Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
in case you've been following or interested in Cum Town, their latest episode interviewing David Cross is very very bad.

unfunny and trying to share headphones during the interview so it is completely awkward and uninteresting

edit: basically I'm chiming in that Chapo is great and I'm a proud Gray Wolf subscriber, but a lot of the podcasts they push are lovely.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

cum town is good and they were doing a bit and loving with david cross and it was good.

actually this last episode of cumtown was extremely bad

I enjoy it overall but it's spotty and this week was garbage.

edit: there is a lot of difference between we're doing a bit hahaha and objectively bad and boring, which was most of this last episode

it's ironic! they have a really bad and awkward interview! laugh out loud!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Somebody link Stav's nude instagram account

https://www.instagram.com/stavvybaby/?hl=en

obviously NSFW for man rear end

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
this is probably old hat, but I feel it is very relevant to the Chapoverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

How do I get into this podcast and understand any of the lingo in this thread

I dunno if there's that much lingo there's just a lot of in-jokes and callbacks.

tankies - hardcore leftist Stalin apologists who think Chapo is a CIA-backed propaganda operation
trad-Cath - traditional Catholics, the type that think Vatican II was modernist liberal heresy
volcel - voluntarily celibate, a man who chooses to not cum in order to preserve his male essence and vitality. The Chapo Boys are proof positive of the power of the volcel lifestyle and how failure is actually success.
incel - involuntarily celibate, someone who has never hosed because they're a gross nerd and/or men's rights activist.

Here are a few good early episodes to introduce you to some of the major in-jokes:

Ep 3, the adventures of Ross Douthat
Ep 6, an analysis of Batman v. Superman as Turkish politics
Ep 10, love that boy Ron Fournier

but really you should listen to all the episodes. If you're an SA forums poster your brain is sufficiently broken by the internet you don't need to be a Twitter user at all to get the jokes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Is that what rednecks sound like in Canada?

nah it's a low-key version of Democrat voice caused by autism

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yo chapo I hope your legal game is on point because uhhhh

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Bill Mitchell Was Right

~the silent majooority, is silent no more~

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

Now that intro is stuck in my head.

Yeah it's actually a catchy jingle, it's been on a continuous loop in my head since Trump's win was announced.

your voice radio, doo do doo

On the plus side Chapo will have no shortage of material until the Trumpstaffel sends them to Gitmo. RIP Democrat Voice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SousaphoneColossus posted:

he'd probably consider himself a pbcot

Yes and particularly for big black dick. He said that in an interview I made the mistake of watching

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm still new to this show and haven't listened to many episodes, but was wondering if they've ever talked about any of these thing, in no particular order:

- DAPL
- McSweeny's
- Million Dollar Extreme
- Paul Krugman
- David Brooks
- a picture of qirex at a rap concert

mostly no, they've made fun of David Brooks a few times for pushing French as a not-Trump presidential candidate but haven't ripped into him in depth

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
my 2c as a gay dude is they could certainly Do Better and have more LGBTQ or whatever non-cis/hetero guests, but they haven't even ironically been bigoted against LGBTQ people

the extent to which trans-people have been mentioned is joking about working in the trans Muslim gentrification store or whatever

Chapo has been pretty neutral w/r/t sexuality which is both bad and good

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Joementum posted:

They mention trans-people frequently on the show, when they read Rod Dreher and David French bathroom panic articles to make fun of their bigotry.

Sure, I guess my point is I'd like them to tackle LGBTQ issues directly rather than just mocking weirdo bathroom warrior pundits.

It seems to me that transgendered people and immigrants are the easiest pickings for discrimination and will be subject very soon to a lot of intense bullshit. Now that we're living with President Trump I'd appreciate more activism from the crew.

e: which isn't a judgment on the show really, it has taken a more activist and grim tone post-election. But, now more than ever it's really important to push left/progressive issues and activism in addition to our twice-weekly dosage of irony-bro leftist comedy.

If you're worried, go loving do something in your community.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 25, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Does Felix speak Arabic?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Literally posted:

On curiouscat.me Will said that he and Matt had never used the SA forums. He wasn't sure about Felix though.

I always figured Felix was the goon in the crew, of the original Chapo three he seems the most into weird/spectrum internet stuff.

Will is the fearless leader and host of the ever-popular Chapo Reading Series, Matt brings the serious Marxist commentary and certified Cushman Rants, Felix is the spectrum warrior of the crew and imo generally has the funniest quips.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

What's wrong with the cat that it's always throwing up and taking horrible shits

Failure is success. Check out the sweet TV, couch, and smoothie blender the dry boys (and girl) bought now that they're rolling in Patreon bucks.

Can you imagine what the future of Chapo has in store after putting up with the foul shits and barf of that hellbeast?

(Tibetan vomiting cat and reactions are hilarious)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pantsfree posted:

Matt's periscoping the inauguration viewing here https://www.periscope.tv/w/1dRKZXQolngJB

is that the Park Slope Mansion

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Speaking of recommendations, is there a "best of Chapo" list, maybe episodes that stand out?

Depends, are you just starting to listen? There are a few different recurring format/segments:

Standard politics / current events discussion and interviews
Movie reviews
Chapo Reading Series where they roast terrible pundits

The Ross Douthat (eps 3 and 30) and Caleb (49 and 64, both premium) reading series are some of the best and most popular bits. The post-election episode (58) is also one of my faves, as is the James Adomian (Bernie, Jesse Ventura, Slavoj Zizek impersonations) episode (46).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, agree, those are all great.

If by "best episodes" you include ones that are more informative than funny, there are a number of good interviews in addition to Adam Curtis. Eps 21 (Mexican teachers' strike), 10, 24, and one more somewhere I think (Derek Davison on foreign policy and the Middle East), 38 (women and labor rights in developing countries), 35 and 47 (life as a troop). There are more good ones but that's off the top of my head.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Yeah, I just listened to the Adam Curtis one, and one with Ben Shapiro's book. The Adam Curtis interview almost does a better job of explaining his ideas than "Hypernormality" does. Pretty good. I'm really interested in the pre-election stuff, and if there's any prescience or panic, so that'll be next.

check out the episodes on the conventions next, then

there is a little prescience when they talk about how terrible the DNC was but if you watch the election night video (do this eventually after you catch up on some of the Chapo in-jokes) it's pretty clear they all expected Hillary to win, but then so did most of us

edit: like, the Chapo boys trash Hillary and her campaign as being garbage and incompetent throughout but they expected her to still win the election

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The one where the cat takes a stinky dump.

and/or barfs, Ernest is a hero

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Precisely. "Normies" is a burn on the hosts of Chapo. They will be the first to tell you that they are (currently) fringe.

fringe and also spectrum

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Corek posted:

I think there used to be a twitter user named that. There's also a guy named "rear end McShit 2" which is another Felix running gag

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/802639701748420608
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/805957272841154560
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/806269748979912705

as much as I'm a Chapo and Felix fan in particular this is an extremely bad/dumb joke

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/834123783082483716

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the immediate post-election ep is one of my faves of all time, but the actual election night is pretty grim

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Doesn't Virgil have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis yet his twitter bio talks about how he loves coffee? Rule number one about having bowel problems: Don't drink coffee when you have poo poo to do that does not let you freely go to the toilet.

I always assumed the "diarrhea boy" thing was just a joke

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

felix has such a teeny head on such a huge body

you're just jealous of his alpha male physique

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Folsom street fair owns

True story, the time I went to Folsom the very first thing I saw after walking through the security checkpoint was a fully naked old man with URINAL and an up arrow drawn in marker on his chest

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

PissPig's coverage of the Nazi Free Speech rally is great
https://twitter.com/pisspiggranddad/status/853358827785170944

the jeans, shoes, and posture have my gaydar screaming

e: I mean not to dunk on the guy just because of height but that's unusually short

I dated a 5'6" guy, I'm 6'3", it gets weird

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

cuffs aren't rolled, bicurious at best

my read is closeted bottom

GNOME SUPREMACY

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I like Matt on Twitter and the podcast but honestly the first 3-4 paragraphs of this are awful, impenetrable writing. It's good after that but it reads like Matt started writing that sober and spent way too much time with a thesaurus, then as he got more drunk/stoned just started free-flow ranting which reads far better.

edit: basically the writing style reads as very academic and passive-voiced to me.

quote:

While most other left parties in the West emerged from the labor militancy of the late-nineteenth century, creating mass membership bases and close structural ties to labor unions, the Democratic Party, having existed in some form since the early Republic, absorbed working-class voters into their broader electoral coalition without offering any kind of built-in commitment to their agenda in exchange.

ow my head

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 13, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The content is good, the writing at times is not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

1. Choose Your Own Adventure
2. Everything else

1: CYOA
2: Land of Xanth novels
3: Animorphs
4: Goosebumps
5: Sword of Truth series

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Nick Mullen enjoys mocking rape victims almost as much as he likes to say the n word

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Barbe Rouge posted:

neither do I
if they do something dumb, fine, call it out, call them idiots, whatever
but when someone posts a pic in which they're saying they were raped (even if it smells to me of something halfway between using your own tragedy for online recognition and a #Resist! cringy pic and makes me uncomfortable), making fun of it is way over the line in my moral settings

it is not a very good joke, but you do realize that it's you who are the butt of it and not the rape victim lady? it's fine if you don't like that brand of edgelord irony but the humor is in mocking people getting upset over an obviously stupid / non-serious post

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Serf posted:

felix has now referenced amelia bedelia twice on the pod

felix is a trans woman, how dare you insult her

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
A few episodes back when they interviewed Jesse Ventura, was that the real Jesse or Adomian doing an impression?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The outro music that Amber (the best Chapo) mentioned is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

It's an Italian production of nonsense English meant to sound like how non-English speakers hear American English.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
crossposting from the SA Christianity thread (which is actually cool and good and extremely chill and LGBT-tolerant):

quote:

My diocese, as far as I know, has never had a problem except for a creepy priest writing Twilight-adjacent self-published novels about teenage werewolf sex. While understandably a bad career move.

okay so

it's not werewolf sex it's actually weirder. the furor over it concentrated on the whole teens having sex part but uh...oversexed immortal transhumanists conquer the world, turn it into a libertine rape playground and invent nanomachines that go rogue and punish the rulers with unceasing orgasms. you, too, can read the black swan chronicles for three dollars.

in addition, I have no doubts about the author's chastity but he should probably see a therapist. and never write anything ever again.

extremely normal sexuality

you're welcome

e: it's like Ross Douthat meets Elon Musk plus a generous serving of :catdrugs:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 29, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pomplamoose posted:

Stupid question but they keep referring to Trump as big and wet. What’s the meaning/origin of that?

I dunno the exact origin but it's from waaay before Florence.

I remember "big wet meal baby" like almost a year ago or more.

Some googling suggests "wet boy" might be slang for 1) a pussy, a coward or 2) someone who has a sexual fetish for pissing their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eegah! posted:

Its a reference to wet brain which is a mental disorder. Its basically one of their many ways of calling him retarded without calling him that.

Let me spell this out real clearly: there is a huge difference between punching up and punching down. It's totally okay to make fun of our mush-brain idiot toddler President because he's the loving President of the United States, it's surreal and tragic that someone so stupid and simple-minded got into a position of that much power.

Plus, Trump has literally said he's a "very stable genius" and that world leaders complimented him on his "large brain." That just invites mockery of his mental faculties, or lack thereof.