Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the premium episode where they tear apart that libertarian was painful. poor guy retreated from almost all his points..

quote:

you might have 85% of the media controlled by a vast evil conglomerate, but at least I have freedom to pick my iphones color
an actual libertarian opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

we got Brandon Wardell talking about how he got really obsessed with the concept of "irony."

permabanned forums poster Brandon Wardell

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think I like them ragging on inconsequential opinion piece columnists nerds the most. Hearing Matt laugh instead of screaming about mutants and ghouls is a nice change of pace.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That tradcat interview was both unsettling and hilarious. I don't think I'll be listening to the full version because uh:catstare:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm going to listen to it on my way home but I half expect to tap out before it's over. That sounded uncomfortable.

I thought he'd just be a hyper catholic weirdo, but nope, he's a hyper catholic weirdo who unironically also wants to have Catholic sharia law.

The fact that even Will lost his cool is saying a lot.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

We're underselling the crazy. Dude sounded drunk as gently caress and told Amber he'd throw her in prison. Go listen for real. It's amazing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm actually really impressed with how respectful the Chapo dudes can be in the face of absolute insanity. They lasted longer then I could have.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

oatgan posted:

Right. Right. Right. And a fist can just as easily go right in the face of a two month old baby.

I'm a hedonistic sodomite, so I was certain he was gonna say "up an rear end", but then it got weirder

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

The funniest part of that whole thing was Will desperately trying to find common ground and consensus without even realizing he was Digglering.

:discourse:

Love that Ron

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSj84949LDI

high T *puffs cigarette*

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

so just lock unwed mothers in workhouses so they can be virtuous and never sin. it's not prison!

-Ireland, 1950's

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tag youre fat posted:

slight aside but you're giving them way too much credit there, the last laundry closed in 1996

Was using the date as a call back to what this creepo stated he viewed as an ordered society, but yeah, that's a disturbing fact.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think the old episodes are particularly listenable anymore, with all the times they say that Trump has no chance.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is this going to be a list of suicide hotline numbers?

Oh cool, in the future I can hear the groans of despair in much higher quality if I want to put myself through election night 2016 for the third time!

Which of you guys complained about this?

who the gently caress wants to relive that awful night?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

You don't have to wrap your message in a hulk parody account

That's the only way my emotionally fragile mind can handle discussing politics

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Finally listened to the episode, and drat I'm glad we have Chapo. The sincere sadness, anger, humor, determination all mixed up was exactly what I wanted.

I was afraid they'd retreat up their own asses with irony, but that was perfect. Amazing how far they've come from the first episode.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

The talk on how elite liberals just ignore the white working class is really good on the new premium Chapo episode.

Aren't they more accurately saying that we need to focus on working class, not necessarily white working class?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

There's a bit of a light schism going on Chapo and the folk around them about that, so I'm not surprised there was a mild "White Working Class" vs "Working Class" with C.KilPatrick on mic.

I think I need to give it a relisten, but I thought they generally agreed with each other?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Holy moley I need context :eyepoop:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm glad this breathless potato man threatened by two geeks in polos is standing up for masculinity :patriot:

Just wonderful

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dutchy posted:

It's funny how the hacks have latched onto one guy being the son of a New Yorker person and glossing over the other two's elite backgrounds, unemployed Midwesterner and freelance writer with a gym membership

To be fair, they are all 3 pretty privileged dudes. Matt is the closest to working class, but even he is from the academic world, Will was in the literary world, and Felix came from a decently wealthy upper middle class Jewish neighborhood (as far as I can tell)

That said, gently caress the hacks. The Chapo boys are using their privilege earnestly to try to change things, even if they shroud it in irony.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Matt grew up working class and dropped out of grad school, saying he has privilege from the academic world is a little off.

There's an episode about this where they take Charles Murray's quiz about living in a bubble; Matt's upbringing was much more rural-America than the others.

To me, being able to even think about grad school is a sign of some amount of privilege, but this is a stupid argument regardless so I'll shut up :)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Here are some of the Grey Wolf approved critiques of Chapo

https://twitter.com/thebennypaul/status/800764051739541504

I would really like the hosts to address these points, and I could see them doing so in a sincere manner.

It sounds stupid, but Chapo really has helped a lot of people, myself included, awaken politically, and finally articulate half-formed annoyances with the absurdity and horror of politics and media. They really have an opportunity with the rise of fascism and fall of centrism, to spread a very positive and useful message that can actually motivate people to effect change. Expanding their audience with honest self reflection can only be a good thing.

It's corny as gently caress, but their post election episodes have really shown the value of the show.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I think when they do dip in to earnestness it seems a lot more impactful because they drop the irony kayfabe, like Virgil at the end of the posts election episode or when Matt or one of the other guys comes to kind of a deeper understanding of things. I don't think it has to be like an episode of MASH with 80 percent irony and 20 percent earnest schmaltz but I guess I do enjoy hearing them talk when they're not just being funny too.

Their quote from the New Yorker piece about irony and humor being something solid to "bite down on" in the midst of our absurd world really stuck with me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

emdash posted:

37. It's a premium one

It's also the most unlistenable one, unless you like listening to permabanned poster Wardell drone about how irony gave him prodomal schizophrenia

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 22, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

TBH both did handle trans and queer matters in bumpy ways (A recent example came within discussion of that Colin Jost jab about gender options in Tinder being "why Democrats" lost with her being somewhat dismissive of folk disgusted at it), but they do seem open to criticism on addressing such matters in the future. Honestly Bouie/that other piece whose name I don't remember should have at least pointed at specific examples rather than outright just go "Yeah this podcast is bad bc of all this problematic content I can't quite pinpoint", and from reading folk around the Chapo Boys And Chapo Girl it seems that the frustration is more from how unspecific it is.

That does come from said podcast being now on this crossroads between being a joking show where friends get together and goof about the latest nonsense AND an avenue where a lot of people are getting the latest in political and social analysis. The spectre of "Oh dear, will this become another Daily Show" is starting to pop up.

There is definitely room for them to "do better" (:v:) when it comes to sensitive poo poo. I cringe just a little at the way the describe Elizabeth Holmes, for example.

That said, I don't know where to draw the line, their intentions seem good, and honestly I'm just not interested in the hand-wringing and ideology purity measuring implicit in a lot of critique.

Also, I don't think they will ever be as bad as the daily show. They are very good at transitioning between jokes and serious discussion, and rarely simply "smug", they usually are very good at pointing out exactly why some opinions are so heinous.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 25, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

They literally dissed him by name in a recent episode. That's awesome

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Regulation Size posted:

rolling with the punches is a classy move
it's awesome because it shows he can take a joke and not melt down like everyone else on the internet. Respect.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

emdash posted:

Mondays (and my nightmarish commutes) don't feel right w/o a new Chapo ep

I had a bummer morning too

Do better chapo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I hope one of them realizes that buying Kellogg is a dumb idea, shoves the boxes down his pants in a shoplifting attempt, and gets loving tazed.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I sincerely love Radiohead but lol at "the guy from Radiohead sounds like he's getting into a bath that's too hot all the time"

been waiting all week for this and they diss the media by which I define myself. brb writing tweetstorm

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Neera tweets like a severe alcoholic.

I'm convinced that all of the people Chapo mocks, with the exception of our ant covered baby boy, have some amount of drug problems.

I have to think that, because I can't imagine people being this broke brained.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Regulation Size posted:

Was Daou the one who said that sweatshops are a good thing? I'm getting these dozens of doofuses mixed up.

our boy Soave said that sweatshops are cool and good because you can get your iphone in a cool color

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Is the money even going to a charitable cause?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

what a good grift

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I almost want a full episode about this conspiracy poo poo, but I feel like it would rot my drat brain. A goddamn presidential appointee is tweeting about it :psyduck:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BBJoey posted:

given the avatar that's gotta be satire

Hal is earnestly tweeting about the tournament, so, doubt it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

padijun posted:

what episodes in the back catalog are considered "must listens?"

Oaxaca Flocka Flame (21?) is an incredibly interesting look at Mexican politics and the teacher strike.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I remember discussing the crank Grover Furr in DnD with a bunch of weird-rear end tankies who also said that North Korea being bad was CIA propaganda

....homework explainer, you were one of them weren't you?

edit: this poo poo is golddddddd. Most of it worse then Kahina imo

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've listened to a few episodes and I really love this podcast so far. Are there any standout episodes you guys could recommend?

The Douthat episodes are stand outs, The Blob is pretty great, and I personally really liked Oaxaca Flocka Flame.

Honestly you can't go wrong with most episodes. Some don't stand out as much, but they are all pretty entertaining.