Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, actual question: For those that played Cross or got Gen early, are there any newbie-friendly armor sets to shoot for in the beginning? The mixed Velocidrome/Yian Kut-Ku set that could be gemmed for AtkUpXL in 4U was my bestie for all of LR and I'd love something comparable. Or something with Guard, I suppose.

Gaijinhunter actually has a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

Electric Lady posted:

I think we all need to take Your Computer hunting and charm farming once they get Generations.

I have always done my charm hunting solo, and it's horrendous. Going as a group sounds much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my god you can charge aerial hammer midair???? Are you serious with me that's amazing

Yes but if you press A in midair you'll hit the monster so hard you bounce off and can hit them AGAIN.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Banking on the nostalgia of the lovely-rear end dromes and their cloned armor sets is more marketable tham bringing back the actually neat -aggis.

The sooner you accept this, the sooner the healing can begin.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

You don't usually aim the bow manually. It's mostly about proper spacing and just facing towards the monster when you release.

e:Make sure to try both control setups in the options menu. I can only use control scheme 1, but a friend swears by 2.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

This day at work is going on forever. I'm fairly certain I'm trapped in purgatory. :negative:

HenryEx posted:

Is there some kind of bonus for having played the demo of MHGen or is it only for MH4U?

Just MH4U. There's more you can download from the DLC menu, but nothing from the demo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rascyc posted:

No unlocks for the training quests right? There's like sixty of em when you account for styles I guess.

No unlocks, just a couple dozen units of honey and other such supplies. Don't bother unless you really need the checkmark.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

earbuds in both ears, headset over both ears :shobon: I think it'll work

This is what I've done in the past and it works just fine.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I have an icon on my lower screen for the main village, a speech bubble with ... in it, which I assume means there is someone there to talk to - but I cannot find who it is and it's driving me crazy

If it's Bherna, it's probably referring to the cat lady. She's on a separate screen from the rest of the town.

I'm still at work so I can't give you any more than that, sorry. :shrug:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

SnS is basically Free Striker Mode because all it loses is the strange backhop charge attack. Also it has really amazing arts.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

After a few nights of using SnS and playing Get Tripped by Your Friends I decided to make a ranged set, which I haven't really done since back in 3U. Ended up crafting the bottom-level Najarala HBG and some Ceanataur armor and took it to some offline quests to get the hang of things.

Adept HBG is disgusting. I'm having so much fun with power reloads, the mad-dash sprint, and crouching fire. I was never able to figure the mechanic out in past games, but holy poo poo does it just turn you into a cannon. I never knew you could roll into crouching fire, and being able to go into it after a power reload (and figuring out you can determine what way you face after an adept dodge) makes it so easy. Gunpowder Infusion 2 giving more shots than it takes to recharge is just icing on the cake. I'm in love all over again.

Maybe now I can manage to take down a Redhelm Arzuros :v:

scaterry posted:

I am so happy i can name rooms now.

I can bring back the Rathalos Plate Farm Rush

Ahh, the awful good old days. Back when headlocking was still legal and people abandoned when the tail carve was garbage.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 20, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the effortpost. You specifically mention Pierce 2 and 3--is Pierce 1 not worth using? I have the Seregios HBG right now at best, which can siege Normal 2 (!!!) and Pierce 1.

While I'm at it, do you bring combines for more Normal 2, for example, to hunts?

Pierce 1 is still good to use, especially on smaller monsters that aren't long enough to use all of the extra hits higher-level bullets get.

You won't really have to worry about combines for anything other than crag, cluster, status shots, and maaaybe elements. Maybe bring some for elder dragons, but you'll be fine as long as you don't miss every other shot.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

It definitely feels like a pain to break every part on the monster this time around. Bopped Astalos with friends a few times last night, and even he was barely surviving long enough for us to get the tail off, let alone the head or wings. Maybe this changes in high rank, or maybe partbreaker is actually useful this time around.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

Aerial HBG basically turns you into a video game shotgunner. No need to worry about distance, recoil, or reload, just pack normal/pellet/crag and go HAM

Aerial HBG is pretty strong as long as you hate your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5z0_wqBv0

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I wish my Fashion Hunting game was anywhere near this good, god drat. That sword is lovely.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I remember one time in 4U I had a hunter-for-hire fail something ludicrously easy, like steak delivery or berry gathering. It was kind of impressive in its own way.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I keep Sakura Slash around for exactly this reason >_>. In the event that it's something like Rathian who's a pain to get Adept followups on because of distance traveled after the dodge, I can still spend most of the fight in yellow or red as long as I'm filling up that hunter-art meter.

When a monster charges towards you, roll in the direction they're moving. The timing is a bit tighter since you're dodging "away" from them, but with a little practice you'll be keeping up with them no problem.

Then you can drop Sakura Slash and take the true best art, Critical Juncture.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Gammoth armor is the most metal thing, but I hate how the Blademaster and Gunner armors go about differentiating themselves. Blademaster looks like a badass ivory warrior, and gunner looks like some kinda derpy mutated bone-monster. I can swap out the head, but that doofy-lookin' claw on the ranged gloves makes me sad. Also I lose out on the skills because of said helmet swap but whatever, I have to reach peak fashion hunting ASAP.

Also I'm completely addicted to crouching fire and hunts go from tons of fun to "uggghhhh" when I run out of ammo and have to go back to firing my other shots normally. Send help.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Bows feel real bad in this one.

Weird, because everything I've seen/heard has told me that the bow is monstrously powerful this time around, Teo Bow specifically. Shamelessly dredged from the last thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxxXQx98NE

Mortimer posted:

I'm glad bow has at least one intricate thing about it, because the rest of the gameplay is keeping at critical distance and holding r and pressing a over and over until the thing dies.

That's all of the ranged weapons though. And Greatsword. Position properly -> Use your one attack -> Repeat.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Wafflz posted:

I just learned this so no idea how many games it has been in but if you put the map on the top screen then turn it off it the options it will still show when you press and hold L. This opens up so much bottom screen real estate.

Whoa, thanks. Guess I'm reorganizing my bottom screen when I get home from work tonight.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Greatsword is simple, sure, but LBG and HBG at least have strategies like siege fire and alternate bullets instead of "power coating only"

Whoa, when do I unlock bullets other than Pierce 1/2/3?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Bummey posted:

What the hell happened at 1:29? He changed his coating and then it made a bunch of noises while the coating icons up there reloaded, or something.

He crafted more on the bottom screen, I think.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

If you need bug parts, pull out the crappy Petrified Bow you started the game with and grab some poison coatings. One hit will poison them guaranteed, at least in low rank, and the tiny raw on the bow wont kill them on impact. Just wait a few seconds for them to croak and collect your wings/stomachs/bugbutts.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mmm, and just check out how many upgrades there are! For one weapon!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The other big negative is that its online is deader than your average pubbie.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Meanwhile I look at your sad, fluffy girl-version Gammoth armor and wonder how you can enjoy not being a hulking killmonster, covered in 200 pounds of tusk and bone.

The best thing about Asstalons armor is that the glowy green bits are what change color, so you can be any flavor you want. It's pretty slick.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Is pierce just flat out better than normal, then? I've been using the Gore HBG, which sieges Normal and Pierce 2's. Been ignoring pierce in lieu of just machinegunning Normal 2's into the monster's skull.

It probably helps that I barely ever shoot outside of crouch fire. Being a turret is too much fun.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

RME posted:

everything gets expensive

Honey is always super cheap, and the True Endgame is stockpiling as much as you can, soooo....

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unlocked 6 star village, decided to give this Garuga quest a shot. Did not realize he was high rank.

Christ, does Garuga need a rework or something. I get that he's supposed to be SUPER KUT-KU and all, but the fact that he has zero wind-up time on any of his attacks really bothers me. "Oh cool, you just finished a charge and I'm behind you, so I'm good to get off one hit, right?" Nope, 180 degree beakslam, say goodbye to 70% of your health.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Mizutsune was a fun fight, but I feel like I missed something about the bubble status? I got bubbled twice and all of a sudden his offensive bubbles were different colors and stuff

First time a bubble hits you, it puts you in a sorta warning state. Nothing actually happens, but you get a little soapy. If another bubble connects before that wears off, you go into full-on slip and slide mode. You can superman fling yourself at high velocity and slide around like you're on skates. It's technically bad, but it's fun to fling yourself off ledges.

The green and red bubbles give you a stack of soapiness like any other, but they also heal and give you a damage buff respectively.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Soeaking of the hunting horn, what is the Finale song I see on a couple of them?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

That said, his classification as an elder dragon has nothing to do with his arm/wing setup. It has to do with the fact that the frenzy he spreads effectively makes him a walking natural disaster.
:goonsay:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I love the disconnect between gunners and melee users. I adore fighting the Yian Garuga, Khezu, and Gravios when apparently everybody else absolutely despises them.

Although things like all the monkey monsters and the Tigrex are absolute pains, but I don't know if melee users hate them too.

As someone who primarily uses the HBG, Garuga can go gently caress himself. I prefer to roll to the right, so I always dodge right into his beakslam. I also absolutely hate that none of his attacks have any wind-up at all. He's just sorta, "alright is my previous animation complete? alright frame 1 charge hitbox GOTTA GO FAST."

Conversely I find Tigrex trivial with a gun so maybe I'm just weird. :shrug:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Has anyone made some sort of quick-reference guide to fighting different monsters? Sometimes I totally forget that I need to take antidotes or nulberries etc. for certain monsters, and looking up stuff like elemental and bomb weaknesses is a pain. Things like Kiranico and the phone database are helpful, but their format of listing every single detail of every stat isn't helpful when I'm the last person to accept a quest in a 4 player game and everyone is waiting on me to gear up.

Maybe this is helpful?

deadly_pudding posted:

Okay, but have you considered: adept HBG, where you are rewarded specifically for rolling directly into his beak.

I'm usually rock Adept HBG yeah, and for the life of me I just cannot get the timing on rolling into the beakslam. Entirely my fault, but far from the only reason Garuga makes me seethe with infantile rage.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

If you need Dragonite, send your Meownster Hunters to the volcano. They'll shower you in the stuff.

I do think it would be nice to see what a weapon's future forms are ahead of time, instead of just "????? until level 4". You're not going to surprise me game; I know Uragaan exists. Any super secret elder dragon endgame weapon you're trying to hide the existence of doesn't care about this system, because their stuff is crafted straight-up.

The biggest costs in making the three Buster Sword weapons is the pile of 36 earth crystals you need to get past the level 2 gate. Everything else is pretty common ore stuff. I can see how this scenario could get out of hand when you're not dealing with a metal-weapon as your base, though...

Squidtentacle posted:

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone have any tips for soloing Redhelm Arzuros? Is it reasonable to do with equipment I've upgraded to the best of LR's ability? It feels like I SHOULD be able to do it, considering the stats on the armor, but that fucker hits like a truck filled with bears.

Only advice I can give is that traps are incredibly useful against him, but not for sneaking in extra damage. When Redhelm gets tired and goes hunting for something to eat, it's extremely obvious. He'll slooooooowly walk towards a honey spot, giving you plenty of time to rush ahead, drop a trap in front of it, and watch him fall in like a goober. It won't help you while he's enraged, but making sure he can't get a chance to catch his breath and get out of tired mode is what got me through the fight in LR gear.

I don't want to talk about Redhelm 2.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 28, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I probably have a poo poo-ton of them myself; it's still super weird to me that they're so common now. I seem to remember ancientshard weapons being a completely motherfucker to craft because of never having enough earth crystals, to the point of specifically having to go out and look for them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking as an LS user why in the flying hell do so many LS users not go for the tail, we are criminal loving masterminds at slicing those things off
I'm gonna shake up your world here but

People are dumb

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Because liking Khezu is wrong, and the game is desperately trying to make you realize that.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's uh.. that's less time than it took me offline.

To be fair, SA (particularly aerial) puts out a ludicrous amount of damage in this installment. Soloing online stuff is usually gonna take a good long while.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Wasn't 4th charge level 170% raw in 4U? Did they change that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

So after not liking it at all in the demo, I decided to give the Gunlance another shot. It was my baby in 4U, and nothing else really feels as comfortable. Kinda like putting on an old pair of shoes.

I still don't like the heat meter. I think it's a huge pain and the weapon did not need to be nerfed. But....I still really like GL despite it. Blast Dash is the greatest loving thing. I ramped off a sand dune the other night, bashed Seregios out of the air, and got a mount off of it. Then I tried it again, missed, and zoned myself. It was great.

Anyway, I've mostly been using Striker style since I always used Long types, but i feel like branching out to Normal. How well does Adept work for GL? I would try aerial but it feels completely braindead and my buddies would hate me for exploding them constantly.

• Locked thread