Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The OP says that capturing "will usually result in even more parts obtained", but isn't that actually not the case? Carving gives (usually) 3 parts, and capturing gives 2 parts, with a 69% chance to get 3 instead, but from a different pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mortimer posted:

capturing usually gives higher chance at rare drops

Well sure, depending on the loot pool thats often the case, but I think the OP should be a bit more clear about that, mentioning rarer parts, rather than more parts.

Also, speaking of kill vs capture and rare drops and all that, I am an ignoramus when it comes to probability, when going for a rare item, is it better to decide on quest and on kill vs. capture based on expected value, or on probability of least one?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rascyc posted:

Anyone who cares about that sort of thing is probably already using the loot tables and is way beyond who the OP serves probably

I'm pointing it out because about a year ago when 4U came out, i was the sort of person who cared about that sort of thing, coming off of more casual 3U play, and saw the Kiranico loot tables, but didn't yet know enough to be sure how to interpret them (or where to find info on how capturing works) and myself incorrectly believed for quite a while that capturing led to more parts obtained. I think information in the OP doesn't have to be specific but it shouldn't be false.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

That 69% chance to get a third item continues rolling multiple times until you "fail" the roll, it generally averages out to more parts in general over time.

I've read otherwise, that capture expert/master/god (at least in 4u) changed the amount of rolls but otherwise it wasn't a cascading roll. Are you sure they roll over several times? I'm not asking just to be contrarian or anything, I really would like more knowledge on this and am now unsure myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/cpdge7s Here is where I've seen contradicting info.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

It definitely used to, this may have changed for 4th gen specifically so I'll edit the OP a bit for it.

Cool, a shift in the formula would definitely explain why there's so many different accounts of the drop system. I still intend to go back to MHFU sometime (and check out frontier as well) so the fact that it's different in the older games is useful news to me, thanks!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Actually, I'm now looking into capturing vs killing. So you get three guaranteed carves from killing. Versus two guaranteed rewards from capturing and a chance for a third (22/32 chance).

So, let's say you have a 2% chance of a item from carving but 3% from capturing. Your odds of getting at least one in both cases is:

Carving: 1 - .98^3 = 5.88%
Capping: 1 - .97^2.6875 = 7.86%

So if there's a 1% better chance of a rare item then it's better to cap. Of course, some monsters get four carve chances but I think it's still better to cap even in that case. Then there's things like armor skills to consider, that affect the number of drops you get from carves and captures.

Also, this is the math to get at least one. You can of course get more than one plate per hunt. That's where the math gets more complicated.

Someone feel free to correct me on this.

I find this stuff super interesting and am glad you are posting it, and that math looks accurate as far as I can tell. It's a bit of a simplification, but would it be correct to say that, at low percentage levels (say, sub 5%) whichever has a higher percent on its loot table even by one is the correct option, with a tie going to carve, assuming no armor skills? And also holy poo poo, thank you for simplifying down the capture odds to 1-x^2.6875, I feel stupid for not thinking about that (but am awful at statistics.)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Far as I can tell, the odds are near identical when it's 9% for carving compared to 10% for capping. 10% and above carving wins out. But by then the item isn't really considered "rare" anymore.

Oh and Emalde, when you're referring to the game rolling numerous times for a chance at another item, I think you are referring to the reward rows, not the capture rewards, which are listed in the box underneath. Way it works in 4U is you in the very top row you always get four items. Then you have a 60% chance to get a fifth item. The game will keep rolling that 60% chance until either you miss or all the spots in the row are filled. The second row (row B) works the same way except you're only guaranteed two items before the game starts rolling. Row A is usually parts from the monster you were hunting, so that's where things like gems will show up. While row B is usually mostly garbage stuff like bones, but can also have useful stuff like charms. Plus, I think in multi monster quests it might have monster parts as well? If you load up a quest in Kiranico, you can see the probabilities of what items show up in columns A or B.

The Fate skills increase your odds for getting another item in these reward screens. +10 in the skill gives you Good Luck, which increases the chances of rolling another item to 70% from 60%. +15 is Great Luck which makes it 80%.

https://m.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/

I figured out the math for carving (copied someone else's math) by reading the above Reddit thread. Though the guys initial math was wrong about probabilities, the comments following it clear things up. Sorry for the long winded post btw haha.

This is a good and useful post.

Mortimer posted:

http://gatheringhallstudios.com/2016/07/mhgen-database-v1-0-for-android-is-now-released/

MHGen Database is out for android, it's a handy app you can look at when you're at work tomorrow hoping your amazon package gets delivered

So is this one, I am hype.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

#TeamPoogie

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

I'll pass that along, thanks. Maybe it'll make him give the weapon a second chance - The increased hunt time probably comes from this being his first HBG rodeo and the Aerial one likely makes monsters significantly easier if you don't know the fights/weapon.

I'm a first time gunner going aerial as well, and I'm using a LBG rather than an HBG, but in my LR experience it is just that while using aerial, you have a lot of leeway when it comes to dodging and reloading and all sorts of things that do indeed make the monsters easier even if you can't get as great a read on them. If you're low on ammo or if you're caught to close to the monster, or both, you can vault off and away from it, and you have until midair to decide if you want to shoot, smack and reload, or just continue to run away. One big example is if a monster is doing a bunch of tailswipes, vaulting over them let's you avoid the tailswipes while ALSO damaging them while ALSO staying mobile so that you're not stuck in recoil at a bad time. A player more intimate with the monster's moveset might just be able to use a charged greatsword or hammer to stronger effect there, but it feels like a very "safe" option. It's certainly fun, though.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how the new canteen/bistro system works? In 3 and 4u, it was based off your combination of food types, ie Meat+Meat or Fish+Bread, but here it feels more arbitrary what with a given dish having multiple sauces, but some of the sauces have the same name but different effects, and with you picking out dishes made from ingredient combinations rather than mixes of ingredients themselves. There are plenty of guides on how to obtain the ingredients, but not on what the ingredients actually do.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of Dualblades, I ask this every game and keep forgetting. What are the mechanical functions of demon and arch-demon mode? Are they just moveset changes, or do they give damage buffs as well? Does Demon "stack" with Archdemon? Is Demon mode with a flashing meter any different than demon mode without a flashing meter?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rascyc posted:

Demon mode gives you a 15% raw damage boost, changes your move set to the Demon moveset (faster moves, usually more combos, demons dash, etc) and drains stamina. Beating things up in demon charges the arch demon gauge.

Arch Demon mode does not have the damage boost but you get to keep most of the demon moveset. Notably you lose the idle demon's dance. Instead it'll be the spinning attack, which is also very good and people joke that you can just spin to win most fights with that move alone.

Activating demon mode during arch demon is just like going back to pure demon mode. You want to do this to recharge your meter or to do more damage. Since you need to use the animations to swap into devil's dance, people will usually reserve this for openings. There are some tricks you can do to deactivate demon's mode in the middle of animations, but you can't really avoid the entering demon mode animation as far as I know.

Thanks, I suspected it worked this way, but I wasn't entirely sure. It's funny that ARCHdemon mode isn't as powerful as demon mode, but so it goes.

That said, assuming you have a mega dash juice or whatever, is there any reason at all to leave demon mode for archdemon mode?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

Can anyone here hit me up with a Good Boomerang Prowler? I've had some dreadful luck trying to get a god cat and at this point I just want to play the drat thing instead of rolling the dice.

I have a bunch, hit me up on Steam some time.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

(if anybody wants to check out regular frontier, hit me up in the discord, it comes with a free trial)

I'll hit you up in like a week if the offer's still valid :shobon:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

^ A quick correction since he's asking about 4U, in 4U you obtain scraps by playing a minigame called Meownster Hunters. It'll unlock as part of the main story, I think at late 4-stars?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Are all the items in frontier Katakana?

gigawhite posted:

Anyone going to the Capcom MH event in Chicago on Sunday? 400 people have RSVP''d for a bar that has like max capacity of 100.

I'm going to go, but I dunno what to expect.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 10, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Generations wasn't even announced until after MHX came out, right? So the lack of any sort of Generations X announcement shouldn't be too worrying, right?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

MohShuvuu posted:

converted my G save to X and imported it just fine to XX. Glamour doesn't get unlocked until G rank apparently.

Do all the DLC items transfer over?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

its april 1st in japan

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ha ha you all got got! :v:

I may or may not have invoked april fools early as part of the Denial stage of grief

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'd say charge blade is better in 4U than in generations, so just main charge blade and problem solved :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You'll also get way less mounts in Generations unless you go aerial style, so that's something else to consider. 4U is way more generous with them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Get rid of los, leave in Rathian.

And Pink Rathian.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

https://twitter.com/dubindoh/status/874760625674567680

dammit

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

heres how to attract western players: stop using PS2 models, release XX for PC.

Just release XX, that's all I ask.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I can't sleep because I am too stressed thinking about MHXX

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/874884547623759872

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I really love the gameplay of stop-to-use items, and am in fact losing sleep over this. Not that I'm arguing that it's reasonable.

Edit: This is by the team that made the best games in the series, so in all honesty, I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm just rattled over MHXX is all.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 14, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Stink Terios posted:

Late, but:

https://3ds.guide/
SA Nintendo Homebrew Thread

It will easily transfer your save. At most you will have to delete/sell some gear to avoid crashing, but that's it.

Also, the 3DS is broken forever. Even if you're fully updated, there's a trick involving DS flash carts and magnets that'll help grant you CFW.

I read there's a limit on how much you can transfer back and forth between Switch and 3DS. Does this limit ever go away?

Edit: Also, if I use homebrew to my MHGen save to a MHX save, and then to a MHXX save, is there anything I should be aware of that could cause me to get in trouble? I seem to still have DLC palicos named Nyanbo and Zelda, for example.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 7, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rerolling for a cat that can have all the skills you want in XX is pretty easy, though.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of soloing, at what point should I attempt to solo deviants, starting with Redhelm Arzuros 1?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Marogareh posted:

Once you get good high rank gear because they will destroy you with anything less. Green sharpness will be useless unless you have mind's eye or spam aerial.

Thanks. So, high rank armor and blue sharpness, then?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I've been playing through XX, restarted from the beginning to give myself time to acclimate to playing in japanese, and I totally forgot about Trunkspine hell.

gently caress you gammoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

4U if you want a cohesive solid experience,

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

mhxx with a translation patch

if you want Too Much Stuff (not in a bad way)

I feel like both can complement world since world has so many changes.

Zore posted:

Play Insect Glaive in 4U, problem solved

Aerial insect glaive rules, though

That said I'd recommend 4U if you had to pick just one

• Locked thread