Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can't wait to try aerial gunlance~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around. 4U I did Charge Blade which was really fun and honestly I wouldn't mind doing, and I'm also considering Bows or the Switch Axe.

Where did you hear that about GL?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm kind of wondering now what aerial lance looks like, too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I found weapons with too much upkeep in 4U (IG, LS, DS) were among my least favorite, so that's too bad about how GL's changes made it more like upkeep. I'll still give it a try of course!

... now I'm wondering what aerial GS is like. Oh god I'm getting decision paralysis two days before the game is even out :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:stare:

uh ok wow guess I'm playing SnS instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Incidentally I still wish capture hardware or some other form of screen mirroring for the 3DS weren't so goddamned expensive at $200+, I want this on a bigger screen for my eyes, resolution be damned :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do styles require unlocking or leveling or certain types of weapons or any nonsense like that, or can I freely switch between them at any time?

I dunno how I feel about Striker and Adept in general, and I already did Guild in MH4U (:v:) but Aerial looks 100% my jam overall

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god you can charge aerial hammer midair???? Are you serious with me that's amazing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yes but if you press A in midair you'll hit the monster so hard you bounce off and can hit them AGAIN.

Ok yeah think I'm just gonna have to sit down for several hours this weekend with popcorn and the gaijinhunter videos

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

After loving around in the demo my favorites by a long way are aerial swaxe, aerial sns, and bushido hammer.

Now I just need to decide which to use first :arghfist::unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yay, my 3ds grips are waiting in a locker for me to pick up. Just in time to marathon like crazy this weekend!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Tell me how these are once you give them a whirl, I still haven't decided which grips I want.

Sure, it won't be until late tonight though, probably like seven or eight hours from now.

What do people think of the change to Lance outside of Striker style, with the third poke? I didn't get a chance to try it last night at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All those lizards and their god damned insane hitbox hipchecks can get hosed anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Us americans can't get in on that, right? I have no idea how online Nintendo stuff works anymore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Tell me how these are once you give them a whirl, I still haven't decided which grips I want.

Finally got home and gave these a whirl. Feels great on my hands after an hour, still. Definitely not sliding this thing into your pocket anymore, but I kinda knew that I suppose.

(edit) Only problem is a slight mushiness in hitting the shoulder buttons, but you kind of expect that with what is essentially a cell phone case, so I'll get over it :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 15, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god they brought back Neko (Means "Cat"), goty 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's downloading and I'm off to work. I've got six hours to decide what style and type of weapon to use first.

I'm hopeless :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Some random observations from the demo because I'm bored-

Aerial Charge Blade seems kind of iffy. Your aerial discharges an ultra blast whether you want to or not, so it's better to not charge your shield at all for improved attack in axe mode? :crossedarms:

I'm not sure how I feel about most of the Adept weapons. Seems like most of the time I prefer being out of the way in the first place, rather than dodging through attacks, at least if my time with the demo and seeing how many adept evades I got is any indication. Didn't try Lance and it's adept guard, though, that might just be my kettle of fish.

Aerial in general leaves me undecided on when I should be hopping into a monster and when I should just be comboing. Obviously this varies by weapon, but hm.

Gunlance is just too much of a finicky bastard for me to use now. Rip explosive climax :(

I wonder if SnS where you don't pay attention to element or items is still good, with the oils and really good seeming arts. Don't know which style I'd use with it though.

Adept GS seems like it could own with practice but man Aerial GS is balls

Not sure how I feel about swaxe in general this go around, let alone its various styles

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't think I tried Striker style for any weapons in the demo because it sounded like all the weapons just got simplified in trade for the extra hunter art

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I should at least try SnS Striker then because I wasn't all that impressed with Aerial or Adept on it, really

I want to at least try Adept Lance before I pooh pooh the new third hit, perfect parrying sounds totally like my jam from all the DMC-like games I've played

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My god my skills have badly regressed, Gendrome is loving chumping me

Doesn't help that the sharpness on these initial weapons is complete rear end, but still

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

enojy posted:

Perfect time to pick up a new weapon you've never (or seldom) tried before!

I'm thinking I might actually give Long Sword a try, I kind of left that one alone in all of 4U and 3U for that matter, and didn't try it in the demo

Not sure what style to go for though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man adept Long Sword just loving poo poo all over Gendrome from a great height after trying again. Me likey how this weapon feels, though I'm not really sure when I should be using fade slashes, since I should be facing down attacks and perfect evading instead, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder what the best weapon for causing Exhaust is, now. SnS with the oil, HH, or hammer? Or something else?

That's always been really satisfying, turning monsters into sad drooling messes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's the moneymaker thing to sell from trading?

What style do you all prefer for CB?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Turns out my favorite weapon right now is Bow, of all things. Go figure.

What's a good starter set of armor for Bow to go for? (Or a good bow for that matter)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

do bows still do ok damage if i run out of coating or am i just hosed in that case?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I forgot the zl buttons even existed... I'm an idiot, but glad I asked!

I'm finding I can't reliably reach the z shoulder buttons with the grips I have. Darn :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just realized that exhaust oil'd SnS not only does exhaust damage, it does KO damage with head impacts like a hammer

Jesus christ this weapon is godmode

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone have any Weird Old Tricks for doing adept guards with CB? I find the delay after attacking or doing much of anything except sitting there waiting for the cue so you can guard on time to be too onerous to get any use out of it.

Evade in axe is nice, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khaal posted:

Add striker lance to that list, dang this thing is insane. The charge finisher damage is crazy and the arts are all really good. I just shredded the rank 1 urgent Maccao in about 2 minutes with equivalent gear :stare:

I have not tried Lance at all in MHGen, except for a brief foray into the Arena with Adept and I didn't like it at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khaal posted:

Striker lance is a completely different playstyle. Basically, you charge whenever you can (sometimes even at point blank range) and go crazy with your hunter arts. You can also do the poke poke poke step combo when the situation calls for it, but really, Always Be Charging.

I tried out adept lance in the demo quite a few times, hoping to click with it but it never happened - same with adept gunlance. Maybe it needs more practice but yeah it just doesn't feel fun like many of the other styles.

wait is striker mode Lance seriously Don Quixote The Video Game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do you all prefer for hammer time, aerial or adept?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Honestly I would probably go for Adept hammer right away if it werent for the fact that it's missing the L2 charge uppercut approach, that move is baller as heck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aerial DB is a flying laser-guided buzzsaw and is therefore superior

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only problem with HBG and Bow is the insane upkeep in coatings and shots

I imagine at endgame zenny and points aren't a problem but right now 1000z+ outlay on power coatings per hunt (and that's not even enough coatings to get through the hunt) is a bit of an ask

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Adept seems to be the Gajin rage but every time I do aerial I come out better. The double pound is just loving nuts and the extra mounts is just more hits to the dome. Not having to deal with that lovely spinning strike on the charge is also lovely but you do lose the mega pound rip

Honestly I used the mega pound very little in MH4U, the L2 charge in uppercut is a great move and using it means I don't have to change my fighting style between solo and multiplayer (where the mega pound is verboten in cramped quarters)

I think I'll try aerial first when I get a break from work, see how I like it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NT Plus posted:

What the balls is even a 'super' or an 'ultra' in a game where no weapons adhere to such a concept?

I think the names are all coming from translations of JP guidebooks. The super is the third A in CB axe mode when you have phials but no shield (or have shield but hit back+X to cancel the ultra); uses one phial. The ultra is the same attack when you have a charged shield and phials; literally everything gets expended on this one, and (in this game) that isn't great value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Who the hell is Dario, anyway?

• Locked thread