Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

emdash posted:

Because the premium eps are set to private, I don't think they can be opened in the app (at least on iOS)

However, streaming in safari has always worked fine

They also stream directly out of the Patreon app for me on Android (have also have the soundcloud app installed, but I think it's running from an embedded player in the Patreon app).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Tim's relation of the Trump courtroom video where the man makes up excuses to avoid having to read aloud in public makes me really curious to know if there are any recorded examples of it happening at all. Is it possible that he's dyslexic?

Every speech he's ever given on prompter?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The Narrator posted:

Carl Diggler is real and my dad

and we almost lost him when he went to cover Syria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ns6whVpyJo

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

"iron dome" killed me.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

As a longtime follower of Giant Bomb, seeing Alex showing up in the Chapoverse has been fun. I would love to see a real crossover between the two, a Metal Gear deep dive or something similar could be good listening.

The idea of hearing Dan Ryckert in a conversation about politics and history with someone like Matt also has a certain twisted appeal to me. Dan has always come across to me as generally good person who is staggeringly ignorant about basically everything , who also loves brands. To give an example, this is what he's currently doing in his spare time: https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/837282074465865728

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

link the ep yo

He's not been on the show or anything, but he went as an audience member to the live show on election night and is in the Chapo adjacent twitter sphere.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The "History of Rome" and "Revolutions" podcasts by Mike Duncan are excellent historical podcasts, not too academic in tone but coming from that background. The podcast "Fall of Rome" is a good companion to Duncan's work, it's done by MMA writer and Roman history PhD Patrick Wyman and is much more academic in tone than Duncan, but Wyman focuses much more on context, using more evidence from archaeological finds compared to Duncan to try and build a comprehensive picture of the Roman empire and economy for the average people living in and near Rome. He also spends more time on the historiography, and the different academic schools of thought on the various aspects of Roman society.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

He's improving on the production quality, but he still isn't super polished.

I also made a thing:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The Dollop is great, and they spend a lot of time looking into the hosed up ways we've exploited people in this country throughout history. I'd say that pretty much every episode of the show's pretty good, but ones I've pointed people to when they're first starting listening are: "The Rube", "The Jackson Cheese", "Ten Cent Beer Night", "The Eggnog Riot", "The Shanghai Kelly's", "Fed Ex Fight 705", and "The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island".

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This was posted in the CSPAM Chapo thread, who the gently caress is leaking all the Grey Wolf secrets?
https://chapotraphousetruth.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/part-i-my-introduction-to-chapos-missionaries/

quote:

I was told that I did not have to give up reading Vox and the New York Times. All they asked was that I began reading Jacobin magazine and Carl Diggler as well. However, a high ranking Chapo Org official would later tell me that all those who did not fully denounce liberalism would die alongside the quants and wonks after the revolution. “Chapistic Thought, and Incrementalism don’t mix,” he said. “Anyone with liberal mores will eventually be a threat to us.”

“What about the columnists who retweet our jokes and sympathize with our movement?”

“These liberal chameleons are of great value at present, but once our goal is reached, they will either have to change their belief, or pay the price with their heads along with the rest,” he replied.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Well, I hadn't seen it before and it's solid work. Eugene V. Debs School of Online Harassment killed me.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Caleb is the most important for sure. The movie review episodes are also really fun, especially their review of "The Conqueror" with Derek Davison.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Remember that Harry Potter grew up to become a cop.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I like Swampside Chats as well, it's similar in structure to the Discourse Collective, but with better audio quality and less extremely online content.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I think my favorite PSA moment was right after the election when Mnuchin was nominated, and one of them said "maybe we should've prosecuted some of these guys so they wouldn't have cabinet appointments in the next admin." and the rest of the host kinda morosely say "yeah..." before moving on.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

My favorite version of "Surviving Edged Weapons" is the music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I really liked the Felix Derek duocast, the rest of the gang wouldn't have really fit into spending an hour on the topic.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I remember being surprised that they invited Felix of all Chapos on to Lovett or Leave it, and then being pretty incredulous that they cravenly cut most of his riffs from the recorded podcast version of the show - like 5 min of Felix talking in an hour long episode. Why even have him on? It's not like Felix was an unknown quantity or anything.

Is there even an unedited version of that show floating around somewhere?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

GANDHITRON posted:

I had to email them twice to get mine. Gonna send you a PM.

Wanna do me a solid too? I'm assuming Virgil was too busy vaping or something.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Will has been depicted as a Capybara in several fan drawings in the past.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

TARFU Report was a great podcast, RIP to a real one.

Everyone who hasn't heard it needs to check out the "Jewel or Mao" segment in this episode: https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/75211

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

No other show can say that they risked hypoxic brain damage to dunk on Thomas Freidman.

Taibbi has been showing up as a guest a fair bit on The Michael Brooks Show which is nice.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Antifada is good y'all.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Episode 12 is also worth checking out, it's Virgil's first appearance on the show and they go deep into the lore of the Carl Diggler character and their love of Ron Fournier.

LOVE
THAT
BOY

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

haha my twitter account which has never tweeted is blocked by her, wonder who I'm following that's got me on her block list.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Am I misremembering or wasn't Sarah Jeong on the bitcoin beat and was posting in the YOSPOS bitcoin thread for a bit until people started getting weird?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Nathan Robinson (I know, I know) did an article about how he's tried to debate several of these "The left won't debate me" idiots, but they don't want to. Either the college won't even pony up travel fees for the leftist speaker (while a right-wing org is paying Shapiro or whoever a five-figure speaking fee) or they cancel the event when they learn that opposition is showing up.

Richard Wolff has a story about how he was lined up to debate Jorbp at some college, and at the last minute Jorbp ghosted (presumably after he looked up who Wolff was).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of blood ministration, doesn't feel good and changes - SCOURGE OF THE BEAST. Many such cases!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

You love to see it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

EXPLAIN STIRNER TO ME OR I'LL loving KILL YOU! DON'T DUMB IT DOWN INTO SOME VAGUE poo poo! EXPLAIN STIRNER TO ME RIGHT NOW OR I'LL LITERALLY loving KILL YOu! WHAT THE gently caress IS A CREATIVE NOTHING? WHAT THE gently caress ARE SPOOKS? DON'T DUMB IT DOWN OR I'LL loving KILL YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Zizek is one of those people where I can hear his gesticulations. If you've seen him talk once, you can hear his arms wildly flailing even when there's no video.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The one of devs of Disco Elysium on why the protagonist is male:

quote:

Kurvitz says that most games that offer a choice between male and female protagonists aren’t really doing so, and that it’s financially impossible to write a good male and female perspective with the production timelines involved. “They’re none of them, they’re soldiers, then, or saviours or something. They don’t have male or female characters in that way.” Disco Elysium’s protagonist is a man, “with all the baggage that entails”, and so they don’t want to just change the character portrait and call it a job well done. That being the case, they’re erring on the side of this female protagonist being an expansion.

“We don’t want to be superficial about it, it’s not just about the portrait image,” explains Metsniit. “It’s a whole universe of what the character would be like, differently. We’re not going to do it unless it’s perfect.”

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

The Expanse owns and I will fight anyone who disagrees

:hai:
https://youtu.be/uCd8MYnHTLw

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

kill la kill is on netflix now, i may rewatch that

dr stone is good. what is new this year that's also good? no giant robots

Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) is a fun swords and demons show with some great animation work.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The episode that Struggle Session just did with Brandon from the Discourse on Junji Ito was good.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Shame we never got a follow-up on this:
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1150228124455641093

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

T-man posted:

ps. watch evangelion if you haven't, i suggest doing so while very stoned to get my experience <3
:hai:
Then watch the Rebuilds in preparation for the last one coming out next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-rP_TW39CQ

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I don't know why but I can never remember how to soothe BB either, I've had to look it up like a half dozen times
Not like this that's for sure:
https://twitter.com/JacobGehnert/status/1193269990012534784

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

HIGH HOPES (sound on)
https://i.imgur.com/1pz5Z6B.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I just realized that I've now technically made an AMV.