Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mortimer posted:

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

Man that's horrific. Since some people here apparently can't math, these gunlance times are 58% and 42% longer than the lance times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Most of the time you just fire your bug straight out without using the pheremone.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

don't get hit, hit it until it dies

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I think you'll find that Neko means "Tiger" :colbert:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mortimer posted:

whats the SOP for playing on discord

push to talk seems real bad because of holding a 3ds, but open mic means you can hear other peoples game sounds

What I do for VOIPing while playing monster hunter:
Using a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, connect the 3DS headphone jack to an input jack on a computer. Turn on "listen to this device" and hear both VOIP and the game through a headset connected to the computer.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So far I'm 3 for 4 in these "you're not supposed to fight this monster yet" quests (Glavenus super telegraphed 1-shot tail spin attack :arghfist::saddowns:)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Something I've noticed about Adept evasion is that it prevents you from getting hit again by the same attack you dodged, just like blocking. Very useful against Khezu's lightning for example.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That's a rustshard weapon, so good luck with that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

According to what I've read you only have to do each arena quest with one weapon, thank god.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

katkillad2 posted:

Is there some weird thing with Lance where if your first attack of a combo bounces off all other attacks in that combo will bounce off as well? It seems like if the first attack bounces I have to stop the combo or literally every attack after will continue to bounce. Hopefully what I'm describing makes sense, it's not even just only on the hard body parts as it happens just attacking the body as well.

Also I'm pretty sure Lance is a dying breed, not anime enough compared to the other weapons. Also watching people online beat stuff in half the time with some of the other weapons probably has a lot to do with it.

How would you continue a combo if you're bouncing off :confused:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Walk up to a ledge and press A to climb down it (also works if you're not a cat)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Re: Lagi, Adept is real good against those lingering AoE attacks. Either that or use a blocking weapon, lance was my go-to Lagi killer in MH3.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

But why? Having the map on the bottom screen owns :colbert:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Selling the scales you get from Meownster Hunters seems like it would be a good source of extra cash, since you can get up to 8 of them per quest.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I must be the only person who didn't hate the underwater combat. Except underwater SnS, gently caress that thing.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wafflz posted:

R+X,X,X,A,A

Note that in adept this does the shield bash, which also knocks your teammates around.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've been using adept dual blades lately, and my God.
  • Only loses one rarely used move
  • Insta-evade charges the demon gauge
  • Insta-evade is also an attack
  • Fast demon dashes instead of the run
  • Second dash can change direction
  • Dashes are completely invincible
Who thought this was balanced???

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

i am tim! posted:

Don't drop the trap if they're about to run! I know it's nigh impossible to tell when a monster is ABOUT to run, but it's something you'll get a feel for after a while. You REALLY don't want a monster to flee an area after you drop a trap, because you can only drop one trap at a time and they take forever to despawn if a monster doesn't trip it. One way to help avoid this is to bring dungbombs to force the monster to flee on your terms.

Don't drop them up against a wall! I made this mistake yesterday with a Velocidrome. Turns out if you drop a trap right against a wall, invisible or not, the monster's hitbox will keep 'em from stepping on the trigger.

"Drop traps next to the wall when the monster is leaving, got it"
- My cats

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zmej posted:

is it OK to say gently caress it and start playing dress up hunter? I'm about to clear HR 7 on the hub. I'm just sick of Bone set for HH :smith:

like I'll use armor sets that have useful skills but it won't be as optimal as Bone set with Sharpness decorations or whatever

If you're worried about not having Maestro, don't be. You can gem that into anything with 5 slots.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also fire the person responsible for the "slay 50 insect" quests, and then have them executed by gassing with bug bombs.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neo_Crimson posted:

There is. I forget what it's called, but you can get it if you cook sushifish in the Rife Roast option in the kitchen.

This has been nerfed, the gourmet fish gives you the red health recovery but it has the steak eating animation and doesn't cure bleeding. Regular sushifish is the new bleeding cure.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I don't think anybody mentioned this yet, but only certain monster hitboxes can receive mounting damage. If you don't see the yellow flash, it means you hit the wrong hitbox and no mounting damage was applied.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So I scoured the weapon tree to find out what is the most powerful raw damage long sword to use with sharpness+2, and it turns out to be... the regular Arzuros one? I was not expecting that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rathalos poison comes from the claws, not the tail.

:goonsay:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Squidtentacle posted:

You'll never know what a combo is until you make it. There's no getting around that.

The combo list does tell you all possible combinations in the game, it just hides the results until you make them. So if you just make 1 of everything as you gain the required items it's not a problem.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well, the regular glavenus set is 3 points away from sharpness +2. It also has enough slots that you can gem in a skill from scratch.

e: Unless you meant variety in the fashion sense, in which case this is a terrible idea

BMan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 26, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Elman posted:

play Adept and Dark Souls your way through the game

Yes, do this

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

And Tyler Too! posted:

I am starting to really hate adept style.

"Great job dodging that attack, now you get to run in a straight line and you can't change your direction! Of course Gypceros will hold still long enough for you to land that near instant lvl 3 Charge!" "No, Khezu isn't going to keep using his electric nova, promise! That spirit gauge will be filled in no time!" :negative:

Friend, have you heard the good news of our lord and savior Dual Blades?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"The actual game" is a weird thing to call the excuse plot, but OK.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The plot of MH5 (SPOILERS):

A new scary monster is threatening the village! But as a new hunter, you aren't a bad enough dude to fight it yet. Go do some other quests until you're ready.
Oh, you defeated the monster? That's nice, but an even bigger and scarier monster just appeared! Now go back to questing until we let you fight it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lets hang out posted:

Worked super well for the wiiu

It's me, I'm the monster hunter Wii U buyer

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Yian Kut-Ku will be replaced with Qurupeco for Double Cross

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Velocidrome will be replaced with Great Jaggi for Double Cross

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Khezu will be replaced with Gigginox for Double Cross

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Japan can keep their chibi JRPG monster hunter spinoff, tbh

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ignimbrite posted:

The felyne from stories freaks me out.

:agreed:

Just look at that loving face

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is (I think) incredibly rare, but it is also incredibly awesome when it happens.

It's a different experience than yours, we didn't get the quest fail music so yours is more baffling, but I had a similar moment happen when a friend and I first fought a Rathian online. I was Aerial styling and managed to Aerial style myself right into the Rathian's big red glowing mouth. Naturally I get blasted with a fireball and die (Completely empty health bar, third cart) but my friend killed it at the same time, so it counted as our win. Maybe it's a slight lag/latency thing that counted it as a successful kill before you died so it synced in their favor?

Related to this, if you get killed in midair, it is possible to get lifepowdered back to life before you hit the ground and officially die.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If Monster Hunter The Movie makes a profit, we're sure to see a series of equally terrible sequels. So uh, look forward to that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Really? Is ~$50M considered a cheap film these days?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Evasion +3 only exists in 4U.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Your Computer posted:

I remember reading that you have to do quests twice and stuff, and it sounds like a hassle to organize (I've literally never touched the feature).

With Urgent quests, quest completion only counts for the host. Unfortunately in MHGen they added a ton of other quests that act like this, namely villager requests and deviant monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neo_Crimson posted:

Too bad the skills are garbage.

As a shameless min-maxer, this is my problem with 99% of the armors in these games.

• Locked thread