Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ready to make some hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Keep all your Monster Hunter games and go back and play them on occasion. FU and P3rd are still really fun, 3U is real good if you can deal with the water combat (I like it but I know I'm in the minority). 4U will still be good after Friday.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Is there a good guide on online stuff? Like, from basic "how to" to etiquette to more advanced stuff.

I haven't touched any of the online yet in MH4U as I'm kind of a recluse gamer (even in MMOs) but maybe I should actually give it an honest try in Generations.

Don't show up for high rank Rathalos in a mixed set with Fire Res -20 as the only skill activated.

Or do that if you are really good at not getting hit and just want to clown.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around.

Look at this bad weapon solo demo narga in 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsewWZOKqXM

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

etc etc

Besides, the most stylish is aerial heavy bowgun pellet, which isn't a lance or a gunlance.

The point is that "the really bad weapon" kills the monster in 4 minutes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

keyboard vomit posted:

Keep in mind gunlance is a Lance with explosions stuck to the end of it so it's rad as hell and that's more important.

This is the kind of perspective we need.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Electric Lady posted:

Play with goons and avoid cheaters~

It's funny you posted this in the middle of powersave chat.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Your Computer posted:

So uh, I just fought Yian Garuga for the first time. :goleft: I assume everyone had a good laugh at the board meeting where he was being designed.

"... and then we'll give him an instant beak slam with a huge hitbox"

:classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

moush posted:

I thought it was striker style that got a boost to arts charging?

It is.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I posted in the general Nintendo thread but as a new player to the series, how out of my depth am I going to be? The baffling complexity is exactly why I ordered it

The games are pretty good about easing you into things, it will be awhile before you start using phone apps or kiranico before every hunt. Just try all the weapons and find one or more that you enjoy and then use them to smash and wear monsters.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Re: potion flexing, not only is it a mechanic (the drinking part of the animation would just be made longer with no flex), it's funny. Like, Monster Hunter isn't just a game of badasses fighting huge dragons, it's a game where you do that while your purple bipedal cat named Ryu is waving pompoms around, your character is wielding a giant fish, and your boss tells you about her crush on said huge dragon.

The flex is just another way your stupid brute of a hunter - who also pats their belly after eating a whole meat lump and cheers after successfully preparing said meat - establishes the world's tone. The gameplay in MH is what makes you, the player, feel like a badass, but the world itself makes you laugh and takes the sting out when you fail.

MH has so much personality it could lend some to other hunting games and still come out ahead.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zore posted:

I tried it and it doesn't list Great Jaggi in the list of large monsters.

0/10

Great Jaggi isn't in MHG

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You slip the guild monster butcher a fiver

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

As stylish as MHG is we need Dante armor for us this time and not the cat.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Barrel cat being back is so good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fully staffed cat missions are loud.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

scissorman posted:

I'm thinking of going bow or HBG but I've got a question first:
Are there parts you can only obtain by cutting tails or other weapon-specific damage types?
Do you need these for your weapon or armor?
It would be annoying to have to switch to another weapon to get parts for my main weapon.

Yeah there are specific tail parts and also other specific break parts. You can cut tails with a bow by using the melee attack, it takes a lot more time than swapping to melee for one hunt though. Boomerangs also do cutting damage so you can use those and the bow melee to cut them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ethiser posted:

Bows have a Hunter Art that gives them cutting damage and blowguns have special bullets to cut tails.

Oh right, still not used to gen. yeah the bow hunter art fires 2 arrows with a cable between them that does cut damage. It's a timed thing so for as long as it is active you fire these shots.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

scissorman posted:

I thought that those aren't very good?
So I'd like to know if the drops from tailcutting are even necessary if you use a weapon bad at them.

You will almost certainly run into needed tail parts while making armor and weapons, yeah.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Optimal newbie armor for guild chargeblade?

bulldrome cap (not helm)
jaggi mail
bulldrome gloves
jaggi waist
bulldrome legs

+ 4 attack jewels gives attack up L

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Ok I'm making the bujabujabu set but for the life of me I can't remember what I did to meet Jaggis and also where the disc stones or whatever are found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

There a 2* gh quest that has kill 8 jaggi as the sub and they spawn infinitely in area 4 or 5 of that map

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Man, Prowler really is easy mode for gathering quests-
Infinite stamina
Infinite pickaxes and bug nets
Extra inventory slots since you can't use consumables

I don't think I could ever go back to grinding Gather points as a human. This Transpurrter guy is also a straight baller. Please tell me that's a new thing for this game because why on Earth would they have ever taken it out?

He was in portable 3rd which was never localized so a lot of people have never seen him but yeah, they took him out in 3U and 4U.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

The writing is pretty alright and every time I hear, "Seeeee Yaaaaa!" I get a big smile on my face.

I'm having a real problem actually using my skills, I wish there were another button somewhere to remap at least one of them.

r+a+b is art 1
zl is 2 and zr is 3 is you have a n3ds

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is probably old news to some people but when you are a cat crouch with b while not moving then press r+b to go underground.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rascyc posted:

The whole can't lay more than one trap is mainly why I kill over capture unless capturing is required for a particular drop.

For caps I only ever lay the trap under a sleeping monster for precisely this reason. Mostly I just use traps to beat on them if I'm running a stylish bombing set.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do you just not get an area map in Prowler Mode?

Just grab it from the box

e: I changed all my panels around right from the start so I don't know if this is a new player question or a UI question

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Get the excavation skill for at least one of your cats, you won't be disappointed.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You could use the moofa sword to sleep narga then bomb his wings.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Your Computer posted:

With the amount of grinding I'm doing, at this point I'm gonna break a record for "most time spent in Low Rank" :shepface:

MH5 hasn't even been announced, then it will have to come out in Japan, then it will have to be localized if we even get 5 and they don't just make us wait for 5U.

No need to rush.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Electric Lady posted:

When she does it on the ground, she takes a few steps back before doing the backflip.

When she does it in the air there's no tell. :cry:

Her being in the air is the tell :D

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SilverGryphon posted:

Yeah there's something weird with the HP of monsters. I just finished the Mountain Roughrider Village 2* quest in 3:58:90. That includes the kill three Bulfango subquest. O_O I only have like a stage 2 Fader Rod and BuJaBuJaBu set. ?

This feels kinda wrong and overly easy. When do I start getting my rear end kicked properly?

Also that Bulldrome gave me two heads.

The full attack up L from bujabujabu is basically 20-25% more attack in the early game so it makes a massive difference.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Snak posted:

Okay... same problem as with pickaxes but with bug nets now... I feel like I'm missing the training part of these training quests... am I blind, or is the game just hoping I'll figure out how to complete the very first objectives it gives me?

Bug nets are ivy and different bones. If you want to save the headache of this though, go to the palico board in your house, select a prowler then change mode to be a cat. Cats get unlimited pickaxes and nets and they don't use stamina. Basically do all your gathering as a cat unless you need to use specific fish baits or carry something heavy like a wyvern egg, gargwa egg, meteorite shard, etc.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Relentless posted:

I've actually been doing the wyvern egg type ones as a cat too. They seem to have a lower aggro radius so you can just skirt past them like it ain't no thang.

They can't run though, make the loc lac set and eat for lander, take a dash juice and just sprint the egg home

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wow do I hate these wycademy point quests. 50 points shy after a hunt and full lap of gathering. :/ I don't wanna gently caress with egggggs

Take a few goldenfish bait. Goldenfish are worth 500 points each.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Don't some of the monster masks have +10 on skills? Like the Jaggi mask and Gargwa mask, if they are even in this game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Earn 1000 points in Arctic ridge is fast if you aren't to kelbi horns yet, take 2 golden fish bait, fish in first area, turn in 2 fish.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I just learned this so no idea how many games it has been in but if you put the map on the top screen then turn it off it the options it will still show when you press and hold L. This opens up so much bottom screen real estate.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but after like, 4 MH games, I've been stonewalled by...an Egg Delivery quest.

3 star village, the one where you first meet the flying electric wyvern guy . Both adjacent areas to the nest just seem to have drops that shatter my egg. What am I meant to do here? Is there an alternate route?

2 things you can do:

1. Eat for felyne lander, you can then just jump off the cliff (don't press B)
2. Walk (don't press R) up to the cliff edge until you get the prompt, press A to climb down.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

You can climb with the eggs? :aaa:

Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks.

np, the best way to do transport missions

1. Create the Loc Lac armor set, it's only 3 pieces
2. Combine bitter bug and honey for catalyst then combine catalyst with rare steak for dash juice
3. Eat for felyne lander
4. Run to the item, drink the juice, pick up the item and run all the way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BMan posted:

I must be the only person who didn't hate the underwater combat. Except underwater SnS, gently caress that thing.

Nope, I liked it.

• Locked thread