Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

M2 are goddamn legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe I shouldn't have cancelled my pre-orders. Oh well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't they only have like two games per model?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Four. Which makes sense because there were only four good game gear games anyway.

Unfortunately they spread them across five models

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MatchaZed posted:

M2 are goddamn legends

It almost makes me want one now reading that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really don't want to want this dumb thing. I already have a dozen ways to play game gear games, and one of them is half the size of the micro.

But God help me, I do want it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't they only have like two games per model?

Black has Sonic, Puyo Puyo 2, Outrun and Royal Stone

Blue has Sonic Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale and Baku Baku Animal

Yellow has the three Shining Force Gaiden games plus Nazo Puyo: Arle no Roux

Red has Megami Tensei: Gaiden Last Bible, Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special, GG Shinobi and Columns

and there's also a white one with GG Aleste, GG Aleste 2, the Master System Aleste (Power Strike), the EU-only Master System sequel Power Strike 2, and GG Aleste 3 which is a brand-new Game Gear sequel, but it's only available as part of the limited-edition bundle for Aleste Collection PS4/Switch and they've been scalped to hell

The idea is that they're just cute toys that happen to be functional, not comprehensive collections or whatever.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't know. I have no idea where mine is, but the original screen was definitely much bigger than that. 4 games for 50 dollars? and a big magnifying glass tv as an additional model? The premise sounds pretty hard to gently caress up, but it feels like they made every effort to make this unappealing.

You can also kill someone very easily with the original game gear, not to mention the battery charger, this thing looks like it could barely hurt someone

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't know. I have no idea where mine is, but the original screen was definitely much bigger than that. 4 games for 50 dollars? and a big magnifying glass tv as an additional model? The premise sounds pretty hard to gently caress up, but it feels like they made every effort to make this unappealing.

You can also kill someone very easily with the original game gear, not to mention the battery charger, this thing looks like it could barely hurt someone

I think you could harm someone pretty well with 4 of those bad boys on a spicy keychain.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RandomFerret posted:

I really don't want to want this dumb thing. I already have a dozen ways to play game gear games, and one of them is half the size of the micro.

But God help me, I do want it

You should get it just to support their efforts

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

They're not meant to be a serious console, just dumb collectibles designed to take money away from people suffering from a harmful case of the nostalgia. I know this, I am exactly the kind of idiot who suddenly wants all of them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SEGA is considering a Dreamcast Mini.

:stare:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would purchase this mini console.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

yyyyyyyyessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1234191776568745984

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was kinda hoping for a mini Saturn

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

I was kinda hoping for a mini Saturn

I’d be down with this since Saturn is the only Sega console I missed. I missed CD and 32x too but those don’t count.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only if I can put a tiny little CD in it to get it to play PSX roms.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CcmUtY2fY

Hot off the presses, the game gear micro runs linux

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be down with this since Saturn is the only Sega console I missed. I missed CD and 32x too but those don’t count.

Just out of curiosity, what would a Sega Saturn Mini look like library-wise aside from one or more Panzer Dragoons?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Twenty fighting games, and Grandia.

Incidentally, that would also be the ideal library for the Dreamcast mini

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomFerret posted:

Twenty fighting games, and Grandia.

Incidentally, that would also be the ideal library for the Dreamcast mini

I think a Dreamcast Mini would probably the only one I'm not interested in getting, because I probably own 90%+ of the games that'd appear on one :v:. The only game that'd make me snap one up is Project Justice 2, because have you seen the price of that lately? :yikes:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nights, Saturn Bomberman, Clockwork Knights, and Burning Rangers would be some cool games they could put on a Saturn Mini.

EDIT: Radiant Silvergun!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Guardian Heroes too and I’d like to give the better version of Silhouette Mirage a try

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really think I’d be more interested in a Mini Saturn after thinking about it. The games aren’t ported as much, there’s a lot of unique versions for multi platform games, and the controller would be a lot more useful with other platforms if it’s USB.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I suspect a Dreamcast Mini is more likely to happen, purely on account of a Dreamcast being easier to emulate on the cheap-n-crappy chipsets these mini-consoles typically run off. Saturn emulation is hard!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

I suspect a Dreamcast Mini is more likely to happen, purely on account of a Dreamcast being easier to emulate on the cheap-n-crappy chipsets these mini-consoles typically run off. Saturn emulation is hard!

That’s a good point. I hope at least M2 is working on some ports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think a Dreamcast Mini's gotta really bank on nostalgia a little more than other similar consoles, because a good chunk of the library already has re-releases. If not better versions of those games altogether. Some titles are obligatory (Sonic, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue maybe), but it'd still be cool to see some games like Skies of Arcadia, Chu Chu Rocket, Headhunter, Power Stone 2, or even Phantasy Star Online ver.2 get some love.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nights, Saturn Bomberman, Clockwork Knights, and Burning Rangers would be some cool games they could put on a Saturn Mini.

EDIT: Radiant Silvergun!

If they do NiGHTS, they gotta do Christmas NiGHTS too :colbert:.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would a Sega Saturn Mini look like library-wise aside from one or more Panzer Dragoons?

Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyytoooooooooooonnnnnnnaaaaaaaaa!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shining Force, Dragon Force (Not Fighting Force), Guardian Heroes, Segata Sanshiro Shinken Yugi, Exhumed, Dark Savior, Saturn Bomberman, Death Tank Zwei (somehow), Keio 2, Sega loving Rally, Fighters Megamix, Vatlva, Shining The Holy Ark, Athlete Kings, Die Hard Arcade, Virtua Cop. Sooo many more.

Yes, the Saturn is my favourite system. Possibly because I grew up with the Mega Drive and this was the first time I experienced a 'Next Generation'. Still, there is so much stuff that is buried on it and so much by Sega themselves. I'm so glad I got in early on the Satiator. My son is loving the Capcom fighting games so far and I am happily surprised with Saturn Bomberman Fight.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A mini-Saturn's library would run into licensing issues since I doubt any of the VS. games would make it, and maybe not the SNK games that used the 1MB or 4MB carts, but I'd be rooting for all of Treasure's Library and Legend of Oasis (Something Thor 2 for ye Japan and EU) at least for third party games. Panzer Dragoon everything for first party. I also think they finally ported the janky SotN with a nerfed Maria into the PSP Rondo of Blood collection
:thunk:

I'm still a little sad that the teeny Game Gears are Japan-only, which gets mentioned again in the reports about Sega being shocked they sold out before launch. Though I'm sure aging thumbs and eyes are quietly cheering that decision.

I can't even daydream of what janky early 3rd-person games I'd want on a Dreamcast Mini. Because, let's be honest, there's going to be a plethora of games with trash camera systems and early 3D.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is that a Dreamcast mini needs to have Seaman on it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I also think they finally ported the janky SotN with a nerfed Maria into the PSP Rondo of Blood collection
:thunk:
The PSP's implementation of Maria is very different from the Saturn's, and more like how she played in Rondo of Blood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drrockso20 posted:

All I know is that a Dreamcast mini needs to have Seaman on it

Judging by how many of us are absolutely in LOVE with the original console, I can't see that being a problem :gizz:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if there's a dreamcast mini it better have Power Stone 2 and Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

those two games are basically the best DC exclusives (I know Power Stone got a PSP port but lmao)

e: like, seriously, if you have a DC and a copy of the game or a way to play backups, do not loving sleep on the Spawn game. it's basically Power Stone with guns and a 90s edge aesthetic, and it's every bit as good and fun as Power Stone if not slightly moreso

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have a soft spot for Shadowman, even though it somehow replaced the startup screen on my VMU with a picture of a teddy bear being stabbed and I could never figure out how to change it back

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RandomFerret posted:

I have a soft spot for Shadowman, even though it somehow replaced the startup screen on my VMU with a picture of a teddy bear being stabbed and I could never figure out how to change it back

I’m looking forward to the remaster of that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

if there's a dreamcast mini it better have Power Stone 2 and Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

those two games are basically the best DC exclusives (I know Power Stone got a PSP port but lmao)

e: like, seriously, if you have a DC and a copy of the game or a way to play backups, do not loving sleep on the Spawn game. it's basically Power Stone with guns and a 90s edge aesthetic, and it's every bit as good and fun as Power Stone if not slightly moreso

This guy knows what is up... also Outtrigger and Alien Front Online

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would kill for either of the power stones. make it so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so assuming it has 16gb of storage like the PS1 Classic, that's enough to fill it with 13-14 games and still have space for OS files and the emulator files and etc.

here's my theorycrafted list for what a good DC Classic would have:

Cannon Spike
Crazy Taxi 2
Dynamite Cop
Gauntlet Legends
Guilty Gear X
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Power Stone 2
Sega Rally 2
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2