Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My friend has limited money so I was hoping the free demo would be enough to convince him to get into MH. We play games together all the time so I had my hopes up, but he admitted that he simply had no idea what he was doing, even after several hunts. Which makes sense, but he decided not to get the game, so it's put a bit of a damper on today for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mortimer posted:

wicked same

"these controls suck"
"why isn't it on a console or PC"

some of them who are big dark souls AND grindy RPG apologists won't even touch it

I don't get it :shrug: MH owns, MHG is gonna own

My amazon package arrived, amazon has their own delivery service now and they kinda suck real hard, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone else affected by them

This friend is pretty level but I did have another who bought 4u, wiped to Great Jaggi four times, and never picked up the game again. I can't begin to describe how stupid that was.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

The writing is pretty alright and every time I hear, "Seeeee Yaaaaa!" I get a big smile on my face.

I thought I wasn't gonna like her as much as the Guildmarm but that line makes me grin far too often, yeah

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Remove Gypceros

this makes two games in a row where I hunted him for parts and wanted to kill myself rather than finish the hunt

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

PathAsc posted:

Don't pub if you can help it.

I dunno, I joined a random pub last night and they just did all the necessary quests for the urgent for everyone, then just traded the urgent around. All without saying anything.

Your mileage may vary I guess

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Malfestio's "confusion" bullshit where your controls are inverted is bad game design and this poo poo is never fun in any video game. Other than that the game is good.

I've never had a problem with it but that might be yet another notch in the "learn to move with inverted controls" ladder of video games I've played.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of plates right after that dude complained about having to farm one a few pages ago I got one on my very first Astalos. Unless plates can't drop in LR, in which case I am hallucinating.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

No weapon in this game is complicated provided you do a training quest and go kill great maccao a couple times

^^^

There are weapons I don't know how to use and the entry curve seems kind of intimidating like Hunting Horn or HBG but yeah this sums up how I feel about all the weapons in MH and why the game is fun. There's nothing stopping you from trying out something new.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Zore posted:

Also IG arts suck.

I think Bug Blow is cool...

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Gets more challenging, yes, but that goes for all weapons :v: I meant more in terms of Adept Bow vs. Anything melee. For instance, do monsters change up their moveset and get more deadly at range than close up? That kinda stuff. Good point about multiple mobs though, I hadn't even considered that.

e: and I guess armor is a bigger deal than I've been lead to believe

Lategame monsters are fast and mean and can close distance incredibly quickly, or have wide range moves. It becomes a matter of simply being near them is dangerous. Malfestio is cake.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I wasn't trying to say he was difficult or anything, I just meant the general disparity in difficulty between ranged and melee at this point in the game.

Told ya I'd sound like a dumbass :downs:

I can't really blame you for asking, honestly the monsters even up to Malfestio pose no real threat to any style.

At especially high ranks the downside to playing a Gunner class is that most monsters, if they hit you, can kill you in around two shots. Probably one if you have bad resistances or if it's their big fuckoff attack.

Unless you're going full media blackout on the game, if you're curious as to what to expect in the future check out Glavenus, or Seregios, or Zinogre, to name a few.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Sooooo Botany/Herbology...

Are we talking Herbs into Mega Potions or just Potions? Seeing as I have a garbage +9 charm for it I'm leaning just potions.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Rascyc posted:

In my brain I know striker and adept CB are better than guild but I still gravitate towards guild rip

Does it matter, though? Don't let the perceived meta of MH bog you down, just hunt how you want. As long as you're hitting and killing mons, you're hunting right.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Some reddit post I can't actually find right now said if you get to HR4 Hub you'll unlock everything for trading--all the wagons and trade items--without having to do any prowler garbage in the village. Is this true?

I didn't see anyone else answering this but by HR4 (it might be 5, I had a big spree last night) you do in fact unlock all three carts, more Palico space, more meownster hunter locales (and high rank for that) and a lot more! It was a nice surprise.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lynza posted:

Thanks to SOME JERK I just tried the Adept HBG and oh my good sweet jebus, I love it.

So, uh, what's a good armor/skill to shoot for (tee hee) with HBG? I'm still in LR.

I just did Glavenus for bowguns in LR but honestly it doesn't really matter

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Holy moley the charm farming in this game

I am stacked

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Noper Q posted:

Please share your secrets with the class. I love me some charm farming.

Honestly I don't know if it's optimal, but I joined a lobby and we ran the 6* coal mining quest in the volcano.

Deliver 30 coal and bail, I always had two rows of mostly Timeworn charms, always at least two Ancient shards.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm a bit put off that the chat when you cart was taken out. Not that I cart a lot, but in 4U I used "T-tell the Guildmarm that I..." and now I can't do that any more. Being silly is half the fun of the chat presets.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Snak posted:

how do I set this up?

They're already there in your chat presets, just disabled. So you can edit them and enable them.

Fuzz posted:

Anyone done that nubbin mod? Seems janky.

a few pages back there was a discussion about this, actually

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

SilverGryphon posted:

Where would the soonest place to find Armor Sphere+'s be?
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/armor-sphere+

Alternatively if you don't find that site useful: Low Rank Volcano online, in locations starting at Village 4* offline, it seems.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Space Hamlet posted:

I know, and I'll probly do it and have a fun time. Just slightly bummed to be making the compromise. I heard all these complaints about there bein' no G-rank and was like "i dont care" but oh half of the singleplayer game i'm used to is also missing how come that never got said

I'm not 100% but I think because every MH for a while has been that way? Most all the cool stuff is online because at its core MH is about hunting in groups. I'm not sure about your reasons but playing Monster Hunter solo really is missing out on part of the core of the game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Gammoth would be really cool if he wasn't huge and it hosed with the camera in melee range, and the areas you fight him in are small compared to his girth

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The fact that High Rank Mizutsune armor gives you Attack Up (L) when inflicted with a negative status and that the bubbles it generates counts as a negative status is awesome.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

The whole level mechanic with the deviants kinda megasucks if you want to get the armor with PUGs. I've made a room for Stonefist Hermitaur named "lvl 4" and in 20 minutes, I've had 2 people join, run up to quest board (the quest I currently have active is the level 4 stonefist quest) and immediately leave. I don't even want to do the level 4 quest. I just need to do it to unlock the level 5 quest which I need to unlock the level 6 quest. The urgent style quest progression is also a pretty poo poo idea.

I was running a lobby with a friend last night called "LR Mizu Farm" with "3*" set as the type of quest, and had no less than four people run in and queue up the 5* Urgent. I promptly kicked them.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Holy poo poo, new least favorite fight. I'll spoiler it just because maybe it's a village quest spoiler since I haven't seen people mention it before...and for whatever reason the quest disappeared after I finished it, Kirin. Never standing still for more than 5 seconds, worse than Blangonga... Lightning more annoying than Khezu and staying in that lightning form 80% of the time during which it's skin is the hardest of any monster I've seen. To top all of that off, it appears that you can't even trap it???

Yea, real fun fight. Will avoid 100% if possible.

You can't trap Elder Dragons. They're too smart. Or... something.

He's an interesting fight, most of the annoyance is owed to his size and speed. Really low health is the tradeoff.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

EightFlyingCars posted:

Capcom please give us plate mail boykinis for MH5

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I got tricked - you don't get Deviant Soul skills until armor level 6. I suppose it makes sense given that farming the Level 1 is fairly easy all things considered.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 26, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Oddly I found Deadeye Garuga fun (I guess I have to if I want level 6) and after dealing with him, the regular guy is kind of trivial. But he is super annoying for sure.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

As far as aggressive monsters go, I feel like Yian Garuga is a good example of how not to do it while Nargacuga is a good example of the perfect way to do it. Both were terrifying when I first fought them, but after fighting them many times I can now clown on Nargacuga (feels great) while Yian Garuga is still a massive unfun pain in the butt.

Nargacuga is like the Artorias of Monster Hunter, Yian Garuga is like... uh... trash garbage :effort:

I stand by "Deadeye is kind of fun" but ymmv

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kashuno posted:

I really like the upgrading. It feels like there are more options (98 unique Gunlances in MHGen, I'd have to check 4U again to see) and they make old weapons still feel good. Like how the iron gunlance looks? Great, max it out and it's still viable. I like the Petrified line, so I can have a petrified gunlance that isn't trash late game. It's neat and I don't mind it. Also it lets me map out what I'm doing a lot easier.

I agree, it makes it feel like anything you pick is or will be eventually viable. I just finished up Death prize and although I wish it looked a little better it was cool to get a strong weapon from relatively easy to get parts.

I mean in 4U some weapons regardless of how cool they were became a bad choice due to just a numbers game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Squidtentacle posted:

Well poo poo. I beat Redhelm Hunt 2 before I realized that you can only make the equipment with level 1 tickets. Every level after that is only for upgrading and materials. So that was kind of wasted progression.

Time to see how many Redhelms I can slaughter in my 3 hour flight today I guess! Good thing this game's grinding is fun as hell.

Every subsequent armor level requires the next ticket so you didn't make a huge mistake

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

lets hang out posted:

get real good at adept dodging it

this or get a shield, I ran him with SnS and the fact that my tiny little board was able to withstand his spin was hilarious but convenient.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

MonHun really, really needs a transmog/glamour type system so you can fashion hunt and not be grossly suboptimal.

I absolutely disagree but that's because I'm old fashioned and hate transmog. I'm a big fan of what you see is what you get, even if that ends up looking goofy.

For you fashion hunters out there I can definitely sympathize.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this. For me the problem is that I really dislike the endgame aesthetic (of most games, tbh), like Glavenus' stuff and would rather go around looking less.. anime?

Hellblade Glavenus armor is one of the better endgame sets and looks great, imo

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Sakura Slash is two gigantic slashes, Critical Juncture doesn't really look like much other than a really fast downward stroke, but that was probably it because it does to quite a bit of damage iirc

Or it could just be the Spirit Combo finisher, that thing is plenty flashy on its own now

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Chaitai posted:

Is there a particular armor I should be building towards at a SnS user? I'm HR3, and I'm on 4* village quests. I'm still using the Bujabujabu armor with Viper Bite 2 SnS.

Dreadqueen for Status SnS. Otherwise I'm not sure. Deadeye is a good all rounder deviant set. For clownsuits or full sets just pick cool skills you like.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kashuno posted:

I think I have single handedly caused yian kutku extinction with how many flame sacs I needed.

Doing God's work, friend

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

The money aspect isn't very attractive since I can just do Coal Hearted for an hour and get a million zenny no problem.

I'm so loving sick of SW Nargacuga I might be putting the game down entirely. I got to level 8 and finally reached the point where I can upgrade the SW armor past the point of my Narga S armor so it wasn't a downgrade in terms of defense, but now it's just... as a melee character his loving tail slam one-shots me at full health, and there's so little wind-up on it, there's almost no chance to react.

It's such a tedious slog of a fight of running back and forth and playing extremely defensively. It'd be fine if I only had to do each step once, but right now VIII just destroys the gently caress out of me and I still have 6 rounds of IX and X to look forward to, and it doesn't matter if I have defense L or that I slotted in a protection talisman, I can't upgrade my armor further so I'm at a complete dead-end, not wanting to join teams and just get one-shot over and over.

I don't know if I'm just loving bad or what, but that's what it feels like.

Six rounds? You only need to do each quest three times for the tickets for the armor. Six would give you 12 tickets. Just trying to make everything?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
In a three man lobby a friend posted Alatreon as a joke, since neither of us had fought him before. The sub quest was break his horns, so we laughed it off and figured we'd abandon after three or so minutes.

Fifteen minutes later we had killed him, with both horns broken and a tail sever. It felt great.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Skippy Granola posted:

Monster Hunter GO, where you wander around throwing meownster hunters at yian kut-ku in your neighbourhood

There is already a Monster Hunter mobile game with at least one Attack on Titan crossover Deviljho in it

• Locked thread