Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Good news for anyone who thought Chapo has been dipping in quality lately. That's gonna be a goldmine of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What a ghoul.

https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/1280891679717961741?s=20

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

tucker carlson just "went on a planned vacation" after it came out his writer has been doing lots of racisms online and got fired... hmm...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Thompsons posted:

This is a dumb thing for me to correct anyone on but people are misremembering, that scene's at the beginning and I feel like it is mostly just played as a joke. Later on they actually do get reinforcements who look like they're maybe 16 years old and the characters are like "whoa what the gently caress"

Oh, yeah, I haven't seen this thing in loving years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prefect posted:

But I am 100% sure she will be making much more money than she was at the Times. There's always money for horrible people. :sigh:
I actually don't think so. I think we're watching the slow death of the idea that news networks can and should play the role of a neutral, objective referee. There isn't going to be any need for a Megan McArdle to argue that the death squads are actually a public health benefit, with or without citing statistics.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Virgil basically disappeared from this episode after like 20 minutes, very sad

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

HannibalBarca posted:

He has a very specific time table for his catgirl injections and if he misses even a single one he has to start over so cut him some slack here

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hooplah posted:

tucker carlson just "went on a planned vacation" after it came out his writer has been doing lots of racisms online and got fired... hmm...

it would own if the network that trump clearly wanted to do when he lost in 2016 has started coming together but then he wins again and has to push it back again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah I’m not sure what that was about

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Don't they each record their end and send it to Chris? Maybe his recording hosed up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I dunno. I've noticed that Virgil hasn't actually said any new words since he rejoined the cast and I'm wondering if "Virgil" is actually just Chris cutting up old audio and what we are getting is actually just synthesized audio, like way back when that goon made a bizarre creation mythology just by splicing Obama's audiobook.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

uber_stoat posted:

my dumb rear end pug dog would look at what I pointed at.

crepeface posted:

maybe your dog is stupid unlike my dog, who's smart and also a good boy

Omnicarus posted:

:wrong: you got a lowkey defective dog they get pointing and my dog is also a very good boy who doesn't really get object permanence but def. gets pointing

Look at these idiots, I guess it's only something you'd know if you interact with more than one dog ever, lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

papa horny michael posted:

it's been a half hour of dated jokes about the orange man is bad so far. hope this gets better!

The Trump food stuff was excellent.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

There is basically no textual evidence in Starship Troopers suggesting that humanity is losing its war with the bugs. The citizen/subject distinction (lack of compulsory service) confirms this beyond a doubt.

:goonsay:

E:
And they downplay some of the weirdness surrounding Wayfare

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 15, 2020

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

I dunno. I've noticed that Virgil hasn't actually said any new words since he rejoined the cast and I'm wondering if "Virgil" is actually just Chris cutting up old audio and what we are getting is actually just synthesized audio, like way back when that goon made a bizarre creation mythology just by splicing Obama's audiobook.

I haven't thought of that fake Obama audiobook in years. A simpler time when you could splice together nonsense without worrying about Q weirdos taking it seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Any38uNUelM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

There is basically no textual evidence in Starship Troopers suggesting that humanity is losing its war with the bugs. The citizen/subject distinction (lack of compulsory service) confirms this beyond a doubt.

:goonsay:

The reinforcements at the end are teenagers.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

It's somewhat difficult to reconcile the idea that Starship Troopers is the sort of movie that its society would make with the idea that humanity is losing the war with the bugs. That theory seems a bit half-baked. Then there's the sequels...

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I'd never bothered to think about whether humanity was winning at the end of the movie but all signs kinda point to "no," which, lol nice

and yeah it's never explicitly stated (because if it the movie is meant to be in the style of an in-universe propaganda film, they would never) but hard to ignore child soldiers and, it's been a while but I remember humans getting solidly owned in every bug encounter, outside the brain bug.

lol at the idea that the psychic stuff is all bullshit though, I want to rewatch the movie and see if that fits.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 15, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Kingfish posted:

And they downplay some of the weirdness surrounding Wayfare

There's no "weirdness", it's basic standard fare for extremely dumb 4chan conspiracy garbage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's been awhile since I've watched the movie, but isn't there some implication that the meteor that wipes out Buenos Aires was random and not an actual attack as well?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's been awhile since I've watched the movie, but isn't there some implication that the meteor that wipes out Buenos Aires was random and not an actual attack as well?

Yeah there's really no way for the bugs to have a meteor hit a city directly like that and it flies by the planetary defense grid.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Did no one read the actual book? Jesus Chroist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Omnicarus posted:

Every couple months I dig up the old “Obama made the Muslims disappear” post.

It’s still really good.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Lambert posted:

Do what the what now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lambert posted:

They bought the rights for the book after the script was written after someone pointed out the similarities. Verhoeven couldn't even finish the book.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

They bought the rights for the book after the script was written after someone pointed out the similarities. Verhoeven couldn't even finish the book.

Is this actually true? Lines and characters from the book show up verbatim in the movie. Seems dubious.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

It's somewhat difficult to reconcile the idea that Starship Troopers is the sort of movie that its society would make with the idea that humanity is losing the war with the bugs. That theory seems a bit half-baked. Then there's the sequels...

The scene with the kid at the beginning is a bog standard recruitment advertisement that would play before any movie in such a society, its only after Rico and his friends enter the picture that the fiction within a fiction 'movie' starts. Its subtle but its definitely a valid reading of the film.

also I refuse to acknowledge that Starship Troopers ever got a sequel

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

its only after Rico and his friends enter the picture that the fiction within a fiction 'movie' starts. Its subtle but its definitely a valid reading of the film.

yeah but they're talking above about the scene towards the end of the film where the teenage replacements arrive and Rico says something to Jake Busey like "we're the old men now, Ace"

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

HannibalBarca posted:

yeah but they're talking above about the scene towards the end of the film where the teenage replacements arrive and Rico says something to Jake Busey like "we're the old men now, Ace"

Not to say that they aren't recruiting teenagers, but could that just be what Rico sees when he sees 18-year-old recruits now that he's slightly older? Like to him they look like kids and the only way to make that come across visually is by casting teenagers?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Lambert posted:

they made a novelization of starship troopers???

The North Tower posted:

Not to say that they aren't recruiting teenagers, but could that just be what Rico sees when he sees 18-year-old recruits now that he's slightly older? Like to him they look like kids and the only way to make that come across visually is by casting teenagers?

seems like a bigger reach than "humanity is pretending everything is fine despite being on course for annihilation due to their own hubris." "We're losing, actually" also fits the movie better thematically imo but I'm not very good at media interpretation or criticism so I may just be parroting funny podcast man

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 15, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"We're losing, actually" doesn't fit the theme of the movie at all. Trying to make it into some kind of weird Iraq analogy is misguided.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I always got the sense that the purpose of the war in the movie wasn’t to win or lose in any meaningful sense, but just to keep going.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The North Tower posted:

this was my initial reading on it as well but as I get older and on subsequent watches I'm liking the other interpretation more and more. it is true that they suck poo poo at fighting the bugs and Doogie Howser's psychic powers when demonstrated, are parlour tricks at best

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Juul-Whip posted:

this was my initial reading on it as well but as I get older and on subsequent watches I'm liking the other interpretation more and more. it is true that they suck poo poo at fighting the bugs and Doogie Howser's psychic powers when demonstrated, are parlour tricks at best

Yeah, I think I'm getting converted to yours/slicing up eyeballs' almost-child soldier take that they're hosed (but everything's GREAT!). Now that I think about it, the Nazi imagery makes me think this is more likely, as they're starting to dig up the Volkssturm.

\/ exactly what I'm thinking now: Soviets at the gates of Berlin

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 15, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Lambert posted:

"We're losing, actually" doesn't fit the theme of the movie at all. Trying to make it into some kind of weird Iraq analogy is misguided.

trying to make it into an Iraq analogy fits pretty well, but it's also not easily compatible with a "soviets at the gates of berlin" sort of thing

turns out you can get a lot from starship troopers without forcing it to fit 1:1 with discrete historical events!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

I'm sure it seems that way because your brain is the exact surface and consistency of a bowling ball

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

like wow, he taught his ferret a voice command, very spooky psychic powers there. He could easily be lying/embellishing to impress his friend like every "lying guy" friend you ever head, they openly treat each other like poo poo all the time anyways

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This creature we subdued and wounded and captured? Guess what it’s afraid. Only I could know this due to my magic powers

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, they are applecheeked goobers fresh out of the academy. They are in the same position as Johnny and the gang were before deployment. This is said explicitly and is framed thematically by Rico giving the new kids the same speech he got from Rasczak.

It also makes no sense for children to be conscripted without compulsory service for adults. Basically the only thing we know about earth’s society is that it has a volunteer military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rico joins right out of high school he and his friends were supposed to be teenagers. The people replacing them look like actual teenagers. They haven't been in the war all that long before the new recruits come in.

Lambert posted:

Is this actually true? Lines and characters from the book show up verbatim in the movie. Seems dubious.

Yes the original script was called "Bug Hunt". Obviously a script goes through revisions.