are just nice extras.

cancerianmoth posted:

I never did much tail cutting in 4U. I played with friends most of the time and I used mainly HH or Hammer. Jumping into Gen, I never realized how satisfying, if not more so, it is to cut off tails. I've been using CB and its just so much fun.

CB talk: I guess artillery isn't really needed if you never use the explody function of it? I use adept style and just red shield and wail with my axe until I need to recharge. Part of me says to keep artillery bc optimally I should be blocking much better with red shield- which gives off an explosion. Is that block boom based off of how many phials I have filled? Also, is it just me or does CB lack a lot of options for weapons. DB, HH, and even Glaive have more options than CB currently (V5/HR2)

Gammoth is probably the monster I fear the most in Gen. You don't get much from staying near his rear, but being in his face will get you snowball crushed. I find Astolas ? a fairly easy fight. I still have to go up against bubble fox lizard and another Glavenus that wasn't the one I killed that apparently was a giant HP wall.

Artillery is good (just need Novice for CB as was mentioned) but you don't really need it, especially with Adept CB. It shines with Aerial CB where you will be spamming aerial supers with no shield charge. As you say though, with Adept you are doing a lot of your damage with non-phial attacks. It's still a fine skill and it's only 5 slots for Novice so might as well get it if you can, but don't stress it.

The phial explosion you get from a block is just based on being in red, it's pretty weak off a regular block, a bit stronger off a guard point. You also get an explosion with the shield thrust in red shield, as well as the draw slash after charging your phials. They are all weaker than axe mode bursts but they add up, especially with Elemental phial CB's.

CB and IG, being the newest weapons, definitely have less choice available than basically everything else. They are pretty even between themselves though, around 55-60 final form weapons each.

Yep, you can do the same thing with Evasion+1/+2 as well, which is the foundation for the Stylish Bombing school of SnS hunting. You also can vault off Bombs with Aerial style but you need Evasion+1/+2 or else the bomb will hit you after the vault.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

Cat cart trading.

Unrelatedly, man Nakarkos's HR fight is cool. And so is the equipment; I like the Astral set a little less than the Skeletal set in aesthetics, but both of them have pretty interesting skill sets. Having a set focused on doing more damage when you're hurting and one that seems focused on frequent and stronger Hunter Arts is really cool.

I'm realizing I'm really stacking on the dragon weapons, though. Between Nakarkos, Death Stench, some insect weapons, and Gore Magala, I have way more dragon-element weapons than I do pretty much any other element. They just look way too cool.

Nakarkos Astral gear is my favorite so I am going to write an effortpost on it!

Let's start with the Astral (rarity 7) weapons. Nakarkos weapons are not the best. They will never be the best in any situation with the possible exception of the gunlance and maybe the bowguns. However, they have one very unique property: They have more loving blue than the goddamn ocean. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had to actually sharpen a Nakarkos weapon and I hunt with them a lot. They do have a little dragon element but it's basically just for looks, don't try to build an elemental set around a Nakarkos weapon (possibly excepting the ranged weapons). Their strength lies in the fact that you can ignore the sharpness mechanic (and any related skills) altogether, allowing you to stack some hefty offensive skills instead. Couple that with good raw and two slots and they are never a bad choice. The ranged weapons obviously do not have the sharpness advantage but they are all very good weapons in their own right. The LBG has amazing raw and low recoil coupled with good shot types (It's an awesome pierce LBG with the ability to rapid l2 dragon shots as well). The HBG has a great loadout of shots as well as good raw and three slots. The Bow has the distinction of being the only natural Pierce L5 bow and has Heavy L5 as well with Load Up, along with a good coating selection and a respectable amount of Dragon element.

While the weapons are interesting, my favorite piece of Nakarkos equipment is the Astral armor. Visually, it's amazing, which is obviously the most important. It has great recolor options. It has 5 single slots, which is decent. The most interesting thing about it however, are the skills. Combining Chance and Insight makes it the premier Striker armorset if you want to wear full-sets. Insight is pretty straightforward, I believe it's a 25% increase to the rate that your Hunter Arts charge. Chance is the interesting skill. What Chance does is that whenever a monster is disabled, via trap, knockdown, KO, para, or sleep (flash bombs don't work but flashing a flying monster and thus gaining a knockdown does) you gain the "Chance" buff. It functions similarly to Peak Performance or Challenger, when it activates it gives you a glowy golden effect on your hand. This effect remains active for one minute. While you have the Chance buff active, it affects your Hunter Arts in different ways depending on the Art. First off, it increases the damage and/or duration by 20%. It then further interacts with several arts in a unique way. Absolute Evade/Readiness will trigger two completely invulnerable evades, allowing you to cover and incredible amount of distance while completely invulnerable. Frenzy Fever will instantly proc the affinity buff. Lion's Maw and Demon Riot gain an additional 1.15x multiplier to their effects, Euphony gives you the effect of double note songs instead of single notes, Dragon's Breath gives you a 1.2x multiplier to shelling, Full House completes in half the time, and Gunpowder Infusion infuses 5 more shells. Some of these effects are incredibly powerful and you receive them all as long as the skill was activated while Chance was in effect. Since you can trigger it on demand via a trap or many other methods, you should almost always have it available for use with your Hunter Arts. Combine that with the faster charge from Insight and Striker style (and maybe a Variant weapon on top of that) and things can get pretty crazy. It's a ridiculously fun playstyle.

The best part about Nakarkos gear is that it's easy to get. Nakarkos is an easy fight that really lets you play in the sandbox in terms of what you bring to the fight. Soul Orbs are probably the easiest to obtain rare material with a hefty 15% chance off of mining his back as well as a 2% chance off his ridiculous amount of body carves. The only thing to watch out for is the cost of his final form weapons, they are rarity 7 and therefore extremely pricey. However if you are farming him you can go ahead and sell a lot of his parts as you will get way more than you need. It's a fun set of gear that let's you hunt in a very different way and I definitely recommend it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

new flagship looks duuuuuuuumb as gently caress

Look I hate the dumb Frontier spikes-on-everything designs as much as the next fantastical beast anatomy nerd but if you can't appreciate Jet Turbine Gore Magala then you can get the hell out :colbert:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

It is apparently a jet dragon with swords for wings too.

I love everything about this.

Also I really really really want to see Deviant Astalos's equipment, that blue color looks so sick on it.

I am extremely hyped for Deviant Astalos because my number one problem with the regular Astalos equipment is that the electric element hit animation is still blue. Finally I'll be able to use his cool rear end weapons without having my ocd constantly triggered!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

deadly_pudding posted:

If you dye his armor, it changes the color of the glowy bits.

I know but it's the weapons that are the problem! Not that they are really good enough to use much at endgame in Cross but that'll be fixed with a Deviant version as well.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

If by "good" you mean "good example of female armor being the better one". The male armor looks like it's covered in teeth and it gives me the willies.

The tent and bucket hat combo on the other hand is adorable and it's probably my favorite set in the series :3: yes that probably makes me a hypocrite

You will be happy to know that those absolutely are teeth on the shoulders and knees. Big ole Gammoth molars. Even happier is that the female set has them too, they're just smaller.Probably baby teeth from a Gammoth calf. There is no escape from the teeth. I hope this increases your enjoyment of the set.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

At least they're fashionable baby Gammoth teeth :colbert:

Fashion truly is agony.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Flython posted:

I'd say it's less that they change up the formula and more that the hunter has gotten so strong lately. Hunter styles and mounting trivialise the vast majority of encounters in the game, run with a full group of 4 and it's even worse. The tools at a hunters command have developed so much but they're still throwing monsters at us that are a decade old and barely tweaked to account for it. G Rank in Gen XX will help by punishing any mistake more severely but I think it's a more fundamental problem than that.

I really think another game like Tri is needed. Taking the roster and stripping out all but a few monsters and devoting some serious time to creating a new collection that can keep up with hunters as they currently are. I'm doom and glooming pretty hard here I guess and I do still have a ton of fun playing the games even though I've been doing it for 7-8 years at this point. I really don't envy Capcom at all, trying to satisfy both newcomers and veterans at the same time must be so difficult in a series like this.

Plus they need to bring back swimming.

Head-locking and flash-locking were way more egregious than anything currently in existence in 4U or Gen. Tri was probably the least "exploitable" MH but was also quite easy (even in Japan where they didn't get the free extra defense). Tri Ultimate was a bit tougher but had it's own problems (Kelbi Bow baby!).

I don't think that the games have been getting appreciably easier and I've been playing them religiously since the original western release. Well, let me modify that, I don't think the fights themselves are easier but the game works with you a lot more than it used to. It's true that you have gained a lot more tools but difficulty generally has ramped up to keep pace. The top end guild quests in MH4U were considerably more punishing than anything in any other MH (Frontier aside, I don't enjoy it and don't play it). Gen is a relatively easy game but it doesn't have G-rank so it's hard to compare it directly to the games that do, and it's no easier than the ones that don't. And of course this is all SUPER relative in that I can call Tri or Gen easy games but I play a lot of games and have been playing this series a long rear end time. To a new player, even the easiest MH is a brutal slog where almost everything is working against you. The actual fights in MH are considerably harder than all but the most punishing of boss fights in the Souls series and the only reason MH isn't considered on a completely different plane of difficulty is because it lacks the attrition-based difficulty of progressing through a level with limited resources.

I agree with the idea of retooling monsters but I disagree with the idea that another Tri is needed. Tri was extremely bare-bones and the period between Tri and Tri Ultimate is probably the bleakest period of MH the west has experienced. Most of the hardcore fans just went back to Freedom Unite during that time. I think Capcom can do just fine by releasing content-rich games like 4U and Gen and just working to keep things as up to date as possible. That being said, we are going to be entering into a new generation of games after XX (and whatever it will be called over here, assuming we get it at all), so a Tri-style release may very well be on the horizon.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ziddar posted:

Gaffle is right though, Wrath of Rath is even worse because Gold and Silver Raths are pretty much the worst monsters and I hate them.

Out of the Fry Pan is a cakewalk compared to Wrath of Rath, that poo poo is the worst Village quest in the last several generations. I found The Master's Test considerably easier than Wrath of Rath.

Your Computer posted:

If I was good I wouldn't be having trouble with this in the first place :v:

What I did for Out of the Fry Pan was Adept SnS and I didn't have too much trouble with it. SnS is a strong class for an elemental build and all three monsters are weak to Thunder. The other thing is that Adept SnS gives you aerial attacks out of the Adept evades, so you can snag several knockdowns over the course of the fight, which can drastically shorten it. You also get all the nice SnS perks like unsheathed item use and weapon phials. Adept SnS takes a little while to get used to but it's a very strong style. Make sure you check out Gaijinhunter's guide as using the correct attack chain is very important for SnS, just mashing X costs you a lot of damage.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Camel Camus posted:

Here's hoping for G rank in XX!

G Rank is in, that's largely the point of XX.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Emalde posted:

Brave and Adept are different niches and have different core philosophies. I'd say Striker is the style that becomes irrelevant with Brave.

I dunno I feel like Striker has a good niche in enabling specific silly HA combos. Stuff like Striker SA or Striker SnS (especially with the new Chaos Oil). Striker is also discount Adept if you take both Absolute Evasion HA's, which works really well with certain setups (like CB for instance). Now there may be an argument that Alchemy Style invalidates Striker but I'll need to see more about that style and XX in general to make that judgement. I also don't have a good feel for the effect SP will have.

Brave style seems really good but honestly all the styles are really good and we don't know the exact numbers on what Brave style gives up (what are the Movement Values, does it lose or change the benefits of weapon specific mechanics like LS bar levels, CB red shield, archdemon mode, etc). We know that Brave style replaces those mechanics but we don't have any numbers on the changes. It may turn out (extremely doubtfully) that Brave has reduced benefits across the board or something. We already know Brave has some weird disadvantages like dramatically increased charge times for the Bow when moving. Once the comprehensive guide comes out and some testing has been done and that info hits the JP wiki's, then we'll be able to talk about whether Brave is OP or not. Again, everything in XX is pretty OP though. Hunters in X and XX are just straight up way stronger than in previous games. Like if you want to talk about OP, imagine the likely to occur scenario of Aerial Style with Evasion+3.

Back to Brave Style though, it does look extremely fun. Here's a treat for all you Roman-style Funlancers out there: https://youtu.be/YfmM2BZtjVo

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zodack posted:

Striker still shines on SnS. Even back in Gen ther wasn't much use for it past that.

Man Striker SA is godlike with Evasion+2 y'all need to git outta here. Stacking Demon Riot 3, Energy Charge 3, and Translash 3 is just insane DPS, especially if you have Trump Card up and a good high Atk setup. I could solo HR Nakarkos in like 5 minutes with that setup. Striker was also really good with Charge Blade since it gained some extremely useful guard points and the Absolute Evasion arts are really good on CB for mobility. Same deal with Gunlance and Lance. Striker is really meh on some weapons (IG, DS) but it is super strong on a lot of others.

I thought I would hate Striker when MHG first came out but it ended up being one of my favorite styles. Thank goodness the Astral set is so freakin stylish because I never would have tried Striker if I wasn't trying to optimize my use of that set.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So as far as the game itself, I'm pretty trusting of the MH dev team. However expecting Capcom corporate to ever so anything logical is a very sketchy idea. At this point MHXX even coming to the west is far from a sure thing, let alone an eventual MH5. Capcom has made some of the most mind-boggling decisions in the industry so don't try to apply reason to them, it's futile.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I feel like Striker GL will still be quite viable in this brave new world. As I recall Dragon's Breath has always had the GP and getting that+Blast Dash+Absolute Readiness and spamming charged shells and triple poking is only going to be more effective. Having Blast Dash+Absolute Readiness does a LOT for the GL's mobility issues and you can sub in Absolute Evade if you really want to maximize mobility (I just like the little sharpen you get on Readiness).

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Don't try to predict what Capcom is going to do, it is only going to lead to pain and disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah I've been playing since PS2 days and I still love the formula and think Frontier is garbage.

Honestly a dramatic redo would probably reduce my enjoyment since a big part of these games for me is the massive legacy of content they've built up over the years. MH is one of the few games that can hold my attention for 500+ hours because it doesn't do RNG gear bullshit (outside of charms which I don't like) and one of the main reasons it can do that is because in many ways each new game is more akin to an MMO expansion rather than a completely new game.

• Locked thread