Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the best part IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently there’s 4 color variants and each one has 4 different games.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1268036413699665920?s=21

I kinda want it but the Game Gear library definitely is not near the quality of the Game Boy. Are there any hidden gems?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That is super cute. If it turns out to be hackable, I'm interested.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

davidspackage posted:

That is super cute. If it turns out to be hackable, I'm interested.

It has a USB port so it absolutely will be.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what the hell... it would have made more sense to put out a full sized game gear with a poo poo load of battery life.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It's cute as hell and it'd look cool on my shelf, but eh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SeANMcBAY posted:

It has a USB port so it absolutely will be.

They probably only put a NAND on it just big enough for the four games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cojawfee posted:

They probably only put a NAND on it just big enough for the four games.

it'd be more expensive to make one with that small amount of space than it would be to just use a mass produced larger one. thats why the NES/SNES classic both have tons of free space built into them

theres some wait-and-see but most likely any storage space included is going to be enough for like the entire gamegear library to be loaded on one of these

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I kinda want it but the Game Gear library definitely is not near the quality of the Game Boy. Are there any hidden gems?

On the Micros? A few, but they're all Japan-only.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sea Lily posted:

it'd be more expensive to make one with that small amount of space than it would be to just use a mass produced larger one.
Taking this further, I bet that all four variants actually have the same filesystem image with all 16 ROMs and the UI probably does a hardware serial number check or something to determine which four to list for play.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Grant DaNasty posted:

Sega is making a Game Gear Micro.

It reminds me of a PocketSprite which was a sort of keychain sized gameboy looking thing that ran off of one of those wifi microcontrollers. It was also super tiny and a bit expensive.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That looks smaller than the GBA micro, which I bought for like $35 on black Friday once and the novelty wore off quickly

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Yeah, TG16 gonna be my last one I think, 5 is enough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d buy that only for like $20 as a novelty. I was a spoiled brat that had a Game Gear in addition to my Game Boy and even as a 7 year old I could clearly see that GB had much better games. Tails Adventure is probably the only exclusive I’d see myself ever playing again. 8 bit Sonic 1 is okay there’s no reason to play the GG version over the Master System one.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Most interested in the Shining Force games but they are trapped in a hideous yellow shell. I'll wait for the Analogue Pocket I guess.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hot Stunt posted:

Most interested in the Shining Force games but they are trapped in a hideous yellow shell. I'll wait for the Analogue Pocket I guess.

The Shining Force games interest me the most too, but I'd rather not play such a text-heavy game on a screen that size.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hot Stunt posted:

Have we heard anything about the Pocket since announcement? I’m wondering what’s going on with it. I expect delays due to covid but I’m curious if there’s been updates.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The cynical part of me thinks that the sudden unexpected new production run on the Analogue NT made them adjust their timetable. I'm hoping there's news on it after those ship.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Sarchasm posted:

The Shining Force games interest me the most too, but I'd rather not play such a text-heavy game on a screen that size.

Same, though since English versions are doubtful the best option is likely the action games. Unless they’re hackable, in which case one could just upload the translations. And it also seems to be the case with these devices that the internal storage is higher than just the games included. So in buying one, you might be able to upload 20-30 games. So the biggest factor may end up being that tiny rear end screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm surprised by how much discussion I've seen around Game Gear Micro - first off, it's clearly just a collectible toy that happens to play games as opposed to a genuine successor to Genesis Mini, but either way, Game Gear sucked and even a human-sized version with 40 games or whatever wouldn't be that interesting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone even name some halfway decent Game Gear exclusives other than Tails Adventure? I’m curious if there’s really anything else there. The other Sonic games range from mediocre to dogshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the RPGs on those Micros are comparable in quality to the best Game Boy RPGs of the day, but most of them never came out in English. The first and second Shining Force games were remade as Shining Force CD but the third one remains GG-exclusive.

The two Aleste shmups are great - the second one came out in English as Power Strike 2.

Sega did a bunch of Mickey/Donald games that are completely different to the Genesis games, even the 8-bit version of Castle of Illusion is basically a different game. They're not all exclusives but the later ones were definitely made for GG first so the SMS ports, if and where they exist, can be kinda janky.

The two Shinobi games are pretty good, and the Batman Returns game that came out later is sort of based on those. (Batman's on both GG and SMS but it's not exactly the same game.)

Ristar and Dynamite Headdy got surprisingly decent adaptations for Game Gear, moreso than Gunstar Heroes which is impressive but not really all that playable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Japan didn't get Wonder Boy III for the Master System, because by that point they discontinued the console. They did, however, get Wonder Boy III on the Game Gear in 1992.

I guess Europe got that port also?

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 6, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The VR Troopers Game Gear game used some unique routine sprite trickery to have some pretty detailed sprites without a lot of slowdown or flicker but I think it was the only game to do it and the game sucks rear end.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I remember Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Chaos seemed good on GG. Not much else. I had a godawful Ren & Stimpy game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

b_d posted:

I remember Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Chaos seemed good on GG. Not much else. I had a godawful Ren & Stimpy game.

Every platform was blessed with an unique awful Ren and Stimpy game. Same with Simpsons. I had the Game Boy one and it was close with Escape from Camp Deadly as the worst GB game I owned. I had Bart Vs. Space Mutants on Game Gear and it was also poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Every platform was blessed with an unique awful Ren and Stimpy game. Same with Simpsons. I had the Game Boy one and it was close with Escape from Camp Deadly as the worst GB game I owned. I had Bart Vs. Space Mutants on Game Gear and it was also poo poo.
Pretty much all the Ren & Stimpy and a good chunk of the 8-bit Simpsons games were by Imagineering, aka the developers of A Boy And His Blob. Their output mostly stank!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i just bought an snes classic off of ebay and got the wireless controllers and am ready to roll. now deciding between the rpg: ff3, mario rpg, secret of mana, and earthbound. i have never completed any of them, but have played a few hours of each. where would you start?

e: also, is there any way i can get chrono trigger on this thing? it's like the only game it's missing. and if it's not possible to get chrono trigger on here, what is the best way to play it nowadays?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 7, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The SNES Classic is absurdly easy to hack and add games onto. Use Hakchi 2 CE. It'll give you step by step instructions on how to flash and load ROMs onto the system. Then play Chrono Trigger on it.

https://github.com/TeamShinkansen/Hakchi2-CE/releases

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

abelwingnut posted:

so i just bought an snes classic off of ebay and got the wireless controllers and am ready to roll. now deciding between the rpg: ff3, mario rpg, secret of mana, and earthbound. i have never completed any of them, but have played a few hours of each. where would you start?

e: also, is there any way i can get chrono trigger on this thing? it's like the only game it's missing. and if it's not possible to get chrono trigger on here, what is the best way to play it nowadays?

Play Mario RPG first since it’s the easiest imo.

It’s absurdly easy to hack.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks. will do soon enough.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I had to completely quit out of my vpn program to use Hakchi, so just a heads up if you are having issues with the snes not talking to your computer.

Didn't matter if it was disconnected had to be quit completely.

But yeah it's so easy to use. My kids love it and I've also loaded it up with nes, and sega games and they all work fantastic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Don’t forget to add cool games that never officially came out in America with fan translations like Marvelous. Eiji Aonuma’s first game. It works fine with most games with hacks, patches, etc. applied so have fun.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

b_d posted:

Sonic Chaos is godawful on both SMS and GG.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bart vs. the Space Mutants is the weirdest goddamn game regardless of platform, and a lot of that weirdness is that it came out on every-loving-thing and all of the versions are significantly different from each other. I can't actually tell which is the original, though I suspect it's either the NES or C64 versions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I can't actually tell which is the original, though I suspect it's either the NES or C64 versions.
The NES was the lead platform, everything else seems to have been farmed out to another studio in the UK.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Bart vs. the Space Mutants is the weirdest goddamn game regardless of platform, and a lot of that weirdness is that it came out on every-loving-thing and all of the versions are significantly different from each other. I can't actually tell which is the original, though I suspect it's either the NES or C64 versions.

This makes me want to try the other versions because I only played it on the NES as a kid and holy poo poo that game is loving weird.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I had it on NES but I never could get very far in it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've played the NES and Genesis versions of BvsSM. I'm not sure I ever got past the first level on NES, but did get to the boss of the fourth level on Genesis. Why younger me rented an awful game on multiple platforms I'll never understand, but that version was more slightly more forgiving with its terribleness.

Pretty sure the platforming hitboxes had slight variances according to gaming magazines way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have a creative way of displaying their various mini consoles? Was thinking of buying a floating shelf to put them on since let's be honest, they're more for show than for play. :)