Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm pretty sure the American army was still a joke using outdated tactics compared to European armies at the time of the civil war. They were still trying to use Napoleonic block firing and light cavalry when the war started and just absolutely mauled each other because those didn't work anymore with more modern guns, while the European armies had already switched to loose skirmish lines and entrenchments.

Only because the Europeans had the crimean war ten years earlier where they had to learn the lesson the hard way just like the Americans did in the civil war. By the end of both wars more modern tactics had been adopted on both continents (though apparently not enough to stop the euros from trying to use some napoleonic formations in the opening battles of ww1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm REALLY enjoying Matt's civil war podcast! This is the absolute perfect vehicle for Matt, exactly focused enough that his rambling maintains coherence! I dunno why but I'm finding it very easy to follow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Matt has a civil war podcast?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Bore of Northern Aggression

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Where can I hear my beautiful buffoon talk about the civil war?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im assuming he means the episode, not that matt has a whole series of them

speaking of which, what are some other good history podcasts? i enjoyed the recommended inward empire series about diem and also probably all the guest appearances matt's made on other history podcasts. i've seen a lot of posts about age of napoleon, but having a giant list of episodes about a single topic is a bit daunting, do start with ep 1 or is there a good point to jump in?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Revolutions

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

crepeface posted:

speaking of which, what are some other good history podcasts? i enjoyed the recommended inward empire series about diem and also probably all the guest appearances matt's made on other history podcasts. i've seen a lot of posts about age of napoleon, but having a giant list of episodes about a single topic is a bit daunting, do start with ep 1 or is there a good point to jump in?

Fall of Civilizations is fantastic, just jump in at whichever one grabs your interest first since they are all stand alone. I think the Greenland Vikings and Bronze Age Collapse are the most compelling short episodes but all the episodes are incredible.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Revolutions

Yeah, if you want a history podcast then Revolutions is the choice. The guy that does it, Mike Duncan, also did The History of Rome which was perfect to listen to while working out. The audio quality isn't great, especially at first, but for a grad student in 2008 it's understandable.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Literature and History is so good it tricked me into rereading The Iliad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
John Dolan did a translation of the Iliad which is pretty good, if you're a deep level history nerd it might make you mad but at least it's fun to read.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Does anyone recall if there's a list of shows released for Time For My Stories? Wondering what shows are coming up next.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thanks guys.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Analytic Engine posted:

Felix's obsession of the week supports Chapo fans. It was by our side, all along

I get it.. (my guiding moonlight)

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Does anyone recall if there's a list of shows released for Time For My Stories? Wondering what shows are coming up next.

I think The OC and Mad Men have been mentioned. I assume they have to do Breaking Bad, no Twin Peaks but hoping for True Detective?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

crepeface posted:

radio war nerd is the best history podcast, worth donating to their patreon. they have an incredible backlog on so many topics

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I would like them to do mission impossible, love boat, and fantasy island.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They must be doing Dallas. I can't think of why it would be on their mind enough that it comes up every episode other than they're watching it.

OG Star Trek would be an interesting one.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's old hat but you can't go wrong with Hardcore History. The gold standard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NienNunb posted:

It's old hat but you can't go wrong with Hardcore History. The gold standard.

the gold standard of what

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

i say swears online posted:

Conversations with your uncle who owns all the history channel WWII In Color VHS box sets.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The gold standard of hardcore

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

i say swears online posted:

Weird stories about the Soviet Union making a bridge out of frozen living nazis they made lay down and then sprayed with water.

I realize he probably wanted me to think of this as an atrocity. I just want it to be an album cover.

I also want it to be true because it sounds like bullshit.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

THS posted:

radio war nerd is the best history podcast, worth donating to their patreon. they have an incredible backlog on so many topics

i already listen to war nerd of course

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Paffgen posted:

I think The OC and Mad Men have been mentioned. I assume they have to do Breaking Bad, no Twin Peaks but hoping for True Detective?

The OC and Breaking Bad are in the trailer, so those are givens.

Would love to see Mad Men appear, as it and Sopranos best explain our current condition imo. It's a shame if Twin Peaks doesn't make it though, because it sincerely is the most adventurous thing ever released to us TV.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lions Led By Donkeys has a lot of interesting topics but their approach is a little bit too The Dollop for me.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Twin peaks was kind of boring

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

inferis posted:

Twin peaks was kind of boring

It's my go to vibes show if I'm too high to play a video game or follow a narrative. I've watched like a season and a half and I literally couldn't name a single character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

a new study bible! posted:

it sincerely is the most adventurous thing ever released to us TV.

So you just haven't seen Fishing With John?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMRQb-RRt5g

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Death is Just Around the Corner has some lower points but also has some wonderful highs

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Death is Just Around the Corner has some lower points but also has some wonderful highs

I really want to know what he put in the JFK episode he ended up retracting

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

THS posted:

four-part series on yeltsin's coup, told by a guy who saw it in person? PUT IT IN MY VEINS

ok I just looked up how many subscribers they have and my image of poor old john just barely scraping by as he moves from hovel to hovel was very wrong

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if anyone deserves some respite from constant suffering, financial insecurity and woe, its john dolan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the dude was doing ESL teaching as recently as ~7-8 years ago, like yeah...

they're definitely not jet-setting or anything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

war nerd is for sure the most moral patreon money you can give

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
support and protect John Dolan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

They must be doing Dallas. I can't think of why it would be on their mind enough that it comes up every episode other than they're watching it.

OG Star Trek would be an interesting one.

Seems like the 10-15 year period surrounding the 60s where CBS had an very heavy focus on “rural”-themed programming (headlined by The Andy Griffith Show and The Beverly Hillbillies and their respective expanded universes) merits a look of some sort. You have these extremely popular shows essentially framing of white rural southerners as fundamentally good-hearted and reasonable and wise while, like, the 1960s were happening.

I’m not saying that was bad, per se, but it’s certainly something that could merit examination.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1381276717738815488?s=20

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

uber_stoat posted:

the civil war was one of the first wars with machine guns. the Euros sent observers but i guess they didn't get the message. :lmao:

the main lesson the euros took from the USCW was don't let someone like mclellan run your army, get generals who will attack attack attack. ah, well, oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

General Dog posted:

Seems like the 10-15 year period surrounding the 60s where CBS had an very heavy focus on “rural”-themed programming (headlined by The Andy Griffith Show and The Beverly Hillbillies and their respective expanded universes) merits a look of some sort. You have these extremely popular shows essentially framing of white rural southerners as fundamentally good-hearted and reasonable and wise while, like, the 1960s were happening.

I’m not saying that was bad, per se, but it’s certainly something that could merit examination.

CBS' entire programming lineup from the launch of the network to a few months ago has literally been the Sumner Redstone Dementia Extended Universe