Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Custard Undies posted:

I'm the guy with a Mini C64, which managed to screw up the most important thing.... the bloody joystick.....

I'm the guy still waiting on the full size reproduction with the working keyboard. I think it might be out in the UK but I haven't found it in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Nullsmack posted:

I'm the guy still waiting on the full size reproduction with the working keyboard. I think it might be out in the UK but I haven't found it in the USA.

Ouch, yeah its been out for possibly 6 months or so. I was tempted to buy one, as it at least has a better joystick and the working keyboard, but decided not to.

It's certainly way better than the mini at least.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks like the TG-16 Mini got popular enough that people are sicking bots on it to fake a market shortage.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrigaar posted:

Looks like the TG-16 Mini got popular enough that people are sicking bots on it to fake a market shortage.

I kinda regret returning mine now. I couldn't really justify it when I had most of the best games on Wii U/Wii. I only have so much space and HDMI ports for consoles.:smith:

Edit: If anyone feels like playing TG16 games legally and has a Wii U, I really recommend picking them up there. M2 did the emulation for the TG16 VC so it’s not poo poo like NES VC and they’re in 1080p as opposed to 720p like on the TG16 Mini. No input lag like the SNES VC too. Most of the classics are up. No CD games unfortunately.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 2, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! Meet the Sega Astro City Mini.

The system will have 36 arcade games loaded on. The first games confirmed:
Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
Columns II
Dark Edge
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

It'll have proper microswitch controls, HDMI out, two USB-A ports, a Micro USB port, and a headphone jack. It'll hit Japan around the end of the year for ¥12,800 (~US$120).

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 7, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Well, holy poo poo, it's everything Neo Geo Mini was supposed to be and more and I'm pretty sure it's very hackable to boot. I might trade my euro SNES Classic in when it comes out and use the money to import this beauty, that form factor :kimchi:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Columns II
Dark Edge
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

It'll have proper microswitch controls, HDMI out, two USB-A ports, a Micro USB port, and a headphone jack. It'll hit Japan around the end of the year for ¥12,800 (~US$120).

That's pretty neat, wonder what the rest of the games will be, would be neat if they put something like SegaSonic The Hedgehog on there(assuming they could figure out how to make it play right without a trackball)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

drrockso20 posted:

That's pretty neat, wonder what the rest of the games will be, would be neat if they put something like SegaSonic The Hedgehog on there(assuming they could figure out how to make it play right without a trackball)

I'm sure it's going to be the same games that are on every Sega classics release ever :D

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm going to go hide in a corner and chant to myself that I have enough of these fancy little Android boxes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Columns II
Dark Edge
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

Is there a list or wiki somewhere of games that've been on Astro City cabs to get an idea of what might crop up on this thing?

Andrigaar posted:

I'm going to go hide in a corner and chant to myself that I have enough of these fancy little Android boxes.

That just makes it easier for me to get one!! :shepspends:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there a list or wiki somewhere of games that've been on Astro City cabs to get an idea of what might crop up on this thing?
Pretty much everything JAMMA-compatible that fit, it was a universal cabinet. To be more realistic, though, let's say anything by Sega from 1986 through to 1996.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Pretty much everything JAMMA-compatible that fit, it was a universal cabinet. To be more realistic, though, let's say anything by Sega from 1986 through to 1996.

The annoying thing is a lot of the best Sega cab games also have idiosyncratic controls (eg; most of the Virtua/Virtual games, Afterburner, Hang-On, etc), and/or are licensed properties (most of the racing titles). I do think you're right about the timespan, but for argument's sake I'd wager the cutoff is a smidge closer to 1997/1998. Simply because anything past that is getting into NAOMI territory and a Dreamcast mini's potential lineup. If we're very lucky, maybe we'll see Radiant Silvergun on it.

I've also been looking at a list of Sega-released arcade games released to get some idea of what might appear, and I'm only now learning there's an Azumanga Daioh version of Puzzle Bobble?! :magical:.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This game has such a weird look. The scaling sprites probably didn't look great back when this released either. The idea is neat but it's not working here. I don't think I ever saw this in an arcade growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXZ9f-dCMM

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It looked super cool when it was new, the problem is the directional inputs are all relative to the angle of the other character so it's impossible to do any of the special moves because the characters are constantly circling around each other.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Got a TG16 Mini finally (thanks Amazon Japan!) and holy gently caress Blazing Lazers is outstanding, my thumb for the dpad is killing me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Good soup! posted:

Got a TG16 Mini finally (thanks Amazon Japan!) and holy gently caress Blazing Lazers is outstanding, my thumb for the dpad is killing me

Pfft, get on my level

https://twitter.com/Dave_Horwitz/status/1286474810009124866?s=20

(not actually me, I don't have one but now I kinda want one)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I know that most regular controllers won't work with the TG16 Mini, despite the connector being USB, but has anybody checked to see if you can plug TG16 Mini controllers into a PC?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Pfft, get on my level

https://twitter.com/Dave_Horwitz/status/1286474810009124866?s=20

(not actually me, I don't have one but now I kinda want one)

hahaha what the hell

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I use hakchi for my SNESmini and never had any issues with it, but setting up Sega CD stuff on my Genesis mini was loving miserable for some reason, followed all the steps and even had a friend watching over my shoulder as I did it

swapped to Project Lunar instead and every game worked on the first try :thunk:

Really, really hoping for TG16 support soon (from either one), I want to fill this thing out with a ton of stuff and some extra CD games too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Good soup! posted:

I use hakchi for my SNESmini and never had any issues with it, but setting up Sega CD stuff on my Genesis mini was loving miserable for some reason, followed all the steps and even had a friend watching over my shoulder as I did it

swapped to Project Lunar instead and every game worked on the first try :thunk:

Really, really hoping for TG16 support soon (from either one), I want to fill this thing out with a ton of stuff and some extra CD games too

Which is weird cause I couldn't get Project Lunar to work at all for my Genesis Mini(which between that and my acquisition of an RG350 means I'll likely be selling it soon to try and make back some of the money I spent on the thing)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I just ordered both an NES and SNES off of Nintendo's store because they're cute and I want them and when they were initially out I didn't really have the money to get them but now I do. I'm perfectly fine with just the regular lineup of games but all of the computers in my house are Macs, is the only way to get hackchi onto the Minis really a virtual machine? that poo poo is a hassle

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Which is weird cause I couldn't get Project Lunar to work at all for my Genesis Mini(which between that and my acquisition of an RG350 means I'll likely be selling it soon to try and make back some of the money I spent on the thing)

drat that sucks, I never had any other problems with hakchi so it's disappointing because I'd like to have just one centralized program for my consoles

Now that I've got my TG16, I think I'm done with getting mini consoles even if any others come out - can't imagine there is much demand for a 3DO or Jaguar and I can think of precisely zero things I was ever interested in playing on them

again, fingers crossed for hakchi/PL support soon, wanna play through Dawn of Ys with that English text/voice patch and the PSP translation patch for Rondo of Blood

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
How do I update my SNES Classic that I used the old Hakchi2 ages ago so I can use the newer Hakchi2 CE to add games? The laptop I used to flash it originally isn’t working, so I understand I might lose the ROMs and saves that are on the SNES Classic now.

I mean when I googled, there’s a few guides but I just wanted to know if anyone can point me to one that worked for them, I really don’t want to brick my system.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Kins posted:

Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Columns II
Dark Edge
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

Isn't Virtua Fighter notoriously hard to emulate? This thing might have some muscle behind it, I'm looking forward to the jailbreak.

Also, gently caress whoever moved this thread out of Games and made me miss out on the cheap neo geo mini deal a few months ago. We don't all live in our bookmarks!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
There's a retro sub?! Have had this bookmarked so long I didn't notice that these threads were shuffled into the basement to be forgotten by everyone else.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Custard Undies posted:

Ouch, yeah its been out for possibly 6 months or so. I was tempted to buy one, as it at least has a better joystick and the working keyboard, but decided not to.

It's certainly way better than the mini at least.

I picked up TheC64 at the start of the year and it's a much better experience than the mini. Same people have a Vic20 model due out before the end of the year. Believe internals are the same as TheC64, differences being the case and the game list containing more Vic20 games and less C64 ones.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Boody posted:

I picked up TheC64 at the start of the year and it's a much better experience than the mini. Same people have a Vic20 model due out before the end of the year. Believe internals are the same as TheC64, differences being the case and the game list containing more Vic20 games and less C64 ones.

It’s just the styling and preloads that are changing, right? Doesn’t TheC64 Maxi already have VIC20 compatibility you you can load anything from either system on USB?

Edit: I’m dumb as the marketing box notes TheVIC20 is a Limited Edition of TheC64.

Tewdrig fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2020

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
SNK is releasing a bartop that can be extended into a (roughly) 3/4ths scale arcade cabinet: http://snkmvsx.com/.

50 games, $500. Six buttons per player for some reason. Looks neat!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ControlV posted:

SNK is releasing a bartop that can be extended into a (roughly) 3/4ths scale arcade cabinet: http://snkmvsx.com/.

That’s definitely the most I’ve been tempted of any of these arcade cabinet releases but I just snagged a NT Mini preorder this morning.:(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ControlV posted:

Definitely seems like it could set a new gold standard for these prefab arcade units

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

8th time lucky with SNK. Maybe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s definitely the most I’ve been tempted of any of these arcade cabinet releases but I just snagged a NT Mini preorder this morning.:(

Congrats on snagging one of those.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Congrats on snagging one of those.

I'm shocked still I was able to get one. I'll definitely be posting my thoughts here in November when it comes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

drrockso20 posted:

Definitely seems like it could set a new gold standard for these prefab arcade units

I like the Arcade1ups for what they are, but the size really is a concern if 2 players are playing it. Not so bad for simple games, but fighting games get a bit crowded. I modded my Street Fighter cabinet into a full blow Emulation Station machine, and it was awesome for a bit, but it just made me want a full size cabinet.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019

Medullah posted:

I like the Arcade1ups for what they are, but the size really is a concern if 2 players are playing it. Not so bad for simple games, but fighting games get a bit crowded.

The Arcade1ups are 19 inches wide and this SNK cab is 15, so now I have some serious doubts about 2-player...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ControlV posted:

The Arcade1ups are 19 inches wide and this SNK cab is 15, so now I have some serious doubts about 2-player...

Oh wow, the photos made me think it’s much bigger. gently caress that then.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been in touch with the MVSX people (for an upcoming review on the front page assuming Jeffrey's deal works out) and have a few additional details.

1. I asked about the possibility of adding games, since an SNK machine without Neo Turf Masters, Windjammers, and King of the Monsters doesn't seem right. They told me that in 2021 it will have "3rd party support and ways to use the USB port"

2. The six button layout seems odd, unless they plan to support Capcom-style titles as well. In reponse, I was told that I was on the right track.

So it looks like this will be a unit that supports multiple arcade platforms, as opposed to Arcade1Up's model of selling tons of relatively cheaper machines that officially support a handful of titles.

I also asked about the stick/button manufacturer but haven't received confirmation yet. Oh, and one last weird thing. The machine comes with Terry Bogard and Iori Yagami figures. I haven't seen them anywhere so here's the image I was given:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i wasn't aware you could make something more hideous than a funkopop, god drat

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I will not tolerate this flagrant discrimination against neckbeards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

2. The six button layout seems odd, unless they plan to support Capcom-style titles as well. In reponse, I was told that I was on the right track.

At this time I will assume that they will be adding the CvS games and get my hopes unreasonably high.