Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ciaphas posted:

Do styles require unlocking or leveling or certain types of weapons or any nonsense like that, or can I freely switch between them at any time?

I dunno how I feel about Striker and Adept in general, and I already did Guild in MH4U (:v:) but Aerial looks 100% my jam overall

All Styles and Hunter Arts are unlocked individually via quests.

e: wrong apparantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tormented posted:

Is there any place to get pre-order a digital download copy?

I'm not seeing a pre-order button in the nintendo shop.

The 3DS e-shop doesn't do pre-orders because Nintendo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Holy poo poo the Demon Riot + Energy Charge on the Switch Axe is insane. Like an extra 50%+ damage for nothing.

Also Nibelsnarf is annoying as hell to fight and terrible. I don't care if some goons think its name is funny. :argh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Randy Mythbuster posted:

I decided i'm going to try a new weapon this time around, and so I've been doing SnS this playthru. The problem is i'm super torn on what style to use. I've played around with Guild and Aerial, and I really prefer Guild unless there is a "mount and topple" requirement. How does Striker and Adept hold up? I'm a little wary of Adept as i'm still not fantastic at reading attacks, and I'd really miss having 2+ arts.

Striker Style is considered the best style for SnS, since all 3 Hunter Arts are good, and all you lose is the weird backhop charge attacks.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Counterpoint: the owl is cool and good and is my friend

And here we see some of the telltale symptoms of the Malfestio Confusion Powder.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

enojy posted:

I've been playing for years, and never knew drooling would draw a monster to placed food. I need to start using this on every single hunt.

Note that this doesn't work on most monsters. Jho is the only one dumb enough to fall for it consistently.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

enojy posted:

Nargacuga set good for adept? I'm looking at my first set beyond BujaBujaBu. It gives evade distance and crit +1, sounds good, but only if that evade distance perk makes adept dodging even more lenient.

Adept dodges are unaffected by Evasion skills.

Prel posted:

They were thinking wouldn't it be rad to just have perma-sword mode with ridiculous crit and play aerial and mount anything anytime you want yeah that would be rad.

Something like that.

Except you need 2 hunter arts to keep up that hyper sword mode, so it's either that or aerial shenanigans.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Does anyone have a list of quests that upgrade the kitchen and trader?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Speaking of, what are some good early game bows? I heard the Sonic Bow is good, but what else?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How exactly do you transfer Palico skills? Stick them both in training and hope the skill transfers?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

does evasion skill help, worsen, or not do anything to Adept styles?

Also, is there a list of what each style gives up somewhere?

The adept dodge is not affected by evasion skills at all.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Is it a good idea to attempt Snowlord or Stonefist at low rank?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Anyone have a list of how to unlock all the arena quests?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

There's a shitload of armor choices, and I can't tell which ones I should be getting. Is there a rhyme or reason to which armor set you want and should I be grinding for those ones in specific, or is it just wear whatever you think looks good?

I'm currently wearing a hodgepodge of random crap and it looks completely bizarre.

You pick armor based on skills. You pick skills based on what weapon you're using.

At low rank, I'd recommend getting this armor set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

PSA to people in early High Rank. The High Rank versions of Jaggi and Bulldrome armor have the exact same skills as the Low Rank versions. Meaning you can get Bujabujabu with HR level defense. It's kind of annoying to farm for, but it's available right as you hit HR4.

Rascyc posted:

Nakarkos is a boring monster. Wish they'd make some cool big monsters already.

They already did, it's called Gogmazios.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 26, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dash Juice is really good for Aerial Style in general because all those repeated hops drains stamina like a motherfucker.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Is it wrong that that reason I like Gunlance so much is that I can shoot my gun into the air at the end of quests to celebrate?

Also what is the point of Long Gunlances? I see why you might want Normal or Wide but Long doesn't seem to offer anything I don't get better from the other two types.

Long Gunlances have much better Wyvern Fire and and longer red on the heat gauge IIRC. Meaning it's really good for controlling heat and doing long strings of poke->shelling combos.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Holy gently caress these weapon upgrades get expensive.

Start selling monster parts you don't need.

Or if you're HR 60+, start cashing into the Bank of Akantor.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Ok, so I'm chilling in HR as a CB/SA/LS user but I wanna learn bow. What's a good highrank/upper low rank armor set for bow? Mosgharl? Something with focus?

Mosgharl S Chest, Arms, and Legs with Jaggi S Helmet (Blademaster for more armor), and Waist for Focus and Attack Up (M) with the Teostra Bow and a 2-slot Talisman.

Later on you can swap the helmet for the Barrage Piercing, the waist for the Esurient Coat R, and gem for Normal Up. For a total of Focus, Load-Up, and Normal/Rapid Up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Holy poo poo, I got 24 Dash Extract from a high rank Meowster Hunter run on Gypceros. Matching the colors really makes a difference, and that's a good enough reason to fill up your roster with cats, even if you only use, like 3 of them for fighting.

How do you unlock High Rank Meownster Hunter?

crazkylo posted:

Are there any other sets with a bit higher armor and useful skills to tie me over in the mean time? I'm still fairly new to the series and am trying to learn monster patterns while simultaneously learning Greatsword.

Both of us tried fighting the katchawatcha last night and failed. We could likely get it with another try, but it makes me worry about what else is in 4 and 5 before we even see glavenus.

There's a High Rank version of Bujabujabu with the exact same skills.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

what are some good SA to go for as Aerial Style? Im currently 5 star, just getting into astalos and glavenus.
I have had good success with the grim cat paralyzing one and im wondering what the best paralyze SA line is. The iron axe levels up way beyond grim cat but is the status as strong?

If an axe says poison but doesnt shows the value like the naracuga SA does that mean it only does poison in sword form?
I have never poisoned anything with it despite getting plenty of purple puffs on hit. Everything just dies before poison so im assuming its a really low value

I use the Zinogre (Lightning), Rathalos (Fire), Gammoth (Ice), and Mitsuzune (Water) based on what's weak to what. Lots of people like the Seregios axe for raw damage.

The Grim Cat IS the best Paralyze SA, but it tops out at 140 Raw (early high rank level), and the status isn't high enough to compensate so nobody uses it.

The Narga switch axe has a poison phial, so yes, it only poisons in sword mode and isn't very good at it. The deviant Rathian axe is the best poison axe you can get until you can make the Gold Rathian one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The game is really hyping up how hard the Deviant enemies are considering you can unlock them fairly early. Is the game actually being seroius in that i shoulden't try them for a while or am i good basically out of the gate?

They're difficult, around the difficulty of Apex monsters, but they're totally doable if you have a decent group. FYI Deviant lv1-3 is low rank, 4-6 is high rank, 7+ is pseudo-G-Rank.

Konig posted:

Can someone please explain the unlock requirements and differences (cosmetic or skills) between the different armors from ostensibly the same monster? I'm talking about stuff like Rathalos, Rathalos S, Rathalos R, Rathalos U, EX Rathalos and that sort of poo poo.

As far as I can tell, Rathalos is LR, Rathalos S is HR same model, Rathalos U is blue or maybe gold Rath (there's probably another for the other) and is a different colour but same model, but no idea about R or EX.

EX is DLC I think. R unlocks after doing a quest chain from Little Miss Forge in Kotoko.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 29, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

quote is not edit

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I can't get over how much of a wuss Seregios is. Wasn't he the flagship monster in 4U? I don't even see him limping, he just goes from raging to dead

Did you fight the Low Rank version? Because Seregios was High Rank+ in 4U, and while no means hard, he was a decently tough monster.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I was wondering what the big deal about the village ending was until I actually saw it.

uh

I liked how the Lavasioth was as confused as I was.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Why is evade distance a lovely perk? I usually like it on some weapons. And yeah naracuga armor is always lower than average defense cause you are supposed to dodge more in it.

Not that I agree with them, but probably because adept style exists.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

How important is it to learn all the different attack combos for a weapon? For example, SnS? I'm a button masher by nature and I can never remember all the combos I'm supposed to do, especially in the heat of battle :(

Most weapons have a bread-and-butter infinite combo that you can spam. I don't know what it is for SnS but I know one exists.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Been slowly deconstructing Village quests. Unlocked 5*, and completely cleared literally everything up through 4*. Looks like 6* is the limit. Are there any village quests that are technically High Rank as far as rewards are concerned?

Yes, anything with [Advanced] is High Rank.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Why do people hate fighting Nibelsnarf? He's actually really fun. I can see why a gunner would hate him though.

Because he has the Kushala problem of being incredibly obnoxious to fight without a very specific counter to his bullshit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm still calling bullshit on the fact that Rathian doesn't lose the ability to poison you once you severe the tail and the loving poison needles on it. :argh:

She gets Phantom Stinger syndrome. Like Phantom Pain, but you feel it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Looks like it took Japan ~3 months to get hypers for Goldie/Silvie/Jho/Rajang. glhf

That's still way better than taking 9 months to get G-rank Black Fatalis back in 4U.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Jesus so many end game armors have to be upgraded with the most annoying poo poo to lift their DEF values. Bring back the old system IMO

:agreed:

The current upgrade system is fine for weapons and Deviant stuff, but I wish armor just used armor spheres again.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

What surprises me is how few people eat for insurance. In fact the stuff pubbies eat for are usually real bizarre.

I rarely eat for insurance because I can't loving find it in the food options.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Flython posted:

On a plesioth of all things too. I can't think of a monster that I'd rather gun every drat time than him.

Have they taken out removing the limiters on BG in generations and just replaced it with hunter arts?

Removing limiters is a G-rank thing that you could only use with G-rank level guns.

MHG doesn't have G-rank, so there's no limiter removing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Do you have to level your deviant quest to 10 for any particular reason outside of posting quests? Someone told me I had to level a quest to 10 to unlock the final forms at the very least but verification would be nice.

I hate the deviant system in this game. It makes finding rooms a real pain in the rear end.

Pretty sure you don't actually have to unlock the quests, you just need the appropriate tickets. Unlocking it yourself saves you the trouble of find rooms with the appropriate level.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Alxprit posted:

Is there no equivalent to the Tanzian Ale / Mosswine Jerky from the last few games in this one? Is that only for Ultimate games?

There is. I forget what it's called, but you can get it if you cook sushifish in the Rife Roast option in the kitchen.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

How bad are deviants compared to the normal beasties? I'm still in low rank gear and looking to expand but I'm afraid I'll be wasting my time trying them now.

A lot of them are pretty rough at Low-Rank and are generally expected to be fought at endgame. Note: Deviant Quests "level up" as you do them, and Lv.4+ is considered high-rank and will probably 1-shot you at Low Rank Defense.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Squidtentacle posted:

I almost forgot about Barioth because it's been so long since he's showed up. Man, we need that guy back.

Unrelatedly, Burger King just announced a promotion with Monster Hunter Online. They're making two unique burgers, the Fire Flame and Dark Thunder.

I feel like these are just asking for an rear end blasting.

This would be rad if they didn't have heaps of tomatoes and mayo respectively. :barf:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Amazon was selling the Rajang for like $70 a few weeks ago...

e: It's at $62 with Prime right now fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I have zero faith in this movie and I hope it gets cancelled.

• Locked thread