Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

I don't even know how the online works in this game other than "you can fight monsters in a party instead of alone." :(

Things I have no idea what is includes:
- Guild Quests?
- Gathering Hall?
- How do you even group?
- Is it like.. ranked and rewarded differently from the offline stuff?

Guild Quests: You get these from doing expeditions. Every time you beat it it "levels up" and gets more difficult at certain breakpoints. The main reason to do them is for relic equipment, which has randomized stats and is the real endgame. Don't worry about it, there's no way you're getting deep enough in 4U before Gen comes out.

The gathering hall is where you do gathering hall quests, which are tuned for online play unlike caravan (single player) quests. Monsters have more hp, even if you do them offline. Unless there's a monster that has no caravan equivalent, you can fight most things offline by yourself so you can stay away from online if you want. You actually need to do caravan quests to fully unlock a bunch of stuff, like food ingredients or cat island or wystones.

You group by going online and searching for a room or creating your own. To unlock the next tier of quests (1 star to 2 star for example) you have to do certain "key quests" that you can google for. Aside from the higher hp, gathering hall quests are the exact same as caravan quests, except you're not getting the cool intros the first time you see a monster and there's no story.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have a rare 7 wide tigrex gunlance in 4U that I bring into g rank missions when I get bored and I can stay competitive on damage with people online because I do nothing but load charged shots and wyvern fire into monsters. And I mean literally do nothing but shell repeatedly, the only time I touch the X button is if I need to shoot upwards. It's apparently the "wrong" way to play gunlance but I don't give a poo poo because it's fun to completely ignore sharpness until I get to yellow with a melee weapon. Breaks parts like nobody's business, too.

Generations makes doing that slightly more difficult, but between the wyvern fire locking heat and that one hunter art that locks it at max gunlance is still fine for the way I play it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Because other weapons are fun and all, but sometimes you want to pull out a literal cannon on a stick, shove it in a monster's face, and pull the trigger

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

Actually, I can't help myself so now I'm looking through the different weapon designs in MHGen. Holy poo poo there are so many I love compared to MH4U. My A E S T H E T I C etc.

There are Lances that look like spears! There are Long Swords that look like naginatas! There are Hunting Horns that are actually horns! :toot:

Where are you seeing all the designs? Is there a site that has that up somewhere?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kiggles posted:

Can check for some small images over here

http://kiranico.com/en/mhx/

Thanks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Vanderdeath posted:

How bad are the Gunlance changes? GL is my mainstay weapon and I hope it's not bad. :ohdear:

Basically, there's a heat gauge now. It rises every time you shell and at the level of your gauge determines whether you're getting full damage out of your stabs. The gauge goes down slowly over time, as well as every time you stab. Wyvern fire freezes the gauge in place for a couple minutes. It's intended to encourage people to mix up shelling and stabbing and not rely on one or the other. In practice, even when you're at max heat you're still doing a bit less damage than you otherwise would have done in 4U. It's not gamebreakingly bad, but it's a senseless nerf to an already criminally underplayed weapon.

Also while every shot type works best with guild, there's a "bestish" style for each shot type.
  • Striker can't use slams. Like, at all. So Normal's out, Long can manage, but it's practically made for Wide gunlances.
  • Arial loses quick reload, so Wide gunlances are out. The main feature is air slams, which are stylish as hell to land. Again, Long can get by but Normal gunlances will love slamming into a full burst from the air constantly.
  • Adept loses quick reload and slams outside of perfect dodges, so Wide and Normal suffer a bit but it's loving heaven for Long gunlances

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 14, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was thinking of trying some bowing in 4U so I'd have more of a feel for it in Gen, but needed a single diablos hardhorn to upgrade my seregios bow to a usable level for g rank. I've done like ten hunts, breaking the horns each time and haven't turned up a single one. On the upside, I've become quite good at smacking diablos in the face and then rolling through its charges with evade +2.

Can't wait to get trolled by the desire sensor all over again in Generations!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In a video someone posted last thread, someone was using aerial greatsword and the initial jump seemed to be doing a slash during the initial hop onto the monster before they actually started air charging. Does aerial style actually do that or are they somehow attacking during their initial jump?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

AttackBacon posted:

It was probably the draw attack, which for Aerial GS is a leaping slash that does mounting damage. As far as I know there is no way to attack during the initial Aerial hop for any weapon, you have to trigger the second jump. There are also no attack you can execute during a jump (with Aerial GS) before you begin a charge, the one hit, charged or no, is all you get.

Wait, second jump? Do you mean jumping off the monster in the air or after a failed jump or something? Haven't heard of that before. I did find the video I was talking about though, maybe you can help figure out what exactly is happening at 0:53:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnzdLOG-0I&t=53s

Then in the next clip, he does a hunter art that makes him do his regular hop...that knocks it out of the air somehow?

deadly_pudding posted:

Adept definitely still has slams. The perfect guard slam is just faster and preceded by a instant reload/vertical stab hybrid.

My bad, I'll change it so people don't get confused. Got a bit mixed up.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

...why does the Seregios switch axe look like a greatsword and the greatsword look like a switch axe?

My question still stands unless arial switch axe has some way to attack during the first hop I don't know about.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Golden Goat posted:

Actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuL6M2KKSI
Just at the start of that video he does a jump with an upward slash followed by a second jump and a downward slash

It figures my question was easily answerable by the one weapon I never bothered to look up since I figured it hadn't changed. :angel:

Thanks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The target I picked up my copy from a couple hours ago apparently only stocked four copies.

Also I'm kind of blown away that I can just start playing and not have a bunch of tutorial stuff in the first mission

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Guys help even though I mained GS in 4U and intended to use any other weapon in Gen I picked Arial GS to do all the braindead 1-2 star missions and its turning out to be really loving good so I can't switch away now.

I just finished making the Leaping set. Protip to anyone who's going that route: the set that looks like it'll give you Leaping (the skill that gives you increased damage on aerial attacks) has the wrong legs if you choose the first available version for the legs like you can every other armor piece. That'll just net you a set that gives you Stamina Drain, you have to make a different set of leg armor a page over that requires Larinoth Hide. The best way to grab that is the 2 star quest "A Berry Good Idea". Enjoy being able to oneshot small monsters with charged GS aerial attacks.

While I'm griping, why is cooking so weird now? Depending on what I choose apparently there's like 2-5 different sauces that have the exact same name, but have different effects when chosen. Why couldn't they keep the 4U cooking? It looks like the skills I can activate through sauces are the same if I choose the same dishes, this just makes it take twice as long for me to find a kitchen skill I'm looking for.

On an unrelated note, this isn't the same team that did MH4U, right? The gameplay is solid and good, but the dialogue feels like it's trying to emulate 4U and just not quite being good enough. I can appreciate the jokes for what they are, but 4U's stuff was a lot more...grounded or subtle I guess? It's a lot of little stuff I can't quite put into words and feels like nitpicking if I try to articulate.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ankle posted:

Before release I thought I would have a really hard time choosing what weapon to play because they all seemed so good and cool, but actually, Aerial Greatsword is the best weapon ever and there is no reason for me to play anything else

I know, right?! It feels like it should get get boring really quickly but it it's unreasonably satisfying to land.

For anyone else who hasn't seen The Light yet, Lion's Maw works incredibly well with Aerial style GS. I had written it off before, but it charges super fast so you can use it once every couple minutes if you're playing aggressively and aerial style means you get pretty safe level 3 charges on basically anything. I'm getting five minute kill times on great maccaws, something that I feel like I shouldn't be getting with a weapon I've only upgraded twice.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was trying to stay optimistic but now that I've got a chance to play one the gunlance changes really hosed over wide gunlances. I'm getting like all of six shots before I'm plunged into overheat for two minutes.

It's literally punishing people for shelling too much on a branch of the weapon that encourages constant shelling.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Someone spoil me on the pro strat for nibelsnarf. I was excited to fight him because his name is hilarious but he deals way too much damage and I'm tired of getting hit for 60% of my health because I messed up in loving low rank. I'm cool with getting hit hard in G rank because you're expected to be more experienced by then and you probably have a build but I have nothing to work with here.

I heard something about bombs so I tried it out, I can get him to eat them and fish him out afterwards, but he doesn't stay down long enough to do more than a single GS charge which isn't nearly enough.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ojetor posted:

Use a hammer or horn. He is like 40% head, it's super easy to stun him.

I'm already invested in greatsword, gunlance, and bow, but I guess I'll pick up a hammer to play with as well.

On another note, why the gently caress does khezu gear require gypceros parts? I just want to replace this great maccao set with something else that looks neat.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rascyc posted:

I feel like you should be able to get more than just a level 3 charge with GS on a fished nibelsnarf. Are you doing the full combo? Power swing and all?

Are you doing it on his feet? If you take out his two front feet he kinda flounders a bit and it's a little easier beating him then.

I was running Adept since I thought it would help, so no strong charge/swipe.

Also to be fair, I think the reason I only got one level 3 charge was because I Lion's Maw'd him after fishing him up. I don't remember clearly because I was mostly laughing my rear end off at my hunter strongarming this thing five times his size up and over his head 20 feet into the air.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

widespread posted:

Oh god, is that the Cephadrome in loving LR?

Also besides Bujabujabu, what are some good alternates to LR starting armor?

I just made the Great Maccao set. I don't think it really matters much until you get to high rank and have actual options available to start making builds. Imho just make a set out of your favorite monster or whatever's easiest to kill so you don't have the bare minimum in defence. Alternatively, the one that looks coolest, because you're going to throw it out once you start getting into high rank.

My alternate gunner armor is the moofah set. The skills are useless, but it's adorable as hell. I swapped in khezu legs since the set doesn't have an actual leg piece.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

So I finally got a Broken Statue and can make one of the best looking charge blades, the Chameleos C. Blade. However I just noticed that it has a crazy -30% Affinity. Does this make it suck or can I still use it effectively? :smith:

e: and of course it loving upgrades to level 2 with an Accolade like literally every other weapon I like in this game. Uggghhhhhhhhh

Back in 4U I asked the same question w/r/t the chaotic gore switch axe which has amazing raw and great sharpness, and the answer I got was that the -30% affinity hurts way more than you'd think. I imagine the same thing holds here.

So it's probably just "okay", unless you gem in some crit skills to make up for it. Even then , it's probably not great because you could have spent those slots gemming in skills you actually want for other reasons.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

If it's actually "okay" that's good enough for me, honestly. I'm a Fashion Hunter after all :unsmith:

In unrelated news I just fought a Rathian who did 90% of her damage to me in chip damage from stepping around. How do you deal with steppy-stomps like that? Does the Tremor Res skill affect it or does that only affect stuff like Lagombi's pound that make your character sway for a moment? (I suspect it's the latter)

The latter, Tremor Res is for the few attacks that make you lose your footing and sway a little.

Something interesting about that by the way: that animation is the only way a monster can force you to sheathe your weapon iirc. Tremor Res is one of those skills that's only really useful in a handful of situations. In 4U it only mattered for like deviljho and rajang, since nothing else that could cause tremors was that huge a threat (congalala could gently caress you up on a bad day if he really wanted to I guess). I haven't heard about people particularly wanting tremor res in this game so I assume it's the same.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The moofah gunlance being a wide GL but having a tiny amount of sleep is a sick joke and I am not laughing :mad:

What style are most people enjoying gunlance with, by the way? I usually use wide GLs so I typically lean striker, but after finding out arial retains quick reload I don't see much reason not to use it with a wide GL since you lose nothing compared to striker and gain usable forward movement and a quick shell/attack. Adept is the only thing I can't see myself using, and even that's only because it kinda cripples wide GLs by cutting quick reload. Guild seems kind of pointless unless you're running a normal GL and just want access to slams without having to jump through hoops to get it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Internet Friend posted:

Once you start living on a liquid diet of energy drinks and demondrugs the honey reserves dry up quick.

You can just buy energy drinks at least. I don't see anything else to spend points on so far, and any gathering mission will drown you in points. I bought 99 a while ago and never looked back.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The grind in this game for weapons is ridiculous and I hope they don't keep leveling a weapon as a requirement for upgrading into a new one for MH5.

Like, in the GS tree right now I'd love to make the swords in the Buster Sword tree, but none of them can be forged. So I'd have to make three Iron Swords, upgrade all of them to level 3, create three Buster Swords, upgrade them all to level two, and then create the two other swords in that tree. Or I could only make two other swords and go through that whole process if I didn't care about the original, which I do. It feels like a gigantic waste of time coming from 4U.

I also don't understand why so much stuff isn't craftable from scratch. At least let me skip some of that by creating the Buster Sword outright, or at the very least not locking entire monsters' weapons behind leveling and upgrading two completely unrelated weapons.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kashuno posted:

I really like the upgrading. It feels like there are more options (98 unique Gunlances in MHGen, I'd have to check 4U again to see) and they make old weapons still feel good. Like how the iron gunlance looks? Great, max it out and it's still viable. I like the Petrified line, so I can have a petrified gunlance that isn't trash late game. It's neat and I don't mind it. Also it lets me map out what I'm doing a lot easier.

I mean I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm talking about locking upgrades behind weapon levels. Sorry if that sounded like I was complaining about leveling weapons in general somehow.

E:

dragon enthusiast posted:

You are imagining things. The number of weapons that can't be directly forged is on par with previous monster hunter games. Also base level weapons have more relaxed crafting requirements in this game than previous MHes, so it approximately balances out in the end.

I dunno how I'm imagining the example I literally just posted but ok I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Squidtentacle posted:

I feel like this isn't a problem with the upgrading system, but rather the bizarre lack of certain things that aren't craftable at the baseline. I actually really like the upgrading system, partially because everything's pretty much viable, but also because for a lot of stuff there's only a couple of specific things I need to upgrade it and I can fudge the rest with an assortment of materials under an umbrella selection. Feels like there's a lot less frustration because I don't have X amount of some object when I can say "I'm not going to use these scales to make the armor, so I'll just use them to upgrade this weapon." EDIT: Okay you're not saying that anyway, let these just be me saying how much I like the upgrade systems.

The only problem is that so many weapons aren't craftable from the start. It's not a HUGE deal to me, but I don't understand why some relatively basic stuff couldn't be built from scratch rather than going through long upgrade trees. That's something that's frustrated me before, though, so it doesn't feel like anything new. EDIT: It's definitely not much different from the rest of the series, but with the amount of focus on "do whatever you want IDGAF" it's an odd decision to me.

TBF though, your example doesn't feel that hard to work with if you're regularly gathering stuff on the fly. 8 iron ore, 1 disc stone, 6 bealite ore, 2 shiny beetles, 3 machalite, 12 earth crystals, 3 dragonite. A big range of stuff, sure, but it's not hard to accumulate by the time you could fight Uragaan or Najarala anyway.

True, it's not a huge problem to go through the motions and create it, it's just weird that the extra step exists. Also the desire sensor is in full swing in my game right now, I've got iron ore and disc stones crowding my box and three volcano prowler gathering quests have turned up a total of like 8 dragonite, while pretty much everything I want to upgrade requires it atm.

It also bugs me that you can't know what your weapon upgrades into until you arbitrarily level it enough, especially when half of the time I don't even have the materials to upgrade something and won't have access to them for an entire star higher like the Uragaan GS. I poked around kiranico and it looks like he's available around guild 3* so I guess that's why he's considered the same "tier" as something I'm capable of fighting now at 4* village?

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 28, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

On an unrelated note, you guys weren't joking about hammer/hunting horn turning nibelsnarf into a joke. :stare:

I went aerial HH to kill him a few times for fast charge decorations and felt bad for the poor, uh, whatever the gently caress he's supposed to be. Now my problem's that aerial HH is so much fun I don't want to tear myself away from it to go back to GS now that my focus/sheathing set is complete.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

scaterry posted:

Some thoughts on the state of HH:

The double note change is good and great. It makes song maintenance less of a thing and encourages bashing monsters with an instrument.

Song selections still make or break the HH. Any hunting horn with a Attack up, defense up and health up song set is so versatile that nothing else compares. Some HH's songs might be good for specific fights, either getting rid of annoying binds or resistances but its so niche it's not worth using.
There was one HH that has a health recovery song so it might be fun to play battle medic.

All of the HH specific arts are really bad.

Personally, I think adept or guild style are kings of HH. Losing the regular double note string on adept style doesn't hurt when adept dodges are so good and songs are easy to crank out thanks to double notes. Aerial HH feels weird in that its a double hit that you can't change direction of the second hit after the first. Swatch can do it and SnS can as well. If HH got the Hammer Double-A Bounce, then it would be fantastic.

not a fan of the Aerial leap replacing the roll on Aerial style for HH. It screws with positioning too much on a weapon where positioning is key.

I haven't tried Adept HH yet, but Aerial works surprisingly well. The way the double hit during your jump works is that you get one hit on the way up and one on the way down, so if your first wouldn't connect you can choose between basically 2 completely safe notes or an aimable safe double note unless you really messed up your jump somehow. I'd also disagree about the HH arts tbh. Gaijin Hunter mentioned Arisen Phoenix being really good as an emergency max potion and that Sonic Smash was the weakest hunter art, while in my experience Sonic Smash is kind of the only hunter art that is worth using. If you're playing Hunting Horn properly and hitting monsters to get your notes, you're getting double notes anyway so the other two are kind of useless unless you're bad at hitting things or just really need (the base level of) all your songs right now. I'll admit I'm just at village 4* so maybe this'll all change later, but right now at least it's working perfectly fine.

Gaijin Hunter also mentioned Sonic Smash not really staggering monsters much, but it does so fairly regularly for me. It's not guaranteed by any rate, but it happens often enough to be reliable if I haven't staggered the monster in the past couple minutes. The stun on each hit is pretty solid too for how fast it goes, and the final hit's motion value at minimum is a straight fixed 80 damage at level 1 which isn't too shabby. The range on that last honk is pretty decent as well and can clear out any small mobs trying to harass you.

The only thing I don't really like is that Aerial style changing your second B button hit to the hilt stab actually changes your regular idle stab to count as a B button note instead of an X button which is kinda annoying, but with Aerial is mostly ignorable at least.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was kind of looking forward to finding what everyone in the thread was being coy about but thanks for completely spoiling it I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So as the only person who actually likes Khezu and wants to make his equipment, it's a bit annoying that nearly all his stuff requires parts from other monsters to create or upgrade past level 1. I couldn't create his armor set or his greatsword when I first fought him because it required Gypceros parts, and unless you're looking it up on kiranico and know that he'll appear in two completely unrelated gathering quests, the first quest that displays Gypceros is unlocked through the logical progression of taking a gathering quest and getting plopped next to a metal as hell deviljho recolor flagship monster. I get that I could have just gone online but it's weird to have that "gate" when the initial crafting process for every other greatsword I've got so far is just "take materials from monster you want to make a sword out of -> toss in a few bones/ore -> done". It's not the worst thing in the world since all it means is I wait an hour until I have the appropriate quest unlocked, just a bit of a bizarre hassle for otherwise mediocre equipment.

Like for example once I made the Khezu GS at the start of 3* it only had 90 attack and 22 thunder, so I wanted to upgrade it so it'd be useful. But it requires Astalos materials, a monster I couldn't fight until recently in 5*. So I couldn't actually upgrade my Khezu GS to level 2 until I went up two quest ranks, only to find out that I could just make the Astalos GS instead which has 20 higher attack, +15% affinity, and better sharpness in exchange for losing one of the two slots the Khezu GS has. Why prevent me from upgrading the Khezu GS until I can make another one that's better in every possible way?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Because liking Khezu is wrong, and the game is desperately trying to make you realize that.

I fight a Khezu in the Marshlands a while back and suddenly I understand his reputation. I'm pretty sure in 4U every map he could go on the ceiling there was some wall you could climb up or icicle/stalagmite you could jump off to knock him down. I didn't realize the old games had areas where your only option was to use bounce bombs to hopefully knock him off :negative:

Between stuff like that and fighting a Rathian in Verdant Hills that kept flying between two areas adjacent on the map but three areas apart to run to or the Volcano being full of open space and nothing else I'm starting to feel like the older maps are maybe not designed super well

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

Someone talk me out of this because I am going to do it :downs:

Look, if you're looking for someone to talk you out of grinding a monster that might be outdated in an hour's worth of progression you might be in the wrong thread.

To be honest though? I'm with you in that I haven't hit high rank yet, but I haven't bothered making more than three sets and I honestly could have gotten away with two. I made the great maccao set so I wouldn't be stuck with base defence, the Khezu set because recovery level up loving owns, and my mixed focus/sheathing set. There's plenty of mons whose sets I wouldn't mind having but you just have to realize that your exploits in fashion hunting would be better suited with high rank armor because, you know, high rank is kind of the entire rest of the game.

I've seen your posts and while I would literally love to have your fashion sense for all the sets you keep posting (also your free time to make them) you'd really be better served hurrying it to high rank asap because the unfortunate reality is that basically all the armor you've made is going to be more or less useless outside of early high rank. Assuming what I learned from 4U holds true, you really want the extra skill points/slots/defence the next level rank's armor has to offer as soon as you can get your paws on it because as monsters get nastier it can mean the difference between getting hit for something you can heal with a mega potion and hunts taking getting hit for 2/3rds of your health. At least making dozens of high rank sets you'll be unoptimal at best and can make up for it by getting gud instead of doing the equivalent of wearing gunner armor at melee range (unless you grind like hell for armor spheres to upgrade all of those sets I guess).

While I'm on the subject of skill stuff, I hadn't realized no G rank meant we lost access to the combined skills from 4U. From what I can tell poking briefly in Athena's rear end, recreating my 4U focus/sheath control/evasion +2 set is going to require basically a 3 slot +5 Evasion +8 Punish Draw charm bare minimum which is pretty strict :(. The dream might be dead for me outside of a whole lot of grinding this game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So on someone's recommendation, I've been sending my cats to the volcano every single quest to gather dragonite ore, since the game's been so stingy with it for me. On a dozen quests or so, only one cat in four will actually bring back an ore, every other cat will bring back firestone or malachite, despite landing them on the dragonite circle.

So next quest I took, I took a picture on my phone of the pre results screen as well as the results screen to post about my terrible luck, but every time I've done it since I started taking pictures at least two cats have brought back what I sent them for. I'm past the point where I desperately need dragonite ores to upgrade but the pattern of two cats minimum actually getting the thing it says on the space is holding out. Desire sensor is working overtime I guess, but it's still really stupid that landing in the space for an item apparently only nets you something from that general category instead of the item displayed.

Kashuno posted:

I like the N3DS nub :shobon:

Same. I'd probably hate it if I came in expecting a second control stick but monster hunter is literally the only game I have that can use it and it works just fine. The whole pressure sensitivity thing is weird but for a game like this it works alright. It'd be better if it were a second analog stick of course, but it performs well enough that I don't have much of a problem with it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I exclusively use wide gunlance and yet to find a monster where my expert strategy of "use wyvern fire asap, otherwise do nothing but shell/quick reload or charge shot/quick reload forever" has made hunts noticeably longer than I'd get with greatsword.

That's my gunlance story, thanks for reading

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it just me or are all of the deviant bowguns kind of garbage. Their ammo selections are just bad compared to the better non-deviant guns, they don't have noteworthy rapid/crouch selections, and the bowgun arts are all pretty meh so the extra meter filling isn't all that enticing.

The attacks are few in number but reasonably versatile, so you should think along the lines of "how can I hit the monster with the right attacks to play this song" when you need to refresh a buff. Playing solo with the horn for awhile is a good way to train this since if you don't attack the monster it won't die. Maestro is also good since it lets you waste less time on recitals.

Recitals and encores are incredibly powerful though, why wouldn't you want to use them? There's nothing more satisfying than smacking a monster in the face, playing a song, then smacking it again as you slide to the side while it charges where you used to be a second ago.

Maestro just gives you slightly more room for error, in practice you're going to be hitting things constantly anyway and double notes do a really good job of letting you rotate between three songs or so fairly comfortably.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That uh, sure was an ending.

E: oh my god glavenus sharpening it's tail near the end of the credits scroll is the most adorable thing :kimchi:

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 5, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dragon enthusiast posted:

got a charm with +10 Maestro ooo, tell me what HH to make

I'd also recommend the najarala HH. You keep attack up like the petrified horn but you also get a song for earplugs that double notes/encores into high grade earplugs as well as a bit of paralysis. Ironically, using it with aerial is the easiest way I've found to make najarala into a complete joke, jumping all over him and never worrying about bouncing while dealing ko/exhaust damage leaves him with basically nothing to hit you with.

You also get cold/heat res songs, so you can remove the need for you and anyone else you hunt with to bring hot/cold drinks. Not something I'd care about otherwise, but I like having at least three songs to cycle through on my hunting horns so I can do recitals and encores as often as possible without feeling like I'm repeating songs too much.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Alternatively, just don't use the songs then. Run your upkeep song for movespeed and free ESP since it's always just X X, and spend the rest of your time turning the monster into oatmeal.

The horn feels like it swings faster than the hammer, at least to me. Just use it like one and you'll have a ball.

Playing hunting horn without the songs is like playing insect glaive without getting juices besides red. You're experiencing less than half the weapon has to offer.

I mean, technically it's even worse because not using other songs means you're missing out on buffs so the only differentiating feature between horns is attack and element, and you're probably losing out on damage overall because you aren't going to be using recitals or encores which hit pretty hard.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Allarion posted:

It depends on the horn really. A lot of horns only have one or two useful buffs, with a lot of situational buffs, so you'd play the one song and just focus on attacking after that. I've been using the Seregios horn a lot lately just cause it sharpens itself with each dodge, and you really only need the negate stamina buff for that one since it lacks an attack buff but has really high raw and high sharpness to make up for it. The defense buff is nice, but it's a buff I play as filler between songs rather than a buff I prioritize. That said, including recitals and encores into your combos is a good idea if you can time it right. Also I notice there's a bunch of horns that basically focus on attack buffs since they give you 3 variations of the same song, just to make it very easy to play the song regardless of your combo, so that's an option too if someone doesn't want to remember 3 or 4 songs.

Oh yeah, for sure. I really just meant in response to "play nothing except your upkeep song" because that seems like a sad way to play the weapon, like if you were to play gunlance while ignoring shooting. I mean technically in super late endgame stabbing is going to do more damage consistently but it's like why bother using the weapon if you're ignoring its main features, you know?

Is the seregios horn worth it, by the way? It's got great raw/sharpness, but in 4U I never found I was rolling enough to keep it up like I did with greatsword. Hell, in generations I'm finding I have trouble keeping the first seregios GS at a steady blue because aerial and adept just let you be so incredibly aggressive. Songs are also usually the first thing I look at when I'm making a new horn, and the seregios horn's are pretty garbage. Negate stamina is nice for aerial horns (the one true style) but aside from that you've got defense and ice res which aren't super amazing.

It's part of why I love the najarala horn so much, even if it's a bit weak. Attack up and hg earplugs are good to take with you on any hunt, and immunity to cold/heat means you and anyone you hunt with never have to worry about hot/cold drinks ever again. I have no idea what immunity to binds actually does, but if it's what I think it is and prevents you from getting grabbed where you have to mash or dung bomb to escape, that's nothing to slouch at either. It's a pretty amazing horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Apparently there exist ways to connect a ps3 or other such controllers to an iPad, although I haven't looked into it beyond a quick google

• Locked thread