Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think people just have a hard time accepting change when it comes to monster hunter, and it kinda makes sense considering there are tons of hunting games now and none of them got the formula right like monster hunter itself. Some people got real mad at tired monsters on Gen 3 and some people hate styles and hunting arts, but you'll always get these people.

But I think the majority of people are really close to getting something like Souls Fatigue with so many years of very similar games.

I just "finished" MHXX recently and I think it is the perfect sendoff to the classic monster hunter style with areas and flexing after potions. It has so many good ideas (especially regarding Hunting Horns) that I'm sad some of them won't make it to monster hunter world. Even then, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stomach another monster hunter game in this style, no matter how many new cool monsters they make. I probably wouldn't even care about MHX/XX as much if they didn't change things up a lot like they did.

I'm looking forward to world and I really hope they don't gently caress it up. I especially hope they kill all really lovely ideas that they insisted on bringing back for every game, like not telling you which quests are key quests and basically the entire loving urgent quest system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if this game has a moderately small amount of monsters at first, since they can't just reuse models and AI like they did with all previous games.

I'm interested to know how they will do things regarding new content this time around. They should kill expansions and focus on DLC packs IMO.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So you want to buy the base game twice? They should release the G version as a decently priced DLC, not as a standalone game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

g rank is fun but its more or less a new game+ mode with slightly harder monsters

it really doesnt seem too hard to make because the monsters are mostly recolors with more stats who spam their worst attacks more

but it really is just the easiest way to resell the same game twice

nah, the G Rank expansions always have new areas and new monsters too. Also they usually bring back old monsters and they're only available at G-Rank. G-Rank armors sometimes have completely new models and all of them have new armor skills to fiddle around with. So G is basically an excuse to fit more content at the end of the game.

Most people never notice this because historically the West only ever got G releases until monster hunter generations (and apparently because it got the non G version it will never get it)

And speaking of which, if you're a monster hunter veteran and have a switch, there's zero reason not to get MHXX. You can buy from the JP eShop with american credit cards and kiranico makes it trivial to figure your way around the game and get your desired builds. Hell, you'd be using kiranico anyway.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They already give out slickaxes with the free DLC, though. Those allow you to duplicate ores and bugs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've played the series so much I'm at the point where I go through the entire village campaign on armor and weapons bought on the store, and just make a new set once I reach high rank and G-Rank. Only then I start grinding for different loadouts. Most of them only require ores and bugs to upgrade, and easy non-specific monster parts.

The bone armor is especially good for hunting horn on MHGen, where it gets maestro, knockout king and blunt power. Easy as hell to upgrade.

Now that we're getting a real new game, I'll probably take it easy again.

Also I kinda wish we could get random weapons a la mh4u again. It was basically the only way you could get a hunting horn with a decent note set, decent damage and decent status/element.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's no need to cheat items. If you can let go of one armor skill, mycology is very easy to gem and you never need to make consumables again. Not to mention you get 10 ancient potions and 10 mega dash juices, which is crazy broken.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Did anyone notice in the IGN Barroth hunt video that Barroth can now attempt to use his "shake mud every where like a wet dog" attack while clean? If he does, the attack fails and the befuddled dino will turn around to peek at his butt and shake it vainly looking for mud. I hope more monsters get adorable "oops" animations like that.

Nothing is funnier than Gypceros trying to flash you after you break its stone.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thankfully I've only had black cats. Naming it will be hell though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I kinda feel like this is the game where they'll add not only more clothing options but also character creation options with dlc. I don't see why they couldn't enable the new lynx ears and color sets for your palico. They might even be there already.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I managed to stave off buying a PS4 because I borrowed one for bloodborne, persona, nier and yakuza 0. Now that we're on the verge of getting the monster hunter demo and a new EDF next month I'm definitely getting one.

There's definitely enough games there for me, and more to come.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing shittier than the urgent quest system is when you need to to like 2 or 3 of them in a row to rank up. I really hope that's gone.

Also one question about the join mid quest thing. Does anyone even know how that will work out? Will you just enter a queue and wait for someone to call for help? Will you be able to choose the quest you'll join?

I don't really see myself using that feature (either hosting or joining), but we'll see.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

The justification for urgent quests behaving that way is a narrative one; It's YOUR urgent quest. It's like a rite of passage. Everyone has to do it. Your friends can help, but they still have to do their own. It makes more sense, both from a narrative and a mechanical standpoint, if people aren't forming hunting groups, and you do quests with different people, and the group you're with is all at different levels of progression, so you end up doing an urgent quest once at a time, and maybe at some other time helping someone with theirs. The "do the same quest four times in a row" thing ended up being the result because people tend to stick together for large periods of time, one group doing a ton of quests, and everyone ends up at the same rank, so they all hit their urgent at the same time and run them all at once. The intention of the design of urgent quests wasn't to have you do that quest for everyone in the lobby all in a row, that's just how it ended up working out because the community plays that way.

That's not to defend it, mind you. I kind of like urgent quests the way they are, but that's because of nostalgia stockholm syndrome and a hate of change. It would certainly be more player friendly if the urgent counted for everyone involved, at least as long as those players already had that urgent up.

That's how it ended up because it's exactly how lobby search works. you search for lobbies with the same HR and the Urgent quest selected. People that aren't already at the urgent have no interest in doing it because it gives them no progression at all. Same for people at lower or higher HRs. The only chance you have is that some HR999 dudes will join up to kill some time (and you're the host, because you can be sure they won't stay for a second run).

Seriously, if they made it so you have to run an urgent 4 times, host or not it would be better than what we have now. In some situations I ended up running an urgent 7-8 times because people would bail on my turn.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Terrific Accident posted:

Having played the beta, I wouldn't hold my breath for Dauntless being any good. The combat is janky even by monster hunter standards and they tried way too hard to make the weapons distinct from their MH counterparts. The hammer has a poorly explained gun mechanic that doesn't jive with the playstyle and the sword is extremely simple except for a pointless power up mechanic where you gain charges and then release them for a temporary boost. This would be fine if the weapons themselves were satisfying or had any oomph to them, but the animations themselves lack any weight and it feels like you're whacking monsters with wiffle bats. In the current build monsters also stand around for periods of time literally not doing anything while you beat them to death. It's unsatisfying to play on just about every front and I can't see future builds really turning this around, having seen what their philosophy on weapon design is. It's even more pointless now that we're only two months away from World.

I feel like most studios have problems with adding weight to combat animations like monster hunter does. As a heavy weapon lover, it is something that I always notice. Of all the hunting games, only maybe soul sacrifice and freedom wars got it right.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

This is the problem I have with every MH knockoff. Theres no weight behind it. The first World trailer with the greatsword golf swing just game me the tingles. Thats MH. I cant wait.

Another thing I noticed by playing other hunting games is that usually you can achieve a build that lets you be very sloppy without affecting your DPS too much, just going ham on the monster without any regard for dodging. Usually that's because either the damage you take is too low or the recovery time from being hit is too low and the healing is too fast. In MH sloppy playing severely affects your DPS, not to mention your chances of clearing a quest.

In Toukiden I had a lifesteal build that just let me use the dual knives spin attack forever while healing myself from almost dead to full HP in half a second or so, making get hit almost a nonissue. Soul sacrifice had the rock armor that let you simply shrug off damage and removed all stagger. Let's not even mention God Eater and all its stupid overpowered stuff. It usually makes every fight the same since you don't really have to learn patterns or strategies anymore. That's what kills the longevity of these games for me.

Is Dauntless like that?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

You're not wrong about gamers, but it was also definitely the case that a handful of weapon/style combinations were basically a downgrade in every way.

Not to mention some weapons got absolute trash hunting arts while others like sword and shield got the top 3 arts in the game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

glavenus sucks put in raizex instead

Raizex is lucky gammoth exists because otherwise it would be the biggest chump in Generations.

Glavenus, Valfalk and Atlal are among the strongest designs they ever made though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Astalos rules :colbert:

I'll admit he and his equipment looks really good but why is he so weak? He's basically a downgraded zinogre fight. Gammoth is even more mind-blowing as he can't do poo poo to you if you're not directly in front of him.

Even his deviant is weaker than the rest.

• Locked thread