Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm over on hours for this pay period so I get to take a half day on Friday. With any luck my copy of the game will show up early in the day. Hail Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

gently caress is everything ever awesome. I've been using aerial switch axe, but I wanted from the beginning to branch out into a new weapon. I'm seriously tempted to start some adept bowing since it feels so, so good. Plus I haven't made a single armor piece because the starter set looks rad and nothing touches me, so my switch axe investment is minor.

I know sweet gently caress all about bows though. I'll go watch/read tutorials, but can someone give me a quick pick for a good low rank bow?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

If it's as bullshit as it looks I guess I'd still keep a kit for it so I could abuse it on poo poo I don't want to hunt. I sure would've hosed up some G-rank Furious Rajang in 4U as cheaply as opportunity afforded me.

I'm starting to feel the hammer itch again. What's best for it? Aerial or adept I guess?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hell, and he's already got and looking to distribute one. Guess I'll get in on that. Am I able to rename these things?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Frank Eufemia posted:

Jesus christ how the gently caress would I figure that out naturally

When you first come across them I'm pretty sure one of them is already at the mushrooms with a swollen rear end. It's kinda subtle, but a lot of stuff in MonHun comes down to observation.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Man, I really don't want to waste time palico cycling, but I don't want to run around with the lovely names some of the good ones that get passed around have. Is there any way at all to get these things renamed?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I've always heard that the flagship monster for the first Monster Hunter game you play will always be special to you... but man, Gammoth and Mizutsune are by far the coolest monsters I've met so far in the game :colbert:

I had to look up MH3U to see what it was, because I thought it was Ceadeus, who's a real piece of poo poo. Brachydios didn't feel as hyped up, but I guess he's pretty cool.

Seregios will always be my favorite, though. I heart pinecone dragon. :3:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Worst monster in the game to fight, not on difficulty but on :ughh: factor, go

Voting Nibelsnarf

If we aren't counting underwater, I think Cephadrome. He isn't that bad, but he's a joyless slog of a fight. I guess I'm also not a big fan of Rajang and Blagonga either.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Let's say I wanna try getting pokey or blasty. Assuming lances/gunlances are in good shape in Gen, can someone give me a quick and dirty basic "make this, take this style and art(s), kill this and see how you like it"?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Thank you! I'm going to try this out right now.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hoo boy, last time I fought Plesioth was MH3U, and I cheesed it with an overpowered lance. This jerk for my HR5 urgent is a real butt. I thought hip check jokes were funny, but then it happened to me.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Nakarkos is neat as gently caress. I need to get back in there and get a closer look at him.

Plus as someone who has a boner for the tiny glimpses of MonHun lore you get in the games, I'd love to know more about Wyvern's End, what with it being supposedly forbidden and everything.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I would be 100% behind a huge dry lore encyclopedia. I don't want a lovely novelization, I want a textbook.

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I'm lost. How do I advance the village quests? I've gotten the grand majority of the level 3 quests done and still nothing. Is there something specific I have to do?
What I did was run through every village-specific quest and any Wycademy quest that introduced a new monster. I probably did a few more than I needed, but it kept things moving pretty smoothly.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Is it ever touched on whether there are places that aren't in constant danger of being overrun? People all seem pretty comfortable with the idea of having a respected and freely housed village hunter, and I guess with the exception of Port Tanzia I've always gotten the impression that these places are all on one frontier or another. I can't help but wonder what the main population centers, or the seat of contemporary Monster Hunter civilization, could possibly look like.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

scaterry posted:

What I would give for a new skill on HH that reduces song playing time.

Speedmetal Qurupeco

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah, no kidding. This is the only grindy game I play for the grind itself.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Snak posted:

I saw that there's a gun that looks like a sniper rifle. Are there any guns that look like elephant guns or fowling pieces?

I don't have it in front of me to check, but they missed a great comedic opportunity if the Gammoth gun doesn't look like an elephant gun.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I had to be on a plane today and spent some time learning gunlance. It's some fun stuff but I think I'm either missing something or it's inherently slower to the kill than swaxe. I might just need more practice with it though. What a cool weapon when it works though, oh man.

I haven't played MHGen in a long while, but it looks like I cleared most of the gathering hall content using my lovely rarity 1 bullfango kit and a Seregios axe. Was there a common intermediate armor or were folks just going from newbie kits to deviants?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

You need a stronger weapon, all the Felyne weapons kinda....suck. Also you want to always be hitting stuff. Dual Blades are about being a frothing berzerker, even moreso than usual. Adept has its counter hits baked into the dodge, so if you dodge into attacks you become this swirling airborne hellblender.

I've never been that interested in dual blades, but that sure makes it sound fun. Now I'm tempted to give them a try.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I hope MHXX brings back Jaggi's extended family.

Same. I think as raptor clones go the -aggis are better designed and way more fun to fight than the -dromes. I don't know what the appeal is for Velocidrome over Great Jaggi at all unless folks get some kind of nostalgia out of it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Let's start pointlessly speculating on the monster lineup for MH5.

Calling it right now, half the roster is variants of Cephadrome.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Aww, I like axe mode. That unlimited chop thing is so satisfying on a stunned monster, and maybe once its long reach broke a tail off ​something tall.

Still though, yeah, otherwise it's pretty much all sword.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I totally get both sides of portable vs console/PC thing. I sure preferred portable entertainment too when I was a walk or train ride from everything and had that time to entertain myself. Now that I live someplace where my nearest friend is a full half hour goddamn drive from my house and public transportation is virtually nonexistent I pretty much only bother with stuff I can do online or alone. I still get some mileage out of my 3DS, but even then it's mostly at home.

The one exception to this is my office, where a bunch of people are MonHun fans. When 4U and Gen were in full swing it wasn't too difficult to get a group going, which was pretty cool. The game definitely feels best in local co-op, but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to drive across town just to sit down and play it.

I'm really hoping the Switch gets a MonHun title and I don't think it's too farfetched to say it may. If nothing else, there are a lot of people at my work who never had (or at least bothered to bring) 3DSes who got Switches and bring them in nearly every day, so maybe the Switch is what we needed to bridge that preference gap.

vvvvv: We.. may? get an expanded version of Generations in the next however long, but it hasn't been announced and you'll probably be able to transfer your poo poo if we do, so go hog wild.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I picked up 4U for the first time since Gen yesterday. On one hand, apparently I've forgotten how to play well, but on the other I was in a G-rank kit and beating on a low rank Gore Magala so I didn't take any damage anyway.

I'm debating whether MHXX is worth importing if we aren't getting it. I know at least one other nerd who'll probably get it regardless. I wonder when we'd hear about it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Trying real hard not to panic, but it's hard keeping it down. It was easy to be optimistic about MHW when I thought XX was on its way, but then why would there be no release announcement by Nintendo? Maybe because Capcom didn't want to take away from the MHW announcement?

I really, really hope Capcom didn't just say gently caress it to bringing over XX because MHW would drop very soon after. I want as much MH in my life as possible, and despite my optimism about MHW, I do admit Capcom doesn't have the greatest track record when dealing with drastic changes to beloved franchises.
I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I don't think 4U and Gen were announced at E3 either.

Either way, I'll be pretty irked if they're only bringing out one and not the other, especially if they only bring out what may be a weird experimental one. I don't have very high hopes for anything that changes the formula too much since MonHun is a franchise I inexplicably like despite being a perfect storm of features I loving hate in other games. I can see them tampering with the formula enough to end up with something I can't stand. XX was a day one purchase and probably a guaranteed couple hundred hours of playtime, but I'll wait for reviews and the PC release of World.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Well, if a source as reliable as NeoGAF forums poster MatrixMan.EXE says it I guess it's a done deal.

(that said I wouldn't be surprised, oh Capcom)

vvv: The tweet said a Capcom insider, but who knows what that really means.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Zelder posted:

The only reason I'm worried about the new monster Hunter is because marvel vs capcom infinite has no dragon punch motions. I know they're different teams, but capcom can and has made some truly baffling decisions in pursuit of wider audiences

As much as I cringed at the lame story they were showing off in MvC I was happy to see what appeared to be a Dah'ren Mohran surfacing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Good thing that poo poo isn't region-locked. I wouldn't buy Japanese hardware to import XX, but I'd set up a Japanese eShop account to get XX for the Switch and let that tide me over for however long.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Also I know it's the same footage as we saw earlier but I still think it looks generic and bland as heck.

Your Computer posted:

I can't wait for Generic Action Adventure Hunter for the PS4, Xbonx and Microsoft Windows PC
When I was first watching the trailer I thought it was someone trying to rip off Monster Hunter and Horizon and doing a forgettable job of each. Then the dude's run looked familiar, then the Rathalos showed up and I thought they had some weird crossover going on somehow. It doesn't really look very Monster Huntery.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Inflammatory posted:

i still believe in switch xx getting localised. it's not even out in japan, of course they wouldn't be announcing it for the west yet.
That's a fair point, sure. If nothing else I have more faith in them bringing that out here eventually than World being good, considering:

Your Computer posted:

"for western audiences" is like codeword for "gently caress this poo poo up"

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like the very next tweet from Capcom.

"Yeah, but XX, come on Capcom."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Someone at Capcom has got to be having a really rough week.

• Locked thread